Sunday Mass

I was brought up RC and we were strongly discouraged from working on Sunday, in fact as a non-Catholic doing work for some devout Catholics I was not permitted or strongly discouraged from doing work for them on Sundays.
In a certain sense I get this, honoring various OT Sabbaths was commanded ny the ten commandments. So ascribing a day or days of rest (not any particular day per Rom 14) to the NT Christian makes sense to me. I think of it as fulfilling a placeholder of the OT commandment, yet understanding Christ is our Sabbath Rest. Similarly honoring those God has placed over you has NT life application as well. Whether it be your teachers, bosses, your civic leaders, pastors, elders, parents etc, these are all being fulfilled by extension, as the placeholder for honoring your mother and father under the old [OT].
I was brought up RC, sent to RC schools. We were taught not to work on Sundays but my dad worked 7 days a week. He didn't have to go to mass ever. Seems heaven can be brought in the RCC.

I was brought up RC and we were strongly discouraged from working on Sunday,
And yet, and yet, the Italian bakery directly across Wellwood Ave. from OLPH RC church in Lindenhurst was open on Sunday! Even as a child I was puzzled by that. Maybe they had a Special Papal Dispensation? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seems heaven can be bought in the RCC
Well, isn't that what "works righteousness" is? Buying a stairway to Heaven? "Lord! Look at all we've done for you!"
On the day when God judges, people will say, “Master, Master! We used your authority and we told people a message from you. We used your authority and we caused bad spirits to come out of people. We used your authority to do many powerful things.” Then I will say to these people, “I never knew you. You do not obey God; you are bad. So go away from me.” ’ Mat 7:22-23 [EasyEnglish]

Well, isn't that what "works righteousness" is? Buying a stairway to Heaven? "Lord! Look at all we've done for you!"
On the day when God judges, people will say, “Master, Master! We used your authority and we told people a message from you. We used your authority and we caused bad spirits to come out of people. We used your authority to do many powerful things.” Then I will say to these people, “I never knew you. You do not obey God; you are bad. So go away from me.” ’ Mat 7:22-23 [EasyEnglish]
true

And yet, and yet, the Italian bakery directly across Wellwood Ave. from OLPH RC church in Lindenhurst was open on Sunday! Even as a child I was puzzled by that. Maybe they had a Special Papal Dispensation? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Some are less devout, and likely wouldn't be bothered. I think a dispensation for that type of thing would be up to a pastor's discretion like those who receive communion. Also maybe the bakery provided a good and worthwhile service to parishioners. Breakfast joints have big money makers on Church days as another example. I suppose if the church decided to crackdown on the bakery it would also have to crackdown the would be customers. We used to have blue laws around here. They were bizarre and suppose to govern purchases on Sundays in particular with moral reasoning.

Last edited:
Some are less devout, and likely wouldn't be bothered. I think a dispensation for that type of thing would be up to a pastor's discretion like those who receive communion. Also maybe the bakery provided a good and worthwhile service to parishioners. Breakfast joints have big money makers on Church days as another example. I suppose if the church decided to crackdown on the bakery it would also have to crackdown the would be customers. We used to have blue laws around here. They were bizarre and suppose to govern purchases on Sundays in particular with moral reasoning.
I think it is more to do with what priests get out of it. Dad was always taking a boat load of priests out fishing, supplying them with grog and then he made big donations to the church, once providing truckloads of dirt and sand needed for a schoolworks. He supplied money for stain glass windows. Big contributor, you can buy your passage to heaven.

You buy enough bread on Saturday to last until Monday if you wanted to. Give us a break the parishoners shouldn't have been buying bread on Sunday, they should not be getting others to work for them. They stayed open for non RCs, they could not afford to miss out on the profit.

I think it is more to do with what priests get out of it. Dad was always taking a boat load of priests out fishing, supplying them with grog and then he made big donations to the church, once providing truckloads of dirt and sand needed for a schoolworks. He supplied money for stain glass windows. Big contributor, you can buy your passage to heaven.

You buy enough bread on Saturday to last until Monday if you wanted to. Give us a break the parishoners shouldn't have been buying bread on Sunday, they should not be getting others to work for them. They stayed open for non RCs, they could not afford to miss out on the profit.
I would say the context is a case by case situation.

There is always an excuse for breaking the RC commandments and normally money is the prime mover.
People do have to earn and provide for their families, I can see a situation or more, where almost any pastor would understand that.
This seems categorical.
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (1 Timothy 6:10)​

Last edited:
People do have to earn and provide for their families, I can see a situation or more, where almost any pastor would understand that.
This seems categorical.
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (1 Timothy 6:10)​
You have no idea of how the RC works and gathers money. It is just a load of hogwash. Missing mass was a mortal sin and I have observed that the facts are those who can pay, can break the rules. Yep and the RCC loves money. I don't want to disagree with you but you lack knowledge on this matter.

We know how they love money, it shows in their wealth collection.

You have no idea of how the RC works and gathers money. It is just a load of hogwash. Missing mass was a mortal sin and I have observed that the facts are those who can pay, can break the rules. Yep and the RCC loves money. I don't want to disagree with you but you lack knowledge on this matter.

We know how they love money, it shows in their wealth collection.
I know all too well. Have a nice day.

Maybe the bakery wasn't owned by Roman Catholics at all? Although it would seem unusual that RC's would leave mass and enable this non-Catholic's sin against their sabbath?

Reactions: Nic
Maybe the bakery wasn't owned by Roman Catholics at all? Although it would seem unusual that RC's would leave mass and enable this non-Catholic's sin against their sabbath?
I had in mind, not unlike breakfast venues, a time of fellowship.

An Italian bakery? Nope. Honest-to-goodness Roman Catholics, idols of Mary and all. And their Sunday customers flooded from the Mass (remember, RCs were fasting from the night before) to buy Kaiser rolls for break-fast. Mmm! Coffee and rolls slathered with honey butter! ?

Reactions: Nic
I had in mind, not unlike breakfast venues, a time of fellowship.
Foist, dis wuz Noo Yawk! Ya does ya bizness as fast as ya can wit'out lookin' ner talkin' ta nobody!

Then, the bakery was built for in-buy-leave. Maybe 30 feet deep, 15-20 feet wide, with display cases down the middle. No chairs, no tables. Place your order, pick it up at the register, pay, and out the door, dancing around those trying to get in.

A totally different world!

Foist, dis wuz Noo Yawk! Ya does ya bizness as fast as ya can wit'out lookin' ner talkin' ta nobody!

Then, the bakery was built for in-buy-leave. Maybe 30 feet deep, 15-20 feet wide, with display cases down the middle. No chairs, no tables. Place your order, pick it up at the register, pay, and out the door, dancing around those trying to get in.

Some just like to find reasons why some RCs do not need to obey the RC rules.

Funny accent.
Here's how I would suggest it would be a good thing for Catholics and non-Catholics to run in and out buying as many treats as they desired as quickly as they could. I'm not saying it was one way or another, only that is one probability. Having never been there or known those people, all I'm left with is speculation.
Apparently the Catholic family made a lot of coin on Sunday or was that a slow day? I would say it was probably at least as busy or almost as busy as any other day or better. If the Catholic bakery was scraping by, then it was good for them to be open on the Sunday. They needed the livelihood. But even if they all own Rolls Royce vehicles, greeting people and seeing smiles on their patrons as they get served makes it a good thing in my book. This providing for the neighborhood is still a good service to the immediate community [neighbor; love your neighbor].
I think it's silly to make absolutes statements when in fact dispensations are clearly and even, at times, publicly declared as with COVID. Not all dispensation are public, many are given at the local level and some are made by the individual themselves after maybe visiting with their pastor on previous occasions. So yeah, work on Sunday or missing either the Vigil Mass or Sunday Mass constitutes a mortal sin except in the many cases where it doesn't.

Back