Should we work to get rid of Christianity?

No, but so what? There are quite a few posers here now atheist who used to e Christian, I know of none who used to be atheist who are now Christian.
According to 1 John 2:19, if they left, they were never following Jesus.

We call such people,
Posers,
Christian in name only-- cino.
Paul describes it in Timothy.
2Ti 3:5 WEB holding a form of godliness, but having denied its power. Turn away from these, also.

So, you simply succeeded in showing them that they didn't actually know him in the first place.

The psalmist describes this issue too.

Psa 73:2-12 WEB 2 But as for me, my feet were almost gone. My steps had nearly slipped. 3 For I was envious of the arrogant, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. 4 For there are no struggles in their death, but their strength is firm. 5 They are free from burdens of men, neither are they plagued like other men. 6 Therefore pride is like a chain around their neck. Violence covers them like a garment. 7 Their eyes bulge with fat. Their minds pass the limits of conceit. 8 They scoff and speak with malice. In arrogance, they threaten oppression. 9 They have set their mouth in the heavens. Their tongue walks through the earth. 10 Therefore their people return to them, and they drink up waters of abundance. 11 They say, “How does God know? Is there knowledge in the Most High?” 12 Behold, these are the wicked. Being always at ease, they increase in riches.

Because of their boasting and arrogance, THEIR people return to them....

Nothing new.
The wicked and unjust and ungodly people have been doing this for millennia.

No, neither dream states nor astral projections have provided the person with knowledge they could not have acquired unless they actually left the location where their body was. There are many non-physical things that dont require a physical entity to maintain its existence. Such as the laws of logic and numbers.
This is simply not true. Dream states have indeed been known to produce correct cognitions of remote events or communications of remote ideas that later were found to be true.
Evidence?
Without the functioning of the brain, these cognitions would not register regardless of whether we categorize them as, for now, some supernatural event or not. No Brain, no registered cognition of the event regardless of how inexplicable this event is. A physical brain is still required to experience it, acknowledge it, and report it.
Yes, but if the human mind can survive at least for short period of time separated from the brain, then it is logically possible that a more powerful mind could live permanently without brain. Especially a mind that could create a universe which is required from the law of causality. The cause of the universe must be a non-physical mind according to logic.
El Cid said:
No, functionalism can not explain individual mental experiences. For example two people, Bob and Bill look at a bird that everyone says is blue. Bob sees the blueness but Bill has an inverted color awareness related to blue and so every time he sees blue, he is actually seeing what others (including Bob) would describe as orange. Now when he is asked to describe the color of the bird, he says blue even though he is actually seeing orange but he has learned to call it blue. If functionalism were true, then Bill and Bob were in the exact same mental state as they assessed the bird visually and selected blue to describe it. But clearly Bill and Bob were having two different internal mental experiences. From the perspective of an outside observer they are functioning the same way but their functional states are obviously not the same as their mental states.
You haven't moved the needle in your direction at all with this scenario.
Yes, it shows that even if the physical brain is physically functioning identically in two different brains, they produce two very different mental state. So many mental states are unrelated to the physical functioning of the brain.
Mistaken cognition or erroneous brain states still requires brain, something your concept of God does not possess so therefor cannot exist except as a mental exercise of an impossible state, that state being sentience and will without body and brain. It just quite simply does not exist anywhere and in anyway. And besides, these unusual outlier scenarios you are forcing into the argument do not even remotely represent the perfect disembodied cognition you are claiming your God possesses.
God's mind is much more powerful as shown above it can create a universe. But basic similarity is there.
El Cid said:
But their mind should have been severely damaged but it was not. Also, another piece of evidence that the mind is not physical is the placebo effect.
In many cases the mind is severely damaged, and the entire cognition changes depending on which part of the physical brain is damaged. You know this. I won't even bother to give examples unless you insist- but let's start with dementia.
I dont deny that the mind uses the brain to interact with the external world. It would be like my computer keyboard missing several keys. If I typed a response to you, you would think I was brain damaged. Even though my mind was still working fine, but my "interface" or "brain" is damaged so those interacting with me would think my mind is damaged too even though it is not. Another piece of evidence that the mind is separate from brain function is the fact that Wilder Penfield who studied seizures never found an intellectual seizure. Seizures are sporadic electrical discharges from the brain and they cause a variety of symptoms, from complete loss of consciousness to focal twitching of muscle groups, sensations on the skin, flashes of lights or noises, smells, and even intense memories or emotional states. Penfield could record these electrical discharges from the surface of the brain. Penfield noted that there are no intellectual seizures. That is, there has never been a seizure in medical history that had specific intellectual content, or abstract thought. There are no mathematics seizures, no logic seizures, no philosophy seizures, and no Shakespeare seizures. If the brain is the source of higher intellectual function, as is widely believed, why in medical history has there never been a seizure that evoked abstract thought? This fascinated Penfield, and he inferred quite reasonably that the reason there are no intellectual seizures is that abstract thought does not originate in the brain.

An argument that relies on such an uncommon outlier betrays a profound weakness in that argument. The perennial human condition in play here is the common desire in all humanity to live without unnecessary harm. Actions that support this emergent human reality are an ought.
No, there are not just individual outliers, there are whole societies that dont follow that principle such as the Aztecs and of course Nazi Germany. Many humans dont agree with what unnecessary harm even is. Is aborting your child for financial reasons unnecessary harm?

According to 1 John 2:19, if they left, they were never following Jesus.

We call such people,
Posers,
Christian in name only-- cino.
Yeah, I can see why you might want to put such people down. What it means is that you don't know if you're a true Christian until the day you die.

Last edited:
No, there are not just individual outliers, there are whole societies that dont follow that principle such as the Aztecs and of course Nazi Germany. Many humans dont agree with what unnecessary harm even is. Is aborting your child for financial reasons unnecessary harm?
Did Nazi Germany and the Aztecs somehow find a magic rationalization that their victims and other external societies agreed with? I don't think so, making those examples perfect foils for my point, not yours.

Yeah, I can see why you might want to put such people down. What it means is that you don't know if you're a true Christian until the day you die.
That's what you want it to mean.
Having actually read the bible for the purpose of understanding, I've been intrigued by what Jesus had to say to the seven churches in western Turkey.

He had some rather interesting things to say to them.

1 “To the angel of the church of Ephesus write,
‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: 2 “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; 3 and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. 4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. 6 But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
7 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.” ’

This first church was doctrinally sound, but without any love.

The Persecuted Church

8 “And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write,
‘These things says the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life: 9 “I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. 10 Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
11 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.” ’

This is one of the "good" churches.

The Compromising Church

12 “And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write,
‘These things says He who has the sharp two-edged sword: 13 “I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. And you hold fast to My name, and did not deny My faith even in the days in which Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells. 14 But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. 15 Thus you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.[fn] 16 Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.
17 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” ’

This church had some people in it who had ungodly practices.

The Corrupt Church

18 “And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write,
‘These things says the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass: 19 “I know your works, love, service, faith,[fn] and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first. 20 Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow[fn] that woman[fn] Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce[fn] My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. 21 And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent.[fn] 22 Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their[fn] deeds. 23 I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.
24 “Now to you I say, and[fn] to the rest in Thyatira, as many as do not have this doctrine, who have not known the depths of Satan, as they say, I will[fn] put on you no other burden. 25 But hold fast what you have till I come. 26 And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations—
27 ‘He shall rule them with a rod of iron;
They shall be dashed to pieces like the potter’s vessels’[fn]—as I also have received from My Father; 28 and I will give him the morning star.
29 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’

Serious problems in this church.

1 “And to the angel of the church in Sardis write,
‘These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. 2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God.[fn] 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you. 4 You[fn] have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. 5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
6 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’

The Faithful Church

7 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write,
‘These things says He who is holy, He who is true, “He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens”:[fn] 8 “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it;[fn] for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. 9 Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie—indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you. 10 Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. 11 Behold,[fn] I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. 12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.
13 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’

The Lukewarm Church

14 “And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,
These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. 22 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’ ”

Only two out of the seven were found to be in a right state with YHVH, and the other five were warned to turn back to him, from their sin.
Apparently, Jesus cares enough to warn us when we're wandering off the path.

Something else.....
By causing people who actually are following Jesus to turn away from following him...... you're bringing a heap load of trouble down on your own lives.

“But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.

but, hey.... you don't actually believe this stuff, so just as long as you believe you're ok, you'll be fine, in spite of the truth to the contrary.

That's what you want it to mean.
No, it's a consequence of you saying people who leave weren't true Christians. Thing is, you don't know if you won't leave until the day you die, so you don't know if you're a true Christian or not until that day.

If you think you know you would never leave, that's what many of these de converts thought too.

Argument from ignorance fallacy - "I can't think of a country with fewer laws than the US, so the US must have the fewest laws, and thus, the most freedoms.)
Argument from dishonesty fallacy - "I can't think of a country with fewer laws than the US, so I will just say that there is one even though I dont really know of one."

Laws are an activity too.
No, they are not; laws regulate or curtail activity.

Don't conflate laws with lawmaking.
Regulating or curtailing activity are activities. Laws cannot exist without lawmaking.
El Cid said:
The activity of the universe is bound by those laws.
Agreed.
El Cid said:
I cant prove they require a mind but in all of human experience that has been the case.
All of human experience applies within the universe, not to it, so none of it is relevant.
Just like the first space travelers, it is rational to assume that what is true on the earth is also true in space until proven otherwise and so it is rational to assume that what is true within the universe is also true of the universe itself until proven otherwise.

There are natural enforcements within nature and species. We just get to label them because of language. Laws are merely labels for what are rational experiences.
There is a reason they are labeled laws, it is because they act as laws and laws are real.
Eyes and ears are means to an ends. They are not purpose. What are the ends? This is where you find purpose.
Yes, purposes are a means to an ends. Eyes were created to see and ears were created for the purpose of hearing.

Regulating or curtailing activity are activities. Laws cannot exist without lawmaking.
Prove that this assertion applies to natural laws.
Also, of course one can have laws without law-making - not all laws are actively enforced.
Just like the first space travelers, it is rational to assume that what is true on the earth is also true in space until proven otherwise
But they didn't. That's why they went up in sealed metal boxes instead of leaving the windows open for fresh air.

There is a reason they are labeled laws, it is because they act as laws and laws are real.
Yeah... that's what I said... but they are emergently real not transcendently real. What you call a law is merely a real experience or occurrence with a human label as a result of them being consistently emergent from our condition. No external God involved what-so-ever. Just us bumping into each other and navigating a common inner compass rooted in our material humanity, not some ethereal spiritual nature attached to some great purpose beyond our scope of understanding. That;s why we made the laws over time, including the 10 commandments - not some God.
Yes, purposes are a means to an ends. Eyes were created to see and ears were created for the purpose of hearing.
You are using the term purpose out of context from Christian meaning. You need to focus. A purpose in Christian terms denotes a grand reason for existence. Having eyes and ears are not that purpose from a Christian perspective. If that were true all we need is to possess eyes and ears to get to heaven. This is not the Christian belief or the embodiment of human purpose from a Christian perspective.

Evidence?
"Evidence points to the idea that dreams can also be a synthesis of a person’s conscious and subconscious memories-a synthesis of real clues that make it easier to accurately anticipate the probability of certain outcomes."
Yes, but if the human mind can survive at least for short period of time separated from the brain,
The main fault in you thinking is found right here in this sentence. The mind is merely a receptor and a projector of what it "recepted" with possible creative extrapolations based on other stored impulses that may or may not be accurate. Mind NEVER survives for any period of time separated from the brain. When you daydream of being in your favorite place to the point where you see it, recollect the smells and the sounds, do you really separate from your body and go there? Even if you mentally project there and experience an event that you should not have experienced, did your eyes and ears show up to give you the cognition of the event you claim to have experienced in a way that only eyes and ears allow? If you now say that is evidence that the mind is separate from body because you can see and hear things where your body isn't, what is the purpose of body then if the mind can experience sight and sound and touch without it?

You're in a conundrum here of defining experiences with physical cognition (eyes/ears/nerves) yet saying they were never really necessary to impress a mind at all as a baseline for what those cognitions entail. And then you go further to state that the cognition of sight, sound, and touch go on without the instrumentation of either the eyes, ears, nose, nerves, or the brain - the very things that define the experiences. It's really an incredible brand of speculation as to what these sensations are rooted in.

If you claim our sentient experience is rooted in a mind of some non-physical God, and the mind can experience anything it needs to based on that alone, you really need to ask yourself what all these eyes, ears, and noses are all about then. You can't now just say that they are necessary for our physical navigation as you claim God created the physical without them, and we experience remote cognition without them as well. What gives? You claim He didn't need them, and you also claim we don't need them.

then it is logically possible that a more powerful mind could live permanently without brain. Especially a mind that could create a universe which is required from the law of causality. The cause of the universe must be a non-physical mind according to logic.
Not possible at all because you cannot influence matter with mind alone. As described above mind is a receptor of material stimulus. It does have the power of creative extrapolation, but only rooted in a baseline physical experience, an experience of matter to build from. You truly cannot get something from nothing which is another reason you God as defined does not exist.
Yes, it shows that even if the physical brain is physically functioning identically in two different brains, they produce two very different mental state. So many mental states are unrelated to the physical functioning of the brain.
Minds can operate functionally the same, on the same set of narrow facts, yet come up with different conclusions based on a wider experience of relevant data that varies between each mind. It's all about the qualia and quantity of input.
God's mind is much more powerful as shown above it can create a universe. But basic similarity is there.
God cannot have a mind as He is defined.
I dont deny that the mind uses the brain to interact with the external world. It would be like my computer keyboard missing several keys. If I typed a response to you, you would think I was brain damaged. Even though my mind was still working fine, but my "interface" or "brain" is damaged so those interacting with me would think my mind is damaged too even though it is not. Another piece of evidence that the mind is separate from brain function is the fact that Wilder Penfield who studied seizures never found an intellectual seizure. Seizures are sporadic electrical discharges from the brain and they cause a variety of symptoms, from complete loss of consciousness to focal twitching of muscle groups, sensations on the skin, flashes of lights or noises, smells, and even intense memories or emotional states. Penfield could record these electrical discharges from the surface of the brain. Penfield noted that there are no intellectual seizures. That is, there has never been a seizure in medical history that had specific intellectual content, or abstract thought. There are no mathematics seizures, no logic seizures, no philosophy seizures, and no Shakespeare seizures. If the brain is the source of higher intellectual function, as is widely believed, why in medical history has there never been a seizure that evoked abstract thought? This fascinated Penfield, and he inferred quite reasonably that the reason there are no intellectual seizures is that abstract thought does not originate in the brain.
His studies have been eclipsed. Seizures as a rule do not last long enough to cause the neurological damage required to impact cognition. However they have found that prolonged seizures called Status Epilepticus indeed do effect brain neurology and therefor cognition thus proving that mind, cognition, and what you experience as sentience is tied directly to the physical function of the brain and is not attached to some higher ethereal power such as a mind of God. God is merely an anthropomorphic extrapolation of our dual nature, except with the mistake of not conceiving Him as having a dual nature. The God concept is just a definition mistake that has been perpetuated for centuries.

Last edited:
Back