Is sin your master ?

G

guest1

What does baptism represent ?

Is there any practical application in the life of the believer ?

What do the waters of baptism represent ?

What does it means when one comes up out of those waters ?

What does the Resurrection power mean for the believer ?

Is the Resurrection at the very heart of the gospel ?

In Romans 1:16- isn't the gospel the power of God unto salvation ?

Are we commanded to examine ourselves to see whether or not we are in the faith ?

What does that mean ?

Romans 6
What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with,[a] that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.

8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. 14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ.
2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able;
3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? (1 Cor. 3:1-3 NKJ)

27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. (Rom. 3:27-28 NKJ)

The judgment seat of Christ will have punishment and rewards for believers, but nothing but faith in the Blood will gain entrance to heaven.

1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ.
2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able;f
3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? (1 Cor. 3:1-3 NKJ)

27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. (Rom. 3:27-28 NKJ)

The judgment seat of Christ will have punishment and rewards for believers, but nothing but faith in the Blood will gain entrance to heaven.
So belief and no obedience is required to be a Christian correct ?

What do these passage mean to you ?

Jesus teaching

Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Luke 6:46
Why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' but not do what I say?

Luke 11:28
Blessed are those who hear the word of God and obey it

John 8:31
If you hold to My teaching you are truly My disciples

John 15:14
You are My friends if you do what I command you

John 13:17
If you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

John 14:15
If you love Me you will keep My commandments

John the disciple whom Jesus loved teaching:

1 John 2
And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

1 John 2
Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him[b] there is no cause for stumbling. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

1 John 2
If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him.

1 John 3
Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. 5 You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. 6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. 8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's[b] seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God. 10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

1 John 4
If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot[a] love God whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.

1 John 5
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith

Paul's teaching:

Shall we continue in sin that grace might abound ? May it NEVER be !

Galatians 5
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Colossians 3
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

Ephesians 2
As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.

Peters Teaching

1 Peter 1
Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

1 Peter 4
As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4 They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you.

James teaching

James 2
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”[e] and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

James 3
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15 Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.

17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.

hope this helps !!!

2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able;

Doesn't Classical Arminianism favor the Perseverance of the Saints? I recommend you try to show how POTS is no different than Lordship Salvation...

Doesn't Classical Arminianism favor the Perseverance of the Saints? I recommend you try to show how POTS is no different than Lordship Salvation...

Pardon, lol? No, not at all.

Arminians are split about 60% conditionalists and 40% some form of OSAS.

I reject all forms of osas as blatantly unbiblical!

So the promise of Eternal Life is a lie correct ?

should we change the biblical promise of Eternal Life to temporal or conditional life ?

So the promise of Eternal Life is a lie correct ?

should we change the biblical promise of Eternal Life to temporal or conditional life ?

The promise is conditional, the very thing you seem to be advocating for here.

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

2 Timothy 1:13
Hold on to the pattern of sound teaching you have heard from me, with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus

Jude 1:18
when they said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow after their own ungodly desires.

Sorry about that. We've had Classical Arminians in the past who favored a form of Pots; particularly davenoonan. It would be nice to have our Arminians back...

Do you have an equivalent to POTS then?

Sorry about that. We've had Classical Arminians in the past who favored a form of Pots; particularly davenoonan. It would be nice to have our Arminians back...

Do you have an equivalent to POTS then?

The closest would be free Grace theology, I guess.

The closest would be free Grace theology, I guess.
When I responded to you, it was mainly to suggest to you to use one of your beliefs which is equivalent/similar to Lordship Salvation, to show you agree we must Persevere; or else. If you have something like that, I think this approach to the discussion is helpful...

When I responded to you, it was mainly to suggest to you to use one of your beliefs which is equivalent to Lordship Salvation. If you have something like that, I think this approach to the discussion is helpful...

thats the problem with Christianity these days which is UNBIBLICAL- Jesus is ones savior but not their Lord.

Jesus and the Apostles never taught such heresy.

Jesus is Lord !

I reject it, it's unbiblical.
Then you reject Jesus since He is Lord/Masster/Ruler of a believers life and He demands one obeys Him, dies for Him taking up their cross daily to follow Him.

To be a follower of Christ in the first century was a DEATH sentence. Jesus promised them you WILL SUFFER persecution. You will drink on MY CUP of suffering. It was a promise, a guarantee. You were going to be a martyr.

Rome Tortured the christians in the Colosseum burning them, feeding them to lions as entertainment.

Reactions: Joe
Nice try.

What is ETERNAL Life.

What does Eternal mean ?

I wasn't "trying" to do anything Mr. Rude Dog.

Eternal is a quality not a quantity. People have not already lived eternally, the only way they could have a literal quantitatively "eternal" life.

There is nothing about the word eternal that means "guaranteed to never change."

False definitions lead to false conclusions.

Then you reject Jesus since He is Lord/Masster/Ruler of a believers life and He demands one obeys Him, dies for Him taking up their cross daily to follow Him.

To be a follower of Christ in the first century was a DEATH sentence. Jesus promised them you WILL SUFFER persecution. You will drink on MY CUP of suffering. It was a promise, a guarantee. You were going to be a martyr.

Rome Tortured the christians in the Colosseum burning them, feeding them to lions as entertainment.

You don't even keep Christ's commands to love, why should I listen to you?

How much do you think you love me?

I wasn't "trying" to do anything Mr. Rude Dog.

Eternal is a quality not a quantity. People have not already lived eternally, the only way they could have a literal quantitatively "eternal" life.

There is nothing about the word eternal that means "guaranteed to never change."

False definitions lead to false conclusions.
agree as you must change the meaning of Eternal to suit your heretical beliefs.

Back