was Mary also the Spouse of God?

Do Carm-posting Catholics view Mary as the Spouse of God?
I can't recall hearing that growing up. Mary conceived the Christ by the Holy Spirit so it's been more organic to think of her as outside of human definitions. Someone with more theological expertise than me may have a concrete answer. I don't think we need to go to base thinking on the topic though because for example I've been married to my husband for 34 years but as Paul told the Corinthians, I'm also married to Christ by my faith. It's not something weird or dirty to contemplate. (2Cor11)

I can't recall hearing that growing up. Mary conceived the Christ by the Holy Spirit so it's been more organic to think of her as outside of human definitions. Someone with more theological expertise than me may have a concrete answer. I don't think we need to go to base thinking on the topic though because for example I've been married to my husband for 34 years but as Paul told the Corinthians, I'm also married to Christ by my faith. It's not something weird or dirty to contemplate. (2Cor11)
Well, its all over these forums from your own fellow catholics. Are they right or wrong?

pilgrim said:

And would not God the Father have "bejeweled" his daughter appropriately with abundant graces to be the spouse of the Holy Spirit and the first living tabernacle of God, a new heaven and new earth (Rev 21) ?

And

JoeT said:

Secondly the Maternal Mary, Daughter of the Father, Spouse of the Holy Spirit, Mother of the Son. Heralded by the heavenly court as “completely, perfectly, enduringly endowed with grace," “kecharitomene” Mary humbly consents to bearing the Christ child and vows perpetual Virginity.

There are many more just do a search for 'spouse of the Holy Spirit' in this forum and you'll find pages of results. Are your fellow catholics right or wrong?

Do Carm-posting Catholics view Mary as the Spouse of God?
I am not sure if we would word it like that. We know that Mary is the new Eve and that the church is the bride of Christ. We are betrothed to Christ right now, but will be married to Jesus and will dine, hopefully, at the marriage supper of the lamb. What do you think?

are you implying that Mary is not human, but devine?

Scripture says Mary was overshadowed by the Holy Spirit; she wasn't married to the Holy Spirit.

Luke 1: 35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.

The holy one was Jesus, not Mary.

Luke 11:27 As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, “Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you.”
28 He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.

RC's venerate a woman, make her the spouse of the Holy Spirit, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven, Mediatrix, etc. none of which is Scriptural. It is idolatrous.

Scripture says Mary was overshadowed by the Holy Spirit; she wasn't married to the Holy Spirit.

Luke 1: 35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.

The holy one was Jesus, not Mary.

Luke 11:27 As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, “Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you.”

RC's venerate a woman, make her the spouse of the Holy Spirit, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven, Mediatrix, etc. none of which is Scriptural. It is idolatrous.
Everything that the Catholic Church teaches about Mary is true.

I am not sure if we would word it like that. We know that Mary is the new Eve and that the church is the bride of Christ. We are betrothed to Christ right now, but will be married to Jesus and will dine, hopefully, at the marriage supper of the lamb. What do you think?
would you word like this?
Mary as the Spouse of the Holy Spirit?

I am not talking about the Church as the Bride of Christ:
but I am talking about another Catholic title for Mary

Ah, so the Words of Jesus aren't true because one person proclaimed Mary was blessed, but Jesus rebuked that and taught us:

Luke 11: 27 As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, “Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you.”

He did not elevate His mother above every other sinner. Oh, wait...I forget. The RCC has the authority to change things.

That is a false claim. The RCC is an institution that lies. Prove the assumption. Name one apostle who witnessed it? One apostle who prayed to the dead Mary? One apostle who bowed before her statue? One apostle who said she was a PV?

No the Marian doctrines are not true.

The RC is right she is the mother of Jesus.

How would we word it?

Ah, so the Words of Jesus aren't true because one person proclaimed Mary was blessed, but Jesus rebuked that and taught us:

Luke 11: 27 As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, “Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you.”

He did not elevate His mother above every other sinner. Oh, wait...I forget. The RCC has the authority to change things.
Why do you think Jesus called her woman? Was Jesus being disrespectful or was there something else afoot?

Back