What is Faith?

No, you are missing the point. If the mind is purely based on the physical brain, then its behavior is neither rational nor irrational, it just IS. Just like any chemical reaction.
But this is an assertion only. You've just said this would be so, you haven't shown it to be so.

In the meantime we have discovered all sorts of things out about the brain, that it gives rise to consciousness and nowhere in any of that is anything other than the physical.

I see no significant difference. How can physical processes produce something non-physical?
If you're saying you can't comprehend how physical processes could produce thoughts and judgments, that's entirely reasonable; even many naturalistic philosophers say they have no answer to the "how." (If you're claiming it's impossible in principle, that's a stronger claim, which you would have to justify. If that claim is based on the principle that "no effect can possess any properties not possessed by its cause," then I think that's a false principle, for reasons I've already given.)

But if you're saying you can't comprehend the proposition that physical processes produce thoughts and judgments, then I can't comprehend how you can't comprehend it. "A causes B" is a very simple concept, even if you think that this particular A couldn't possibly cause this particular B. For example, I don't think it's at all possible that the alignment of the stars and planets at your birth could be the cause of your personality traits, but I have no problem at all understanding that this is what astrology devotees believe.

So, if naturalists believe physical events cause brain states; that brain states cause mental states; that among those mental states are such things as "weighing evidence"; and that natural selection will result in brains which possess the capacity to bring about mental states which weigh evidence reliably... then the naturalist is not saying anything self-contradictory, and there is no reason, within the naturalist's own view, why they should not trust their own ability to weigh evidence. Your answer to that has been, "but according to naturalism, coming to conclusions is just chemical reactions, and chemical reactions aren't valid or invalid, so conclusions can't be valid or invalid."

It's the part in bold which is wrong. Naturalism doesn't say that "coming to conclusions" is just chemical reactions, they say that "coming to conclusions" is a mental state which is an emergent property ultimately caused by chemical reactions. You may believe this is wrong, even impossible; but that does not at all mean that naturalists are inconsistent. Naturalist premises are inconsistent with your premises; that doesn't make them internally inconsistent.

No, if the mind is not totally tied to the physical then it can operate according to non-physical laws of logic and come to beliefs based on that logical reasoning.
You say that naturalism fails here, because it posits a cause for mental activity which is different from "the non-physical laws of logic"; but you're not proposing any alternative cause which would be similar enough to those laws in order to make things work. "It's not physical!" is not an alternative cause. Unless you're suggesting a kind of "spirit of logic" as an active cause of our thinking, I don't know what kind of cause would "operate according to non-physical laws of logic."

Your position here would mean that no calculator or computer could ever add two numbers together. Substitute "mathematically" for "logically" in what you wrote above, and you'll see that calculators and computers contradict that position. The question of how the computer, calculator, or brain was created, and who, if anyone, did the creating, is a separate issue.
Calculators and computers are programmed and designed to convert questions to on/off switches which are physical entities. Brains are not.

There are no such things as hot and cold molecules, or solid and liquid molecules, but molecules in combination can produce states that are hot or cold or solid or liquid. There are no such things as true or false chemical reactions, but (if naturalism is true) chemical reactions can produce states that are drawn towards true conclusions and away from false conclusions. You are not even attempting to explain why this can't be. Saying "the cause is one thing, and the result is a different thing" simply does not demonstrate that the process is impossible.
Hot and cold and solid and liquid are still PHYSICAL states, true and false are not physical states.
And again, if any account which posits one kind of thing causing a different kind of thing is inherently self-contradictory, then what is the non-naturalistic account for how people reach true or false conclusions?
Through the non-physical mind operating according to the non-physical laws of logic.

Calculators and computers are programmed and designed to convert questions to on/off switches which are physical entities. Brains are not.
Why does the origin matter for whether a purely physical entity can do calculations? You said,
One physical state does not logically imply another or prescribe that the other ought to occur logically. It either causes or fails to cause that second state. Physical states simply are, they are not things that ought to be.
That statement has nothing to do with the origin of the physical state. You are saying that, no matter how it comes about, a physical state does not logically imply another, and yet computers have no minds, and are purely physical, but can do mathematical operations.

Hot and cold and solid and liquid are still PHYSICAL states, true and false are not physical states.
You're apparently agreeing that there is such a thing as an emergent property which possesses properties which are absent from its ultimate cause, but that there's a limit to how far emergence can go: it can't cross the line from physical to non-physical. I'd say the existence of this line isn't obvious or self-evident.

And again, even if it naturalistic thinkers were being unreasonable in believing that mental states can be brought about by physical interactions, that is their belief, and you can't say they are being inconsistent in claiming that our brains can bring about the mental state of weighing evidence properly. That is only inconsistent with your beliefs about what is and isn't possible.

Through the non-physical mind operating according to the non-physical laws of logic.
I was asking what was the cause of the mind's logical operations. "Something not physical" is not an account of the cause. Are you saying the mind's logical operations are not caused?

It is the arrangement (broadly) of the physical items that produce logical conclusions, just like it is the arrangement (in terms of number and location with a volume of space) of atoms that produce heat when no single atom can be hot. You're committing the fallacy of composition, in which properties that emerge at a higher level (heat, logic) are not present at a lower level of analysis (atoms, atoms).
How can an arrangement of physical items produce logical conclusions? Analysis of premises is what produces logical conclusions. I dont deny that emergence of some properties can occur, but heat is still a physical property, logic is not.

You stipulated earlier that laws of logic do not have any causal powers. (Post #311, "laws of logic are not cause and effect relations like the laws of physics.") How then can they "produce" any results, whether physical or non-physical?
I meant that they dont have any physical causal powers and cause and effect relations are predetermined, logical inference is not.

Well then you just refuted everything you have ever posted. If you dont think people have free will, then why do you post on this site trying to convince Christians that they are wrong? It makes no sense.
Because I had no choice?.
So why do you waste your time debating with people when you know that everything is predetermined no matter what you say? Also, if we have no free will then why do you think it is ok to punish people for crimes when they are not responsible? Without free will there is no such thing as morality, crimes, or science. So why keep talking about such things?
El Cid said:
I didnt say that it is the most accurate, but in many cases it is correct.
Prove that it is correct when it tells us that we have free will, because common sense is not evidence.
It is backed and informed by evidence.
We feel like we have free will. While that feeling doesnt prove we have free will it is evidence for free will.
El Cid said:
Actually there is evidence that our minds are not totally tied to the physical, thereby allowing for free will.
How does our minds not being tied to the physical, entail that we have free will?
Because then our thoughts and conclusions are not predetermined by chemical reactions in our brains.
How do you know that they are not merely obeying whatever laws to which the supernatural adheres?
They may very well be. But at least they are not predetermined by fixed physical laws. Because we know that at least 99.9% of the time physical entities operate according to the laws of physics. There may be supernatural laws but they may not be as limiting.

So why do you waste your time debating with people when you know that everything is predetermined no matter what you say?
Because I have no choice?.
Also, if we have no free will then why do you think it is ok to punish people for crimes when they are not responsible? Without free will there is no such thing as morality, crimes, or science. So why keep talking about such things?
See above.
We feel like we have free will.
I agree.
So? This does not affect the probability that we are deterministically programmed to feel that way, does it?
While that feeling doesnt prove we have free will it is evidence for free will.
Nope; it is not evidence either way because "only people with free will would think they have free will" is not demonstrably true.
Because then our thoughts and conclusions are not predetermined by chemical reactions in our brains.
What if they are predetermined by something non-physical?
How would you know?
They may very well be. But at least they are not predetermined by fixed physical laws. Because we know that at least 99.9% of the time physical entities operate according to the laws of physics. There may be supernatural laws but they may not be as limiting.
Lots of "may"s in here...

I meant that [logical laws] don't have any physical causal powers and cause and effect relations are predetermined, logical inference is not.
Then you believe that logical laws do have causal powers, just not physical causal powers? If so, what kinds of events or entities can logical laws cause? Physical force can cause massive bodies to accelerate in a particular direction; valid syllogisms can cause _____ to _____?

How can an arrangement of physical items produce logical conclusions? Analysis of premises is what produces logical conclusions. I dont deny that emergence of some properties can occur, but heat is still a physical property, logic is not.
What you are essentially asking is, how do we reason to produce logical conclusions. What we know is that it looks very much like our brains give rise to our ability to reason, because we know what areas of the brain are responsible for particular tasks. In part we know this because if part of the brain is damaged, the corresponding part of the mind is damaged too. We don't understand how the brain produces consciousness and the ability to reason, but because of what I've already said, we know that it does.

Can you explain why it makes no sense?
Because you would be wasting your time debating with people when you know that everything is predetermined no matter what you say. Also, if we have no free will then why do you think it is ok to punish people for crimes when they are not responsible? Without free will there is no such thing as morality, crimes, or science. So why keep talking about such things?

Because you would be wasting your time debating with people when you know that everything is predetermined no matter what you say. Also, if we have no free will then why do you think it is ok to punish people for crimes when they are not responsible? Without free will there is no such thing as morality, crimes, or science. So why keep talking about such things?
There's a difference between determinism and fatalism. Fatalism says that no matter what we do, it won't affect the future, which is predetermined; determinism says that what we do causes things to happen in the future, which wouldn't have happened otherwise, though what we do happens because of a chain of causes which too place before we acted. Fatalism says that Oedipus was going to kill his father, no matter what he tried to do to avoid it; determinism says that Oedipus's meeting with his father was caused by previous events (including those in his mind), but that if he had traveled elsewhere, he never would have met his father.

So, if naturalists believe physical events cause brain states; that brain states cause mental states; that among those mental states are such things as "weighing evidence"; and that natural selection will result in brains which possess the capacity to bring about mental states which weigh evidence reliably... then the naturalist is not saying anything self-contradictory, and there is no reason, within the naturalist's own view, why they should not trust their own ability to weigh evidence. Your answer to that has been, "but according to naturalism, coming to conclusions is just chemical reactions, and chemical reactions aren't valid or invalid, so conclusions can't be valid or invalid."

It's the part in bold which is wrong. Naturalism doesn't say that "coming to conclusions" is just chemical reactions, they say that "coming to conclusions" is a mental state which is an emergent property ultimately caused by chemical reactions. You may believe this is wrong, even impossible; but that does not at all mean that naturalists are inconsistent. Naturalist premises are inconsistent with your premises; that doesn't make them internally inconsistent.

You say that naturalism fails here, because it posits a cause for mental activity which is different from "the non-physical laws of logic"; but you're not proposing any alternative cause which would be similar enough to those laws in order to make things work. "It's not physical!" is not an alternative cause. Unless you're suggesting a kind of "spirit of logic" as an active cause of our thinking, I don't know what kind of cause would "operate according to non-physical laws of logic."

If all thoughts are nothing more than the results of non-rational causes, it would include the naturalist's own thoughts. So there is no reason according to naturalism, or more precisely materialism, to be seen as rationally true. The existence of free will, which interacts inextricably with rational thought, gums up the works of strict materialism. Before the advent of bios into the world an atheist, though failing to explain the cause of that advent, could make a good case for materialism. But even a cat I believe probably has free will to some extent and can DECIDE whether or not to chase that mouse or go back to sleep.

If all thoughts are nothing more than the results of non-rational causes, it would include the naturalist's own thoughts. So there is no reason according to naturalism, or more precisely materialism, to be seen as rationally true. The existence of free will, which interacts inextricably with rational thought, gums up the works of strict materialism. Before the advent of bios into the world an atheist, though failing to explain the cause of that advent, could make a good case for materialism. But even a cat I believe probably has free will to some extent and can DECIDE whether or not to chase that mouse or go back to sleep.
The claim of naturalism/materialism/physicalism is that thoughts are a very particular kind of result of a very particular set of non-rational causes, namely those that take place in brains; that those causes have combined to generate (in ways we do not understand) the capacity for thought. And with the capacity for thought -- at least, with the capacity present in us humans -- the capacity for rational thought inevitably follows. If I'm capable of thinking about numbers, I'm capable of knowing what the right answers are to arithmetic questions. If I'm capable of thinking about what walls are, then I'm capable of knowing that I can't pass through them.

The question of how a brain can give us the ability to think, or even just to feel pleasure or pain, is a huge mystery, but if it does, then there is no additional problem in saying it gives us the ability to think well, and to come to generally reliable conclusions about which arguments are valid and which aren't, or which obstacles are passable and which aren't.

I think all the above is true whether we possess free will or not. Not all naturalists/materialists/physicalists are also determinists; and even determinists don't deny that people (and maybe cats) make decisions, and that decisions affect the future. They just say that those decisions are themselves the result of previous causes.

Last edited:
Back