Once Saved--Always Saved?

Unknown Soldier

Many of us Christians have pondered the possibility of our losing our salvation. I would like to briefly argue that no, we cannot lose our salvation. To see why, it's important to understand that a Christian is more than a "believer"; a Christian is a steadfast actor and a thinker as well. When we are saved, truly saved, we are regenerated by the Holy Spirit. This regeneration transforms us forever into new creatures. We can no longer anger God to the point at which He would need to punish us for sin. In other words if we are genuinely saved we are no longer in danger of God's wrath. The reason why is that we no longer deserve to be punished because we have been fundamentally changed. We no longer think or act sinfully. If we did think sinfully or act sinfully, then we would still deserve God's judgment which is not what salvation is! So if you are saved, then you are saved eternally and eternally freed from sin. Those who sin such as those who are revilers, liars, extortioners, thieves, or drunkards are not saved or at least not saved yet. To be saved, you must "put on the new person" giving up forever the sins of your past. If you fail to do so, then you won't inherit the kingdom of Heaven, and you are deluded to think otherwise. As Jesus told us: "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

We are not sinless nor are we saved by the merits of what we do.

Christ's Blood covers ongoing sins through continual faith in Him.

OSAS is probably the single biggest lie swallowed by so many in the Church today, and nowhere found in Scripture.

IF we REMAIN STEADFAST in the Gospel we have heard NOT BEING MOVED FROM IT.

As if the entire book of Hebrews was warning people who don't even believe in Jesus anyway.

Satan is not sitting on his hands people, wake up and realize how lukewarm today's "church" is.

Jesus is going to do some serious SPITTING soon.

OSAS is probably the single biggest lie swallowed by so many in the Church today, and nowhere found in Scripture.
How do you reconcile those three statements?

If we are not saved by the merits of what we do, then no continual faith on our part is meritorious.

If Christ's blood covers ongoing sins, then we are always saved.

Let me ask another question: what is the difference between faith and faithfulness? Hint: Abraham was deemed righteous by faith (Rom. 4:22). Abraham was not deemed righteous by faithfulness.
If a person is building upon the foundation of Christ then all else s/he builds may be lost but s/he will still be saved.

1 Corinthians 3:10-15
According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

S/he might enter charred covered n soot, and empty handed but s/he will still be saved. We are not saved by the merits of what we do.
I completely agree. I suspect most here, both monergist and synergist will agree. We are not saved by the merits of what we do. We are saved be the efficacious merits of what God does. It is God who saves sinners and all have sinned and in need of salvation for which nothing we do s salvifically meritorious.

So here are two more questions:

What is the difference between the word "by" and the word "through"?
What is the difference from conversion from death to life and reaping eternal life (having been saved, being saved, and will be saved)?​

To summarize my reply:

• How are the first three statements of your post reconciled?
  • What is the difference between faith and faithfulness?
  • What is the difference between "by" and "through"?
  • What is the difference from conversion from death to life and reaping eternal life?

We are saved by God and not by the merits of what we do and scripture does in fact the premise of once saved we will be saved.

Many of us Christians have pondered the possibility of our losing our salvation. I would like to briefly argue that no, we cannot lose our salvation. To see why, it's important to understand that a Christian is more than a "believer"; a Christian is a steadfast actor and a thinker as well. When we are saved, truly saved, we are regenerated by the Holy Spirit. This regeneration transforms us forever into new creatures. We can no longer anger God to the point at which He would need to punish us for sin. In other words if we are genuinely saved we are no longer in danger of God's wrath. The reason why is that we no longer deserve to be punished because we have been fundamentally changed. We no longer think or act sinfully. If we did think sinfully or act sinfully, then we would still deserve God's judgment which is not what salvation is! So if you are saved, then you are saved eternally and eternally freed from sin. Those who sin such as those who are revilers, liars, extortioners, thieves, or drunkards are not saved or at least not saved yet. To be saved, you must "put on the new person" giving up forever the sins of your past. If you fail to do so, then you won't inherit the kingdom of Heaven, and you are deluded to think otherwise. As Jesus told us: "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
Right.

So the logically necessary conclusion is that anyone who may "lose" their salvation either hasn't actually lost it (they may perhaps become fruitless) or they were never saved to begin with (never known).

Either way, experientialism is not a valid measure of one's salvation. This is because the heart is deceitful above all else and cannot be understood by anyone but the God who saves us from sin and deception.

Galatians 4:9
But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again?

Salvation is about BOTH knowing AND being known.

Salvation is about BOTH knowing God and knowing Him salvifically AND being known by God and being known by Hm salvifically. God knows all. God does not know all salvifically.

Philippians 2:9-11
For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

ALL will call him Lord, but not all will call him Savior. Many will claim to know God only to be told they were NEVER known.

Galatians 6:7-8
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

We should not make the mistake of thinking the one who sows to the Spirit is the flesh.

Why is this op in the Apologetics board and not the Soteriology or Arm v Cal board? Is there something specifically apologetic we're supposed to be understanding and discussing?

Salvation by works...

Ignoring that our ongoing forgiveness is because of the cross, ignoring imputed righteousness; ignoring salvation by grace, through faith and that not of ourselves...

Your post is not Christianity.

Why is this op in the Apologetics board and not the Soteriology or Arm v Cal board? Is there something specifically apologetic we're supposed to be understanding and discussing?
Actually, IMO, the Apologetic board is a good place for the OP, since the author clearly does not understand the gospel and is in need of good apologetics.

That's the Protestant version of orthodoxy. It's a problematical view because Jesus very clearly stipulated that good works and repentance are integral to attaining eternal life.
Can Christ's blood cover the murders of a serial killer? What you're saying here can reduce to an absurdity if taken too far. To resolve this apparent difficulty, we need to understand "faith in Him" as involving abstaining from sin. That way no murderer, rapist, thief, or violent thug can truly claim his sins are covered by Christ's blood.
The alternative to the permanence of salvation is that salvation can be temporary, of course. Can a person be saved for a weekend and then lost forever? Of course not. Salvation only makes sense if it lasts forever. Otherwise, there is no true salvation.
IF we REMAIN STEADFAST in the Gospel we have heard NOT BEING MOVED FROM IT.

As if the entire book of Hebrews was warning people who don't even believe in Jesus anyway.

Satan is not sitting on his hands people, wake up and realize how lukewarm today's "church" is.

Jesus is going to do some serious SPITTING soon.
You're rambling here. Can you please rewrite it so it makes sense?

I was inspired to start a discussion about the permanence of salvation because it was brought to my attention that a prominent apologist was having difficulty defending/explaining that Christian doctrine. I thought I would take a stab at defending that doctrine. I see apologetics as the defense of all Christian doctrines. We need to defend our beliefs from attacks both external and internal.

Salvation by works...

Ignoring that our ongoing forgiveness is because of the cross, ignoring imputed righteousness; ignoring salvation by grace, through faith and that not of ourselves...

Your post is not Christianity.
Did you ever read the Gospel passages where Jesus commanded many works on the part of any person who wants to be granted eternal life? Yes, Christ is indispensable to our salvation, but our faith in him involves more than a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. We are to follow Him keeping His commandments if we wish to be saved.

So sorry, but if you continue to sin, then you will not inherit eternal life.

Did you ever read the Gospel passages where Jesus commanded many works on the part of any person who wants to be granted eternal life? Yes, Christ is indispensable to our salvation, but our faith in him involves more than a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. We are to follow Him keeping His commandments if we wish to be saved.

So sorry, but if you continue to sin, then you will not inherit eternal life.
Do you ever sin?

Actually, IMO, the Apologetic board is a good place for the OP...
It looks like our opinion here doesn't count for much seeing our discussion is no longer in the apologetics section. LOL
...since the author clearly does not understand the gospel and is in need of good apologetics.
Jesus did not come to inspire people to commit ad-hominem fallacies. Neither did Paul come for us to be illogical or sinful for that matter. I'd recommend you read 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 which states very clearly that revilers will not inherit God's kingdom.

So the choice is yours: Repent of your sins or be lost.

Right.

So the logically necessary conclusion is that anyone who may "lose" their salvation either hasn't actually lost it (they may perhaps become fruitless) or they were never saved to begin with (never known).
Salvation involves being regenerated by the Holy Ghost. We become new people when we are saved. If we continue to sin, then there was no regeneration. Salvation isn't merely a thought or feeling but a new way of life. Those who continue to work iniquity do not know Jesus, and they face needing to depart from Him forever.

Actually, IMO, the Apologetic board is a good place for the OP, since the author clearly does not understand the gospel and is in need of good apologetics.
Appreciate the pov, but if there was an intended (but unstated) motive for doing so then 'd like to know and understand that because it might influence the discussion (I'm kind of a stickler for such things). If not, then no worries, let the discussion ensue as is.

Salvation involves being regenerated by the Holy Ghost.
Not quite the whole of it.

Salvation does indeed involve being regenerated by the Holy Spirit. No one can see the kingdom of God unless s/he is born anew from above (Jn. 3:3). More specifically, salvation "involves" being brought from death to life, death in sin to life in Christ. Salvation involves conversion.

And the word "involves" is 1) ambiguous, and 2) not actual scripture and if you hope to argue your own op well then pay heed to the details of language and be as clear as you can be :cool:. Avoid ambiguity.

OSAS is fundamentally about whether or not conversion is permanent and/or always enduring. It is about the effect of a sovereign act (conversion or regeneration) and whether or not that act, and the effect of that act is equally sovereign. It is about the long-term fruitfulness of God's act - the act of regenerating a person or converting him/her to life from death. The dissenters argue - whether they intend to do so or not - God's act is not permanent, God may not always be fruitful, and God may have subordinated Himself and His plan and His action to the sinner's will.

They don't come right out and word it that way very often, but that is the debate. Watch for it as the thread expands.

More importantly, a proper understanding of salvation must be holistic and necessarily understand salvation is spoken of in scripture as something having already been done, something God is continually doing in an individual, and something He will do in the future. This is observable by paying attention to the word tenses of scripture: we ARE saved, we ARE BEING saved, and we WILL BE saved.

Nowhere does it say God might maybe kinda sorta save someone. Nor does it anywhere place the cause of salvation explicitly on the sinner's will. Salvation is a process; a process that begins at conversion (or regeneration) and concludes on the other side of the grave when those dead n Christ are resurrected to eternal life. In other words, salvation "involves" many things.
We become new people when we are saved.
Yep.
If we continue to sin, then there was no regeneration.
incorrect.

Paul recounts the apostle Peter sinning by behaving in hypocritical and double-minded manner with the gospel long after Peter's conversion. John's statement 1 John 3:6 should never be read in a manner contrary to the witness of other scripture. Peter was regenerate. Peter sinned after being regenerate. Similarly, the language of Romans 7 is present-tense (not past-tense) and is therefore confessional. Paul disclosed how a "thorn in his flesh" had been sent. That phrase is an Old Testament meaning judgment (look it up). Paul confessed he was was under some undisclosed judgment and God's grace was sufficient.

Regenerate people do sin. f we didn't the confession, mercy, repentance, restitution, forgiveness, and reconciliation would be unnecessary and both the gospel and Christianity would look much different.
Salvation isn't merely a thought or feeling but a new way of life.
i do not read anyone making the argument "Salvation is merely a thought or feeling..."

Details matter. Don't argue strawmen.
Those who continue to work iniquity do not know Jesus, and they face needing to depart from Him forever.
Continuing to work iniquity is not the same as continuing to sin. That would be a false equivalence not supportable by the whole of scripture. Salvation is complete when we are raised incorruptible. Until then people, even the regenerate, remain corruptible. We are changed from being corrupted to being clean and no longer corrupt, but we remain corruptible on this side of the grave and that alone is a sinful state.

Salvation involves being regenerated by the Holy Ghost. We become new people when we are saved. If we continue to sin, then there was no regeneration.

Do you ever sin?

Yes, of course I have sinned. I have repented of that sin, and so should you.
Reason is your friend.

Based on the words of these two posts you - according to your own assertions - are nether regenerate nor saved.

Think it through.

There'd be no need for repentance if you never sinned after regeneration. Do not conflate regeneration with the whole of salvation because regeneration is only one part of a much larger whole.

Not quite the whole of it.
And it looks like the "whole" is rather verbose.
Salvation does indeed involve being regenerated by the Holy Spirit. No one can see the kingdom of God unless s/he is born anew from above (Jn. 3:3). More specifically, salvation "involves" being brought from death to life, death in sin to life in Christ. Salvation involves conversion.
Yes, and those who are saved do not revile those who disagree with them. Revilers do not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. (See 1 Corinthians 6:9-10.)
And the word "involves" is 1) ambiguous, and 2) not actual scripture and if you hope to argue your own op well then pay heed to the details of language and be as clear as you can be :cool:. Avoid ambiguity.
"Involves" means to be based upon or connected in some important way. Understand?
OSAS is fundamentally about whether or not conversion is permanent and/or always enduring. It is about the effect of a sovereign act (conversion or regeneration) and whether or not that act, and the effect of that act is equally sovereign. It is about the long-term fruitfulness of God's act - the act of regenerating a person or converting him/her to life from death. The dissenters argue - whether they intend to do so or not - God's act is not permanent, God may not always be fruitful, and God may have subordinated Himself and His plan and His action to the sinner's will.
Then the sinner was never saved. It makes no sense to be saved only to perish. The way you use the word save results in its being stripped of its meaning.
Nowhere does it say God might maybe kinda sorta save someone. Nor does it anywhere place the cause of salvation explicitly on the sinner's will. Salvation is a process; a process that begins at conversion (or regeneration) and concludes on the other side of the grave when those dead n Christ are resurrected to eternal life. In other words, salvation "involves" many things.
Where does scripture describe salvation as a process? Was Paul's salvation a process?
incorrect.
Really? So a person can be robbed, raped, or murdered by a saved person. I believe Jim Bakker saw himself as saved when he raped Jessica Hahn. Do you agree with him? He was in the middle of the salvation process which was not yet complete.
Paul recounts the apostle Peter sinning by behaving in hypocritical and double-minded manner with the gospel long after Peter's conversion.
You're assuming that Paul was right about Peter. But it makes no difference who the person is: Those who sin are not saved.
John's statement 1 John 3:6 should never be read in a manner contrary to the witness of other scripture. Peter was regenerate. Peter sinned after being regenerate.
What was his sin? I doubt that Peter sinned after his moment of salvation.
Similarly, the language of Romans 7 is present-tense (not past-tense) and is therefore confessional. Paul disclosed how a "thorn in his flesh" had been sent. That phrase is an Old Testament meaning judgment (look it up). Paul confessed he was was under some undisclosed judgment and God's grace was sufficient.
That example is way too vague. We don't know what Paul meant by his "thorn in the flesh." One Christian told me that that thorn was an illness or disability of some kind.
Regenerate people do sin. f we didn't the confession, mercy, repentance, restitution, forgiveness, and reconciliation would be unnecessary and both the gospel and Christianity would look much different.
In what way do you sin? I'd strongly recommend that you check the Bible to see what sin can condemn a person. There's no way to slip out of it. Both Jesus and Paul were very clear that sin disqualifies a person from being saved.
i do not read anyone making the argument "Salvation is merely a thought or feeling..."

Details matter. Don't argue strawmen.
It's no strawman argument to emphasize and clarify an important point. I'm glad to see, though, that you realize that salvation involves real and significant change in a person's life. What change can there be if you go on sinning?
Continuing to work iniquity is not the same as continuing to sin. That would be a false equivalence not supportable by the whole of scripture.
That's bizarre. How can working iniquity not be sin? Are you working iniquity that you hope doesn't count as sin in your life? But whatever you wish to call working iniquity, Christ clearly saw it as good reason to command people to depart from him. To be separated from Christ is to lack salvation.
Salvation is complete when we are raised incorruptible. Until then people, even the regenerate, remain corruptible. We are changed from being corrupted to being clean and no longer corrupt, but we remain corruptible on this side of the grave and that alone is a sinful state.
So Jesus is unable to free you of corruption, or so you say. Frankly, it appears to me that you and other people on this board are sinners who want to be saved too--"the best of both worlds." It just doesn't work that way. To claim to be saved by Christ while yet a sinner makes a mockery of God's salvation through Christ. That's exactly what happened during the TV-evangelist scandals of the 1980s. Unbelievers had a field day mocking not just Jim and Tammy Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart, but Jesus himself!

So Jesus is unable to free you of corruption, or so you say.
Never said any such thing. Did in fact state the exact opposite. I explicitly stated, "We are changed from being corrupted to being clean and no longer corrupt..." and despite having just quoting those very words you're now wrongly mocking my post and denying I said it.
Where does scripture describe salvation as a process? Was Paul's salvation a process?
I already answered that question. Scripture speaks of our already being saved, our continuing to be saved and our eventual salvation.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

1 Corinthians 1:18
For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Romans 10:13
For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

1 Corinthians 3:11-15
For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

We have been saved, are being saved, and will be saved. Scripture. Scripture plainly written and read as written.

1 Corinthians 15:51-52
Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed.

Some translations say "imperishable." The Greek uses the word for rot or decay, not perishing as in death but perishing as something perishable rots and decays, or become corrupted. We are changed in resurrection. We who were once corrupted but then made uncorrupted will one day be changed so that we never again might by corrupted. We will be raise incorruptible. That won't happen on this side of the grave. It happens when we are raised from the dead.

So the next time I speak to your op have some respect because I can back up everything I post with scripture read as written.
Thank you for your time but snotty comments do not make for cogent discourse. I am not the only poster here pointing out inconsistencies in your posts. We're not doing so to be rude or disrespectful.

We are endeavoring to help.

Yes, and those who are saved do not revile those who disagree with them. Revilers do not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. (See 1 Corinthians 6:9-10.)
You might try practicing that yourself, especially since no one I have read so far is reviling you.

Correction is not rejection.

You're assuming that Paul was right about Peter.
No, you are assuming I am assuming Paul was correct.

The alternative is that Paul was sinning by bearing false witness and YOU then still have the same problem: one of the apostles sinned after hs regeneration.
But it makes no difference who the person is: Those who sin are not saved.
Then Paul and Peter were not saved and nether are you.

There is a more scripturally consistent alternative.

Romans 8:26-39
In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? Who will bring a charge against God's elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us...... I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NOTHING can separate you from the love of God found in His Son if you have been covered in the Son's shed blood. Nothing. Not even your own post-regeneration sins.

Otherwise, you, Unknown Soldier, render impotent the work of the supposedly almighty God. You make your post-regeneration sin more mighty than God. So consider what David and I have posted and stop treating us like we're your adversaries.

2 Peter 1:1-9
Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.

Note that text plainly states, "former sins." It does not say, "current sins," or "future sins." You and I were cleansed from past sins, and grace-given, Spirit-driven confession, repentance, amends, forgiveness, and ongoing reconciliation keep us that way. Flesh-driven alternatives merit nothing salvifically.

James 5:13-16
Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises. Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

If any among the body of Christ have sinned.... those sins will be forgiven. Therefore, those in the body of Christ - those who are already redeemed, regenerate and indwelt are to confess their sins to one another. There would be no need for confession and repentance if we never sinned after regeneration.

Regeneration would be weak if another sin could eradicate its effect. God's work would be fruitless if another sin were all it takes to prevent Him from saving the sinner after regeneration and indwelling.

Back