Thought Experiment

If justification is a matter of opinion and the overwhelming majority of the nation favored persecuting jews, then that means it is ok.
OK to whom?

The Nazis? Yes.
To me? No.

Objectively?
I reject the existence of objective "OK-ness".
Where did Christianity borrow those principles from?
If you think that murder and theft and rape were not considered wrong before Judaism appeared on the scene, I don't know what to tell you.

It is possible that the universe had a natural cause but unlikely given the characteristics of the universe. Such as it containing purposes, such as eyes for seeing and ears for hearing, we know that purposes are only created by persons. So the universe most likely had a personal cause.
Evolution explains these purposes very well.

No, logic demands that the cause of something cannot be part of the effect. So since the universe is an effect, then logic demands that the cause of the Universe, ie God, be transcendent, ie outside it. Just as the Bible teaches.
Logic certainly does demand it, but you have no real warrant to insert, ie God, in that though. I'm not sure that you are understanding how that assertion violates, and is incoherent to, your own premise. Whatever it is that caused this universe is indeed transcendent to it, yet you totally defined what that cause is using only your transcended myopic cultural and anthropomorphic toolset.
How is it incoherent to my own premise? No, it can be demonstrated from the characteristics of the universe that the cause is personal and unified but diverse like the triune Christian God.
Your conundrum is that you cannot get there from here with any level of trustworthiness in any mental creation of God by your own definition of what here and there is.
Why not?
I don't care where you got the information from. The problem was worse for the authors and the oral traditionalists in that their superstition held the water for science and their nationalism bent the will of God to their subjective viewpoint - whatever that God was going to end up looking like for them. The information you use for your conclusion was some of the most subjective and nationalistic thinking ever written.
No, given the extremely strict moral standards of Yahweh especially in the area of sexuality, it is very unlikely that a nation or society would make up a god like Him. How was it subjective and nationalistic?
El Cid said:
His creation has free will beings in it that sometimes do bad things. No, HIs law is based on His objective existence and character.
The best you can conclude from that is that humans are inscribed with some base set of objective morals towards each other. You don't need God for that. You just need to extract out what the commonalities are in the human experience, how we go about promoting and protecting those common drives in ourselves, and the civilizations we built around navigating that common truth we find in us. Granted each culture, locality, organization, family, may have some subjective methods to execute those objective truths... but God seems very ad-hoc to this process... a glued on attribution of sorts once you understand and attempt to resolve the basics of human need.
How can morality come from an impersonal amoral process? It is more likely that our morality is derived from a previously existing objective moral standard. What objective truths and where did they come from? How were they inscribed?
El Cid said:
No, if morality comes from humans then it is subjective, it is just based on human opinion and thought.
See above.
What about drives that are not common? So your morality is based on majority rules?

How is it incoherent to my own premise? No, it can be demonstrated from the characteristics of the universe that the cause is personal and unified but diverse like the triune Christian God.
You have yet to demonstrate that the universe is an effect.

It is incoherent in that you understand what transcendent actually implies yet you still believe you can define and package it anyway with your mundane anthropomorphic tool set. Look at the very language you use..... "personal", "unified", "diverse", "triune". These are all mundane effects. Those concepts can't even exist in the transcendent cause by your own definition in that the cause can't be the effect, but there you are, packaging the transcendent in exactly that way. It is incoherent.
Because there is no language or knowledge you or anybody else can ever possess to understand and describe the nature of the transcendent. It's as incoherent as saying what lies at the bottom of the ocean is a mystery and then going on to describe what lies at the bottom of the ocean in exacting detail with language like "personal", "unified", "diverse", or "triune".
No, given the extremely strict moral standards of Yahweh especially in the area of sexuality, it is very unlikely that a nation or society would make up a god like Him. How was it subjective and nationalistic?
No, it is very likely that a nation would codify objective sexual behaviors to promote their continued generational survival that excluded sexual deviance.
How can morality come from an impersonal amoral process?
It can't. It comes from the personal process of being human from which morals emerge. We are as personal of an origin of a moral a process as you will ever be able to put your finger on.

The exact opposite is true of your assertions. You will never be able to reverse engineer any moral action we make as humans to an immaterial god. Try it. See how far you get until you give up. It starts and ends here.
It is more likely that our morality is derived from a previously existing objective moral standard.
It is far less likely. See above.
What objective truths and where did they come from?
The truths of what we humans collectively value in ourselves and each other such as self promotion (gather sustenance, eat, clothe, shelter, couple, etc...) tempered by self protection (the desire to be safe in that pursuit).

We went eons bumping into each others internal self protection mechanisms by following our internal self promotion mechanisms. This caused conflicts. We didn't want to live like that so over time we codified laws to navigate the issues. These are the basis of our moral standards. They emerged from our own experience of who we are and what we collectively value.
How were they inscribed?
Morals aren't inscribed. They emerge from our nature to self promote and self protect in a society. They are discovered.
What about drives that are not common? So your morality is based on majority rules?
Nope. What I described above is not majority rules. It is the primacy of existence and real experience over the abstract concept of some other-worldly transcendent fiat. The difference between what is real and experienced as opposed to what is ad hoc and made up.

Last edited:
Probably a better way to say that it has value is that it contains beauty, and beauty has been shown to exist objectively, see my post to Eightcrackers where I show that beauty has been demonstrated to exist mathmatically and therefore objectively.
I found a post where you said "scientists have found that there are certain symmetries that are commonly considered attractive and beautiful to almost all humans. As well as things like sunsets and flowers. People from all cultures and ethnicities find those things beautiful." And when you were asked "This is true, but why does it make the beauty objective rather than say something about human perception?" you responded, "Because those mathematical symmetries existed before humans did and they exist outside human opinion and thought."

But "flowers exist objectively, outside human opinion, therefore the beauty of flowers exists objectively, outside human opinion" is simply a non sequitur. Or to put it another way, the following is not a valid argument:

P1 Flowers exist objectively
P2 Flowers are seen as beautiful by the great majority of people
C The beauty of flowers exists objectively.

Whether it's "there's more evidence for the resurrection than for other miracles" or "there's more evidence for the resurrection than for events surrounding unknown figures," the same objection applies: "there's more evidence for the resurrection than for X" is virtually meaningless if evidence for X is intrinsically next-to-impossible to examine. And in that way it is still exactly comparable to "there is more evidence for life on Alpha Centauri-4 than there is for any other extra-solar planet." You're just not addressing this.

EC: What is your definition of examine? Most events from 2000 years ago can't be examined in a literal sense or a legal sense.
El Cid said:
Lincoln was an international figure so he doesnt meet the criteria I stated.
You are the one who brought up Lincoln!! If you think comparisons with Lincoln are pointless... don't compare them!
I brought up Lincoln because you seemed to be saying that if a witness of a person engaging in a historical event is a champion or admirer of the person, then they are an unreliable witness.
El Cid said:
Jesus was not an international figure at the time so naturally there is not going to be as much evidence for events in His life. And your last statement is false, we have a report written within five years of the alleged fact in the ancient creed.
I said we don't have a written report until decades after, and we don't. You don't even know that this creed was ever written down, as opposed to passed around orally. The creed only survives in the writing of Paul, decades later, and it only gets us to "there were claims that Jesus appeared to many of his followers, starting soon after the crucifixion." The report doesn't get us to the empty tomb, Mary Magdalene, and other aspects of the resurrection narrative.
There is evidence even the enemies of Christians admitted there was an empty tomb. They accused the disciples of stealing the body.
El Cid said:
And two sources were skeptics of event.
Again you're bafflingly talking about James as a "source" because the anonymous author of the creed said that Jesus appeared to James. This makes no sense.
No, because we have an independent source, Josephus, that James died for his belief in the resurrection. Since we know from the ancient creed that that is what convinced him that Jesus was who He claimed to be.
El Cid said:
No, I said "sometimes", which is different from "always". Wouldnt you agree?
There was no "sometimes" in the sentence I quoted. You just said, flatly, that "of course" he didn't say the evidence for the resurrection was good, "his career would be destroyed." This unmistakably implies that fear for his career was the reason for his reluctance to say the evidence was good. Are you really denying this?
Fraid so. Direct quote: "Richard Carrier is not even a NT scholar. I know Ehrman has some antipathy toward Christianity. Sometimes hard feelings can blind people to things". I am not saying it was necessarily conscious though, feelings can cause subconscious blindspots as well.
If you say "Jones took the 5th amendment in his testimony," and I reply "of course; if he answered the question, his defense would fall to pieces" I am of course implying "the reason he took the 5th was to prevent his defense from falling to pieces." Right?

If you say "Smith voted against the legislation" and I reply "of course; if he voted for it, he would lose in the primary" I am of course implying "the reason he voted against the legislation was to prevent his loss in the primary." Right?
Your analogies are poor, religious feelings are deeper than court testimony and politics.
El Cid said:
I dont know for certain, not being a historian myself, but they do make sense to me. Do the two I mentioned in my other post on this subject in the What is Faith? thread not make sense to you?
See my comments on the "What is Faith" thread regarding historical criteria.

El Cid said:
Yes, it does, it was contrary to the views of First Century Jews regarding the resurrection. Most jews at that time that believed in an afterlife, believed it would a group resurrection of all the godly on the last day. Not individual resurrections. So it does fit the criterion of dissimilarity.
That a new religion has different beliefs from those held by those around them is not unexpected; if they weren't different, there wouldn't be a new religion. You could as well say that Mormon beliefs are more credible because they are strikingly different in many ways from those of the Christians at that time. That Jesus was resurrected is not, needless to say, a claim which is contrary to the views of the early Church.
This was a single unique event, not a huge set dogma developed by Mormons. Also, the early Church did not exist at this point in history, the disciples still considered themselves jews. So you have the wrong background. They were still looking at the resurrection from teh background of Judaism.
You were claiming that the resurrection itself was supported by all five criteria, not that the details surrounding the resurrection story were supported. "Women were the first to say he was risen" meets the criteria of embarrassment, "Jesus was resurrected" obviously does not.
It is all tied together. The details surrounding the resurrection and the resurrection itself. But Jesus being resurrected fits the above criteria of dissimilarity.
El Cid said:
You seemed to be making the absurd claim that the witnesses to the resurrection could be interviewed 2000 years later. That is what I meant by straw man.
A) Of course I wasn't making that claim, and B) even if I had been, that's not the definition of a "straw man." Maybe not worth pursuing further, unless you think it's important.
A straw man is something that doesnt really exist, the ability to interview witnesses to the resurrection dont exist. That is what I meant by straw man.
El Cid said:
Yes, I am not denying that it could be reasonably doubted but that is not the standard for historical events.
It's definitely part of the standard for accepting a religion!
If there is a religion that has its most important event meet the criteria for a historical fact, that is better than most religions.
El Cid said:
No I was just mentioning the ancient creed that mentions the 500 as one piece of many independent sources of historical evidence. Not present day legal evidence.
I have provided several lines of evidence in this thread and the other one. And demonstrated how it meets many of the criteria for historicity used by professional historians.
You only started talking about the criteria for historicity in your last message, after we've been having this exchange literally for months!
At that time I didnt know you were going to go into this much detail about the resurrection.
El Cid said:
His resurrection is the most radical claim that can be confirmed by eyewitnesses, claiming He was God and other theological claims, can not be immediately confirmed by eyewitnesses,
But you were explicitly arguing that if he was resurrected, it followed that He was God and that everything in the Gospels was reliable, because these were "less radical" claims. That was a crucial part of your argument for the "objective" nature of the Golden Rule, from a Christian standpoint.
No, the basis of the objective nature of Christian morality is His objective existence as the good. I dont remember saying that the resurrection was a crucial part of the evidence for the nature of the Golden Rule.
That seems outlandish; "Christ was God" is not, by any standard, a "less radical" claim.

Agreed, the claims "Christ was God" and "everything in the Gospels is reliable" cannot be confirmed by eyewitnesses. So what does make it something which follows, with even a fair degree of "objectivity," from "Jesus was resurrected"?
I think the claim of resurrection from the dead is more radical. But it does follow that His resurrection does confirm that He is God and that most things in the Gospels are reliable. Since He predicted His own death and resurrection. Then it was confirmed by eyewitnesses.

What is your definition of examine?
Nothing original or technical: we gather what facts we can and try to deduce their implications.

Most events from 2000 years ago can't be examined in a literal sense or a legal sense.
That's true. For example, we don't know and will never know what the Romans and the Pharisees talked about when they were talking among themselves about this Jesus of Nazareth, the way we do know to a large extent what the Confederate leaders and Union leaders talked about among themselves about war and slavery. We can still make guesses, based on very fragmentary facts; and some guesses may be based on criteria that may be somewhat better designed to lead to truth than other criteria; and so those guesses may be somewhat more justified than other guesses. But even if we are convinced we've made the best guess it is possible to make, given our lack of information, that does not mean we should treat that guess as knowledge. We're not playing under a "handicap" rule, where the thinner the facts are, the more trust we place in guesswork.

I brought up Lincoln because you seemed to be saying that if a witness of a person engaging in a historical event is a champion or admirer of the person, then they are an unreliable witness.
I'm saying that if the only source we have, for some event which places some historical figure in a very positive light, is the testimony of a devoted admirer of that figure, then it is entirely reasonable to question the historicity of that event. (Two words: cherry tree.)

There is evidence even the enemies of Christians admitted there was an empty tomb. They accused the disciples of stealing the body.
Matthew claims that the Pharisees accused (or got the Romans to accuse) the disciples of stealing the body, but the unsupported claims of a Christian about the wicked lies of their enemies is not good evidence. If you're talking about some other evidence, you can be more specific.

No, because we have an independent source, Josephus, that James died for his belief in the resurrection.
How in the world can you proclaim that Josephus is the source for the fact that James "died for his belief in the resurrection" when Josephus' account of James's death does not contain the words "belief" or "resurrection"? Josephus only says that James was the victim of foul play at the hands of the new high priest. You may have concluded that the likely reason is because James was spreading the word of the resurrection, but that does not at all entitle you to say that Josephus is testifying to that. That's a complete abuse of the concept of a "source."

Since we know from the ancient creed that that is what convinced him that Jesus was who He claimed to be.
"The creed said that the resurrected Jesus appeared to James; Josephus said that James was killed; therefore Josephus is a source for the fact that James was killed for testifying to the resurrection of Jesus"? One man said one thing about James, a second man said a different thing about James, therefore the second man must have been assenting to what the first man said??

If this is your idea of how logic works, then you are casting severe doubt on everything you say about having a "good reason to believe" something or having "good evidence" for something.

Fraid so. Direct quote: "Richard Carrier is not even a NT scholar. I know Ehrman has some antipathy toward Christianity. Sometimes hard feelings can blind people to things". I am not saying it was necessarily conscious though, feelings can cause subconscious blindspots as well.
I said that the passage I quoted did not say anything about what happened "sometimes," but that it did have the unmistakable implication that Ehrman was refusing to acknowledge the truth of the resurrection out of cowardice and fear. So now you bring up a different passage which does contain the word "sometimes." Do you deny this?

Your analogies are poor, religious feelings are deeper than court testimony and politics.
It's your understanding of how analogies work which is poor. The analogies were there to illustrate how we read certain kinds of sentences, sentences which have the same basic construction: "He won't do X; if he did X, it would cause problem Y." In each case, any native speaker of English will agree that means "He won't do X because he doesn't want to cause problem Y." It doesn't matter in the slightest whether one sentence is about religion and another is about law or politics.

That being the case, it follows that you were very clearly implying that Ehrman won't acknowledge the truth of the resurrection, because he doesn't want to lose his prestige and his pay. Unless you have evidence that this is the case with Ehrman, you were engaged in casual slander.

This was a single unique event, not a huge set dogma developed by Mormons.
What's the point of this distinction? Are you claiming that people will generally believe in a "huge set dogma" which goes contrary to what they have been taught, but they will not generally believe in a single unique event which goes contrary to what they have been taught? If so, what makes you think this is true? If you are claiming something else about "unique events vs. huge set dogma," then what is it?

Also, the early Church did not exist at this point in history, the disciples still considered themselves jews. So you have the wrong background. They were still looking at the resurrection from the background of Judaism.
Tell me whether it is possible to dispute any of the following propositions:

1. Within any religious community, there will be some who have little regard for what religious authorities say.

2. A religious movement led and founded by somebody who continually attacked those very authorities in the severest possible terms will likely have an even higher percentage of such people than does the general community.

3. That being the case, "but the religious authorities say the resurrection will only be general, not starting with one man!" is very, very unlikely to have been a stumbling block for the early Christians.

4. Even if it had been a stumbling block, once the reports of the resurrection started, anybody who balked at it would simply cease to be/would never become a Christian. They would rejoin the "background of Judaism," and those who remained in the Christian movement would thereby be creating their own "background," in which it would be forbidden to deny the resurrection.

5. There has never been any shortage of people who joined political or religious movements whose claims or tenets went against the views dominant in their communities. To say "the more they go against the dominant view, the more believable they are" is absurd. It implies that if somebody comes from a community which prohibits rock and roll music, and he claims he saw Elvis in his kitchen, dispensing wise advice on life and love, the claim should be seen as credible, because in his world Elvis is seen as demonic.

6 (And this is the big one, really). Even if you reject 1-5; and even if there are historians who define "the criteria of dissimilarity" in exactly the way you do; and even if every historian who studied the subject agreed that the resurrection met this criteria; then... so what? Do we have any reason to believe that historians who use this criteria in this way actually have a better record of telling what really happened in the ancient world, and what didn't happen, than those who don't use this criteria?

I can't imagine how such a thing could be demonstrated. And if it can't, then why should I say "this 'dissimilarity criteria' business makes no sense to me, but if Historians all say the resurrection fits that criteria, then I guess I should overcome my disbelief in the resurrection"?

It is all tied together. The details surrounding the resurrection and the resurrection itself. But Jesus being resurrected fits the above criteria of dissimilarity.
"It's all tied together" is not really a response to "X meets the criteria, but Y does not."

If there is a religion that has its most important event meet the criteria for a historical fact, that is better than most religions.
It's only "better," in the sense of "more likely to be true," if 1) it really does meet those criteria, 2) those criteria are in themselves reasonable, and 3) those criteria really give you the ability to distinguish between events that really happened and events which were claimed to have happened, but really did not. I haven't seen a case made yet for any of these.

In any case, I see no reason why I should feel obliged, or even tempted, to choose any religion at all.

Last edited:
At that time I didnt know you were going to go into this much detail about the resurrection.
You started talking about it at least as far back as early April.

No, the basis of the objective nature of Christian morality is His objective existence as the good. I dont remember saying that the resurrection was a crucial part of the evidence for the nature of the Golden Rule.
Sorry, my mistake; I meant to say that the truth of the resurrection was a crucial part of your argument for the truth of the teaching that those who didn't follow Christ deserved eternal damnation.

I think the claim of resurrection from the dead is more radical. But it does follow that His resurrection does confirm that He is God...
No, that doesn't follow. Even if the resurrection happened, it could have been because he was specially favored by God, not that he is God.

and that most things in the Gospels are reliable. Since He predicted His own death and resurrection.
And we know that he predicted his own death and resurrection, because the Gospels are reliable?

Seriously, please present an argument which begins "Jesus was resurrected" and concludes "therefore, what the Gospels say about Jesus' teaching is reliable."

Then it was confirmed by eyewitnesses.
Your definition of "confirmed" is too loose for my taste, to put it mildly.

OK, I think I better understand now what you're saying: the anonymous author of the creed is a source for Jesus appearing to Peter, James and the 500, and Paul is a source for Jesus appearing to himself, so they are independent sources for Jesus appearing after his crucifixion.
Correct.
How would that work? If the creedal statement was false -- if Jesus didn't appear to 500 -- then who exactly was going to come forward and say "Paul is lying; Jesus never appeared to me"?
Members of the early church and other Jews that knew members.

Komodo said:
How would that work? If the creedal statement was false -- if Jesus didn't appear to 500 -- then who exactly was going to come forward and say "Paul is lying; Jesus never appeared to me"?
Members of the early church and other Jews that knew members.
I still don't know what scenario you have in mind, fear of which would deter Paul from talking about the 500 if it weren't known to be true. Let's try it this way: assume for the sake of argument that Jesus did not appear to 500 people at once. I'm a 60-year-old Jew who has lived in Jerusalem all my life. (Call me Itzhak). It's now about 55 C.E., I have somehow heard about what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians about the 500, and I am certain it never happened.

What do I say? To whom do I say it? And how is it going to damage Paul's reputation among gentile Christians?

No, they are both personal relationships.
"I know he is good because I observed him for thirty years" and "I know he is good because he supernaturally implanted his spirit in me" can both be said to be "personal," but it is absurd to say that one as even similar to the other, let alone -- as you originally claimed -- that you gained knowledge of God's goodness "just like" the way you gained it of people you knew. Compare:

"I treated Alice just like I treated Beatrice."
"But you married Alice and murdered Beatrice."
"Well, they were analogous: these were both closely personal actions."

I imagine you would agree that "they're both personal" does not mean they were comparable.
They are both part of knowing God personally. But He does not take away your free will.
El Cid said:
But God gives us reassurance in our relationship with Him so we can fully trust Him unlike human relationships.
You start by saying you know about God's goodness "just like" you learn about the goodness of people you know: through relationships with them. And you conclude here by saying that your relationship with God is nothing like your relationship with people.

So what it comes down to is "how do I know that God is good? Because God reassured me that he is good." And this is an "objective basis" for morality?
No, my objective basis is Gods existence as the good. What is your basis for morality?
El Cid said:
No, HOW you discover an objective fact does not change that the objective fact that you discovered exists.
The basis for your claim to have an "objective basis" for the truth of the Golden Rule is "God, who is perfectly good, said it." And your basis for saying "God is perfectly good" -- so far as I can tell so far -- is that you feel that way, and other people feel that way. If that constitutes an objective basis for your conclusion, I can get to "objectivity" a lot quicker: I feel that the Golden Rule is true.
No, God is the Good and He objectively exists and I have had objective experiences of Him doing good. Feeling that the golden Rule is true is obviously not objective.
And if your objection is, "but you are not infallible about what is good and what isn't good; God is!" then the obvious response is, "and you are not infallible about who is good and who isn't good: nobody is." And if the response to this is something like "it's not me who's determining who's good, it's God who's telling me" then of course "he assures me that he's good" is no more reliable than "I feel that he's good."
No, see above about my objective experiences of His goodness.
El Cid said:
No, the conviction does not come about that way it is only reinforced and confirmed by your experience with the Holy Spirit.
I don't know what you mean here.
I mean even though He reinforces your belief with His spirit, He doesnt take away your free will.
El Cid said:
Since both are true, the positive effect still occurs.

"We can tell that this statement is true, because even Thomas Jefferson said it had positive effects."
"Jefferson never said that statement had positive effects, he said that a very different statement had positive effects."
"Well, they're both true, so the positive effects still occur"

This is absolute nonsense!

"I know that the Thai national anthem is an inspiring tune, because Union soldiers sang it as they marched to victory in the Civil War."
"Union soldiers never sang that tune; they sang 'John Brown's Body'."
"Well they're both music, so they're both inspiring."

Actually your version is worse, because aside from being entirely nonsensical, it's also blatantly circular. You're offering to show that your moral teaching is true, because of its positive effects, and then you say that you know it has positive effects, because it's true! That's one heck of a proof!
In this universe, the truth usually has positive effects.
El Cid said:
Yes you are free to dismiss it. Freedom of conscience is a Christian teaching.
Christian teaching is not necessary in order for it to be reasonable to say, "if you don't have a strong case, you're not going to change my mind." If you want to change anybody's mind about anything, you ought to give them a good reason to change their mind.

El Cid said:
Yes but nevertheless evildoers do get punished.
This is not in any way a response to my statement that "if Christians are right [about who is punished], Jews are wrong, and vice versa." Jews say that Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists all are rewarded if they led good lives, and punished if they led wicked lives. Christians (speaking here of those who believe what most CARM Christians believe) say that Christians, and only true Christians (followers of Jesus) get rewarded, and everybody else gets punished. These two positions are obviously entirely incompatible and you simply cannot reconcile them by saying "they both believe evildoers get punished."
Acknowledging the true God is the ultimate good life. People can do "good' for purely selfish reasons. True goodness includes deeds and the motive for doing the good deeds. Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists do good because they have to to be saved. Christians do good out of love for man and God.
El Cid said:
Even if what you say is true, it just shows that the two religions are equal regarding avoiding being punished for a crime, it does not provide evidence that it is equal regarding avoiding damnation.
No, it shows that your argument is worthless. It shows this explicitly and logically. I presented two premises and a conclusion, and the conclusion was "your argument is worthless." You aren't saying that the first premise is wrong or even doubtable. You aren't saying the second premise is wrong or even doubtable. You aren't saying the conclusion doesn't follow inevitably from the premises. If you can't challenge the premises, and you can't challenge the logic, then you can't challenge the conclusion, and talking vaguely about "religions" being "equal" or not equal is just irrelevant. Let's make it even simpler:

Evidence A supports Conclusion C.
Evidence A also supports Conclusion ~C.
Therefore Evidence A is worthless in determining whether Conclusion C is true or false.

Are you disputing that?
See above.
El Cid said:
There are many other problems with Judaism . . .
Entirely irrelevant to the argument. If you're saying you have an argument which shows the truth of a Christian doctrine, and exactly the same argument shows the truth of a Jewish doctrine which is entirely incompatible with that Christian doctrine, you have a bad argument. It doesn't matter in the slightest if you have criticisms of Jewish doctrine. Compare:

"If you've lasted twenty years in the major leagues, you will go to the Hall of Fame."
"Rick Dempsey lasted twenty years in the major leagues, and he never came close to going to the Hall of Fame."
"Yeah, but there are many problems with Rick Dempsey."

Your argument here is precisely that absurd. It's absurd to say "twenty years gets you into the Hall" if there's somebody who has twenty years and is not in the Hall; and it's absurd to say "obedience to law shows you're following a true doctrine" if there are people who obedient to the law who are following a false doctrine. And either "Hindus and Buddhists cannot go to heaven" is a false doctrine, or "Hindus and Buddhists can go to heaven" is a false doctrine.
No, a better analogy would be Rick Dempsey lasted twenty years and helped his team win the World Series but never made it to the Hall (non Christian religion).
Brooks Robinson lasted twenty years and helped his team win the World Series AND made it to the Hall because he had a Hall of Fame career. (Christianity).
There are temporal benefits to following Gods moral law but not eternal benefits, except your punishment will be less. But by acknowledging the True God, Jesus Christ, you get both benefits because you did good deeds AND with the right motive.

They are both part of knowing God personally. But He does not take away your free will.
If you are saying that the only way to know of God's goodness is for him to take supernatural action to provide you with that knowledge, then this is not something I can know, unless God decides he wants me to know it.

No, my objective basis is Gods existence as the good. What is your basis for morality?

No, God is the Good and He objectively exists and I have had objective experiences of Him doing good. Feeling that the golden Rule is true is obviously not objective.

No, see above about my objective experiences of His goodness.
I'm deferring comment on these points until you've had a chance to read and respond to what I say about "objective basis/objective knowledge" in posts #1046, 1048 and 1050 here.

Komodo said:
Moreover, if this conviction comes about, as you claim, from the actions of a being with the power to irresistibly implant any conviction he wants in anybody he wants to have it, you can't even claim that your conviction is justified, let alone objectively true.
No, the conviction does not come about that way it is only reinforced and confirmed by your experience with the Holy Spirit... I mean even though He reinforces your belief with His spirit, He doesnt take away your free will.
Then you are saying, you only believed in God's goodness tentatively and uncertainly, until he supernaturally reinforced your belief? If so, how does that at all counter my objection? Consider this dialogue:

"I am totally certain of God's goodness."
"How do you know that this certainty is not a lie which God implanted in you?"
"Because God would never take away our free will."
"How do you know that to be the case?"
"Because [X] is true."

In order for "Because [X] is true" to be a good answer, it would have to be impossible for even God Almighty Himself to convince you that X was true, if it were not in fact true. Can you propose any such claim, which would be beyond the power of even an omnipotent being to make you believe it, if it were not true?

In this universe, the truth usually has positive effects.
You are just entirely ignoring what I said. Which of these statements do you dispute?

1) Neither Jefferson nor Kant believed it to be true that "all who do not follow Jesus deserve eternal damnation."
2) Neither Jefferson nor Kant believed that the teaching "all who do not follow Jesus deserve eternal damnation" did good by making people lead better lives.
3) Therefore it is preposterous to cite Jefferson or Kant for support of your argument that we can see this teaching to be a good one because it does good by making people lead better lives.

Acknowledging the true God is the ultimate good life. People can do "good' for purely selfish reasons. True goodness includes deeds and the motive for doing the good deeds. Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists do good because they have to to be saved. Christians do good out of love for man and God.
You are just entirely ignoring what I said. Nothing you say here has the slightest relevance to my specific argument. Let's try again. Which of these premises do you dispute?

1) Jews say that Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists all are rewarded if they led good lives, and punished if they led wicked lives.
2) Christians (speaking here of those who believe what most CARM Christians believe) say that Christians, and only true Christians (followers of Jesus) get rewarded, and everybody else gets punished.
3) If Jews are right about who is rewarded, then Christians are wrong; if Christians are right about who is rewarded, Jews are wrong.

See above.
You are just entirely ignoring what I said. I offered a specific argument and asked you to say whether you disputed either the premises or the logic of that specific argument, and you have blatantly refused to do any such thing. Could you possibly do so this time?

1) If a low crime rate among religious Christians is evidence of the morality of the Christian teaching that a relationship with Christ is indispensable to avoiding damnation, then the low crime rate among religious Jews is equal evidence of the morality of the Jewish teaching that a relationship with Christ is not at all needed to avoid damnation.
2) "Evidence" which equally supports opposite and incompatible conclusions is worthless.
3) Therefore, the evidence you produce here, for the morality of the Christian teaching about damnation, is worthless.

Again, the simpler version:

If evidence A supports Conclusion C, but evidence A also supports Conclusion ~C, then Evidence A is worthless in determining whether Conclusion C is true or false.

Do you or do you not dispute any of the above? If you do, which premises in particular do you find fault with?

No, a better analogy would be Rick Dempsey lasted twenty years and helped his team win the World Series but never made it to the Hall (non Christian religion).
Brooks Robinson lasted twenty years and helped his team win the World Series AND made it to the Hall because he had a Hall of Fame career. (Christianity).
There are temporal benefits to following Gods moral law but not eternal benefits, except your punishment will be less. But by acknowledging the True God, Jesus Christ, you get both benefits because you did good deeds AND with the right motive.
If you claim "anybody who lasts twenty years goes to the Hall of Fame," but there are some players who lasted twenty years but did not go to the Hall of Fame, then your claim is not true. It is refuted. It is the opposite of true. It is false.

That was the whole, entire point. Even if you are right that Brooks Robinson is more like Christianity than is Rick Dempsey, your claim would still be false. Again: are you disputing this?

He didnt create it, God allowed it to be created by natural selection
Come on, that's effectively the same thing. That's God being responsible for it.
Being indirectly responsible for something is not the same thing as being directly responsible. Selling a gun to a murderer doesnt mean you murdered the victim.
El Cid said:
It shows the extreme seriousness of sin and how it potentially corrupts everything. And how important you need obey Gods rules about sex and to marry someone that shares your values. Even the temporally innocent can get caught up in the consequences of sin. But they will not be punished in the eternal realm for something they didnt do.
It's punishing the innocent, it's a blunt instrument.
No one is completely innocent of sin.
El Cid said:
Disease is not a human behavior, rape is.
But we were talking about disease.
No if you go back and look this particular response was in response to the scientists that claimed that rape was natural.
El Cid said:
But the consequences would not be based on anything objective. It would just be subjectively unpleasant. And rape would not be objectively wrong.
So someone feeling pain and distress doesn't count. Why is it only Christians who can't see why rape is wrong in itself?
Of course it does. Especially because humans are made in the image of God and have infinite objective value. Otherwise we would just be an animal and animals rape and get raped all the time.
El Cid said:
So what? That doesnt answer my question about your beliefs.
How would that impact why rape is wrong in itself or not?
See above.
El Cid said:
Doesnt seem vague to me. It is quite obvious if something exists outside of human thought and opinion then it exists objectively.
What if it's another creature like a human?
It doesnt matter, anything that exists outside of human thought and opinion exists objectively.
El Cid said:
Yes, but those are all subjective. If someone has different concepts of right and wrong that dont match yours, then you cannot judge them by an objective standard. It is just your subjective opinion against his.
Subjective doesn't mean arbitrary.
Maybe not, but nevertheless it is just your subjective preference like your favorite flavor of ice cream.

Being indirectly responsible for something is not the same thing as being directly responsible. Selling a gun to a murderer doesnt mean you murdered the victim.
It does if you're an omniscient, omnipotent God who can see exactly what's going happen if He allows something. Your words, "God allowed it".
No one is completely innocent of sin.
This is why Christianity should be opposed, it tries to justify God giving disease to those following God's rules by saying they deserve it anyway.
No if you go back and look this particular response was in response to the scientists that claimed that rape was natural.
So what? Natural doesn't mean morally acceptable.
Of course it does. Especially because humans are made in the image of God and have infinite objective value. Otherwise we would just be an animal and animals rape and get raped all the time.
What you are saying is if humans are just an animal, then it's ok to get raped. You are justifying rape. The suffering caused by rape would be the same whether we were made in God's image or by evolution.
It doesnt matter, anything that exists outside of human thought and opinion exists objectively.
So a Martian's thought's are objective because they are outside human thoughts?
Maybe not, but nevertheless it is just your subjective preference like your favorite flavor of ice cream.
If that preference isn't arbitrary but is based on an empathy for the suffering of others then it has value.

That's a poor analogy. Most people like particular sorts of flavour for ice cream like vanilla or strawberry, there is a reason people don't like Brussel sprout ice cream, as there is a reason most people don't like harmful behaviour such as rape. You are saying that rape is fine except for creatures made in God's image, but the suffering caused by it would be the same in either case.

Not certainty but logic requires it. I agree time is tricky, I am not sure time is even necessary for causality.
Logic is only as good as the information to hand to be logical with, and we just don't know enough about why there is something rather than nothing. Many known things in physics go against prima facie logic. Note, I'm not saying they are illogical, but rather go against what would be considered logical without a full understanding.
Nevertheless many cosmologists think we know a great deal about the universe, such as the theory of everything. If you dont have the courage to take the small leap to see that God probably exists, there is nothing I can do. That is between you and your fears.
El Cid said:
Provide an example of something impersonal creating a purpose for something (you cant say evolution, because that would be assuming what you are trying to prove).
I can use evolution because I don't assume it, as the evidence shows it.
No, for scientific theories that go into the unobservable past, you have to show evidence in the present that there is such a process that can be empirically observed. Please provide an example.

Nevertheless many cosmologists think we know a great deal about the universe, such as the theory of everything.
No one knows why there is something rather than nothing.
If you dont have the courage to take the small leap to see that God probably exists, there is nothing I can do. That is between you and your fears.
I'm really not going to base my worldview on courage, but rather evidence. I hope you understand this.

No, for scientific theories that go into the unobservable past, you have to show evidence in the present that there is such a process that can be empirically observed. Please provide an example.
If you have such a disdain and ignorance of evidence, then there's nothing I can do.

Back