God wanted human sacrifices for atonement of sin?

Under the New Covenant you just need to truly repent once, and the Spirit of God goes inside of you making you dead to sin. The New Covenant is 100 times better than the Old Covenant. Even though I was born a Gentile, I am now a part of the true Israel. Not all Jews who say they are of Israel, really are. I am part of Spiritual Israel, God true people.
even christianity doesn't teach that. You can't repent of future sins.

Except for the fact that we teach the secondary nature that the Son took up died.
Great. So the human nature isn't divine. No sacrifice here.

So, you didn't read what I said again. I'm not talking about the use of the term Elohim. I'm talking about the divine name referring to one walking on earth as a man. Again, Genesis 18.
Nothing in Genesis 18 says God walked on earth.

Except for the fact that we teach the secondary nature that the Son took up died.
Great. What evidence do you have that God can add a nature to Himself?

Which means God's divine nature didn't.
Which means no sacrifice of God occurred.

Not a contradiction.
Sure it is.

Benjamin D. Sommer​

PROFESSOR OF BIBLE AND ANCIENT SEMITIC LANGUAGES at The Jewish Theological Seminary in NYC.
DEPARTMENT: BIBLE, HEBREW UNIVERSITY, TIKVAH CENTER FOR JEWISH LAW AND CIVILIZATION, SHALOM HARTMAN INSTITUTE

Sorry for the typo.
No problem, I found his name. So, the guy is a Conservative Jew. Is this argument from authority supposed to impress me? It doesn't.

God Bless
Yep.

Great. So the human nature isn't divine. No sacrifice here.

Jesus' human nature still died; so, there was a sacrifice.

DoctrinesofGraceBapt said:
So, you didn't read what I said again. I'm not talking about the use of the term Elohim. I'm talking about the divine name referring to one walking on earth as a man. Again, Genesis 18.
Nothing in Genesis 18 says God walked on earth.

Not in those words. How about you read the passage? Three men met with Abraham, and Moses went out of his way for the next two chapters to call one of these men YHWH over and over again.

Great. What evidence do you have that God can add a nature to Himself?

Genesis 18 and 19. Why don't you read it and deal with what Moses wrote? BTW, there are other passages, but let's just stick with the primary one.

Which means God's divine nature didn't.
Which means no sacrifice of God occurred.

We never claimed there was a sacrifice of God. Stop assuming things we don't say. One who was God took on flesh and died as a man.

Vacuous claims should be ignored. You are the one making the accusation; therefore, you are the one who needs to show some contradiction. It may not fit within your theological framework, but that's not the standard for a contradiction. You need to show were I said A and ~A in the say way, kind and time. That didn't happen; so, no contradiction.

Benjamin D. Sommer​

PROFESSOR OF BIBLE AND ANCIENT SEMITIC LANGUAGES at The Jewish Theological Seminary in NYC.
DEPARTMENT: BIBLE, HEBREW UNIVERSITY, TIKVAH CENTER FOR JEWISH LAW AND CIVILIZATION, SHALOM HARTMAN INSTITUTE

Sorry for the typo.
No problem, I found his name. So, the guy is a Conservative Jew. Is this argument from authority supposed to impress me? It doesn't.

Not an argument from authority. I was simply pointing out that the position your presenting isn't even universally recognized among Jews. He wrote a whole book on the subject of God taking on physical form in the tanakh. It might be a good read for one arguing like you are arguing.

God Bless

Not in those words. How about you read the passage? Three men met with Abraham, and Moses went out of his way for the next two chapters to call one of these men YHWH over and over again.
The human messenger speaks on behalf of God. He is not God. Notice the Abraham never calls him El Shaddai or Yhwh.

To you, it might not be a question of impossibility, but not to everyone. Besides, this is not an argument; it's an opinion. Scripture teaches: "Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in form God, did not count equality with God a thing to be held onto, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." Phil 2:5-8.

An isolated verse (that too from Paul) cannot take precedence over the many verses that teach Jesus was not God.

Jesus' own disciple John writes "no one has seen God" (1John 4:12). So clearly, John did not regard Jesus as God.

Then we have Peter who calls Jesus a "Rabbi" (Mark 9:5). It's silly to think Peter addressed his God as "Rabbi".

Last edited:
Three men met with Abraham, and Moses went out of his way for the next two chapters to call one of these men YHWH over and over again.

Are you talking about this verse:

The Lord appeared to Abraham near the large trees of Mamre. Abraham was sitting at the entrance to his tent. It was the hottest time of the day. 2 Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. So he quickly left the entrance to his tent to greet them. He bowed low to the ground. (Genesis 18:1-2)

There's nothing in that passage that says God was among the three men. It's saying God appeared to Abraham (perhaps like the fire that Moses saw) and at the same time the three men (angels) showed up. God was not one among them.

Some might say that Abraham bowing low to the ground before the 3 men proves that God was among them. But Abraham was just honoring the angels, in the same way as Lot did.

The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening. Lot was sitting near the gate of the city. When Lot saw the angels, he got up to greet them. He bowed down with his face to the ground. 2 “My lords,” he said, “please come to my house. You can wash your feet and spend the night there. Then you can go on your way early in the morning.” (Genesis 19:1-2)

The human messenger speaks on behalf of God. He is not God. Notice the Abraham never calls him El Shaddai or Yhwh.

Interesting excuse. It doesn't work, but when one is desperate, they will throw out anything.

God Bless

To you, it might not be a question of impossibility, but not to everyone. Besides, this is not an argument; it's an opinion. Scripture teaches: "Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in form God, did not count equality with God a thing to be held onto, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." Phil 2:5-8.
An isolated verse (that too from Paul) cannot take precedence over the many verses that teach Jesus was not God.
Jesus' own disciple John writes "no one has seen God" (1John 4:12). So clearly, John did not regard Jesus as God.
Then we have Peter who calls Jesus a "Rabbi" (Mark 9:5). It's silly to think Peter addressed his God as "Rabbi".

Do you really think this kind of argumentation is meaningful? If you bothered to read Phil 2:5-8 carefully, you would realize that Paul is claiming Jesus has two natures. One divine; one not. Therefore, Jesus is God, and Jesus is not God in different ways. But let's just ignore this and go with either or for no reason whatsoever.

Three men met with Abraham, and Moses went out of his way for the next two chapters to call one of these men YHWH over and over again.

Are you talking about this verse:

The Lord appeared to Abraham near the large trees of Mamre. Abraham was sitting at the entrance to his tent. It was the hottest time of the day. 2 Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. So he quickly left the entrance to his tent to greet them. He bowed low to the ground. (Genesis 18:1-2)

There's nothing in that passage that says God was among the three men. It's saying God appeared to Abraham (perhaps like the fire that Moses saw) and at the same time the three men (angels) showed up. God was not one among them.

Some might say that Abraham bowing low to the ground before the 3 men proves that God was among them. But Abraham was just honoring the angels, in the same way as Lot did.

The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening. Lot was sitting near the gate of the city. When Lot saw the angels, he got up to greet them. He bowed down with his face to the ground. 2 “My lords,” he said, “please come to my house. You can wash your feet and spend the night there. Then you can go on your way early in the morning.” (Genesis 19:1-2)

Look at these verses too—Genesis 18:10, 13, 17, 20, 22, 26; 19:24.

God Bless

even christianity doesn't teach that. You can't repent of future sins.
OH, can you repeat this post of yours and elaborate? I don't know which part Christianity doesn't teach, and don't understand your second sentence, unless you are just making a statement.

LOL It can be wearying to continually post obvious at face value answers, and then receive a personal attack in reply.

That "human messenger" is called YHWH like eight times in Genesis 18 while the other two messengers are never recognized as such. You need to take what Moses wrote at face value as opposed to imposing your theological framework onto the text to determine what it can be teaching.

God Bless

to give Adam and Eve a choice between God continuing to do a creative work in them
or
with some knowledge of Good and Evil, them trying to do it themselves

Last edited:
Back