The hidden gospel , a mystery !

Christian

We know that the disciples did not understand the gospel as it was hidden from them until after Pentecost. Jesus even said that He hid it from them.

Luke 9:43-45
While everyone was marveling at all that Jesus did, he said to his disciples, 44 “Listen carefully to what I am about to tell you: The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men.” 45 But they did not understand what this meant. It was hidden from them, so that they did not grasp it, and they were afraid to ask him about it.

Luke 18:34
But the disciples did not understand any of these things. The meaning was hidden from them, and they did not comprehend what He was saying

Romans 16:25
Now to Him who is able to strengthen you by my gospel and by the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery concealed for ages past

1 Corinthians 2:7
No, we speak of the mysterious and hidden wisdom of God, which He destined for our glory before time began.

Ephesians 3:1-5
For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles—2 Surely you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that was given to me for you, 3 that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. 4 In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets.

hope this helps !!!

So my question is how can Gods elect sheep ( the disciples ), the chosen, predestined ones, not understand the gospel ?

They were blinded to the gospel, why ?

Can one be saved without knowing and understanding the gospel ?

Doesn't one have to be regenerate to understand the gospel ?

Isn't that what calvinism teaches ?

1 Corinthians 2:14
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

Last edited:
It's a good thing we can only start two Threads a day, Lol. I wonder who else will start Threads today ;) Hmm?

No one can be Saved without knowing and understanding the Gospel...

Y'all have given me a lot to think about this Doubting Thomas issue, so I know where you are going. In case you didn't know, there are Threads about this already?

The Disciples were under a different Dispensation...

I would base an answer on this; an answer I am developing. I reckon you and I will argue about the Dispensation of Grace applying to the Disciples then; or at Pentecost. I use the word Dispensation, but I hold to Covenant Theology...

It's a good thing we can only start two Threads a day, Lol. I wonder who else will start Threads today ;) Hmm?

Y'all have given me a lot to think about this Doubting Thomas issue, so I know where you are going. In case you didn't know, there are Threads about this already?

I would base an answer on this; an answer I am developing. O reckon you and I will argue about the Dispensation of Grace applying to the Disciples then; or at Pentecost. I use the word Dispensation, but I hold to Covenant Theology...
I'm not talking about theology or doctrine just the plain meaning of the texts in the OP and 1 Cor 2:14

The fact remains the disciples were not born again until Pentecost and did not understand the gospel prior.

That alone should help one see the myriad of problematic passages in the gospels for you . :)

hope this helps !!!

I'm not talking about theology or doctrine just the plain meaning of the texts in the OP and 1 Cor 2:14

The fact remains the disciples were not born again until Pentecost and did not understand the gospel prior.

That alone should help one see the myriad of problematic passages in the gospels for you . :)

hope this helps !!!
For me? Nah, there are no problems. I know you are limiting your Thread to the use of a few Verses, but @travelah advised you against that...

Arminians and Calvinists use All Scripture...

Last edited:

I would base an answer on this; an answer I am developing. I reckon you and I will argue about the Dispensation of Grace applying to the Disciples then; or at Pentecost. I use the word Dispensation, but I hold to Covenant Theology...
Honestly I wasn't even thinking about Thomas until you brought it up. I was thinking about them all as a group.

For me? Nah, there are no problems. I know you are limiting your Thread to a few Verses, but @travelah advised you against that...
No I'm not limiting it to a few verses as I have a dozen more that affirm the ones in the OP. I didn't want to overwhelm y'all :love:

The point in this thread, the common theme is they( the disciples ) did not understand the gospel and it was hidden from them, a mystery that had not been revealed to them. Are you disagreeing with that ?

Then add all the times they didn't understand Jesus parables and we have plenty of passages affirming they did not understand Jesus teaching on many things.

No I'm not limiting it to a few verses as I have a dozen more that affirm the ones in the OP. I didn't want to overwhelm y'all :love:

The point in this thread, the common theme is the did not understand and it was hidden from them, a mystery that had not been revealed to them. Are you disagreeing with that ?
Well, Jesus did say it was given unto them to understand the Parables...

But I'm not into this discussion at the moment. For me to agree with you, I would need the Positive reasons to believe our hearts and ears aren't first Circumcised...

I know your OP is a popular topic, so you will have many takers...

I don't limit anyone, the more the marrier imho. But I limit it to 2 here. If a topic takes off then there is no need like the one that was closed. Its all a crap shoot to find the interest as you know. You never know from day to day what the hot topic will be lol.

Well, Jesus did say it was given unto them to understand the Parables...

But I'm not into this discussion at the moment. For me to agree with you, I would need the Positive reasons to believe our hearts and ears aren't first Circumcised...

I know your OP is a popular topic, so you will have many takers...
Well first of all it contradicts certain theological positions, teachings on understanding the gospel or spiritual things. I know for a calvinist its troubling there is no way around that doctrinally/theologically. Its contrary to what they believe. This dog has a bone in his jaws thats the dog catcher cannot remove, like a pit bull locked onto :)

I thought you like to have your beliefs challenged and a dialogue ?

Or does that only depend on the topic ?
I do; but I'm not always as invested in CARM as you are...

I've been meaning to ask you how you stay Married, as much as you are here, on your Forum, the other Forums I know about, Golfing, Men's Groups, Zoom, Emailing, Counseling, Messeging, working, extra Profiles; whatever ;)

You are doing something right...

Last edited:
Back