Sunday Mass

The idea of voluntary attendance just sort of outraged them

I'll tell you why.

It is because not even they want to go....but they HAVE TO....so they want everyone else to HAVE TO as well. Basically, misery loves company.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard devout Catholics whip up such convoluted justifications why they have a special "dispensation" to miss Mass any particular day of obligation.

The RCC is an organization that loves imposing obligations and enacting rules for its members to believe. Its devout members often think the rules should be stricter even.

I used to post years ago on a now defunct RC-owned discussion forum- before I was suspended for 1,000 years. Some of the RC posters there were scandalized by how the Magisterium was sometimes reducing the numbers of HDO's that mass attendance was required or else. The idea of voluntary attendance just sort of outraged them, but I was told not to return for a millennium before I was able to really get inside their heads and figure out the "why".
I was suspended twice on the same site for a total of two millenia on two different accounts. It is disturbing, although not surprising about the authoritarian mindset of rc's towards people that disagree with them.

I'll tell you why.

It is because not even they want to go....but they HAVE TO....so they want everyone else to HAVE TO as well. Basically, misery loves company.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard devout Catholics whip up such convoluted justifications why they have a special "dispensation" to miss Mass any particular day of obligation.
Ahhh, they are just bragging about special they were that particular day.

Because Sunday is the Christian Sabbath and thus the day of covenant.

By not attending Mass we implicitly state by our actions that we are not part of the covenant.
Christian Sabbath? Does your sectarian leaders also command no Catholic work on Sunday?

Attending church services does NOT declare we are not part of the covenant. I know this because the new covenant is not based on attending church but rather on God's grace through FAITH. ALL who believe are children of God. There are plenty who go to church every week and are NOT a member of the Body of Christ.

I'll tell you why.

The all too familiar question from Catholics "does this count"? Sad

Where did you get the idea that the Last Supper was analogous to a church service?
I didn't! That was the whole point! I was asked why "Roman Catholics" don't simply pray, preach and sing.

My reply was to bring up the Last Supper. That is why. The Last Supper is the pattern of the "Roman" Mass. We follow that pattern.

I didn't! That was the whole point! I was asked why "Roman Catholics" don't simply pray, preach and sing.

My reply was to bring up the Last Supper. That is why. The Last Supper is the pattern of the "Roman" Mass. We follow that pattern.
So you all have dinner first, together THEN have the Lords Table? Hmm, never seen that before. Who swung the incense during the last supper? Where was the altar at the last supper? What pattern are you all supposedly following?

So you all have dinner first, together THEN have the Lords Table? Hmm, never seen that before. Who swung the incense during the last supper? Where was the altar at the last supper? What pattern are you all supposedly following?
Huh? What are you talking about?

The Mass is the Last Supper in RITUAL form. It is the living memorial of the Last Supper.

Because Sunday is the Christian Sabbath and thus the day of covenant.

By not attending Mass we implicitly state by our actions that we are not part of the covenant.
I was brought up RC and we were strongly discouraged from working on Sunday, in fact as a non-Catholic doing work for some devout Catholics I was not permitted or strongly discouraged from doing work for them on Sundays.
In a certain sense I get this, honoring various OT Sabbaths was commanded ny the ten commandments. So ascribing a day or days of rest (not any particular day per Rom 14) to the NT Christian makes sense to me. I think of it as fulfilling a placeholder of the OT commandment, yet understanding Christ is our Sabbath Rest. Similarly honoring those God has placed over you has NT life application as well. Whether it be your teachers, bosses, your civic leaders, pastors, elders, parents etc, these are all being fulfilled by extension, as the placeholder for honoring your mother and father under the old [OT].

Last edited:
Back