Argument 18: God Does Not Exist And Logic Proves It

I can't speak for PA, but i would answer that if the the things you said were true, that you can't have a married bachelor, a point of logic, would still be true.

The state of Bachelor/Married changes with time and time as a linear function as this universe is constituted. On what basis would you claim you can't have a married bachelor in a case where time behaves differently, for example if time doesn't behave as a well behaved function, or even as a function (using the mathematical meaning of "function")?

Um, the Earth is an oblate spheroid, and orbits the sun.

That is the current belief. That belief has changed in the past, and the foundation of modern science leaves open that it can change in the future. This is a different level of certainty that is required by PA.

The state of Bachelor/Married changes with time and time as a linear function as this universe is constituted. On what basis would you claim you can't have a married bachelor in a case where time behaves differently, for example if time doesn't behave as a well behaved function, or even as a function (using the mathematical meaning of "function")?
The definitions of married and bachelor dont change, which are all this point of logic depends on.
That is the current belief.
We know it to the degree it won't change. You seem to be trying to say we can't know anything, but that's obviously false, because we have a technology that works. If we didn't know anything, it wouldn't.
That belief has changed in the past, and the foundation of modern science leaves open that it can change in the future. This is a different level of certainty that is required by PA.
Some things will change, some things won't.

P4 says

Christians say god created the laws of logic, thus they are contingent on god. According to wikipedia a metaphysical necessity is "A proposition is said to be necessary if it could not have failed to be the case." Obviously if the principles of logic are contingent on god then the laws of logic could have failed to be the case, thus the laws of logic are not necessary.

And yet look at those laws I listed. Do you believe any of them could have failed to be the case? I don't. If what xtians say god is, contradicts known reality, such a god cannot exist.
Yes.... if god made different laws. That follows given that they (laws) are contingent, not a metaphysical necessity.

The definitions of married and bachelor dont change, which are all this point of logic depends on.

The rule of logic you are relying on is the Law of Non contradiction which entails simultaneity and assumptions about the direction and flow of time. Why would you assume time would behave identically if God created a different universe?

We know it to the degree it won't change. You seem to be trying to say we can't know anything, but that's obviously false, because we have a technology that works. If we didn't know anything, it wouldn't.

Did you actually read what I wrote in the first post of mine you quoted?

Some things will change, some things won't.

This appears to be a faith-based claim.

The rule of logic you are relying on is the Law of Non contradiction which entails simultaneity and assumptions about the direction and flow of time.
This is a claim in need of support.
Why would you assume time would behave identically if God created a different universe?
I don't. I just don't see how this would make any difference to the definitions of married and bachelor.
Did you actually read what I wrote in the first post of mine you quoted?
Yes. If I misunderstood, I wonder that you aren't explaining why.
This appears to be a faith-based claim.
That we have a technology that works says otherwise.

I suppose you have to keep telling yourself that.
I suppose you have to prove argument 18 is false.
I have no idea who these Xtians are.
Who cares. I am under no obligation to provide evidence from only xtians you know personally. The fact is I made a statement and it is directly supported by 2 very well known xtian authorities.
However you cite a US based protestant Christian websites and make a broad and sweeping claim about these Xtian characters.
The sources I cite are impeccable.
Getting past the fact that you can't tell the difference between Xtians and Christians
I abbreviate for efficiency.
you cite Got Questions which takes the sane approach and makes an evidentiary based conclusion, that does not impose a rule:

In the absence of independent philosophical and/or scientific evidence for the existence of a universe-ensemble, the concept remains nothing more than radical metaphysical conjecture.
They seem to be taking a very rational approach without declaring non-existence.
You intentionally mislead. The quote I gave said
There are several fundamental problems with this proposition, the key problem being that it is both unnecessary and ad hoc. There is no good scientific reason to think that we reside in one universe within a multitude of parallel universes. There is also no reason to think that there should be a mechanism for generating such universes, each with its own fundamental constants and values.
post #49. Got Questions says flat out there is one universe.
Answers in Genesis, which you intentionally left out because it directly contradicts you said
There is no “multiverse.” This idea is based in atheistic, naturalistic beliefs about the origin of the universe, not on the eyewitness account of history God has given us in his Word.

In proposition 5 you assert a different universe than the one we live in for the sake of your argument as you state:

If principles of logic are not logically necessary, then God could have arranged matters such that the principal laws of logic were different.
Since you are entertaining the idea of what God "could have" done, you are supposing a different universe than the one we live. For example: on what basis do you affirm that the laws of logic remain the same if if time jumped randomly and didn't flow smoothly, or in a uniform direction, or if the speed of causality slowed down over distance traveled, or if there were more than the 4 dimensions as the string theory proponents theorized back in the day?
Your lack of comprehension is astounding. NOWHERE in the argument, not in P5, NOWHERE do I ever explicitly say, nor do I imply a different universe. Omnipotence, remember that load of nonsense? If god created logic he could create whatever logic he wanted in this current universe. Thus the current basic principles of logic, if god exists, could have been different from what they are. But no one wants to admit this, because no one can even in theory, think of how they could be different. Thus the contradiction between what xtians claim god is and does and what reality we see with our own eyes. The conclusion is fully supported: "Hence logic is not dependent on God, and any God said to obtain such a property cannot exist."
If God arranged things differently (or if random chance arranged things differently), there is no reason to assume the laws of logic would be the same. Your claim is false regardless of the origin of the universe.
The argument talks about the laws of logic in this universe. It even gives examples, China and New Zealand. Did you think they were in other, unmentioned universes?
We have a new batch of logic, that appears to be equally bad.
I have a new batch of your observations, that appear to be equally bad.
The logical leap from the idea that if things can't be "known with certainty" to therefore "human knowledge is impossible" is rather preposterous and in defiance of observed reality.
Human knowledge is based on logic and reason. When a proposition is considered, and you are determining whether it is true or not, you use logic. For example if someone said "I was in London and Paris simultaneously" logic would say no and the proposition denied as truth. If god created logic and logic is simply the whim of god, then of course the validity of logic is unknown and all human knowledge is impossible, as we are all potentially using false logic to determine truth values of propositions.

You want "observed reality". Excellent. I want it too. You tell me how this could ever be false. I'm not asking for an actual example. I'm making it easy on you. Just in theory tell me how this could ever be false:
"If A=B and B=C then A=C"
There you go, observed, self evident reality. Explain it.
The fundamental assumption of the scientific method is that we know nothing with certainty even if "the basic laws of logic are true".
I am not doing science. This is an argument. A fundamental tenet of epistemology is that things can be known with certainty. Like I am certain you are wrong.
In this universe Human knowledge is doubling every 13 months (according to IBM) and contrary to your assertions, Human knowledge is demonstrably possible and is simultaneously propelled by the assumption that we know nothing with certainty.
If the evidence of something reaches the threshold of good standards of knowledge you believe it is true. If it easily surpasses the threshold then you believe it is certainly true.

I can't speak for PA
You don't have to speak for me. But as I said I welcome other atheists presenting affirmative arguments. If you see something in this argument that I am missing bring it forth. As I said to 5wize why do we atheists have to wait for our beliefs to be attacked and then defend. Let's force them to defend THEIR beliefs. I don't believe they can. In fact, 4 pages into this thread and they can't. Thank you sir.

You don't have to speak for me. But as I said I welcome other atheists presenting affirmative arguments. If you see something in this argument that I am missing bring it forth. As I said to 5wize why do we atheists have to wait for our beliefs to be attacked and then defend. Let's force them to defend THEIR beliefs. I don't believe they can. In fact, 4 pages into this thread and they can't. Thank you sir.
Ok, fine.

This is a claim in need of support.

Your claim: "you can't have a married bachelor"

The claim relies on the idea that a married person and a bachelor are a contradiction. The Law of Non-Contradiction states It is impossible for the same thing to belong and not to belong at the same time to the same thing and in the same respect (A source Another Source Another source)

As the universe is constituted, a single person moving forward in time can change state from bachelor to married and back again and not violate the law of non-contradiction as long as they aren't both married and a bachelor at the same time.

Do you see those words "the same time"? The law of logic you leaned on for you claim contains within it a dependency on the fact that time flows and is only experienced a single time by the observer.

This law of logic is subject to the universe.

I don't. I just don't see how this would make any difference to the definitions of married and bachelor.

How did you arrive at the idea that this was about the definitions of "married" and "bachelor".?

Yes. If I misunderstood, I wonder that you aren't explaining why.

No need to wonder. I'm not explaining why because it was blindingly obvious. But here goes:

1) You claimed about my argument:

You seem to be trying to say we can't know anything, but that's obviously false, because we have a technology that works. If we didn't know anything, it wouldn't.

In the post of mine that you quoted, I stated the exact opposite:

The logical leap from the idea that if things can't be "known with certainty" to therefore "human knowledge is impossible" is rather preposterous and in defiance of observed reality. The fundamental assumption of the scientific method is that we know nothing with certainty even if "the basic laws of logic are true". In this universe Human knowledge is doubling every 13 months (according to IBM) and contrary to your assertions, Human knowledge is demonstrably possible and is simultaneously propelled by the assumption that we know nothing with certainty.

Notice the words "with certainty" and the OP's emphasis upon them in the post I was addressing. You are allowing for uncertainty and so am I. The OP is not.

That we have a technology that works says otherwise.

You will have to explain this. Technology working does not invalidate the fact that you made a faith-based claim about future discoveries in science. Technology and science while somewhat related are not identical and often operate independently of each other. Flint and tinder (i.e. technology) worked just fine at starting fires for thousands of years before anybody figured out the periodic table.

Your claim: "you can't have a married bachelor"

The claim relies on the idea that a married person and a bachelor are a contradiction. The Law of Non-Contradiction states It is impossible for the same thing to belong and not to belong at the same time to the same thing and in the same respect (A source Another Source Another source)

As the universe is constituted, a single person moving forward in time can change state from bachelor to married and back again and not violate the law of non-contradiction as long as they aren't both married and a bachelor at the same time.

Do you see those words "the same time"? The law of logic you leaned on for you claim contains within it a dependency on the fact that time flows and is only experienced a single time by the observer.

This law of logic is subject to the universe.
Huh? That's a s clear as mud. Can you explain that better?
How did you arrive at the idea that this was about the definitions of "married" and "bachelor".?
Because we are talking about the point of logic that you can't have a married bachelor.
No need to wonder. I'm not explaining why because it was blindingly obvious. But here goes:

1) You claimed about my argument:

You seem to be trying to say we can't know anything, but that's obviously false, because we have a technology that works. If we didn't know anything, it wouldn't.

In the post of mine that you quoted, I stated the exact opposite:

The logical leap from the idea that if things can't be "known with certainty" to therefore "human knowledge is impossible" is rather preposterous and in defiance of observed reality. The fundamental assumption of the scientific method is that we know nothing with certainty even if "the basic laws of logic are true". In this universe Human knowledge is doubling every 13 months (according to IBM) and contrary to your assertions, Human knowledge is demonstrably possible and is simultaneously propelled by the assumption that we know nothing with certainty.

Notice the words "with certainty" and the OP's emphasis upon them in the post I was addressing. You are allowing for uncertainty and so am I. The OP is not.
We're getting bogged down in the weeds, I have no idea what you're trying to say.
You will have to explain this. Technology working does not invalidate the fact that you made a faith-based claim about future discoveries in science. Technology and science while somewhat related are not identical and often operate independently of each other. Flint and tinder (i.e. technology) worked just fine at starting fires for thousands of years before anybody figured out the periodic table.
If we didn't know anything our technology wouldn't work.

Huh? That's a s clear as mud. Can you explain that better?

Because we are talking about the point of logic that you can't have a married bachelor.

We're getting bogged down in the weeds, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Let's try this:

1) The OP proposed that the Laws of Logic are INDEPENDENT of the way the universe is arranged (P5 and P6)
2) I argued that the proposal was false. The laws of logic are DEPENDENT on the way the universe is arranged (Post 12, Post 24, Post 37, post 58).
3) You hilariously brought up the idea that a contradiction can't be true (Post 59)
4) I explained to you that the Law of No Contradictions is DEPENDENT on the way the universe is arranged. (specifically with regards to its dependency on TIME) (Post 60, 64, and 69)
5) You then then claimed you can't understand what is going on. (Post 70)
6) I'm having to explain it to you . . . again. (this post)

If we didn't know anything our technology wouldn't work.

False. Technology works or doesn't work regardless of our level of knowledge or ignorance.

P1. The principal laws of logic such as the law of non-contradiction, the law of identity, law of excluded middle, transitive laws, are self-evident to human beings.
P2. Christians believe God created everything, all things visible and invisible, including logic; or at least everything, including logic, is dependent on God.
P3. If something is created by or is dependent on God, it is not necessary — it is contingent on God.
P4. If principles of logic are contingent on God, they are not logically necessary.
P5. If principles of logic are not logically necessary, then God could have arranged matters such that the principal laws of logic were different.
P6. God could arrange matters so that a proposition and its negation were true at the same time. But this is absurd. How could God arrange matters so that China is larger than New Zealand and China is not larger than New Zealand?
C. Hence logic is not dependent on God, and any God said to obtain such a property cannot exist.
No, P2 is wrong. Careful study of the Bible shows that God did not create logic, He is logic personified. Ever read John 1? Just like He is the Good personified. So P5 and P6 is wrong, He cannot change the laws of logic because He cannot change Himself. Therefore logic shows that God probably DOES exist.

I suppose you have to prove argument 18 is false.

Already did that.

The sources I cite are impeccable.

A guy that claims AIG is generally representative of Xtians (whoever they are) thinks his sources is impeccable. That's hilarious.

You intentionally mislead. The quote I gave said

There are several fundamental problems with this proposition, the key problem being that it is both unnecessary and ad hoc. There is no good scientific reason to think that we reside in one universe within a multitude of parallel universes. There is also no reason to think that there should be a mechanism for generating such universes, each with its own fundamental constants and values.

Saying there is "no good scientific reason to think" something is a far far cry from declaring that there aren't any. If you can't tell the difference between the two claims, perhaps logical arguments are outside of your scope of capability.

post #49. Got Questions says flat out there is one universe.
Answers in Genesis, which you intentionally left out because it directly contradicts you said

I left it out, and laughed uproariously at you having to resort to citing Answers in Genesis to make your claims about these Xtian characters.

Your logic of using that source is equally as bad as if I had quoted Kim Il Jong as being representative atheists in general (or maybe you think he is?).

Your lack of comprehension is astounding. NOWHERE in the argument, not in P5, NOWHERE do I ever explicitly say, nor do I imply a different universe. Omnipotence, remember that load of nonsense? If god created logic he could create whatever logic he wanted in this current universe.

You explicitly said: "God could have arranged matters such that the principal laws of logic were different." That would result in a completely different universe. If the laws of logic were different, then the universe would be different at a fundamental level, for example time, identity, causality, and contradictions. I hate to break it to you, but tinkering with the logic and thereby mathematics is redefining the universe, and things like E=mc^2 aren't valid.

Thus the current basic principles of logic, if god exists, could have been different from what they are. But no one wants to admit this, because no one can even in theory, think of how they could be different. Thus the contradiction between what xtians claim god is and does and what reality we see with our own eyes. The conclusion is fully supported: "Hence logic is not dependent on God, and any God said to obtain such a property cannot exist."

Still terrible.

The argument talks about the laws of logic in this universe. It even gives examples, China and New Zealand. Did you think they were in other, unmentioned universes?

To answer your question: Yes. You did so when you mentioned that 1) God arranged things differently, and 2) this arrangement has different laws of logic. If you alter the laws of the universe so that logical contradictions are true, you are speaking of a universe that is fundamentally different than this one.

Human knowledge is based on logic and reason. When a proposition is considered, and you are determining whether it is true or not, you use logic. For example if someone said "I was in London and Paris simultaneously" logic would say no and the proposition denied as truth. If god created logic and logic is simply the whim of god, then of course the validity of logic is unknown and all human knowledge is impossible, as we are all potentially using false logic to determine truth values of propositions.

Yep, still as bad of a conclusion as the first time you mentioned it.

You want "observed reality". Excellent. I want it too. You tell me how this could ever be false. I'm not asking for an actual example. I'm making it easy on you. Just in theory tell me how this could ever be false:

"If A=B and B=C then A=C"

There you go, observed, self evident reality. Explain it.

What do you need me to explain exactly? Based on the laws of logic in this universe, you have made an equality statement between three Objects, A, B, and C. If A=B and B=C then A=C. They are equal (presuming changes over time aren't considered).

If the universe had different laws so that A=B=C<>B<>A, then the universe would be fundamentally different. That is the whole discussion we are having if you aren't aware. Having a different set of logical rules and therefore mathematical rules, is going to result in a completely different universe.

I am not doing science. This is an argument. A fundamental tenet of epistemology is that things can be known with certainty. Like I am certain you are wrong.

I'm certain you aren't using good logic to arrive at that conclusion.

If the evidence of something reaches the threshold of good standards of knowledge you believe it is true. If it easily surpasses the threshold then you believe it is certainly true.

Interesting way of going about things that you have. Scientific history is glorious testimony to the falsehood of what you wrote there. Human knowledge has been exponentially propelled forward by challenging certainty and testing and retesting it.

Let's try this:

1) The OP proposed that the Laws of Logic are INDEPENDENT of the way the universe is arranged (P5 and P6)
2) I argued that the proposal was false. The laws of logic are DEPENDENT on the way the universe is arranged (Post 12, Post 24, Post 37, post 58).
I see what you're saying here in relation to the OP.
3) You hilariously brought up the idea that a contradiction can't be true (Post 59)
You hilariously haven't shown how one can be.
4) I explained to you that the Law of No Contradictions is DEPENDENT on the way the universe is arranged. (specifically with regards to its dependency on TIME) (Post 60, 64, and 69)
You made claims with no clear explanation, about how the flow of time affects the definition of the words married and bachelor, or something like that.
5) You then then claimed you can't understand what is going on. (Post 70)
6) I'm having to explain it to you . . . again. (this post)
You haven't explained anything clearly yet.
False. Technology works or doesn't work regardless of our level of knowledge or ignorance.
If we didn't know things, we couldn't build anything that works.

P1. The principal laws of logic such as the law of non-contradiction, the law of identity, law of excluded middle, transitive laws, are self-evident to human beings.
P2. Christians believe God created everything, all things visible and invisible, including logic; or at least everything, including logic, is dependent on God.
P3. If something is created by or is dependent on God, it is not necessary — it is contingent on God.
P4. If principles of logic are contingent on God, they are not logically necessary.
P5. If principles of logic are not logically necessary, then God could have arranged matters such that the principal laws of logic were different.
P6. God could arrange matters so that a proposition and its negation were true at the same time. But this is absurd. How could God arrange matters so that China is larger than New Zealand and China is not larger than New Zealand?
C. Hence logic is not dependent on God, and any God said to obtain such a property cannot exist.

My $0.02

P6 is an argument from incredulity. Just because you can not imagine a different logical universe in which non-contradiction does not hold, does not mean one could not exist.

Therefore, the implicitly stated P6 is logically unsound, and the conclusion that rests on it can not be known to be true.

Doesn't mean that it isn't though ...

@positive atheist, sorry to pester you about this, but I can't help it.

If I give you a link about Ayn Rand's concept of the primacy of existence, do you think you'd read it?

You are so close to her viewpoint and share several crucial assumptions already. It's just very odd to me that (if I recall correctly) her work left you unimpressed.

OK. I am keeping track of all the ways you are going to prove argument 18 wrong. So far we have
1. dialetheism
2. "certain interpretations" of quantum mechanics (do the other interpretations prove 18 correct?)
3. "Eastern philosophy and religion as thought systems" (what about NOT as thought systems?)
4. "experimental philosophy"

Anything else you want to add to the list?
I'm not trying to prove your argument wrong (I don't even know what that means).

Rather, I've cited some philosophers' endorsement of dialetheism, and alluded to many more physicists' endorsement of certain interpretations of quantum mechanics, as evidence that your first premise ("P1. The principal laws of logic such as the law of non-contradiction, the law of identity, law of excluded middle, transitive laws, are self-evident to human beings") is false.

Beyond that, I've suggested that one could consider Eastern philosophy and religion as thought systems in which these 'laws' might not be as self-evident as they are to you. Similarly, experimental philosophy has taught us to be careful about generalising about the prevalence of allegedly 'self-evident' beliefs.

I've also reminded you that your P1 doesn't explicitly relate to any other part of your argument, and that your argument is invalid (as your arguments often are).

That's probably enough for now, no?

Back