Is NATO important? Yes, but not for the reason you think…

Thistle

Russia has no interest in conquering anything except what they've annexed in Ukrain. They've been down that road and it was a nightmare. If they actually wanted to start toppling countries along their western border they would have to be the stupidest people in the history of the world. You may believe that Putin is evil, and I'm sure you're right. But he can't be that stupid. And I assure you he's not! So if NATO is not protecting Western Europe from Russia what in the heck could it possibly be doing?

If NATO disappeared tomorrow every country would have to undertake their own security because effectively the United States would not be providing it. So if Germany goes into an accelerated military buildup how do you suppose that is going to look to the French people? How would that prospect look to the Netherlands? Without NATO Western Europe providing for their own defense would have an arms competition with each other. Misunderstandings and misinterpretations of their activity have proven over history to be catastrophic. As long as NATO is in place Western Europe doesn't have to even contemplate any of this.

But the last thing from a logical standpoint that they should be worried about is Russia.

Russia has no interest in conquering anything except what they've annexed in Ukrain. They've been down that road and it was a nightmare. If they actually wanted to start toppling countries along their western border they would have to be the stupidest people in the history of the world. You may believe that Putin is evil, and I'm sure you're right. But he can't be that stupid. And I assure you he's not!
Putin isn't necessarily stupid, but he is under a lot of pressure to conquer Ukraine. It would be embarrassing for him if he did not succeed at the goals he set when he launched the war. As a dictator he is also likely to be surrounded by yes-men who fear that if they disagree with Putin, they will "accidentally" fall off a tall building and then "accidentally" shoot themselves in the back of the head multiple times. These conditions often lead to objectively poor decision making by a world leader.

Russia has no interest in conquering anything except what they've annexed in Ukrain. They've been down that road and it was a nightmare. If they actually wanted to start toppling countries along their western border they would have to be the stupidest people in the history of the world. You may believe that Putin is evil, and I'm sure you're right. But he can't be that stupid. And I assure you he's not! So if NATO is not protecting Western Europe from Russia what in the heck could it possibly be doing?

If NATO disappeared tomorrow every country would have to undertake their own security because effectively the United States would not be providing it. So if Germany goes into an accelerated military buildup how do you suppose that is going to look to the French people? How would that prospect look to the Netherlands? Without NATO Western Europe providing for their own defense would have an arms competition with each other. Misunderstandings and misinterpretations of their activity have proven over history to be catastrophic. As long as NATO is in place Western Europe doesn't have to even contemplate any of this.

But the last thing from a logical standpoint that they should be worried about is Russia.

still backing Russia?

I warned you this might end well for you. Particularly now that Iran is escalating hostilities, with Russian support.

still backing Russia?

I warned you this might end well for you. Particularly now that Iran is escalating hostilities, with Russian support.
“Not” end well.

Probably an obvious typo, but certain trolls exploit that sort of thing.

Putin isn't necessarily stupid, but he is under a lot of pressure to conquer Ukraine. It would be embarrassing for him if he did not succeed at the goals he set when he launched the war. As a dictator he is also likely to be surrounded by yes-men who fear that if they disagree with Putin, they will "accidentally" fall off a tall building and then "accidentally" shoot themselves in the back of the head multiple times. These conditions often lead to objectively poor decision making by a world leader.
You seem to be describing Saddam Hussein. I just think you're wrong about that. There are lots of rational and smart people in Russia and I have every confidence that Vladimir Putin listens to at least some of them.

still backing Russia?
There's nothing patriotic about being an ignoramus when it comes to fall foreign policy. It's perfectly patriotic to be rational instead of stupid when considering what's best for the United States of America. I just can't figure out why you think it's patriotic to be a moron when it comes to foreign policy.
I warned you this might end well for you.
What? Perhaps you should have a couple more shots and call it a night. Nothing productive ever happens in your current state of sobriety.
Particularly now that Iran is escalating hostilities, with Russian support.
You might try a warm glass of milk if you can keep it down.

There's nothing patriotic about being an ignoramus when it comes to fall foreign policy. It's perfectly patriotic to be rational instead of stupid when considering what's best for the United States of America. I just can't figure out why you think it's patriotic to be a moron when it comes to foreign policy.

Yeah, you are totally incapable of justifying the autocratic and despotic Putin’s brutal invasion of Ukraine. All you can do is claim anyone that disagrees with you is an ignoramus and a moron.

What? Perhaps you should have a couple more shots and call it a night. Nothing productive ever happens in your current state of sobriety.

You might try a warm glass of milk if you can keep it down.

NATO is an arms trafficker. Nothing more. Now they got Poland doing their dirty work. And the so called UN security council? America, France, China, Russia, UK are the head of the pushers. It's big business.

Last edited:
You seem to be describing Saddam Hussein. I just think you're wrong about that. There are lots of rational and smart people in Russia and I have every confidence that Vladimir Putin listens to at least some of them.
He does. They then fall out of windows.

NATO is an arms trafficker. Nothing more. Now they got Poland doing their dirty work. And the so called UN security council? America, France, China, Russia, UK are the head of the pushers. It's big business.

Falling for our own propaganda to the point of nuclear proliferation is at very least a giant leap in the wrong direction.

about whom you have nothing but unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.
The forensic investigation of Vince Foster's remains showed that he was covered in carpet fiberils from the top of his head to the soles of his feet. I think it's highly unlikely that Vince Foster shot himself in some remote location then rolled himself up in a carpet only to stage his body in a car in a park along the GW Parkway. If that's a suicide, it's the most unusual suicide in history. That makes the explanation of Jeffrey Epstein's "suicide" look completely plausible by comparison. As our friends on the left are often fond of saying it has all the "earmarks" of an Arkancide.

You mean like Seth Rich or Vince Foster?
I was thinking rather of proved political assassinations, of which Putin has been responsible for several, rather than unhinged, far right conspiracy theories, which Putin has also been responsible for through his online efforts to influence the gullible. These particular conspiracy theories are more likely to be the result of homegrown nutjobs, however, so in answer to your question, no.

Back