Codex Sinaiticus - the facts

And yet not one page, one verse, or one word of the New Testament was lost over this 1500 years of supposed deterioration and heavy use.
No ink-acid problem, no tearing, not even one letter lost!

hmmmm.... sounds like it was new, and given wonderful special treatment.

(The Athenaeum noticed this anomaly in 1863.)

Think a bit. If it is one manuscript, and part of it is new, and part of it has an appearance of age, how old is the manuscript?

(If fact, there is no significant parchment and ink deterioration even on the rest of the manuscript, aside from the dump room and some end pieces and stuff like that.)

Except for the over-writting of the faded ink...

That faded over a thousand years plus...

And yet not one page, one verse, or one word of the New Testament was lost over this 1500 years of supposed deterioration and heavy use.
No ink-acid problem, no tearing, no foxing, not even one letter lost!
All 8,000+ verses .. perfecto!

hmmmm.... sounds like it was new, and given wonderful special treatment.

(The Athenaeum noticed this anomaly in 1863.)

Think a bit. If it is one manuscript, and part of it is new, and part of it has an appearance of age, how old is the manuscript?
hmmmm

(If fact, there is no significant parchment and ink deterioration even on the rest of the manuscript, aside from the dump room and some end pieces and stuff like that. The hand-colouring does not actually age the parchment and ink.)

The portion of the codex held by the British Library consists of 346½ folios, 694 pages (38.1 cm x 34.5 cm), constituting over half of the original work. Of these folios, 199 belong to the Old Testament, including the apocrypha (deuterocanonical), and 147½ belong to the New Testament, along with two other books, the Epistle of Barnabas and part of The Shepherd of Hermas. The apocryphal books present in the surviving part of the Septuagint are 2 Esdras, Tobit, Judith, 1 and 4 Maccabees, Wisdom, and Sirach.[11][14] The books of the New Testament are arranged in this order: the four Gospels, the epistles of Paul (Hebrews follows 2 Thess.), the Acts of the Apostles,[n 2] the General Epistles, and the Book of Revelation. The fact that some parts of the codex are preserved in good condition while others are in very poor condition suggests they were separated and stored in several places.[15]: 313–315

[15] Skeat, Theodore Cressy (2000). "The Last Chapter in the History of the Codex Sinaiticus". Novum Testamentum. Brill. XLII, 4 (4): 313–315

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 01, 2009
New fragment of Codex Sinaiticus discovered

. . A Greek student conservator who is studying for his PhD in Britain, Mr Sarris had been involved in the British Library's project to digitise the Codex and quickly recognised the distinct Greek lettering when he saw it poking through a section of the book binding. Speaking from the Greek island of Patmos yesterday, Mr Sarris said: "It was a really exciting moment. Although it is not my area of expertise, I had helped with the online project so the Codex had been heavily imprinted in my memory. I began checking the height of the letters and the columns and quickly realised we were looking at an unseen part of the Codex.

Finding Additional Leaves of the Codex Sinaiticus in a Book Binding
5/26/1975 to 2014

https://www.historyofinformation.com/detail.php?id=952

During restoration work on May 26, 1975 the monks of St. Catherine's monastery at Mount Sinai Offsite Linkdiscovered a sealed room in the monastery that contained art treasures and 1148 manuscripts, in various languages, of which 305 were complete. Among the the fragments were 12 complete leaves, and some fragments, of the Codex Sinaiticus.

In your own words, I would still like to know why you're targeting "Sinaiticus"?
In Burgon's words, at p78 "The Revision Revised," א and B are "two false witnesses."

א is said to have thousands of differences to the KJV.

My puzzle is why the obsession with א but not B? Or is it just that א is more open to conspiracy theories, allowing the conspiracy theorist to demonstate his talents, which is likely much of the attraction in casting them as "false witnesses".

In Burgon's words, at p78 "The Revision Revised," א and B are "two false witnesses."

My puzzle is why the obsession with א but not B? Or is it just that א is more open to conspiracy theories, allowing the conspiracy theorist to demonstate his talents, which is likely much of the attraction.
Their plan is to first discredit Sinaiticus for not being real. Then they would move on to Vaticanus claiming it wasn't real as well. Then they can prove that Westcott and Hort were mistaken, then "they" will somehow get credit for restoring the AV ("their" particular one). Their still somehow wanting to take on Hort (1800s, outdated) to defeat him.

They prefer this than making the Bible more accurate. We all now know that Hort was wrong about many things, and they seem to dwell in his mistakes, committing the same errors. If the KJV shares an error with Hort they will defend it with their last breath. Ironically as Textual Critics they are more like Hort than anyone else.

more open to conspiracy theories,
Interesting approach.

The jab pharma-$ mandate disaster,
along with the difficulties “returning” to the moon,
along with CIA involvement in the JFK assassination,
and 10% for the big guy on Hunter’s laptop,
and much more …

have pretty much destroyed “conspiracy theory” as a pejorative.

Interesting approach.

and much more …

Why deflect?

Except for the over-writting of the faded ink...
That faded over a thousand years plus...

So your position is that some weak ink being reinforced in a few pages must mean 1,500 years of wear (although it is trivially easy for the calligraphist to use weak ink).

While the superb New Testament, and the many pages even in the OT of super-ink, unreinforced, shows that those manuscript sections and pages are new, say ... c. AD 1840. Simply impossible to have been subject to 1500 years of aging and deterioration and use.

Interesting ... hmmm .. the same manuscript has two different ages?
Which one wins?

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the parchment.

Last edited:
Then they would move on to Vaticanus claiming it wasn't real as well.

Vaticanus at least has some provenance, we know it was in the Vatican library in the late 1400s. The idea of 4th century is basically just a guess, and many had a later date, until Westcott and Hort needed early dates for the two manuscripts for their theories. Vaticanus has its own quirks, here is one:

Wieland Willker
Codex Vaticanus Graece 1209, B/03
http://www.willker.de/wie/Vaticanus/general.html

My pet theory:
I think that it is possible the the codex has been washed off to create a palimpsest.
That a codex ink is fading throughout so strongly is quite exceptional. I think it is possible that at some point someone decided to wash off the ink to create 'recycled' blank parchment. For some reason it was decided later to keep the text and codex and someone had to retrace everything.
Well, just my private speculation ...

Interesting approach.

and much more …

There's more likelihood of you winning the lottery than proving Sinaiticus was a 19th century fake. The problem with conspiracy theorists is that, like Alex Jones, they never know when to stop. They become more and more emboldened, and are unable to appraise their true position with respect to the facts, and with respect to what is morally right to credit, which are, beyond reasonable doubt in this case, that both א and B are authentic, as has been known since the 19th century.

As for the 'difficulties' of returning to the moon, The United States spent $25.8 billion on Project Apollo between 1960 and 1973, or approximately $257 billion when adjusted for inflation to 2020 dollars, (contrasted with aid to Ukraine = $68 billion).

So you reckon all that money was spent on a plan to deceive the people or the Russians? Your conspiracy theory will have to explain where all the money went, if it did not go on what it was actually spent on: again an insurmountable task for you.

The problem is, you can't see yourself, and you can't see reality for what it is. Conspiracy theories are what cults feed off. They do not honor God. True religion is not a cult. Christianity is not a cult. Historically, many conceived Christianity as cultic, and such cults, as based on conspiracy theories, were continually excommunicated: consider Epiphanius of Salamis and his Panarion, or Irenaeus's Against Heresies.

For the KJV to be made the object of veneration is cultic.

Last edited:
Ironically as Textual Critics they are more like Hort than anyone else.
That's an interesting insight. However I wouldn't agree with the idea that KJVOists should be seen as textual critics. For the most part, they do not attain such an exalted academic status. KJVOists are relatively unlearned fanatics and extremists in defying even the consensus of history and academia (e.g. The Johannine comma). Any genuine textual critic is to be preferred, whatever their POV.

Whatever the text of the KJV is, is what they go with. Of course when there are textual variants in the KJV then they don't acknowledge them. But when Professor Hort agrees with the KJV against others they automatically go with Hort. They have no choice, it was made before they were born to go with Horts decisions. That why I said they are more like Hort. Bound by his decisions, unlike thinking people's decisions.

Last edited:
Whatever the text of the KJV is, is what they go with. Of course when there are textual variants in the KJV then they don't acknowledge them. But when Professor Hort agrees with the KJV against others they automatically go with Hort. They have no choice, it was made before they were born to go with Horts decisions. That why I said they are more like Hort. Bound by his decisions, unlike thinking people's decisions.
Bound to Hort's decisions, but bound by their KJVO delusion.

But when you say, "agrees with the KJV against others", can you be more precise, with specific examples? There are places where he retains a qualified textus receptus (bracketed) but I should imagine there is seldom an unqualified preference for the textus receptus against the rest.

Last edited:
Bound to Hort's decisions, but bound by their KJVO delusion.

But when you say, "agrees with the KJV against others", can you be more precise, with specific examples? There are places where he retains a qualified textus receptus (bracketed) but I should imagine there is seldom an unqualified preference for the textus receptus against the rest.
My apologies. I am wasting you time. I was just pointing out when KJVOnlys talk trash about Hort, yet the KJV and Hort will agree against other editions of the Greek New Testament. Sometimes even all other editions, they are forced to agree with the one they were talking trash about. I liked to point out the ironic situation they find themselves in. Did not mean to side track.

As for the 'difficulties' of returning to the moon, The United States spent $25.8 billion on Project Apollo between 1960 and 1973, or approximately $257 billion when adjusted for inflation to 2020 dollars ... .

Don Petit, NASA astronaut:

“I’d go to the moon in a nanosecond. The problem is we don’t have the technology to do that anymore. We used to but we destroyed that technology and it’s a painful process to build it back again.”

Back