Which of their gods so Mormons worship?

Janice Bower

Which God do Mormons worship?

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me." (Exodus 20)

God is the Supreme Being in the universe.
  1. 1.
    God the Father is greater than all (see Ephesians 4:6; John 10:29).
    1. 2.
      As the Supreme Being, God the Father should be the object of our love and worship (see D&C 18:40; 20:29; Joshua 22:5; Mark 12:30; D&C 4:2;Luke 4:8).
    2. Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual Chapter 3: God the Eternal Father
3 Nephi 11
13 And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto them saying:

14 Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.
side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come.

16 And when they had all gone forth and had witnessed for themselves, they did cry out with one accord, saying:

17 Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God! And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus, and did worship him.

18 And it came to pass that he spake unto Nephi (for Nephi was among the multitude) and he commanded him that he should come forth.

19 And Nephi arose and went forth, and bowed himself before the Lord and did kiss his feet.

Do Mormons worship one god, two gods or three gods?

Which God do Mormons worship?

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me." (Exodus 20)

God is the Supreme Being in the universe.
  1. 1.
    God the Father is greater than all (see Ephesians 4:6; John 10:29).
    1. 2.
      As the Supreme Being, God the Father should be the object of our love and worship (see D&C 18:40; 20:29; Joshua 22:5; Mark 12:30; D&C 4:2;Luke 4:8).
    2. Doctrines of the Gospel Student Manual Chapter 3: God the Eternal Father
3 Nephi 11
13 And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto them saying:

14 Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.
side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come.

16 And when they had all gone forth and had witnessed for themselves, they did cry out with one accord, saying:

17 Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God! And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus, and did worship him.

18 And it came to pass that he spake unto Nephi (for Nephi was among the multitude) and he commanded him that he should come forth.

19 And Nephi arose and went forth, and bowed himself before the Lord and did kiss his feet.

Do Mormons worship one god, two gods or three gods?
Plurality of Gods

See ADAM-GOD THEORY, CHRIST, FALSE GODS, FATHER IN HEAVEN, GODHEAD, GODHOOD, HOLY GHOST, POLYTHEISM. Three separate personages — Father, Son, and Holy Ghost — comprise the Godhead. As each of these persons is a God, it is evident, from this standpoint alone, that a plurality of Gods exists. To us, speaking in the proper finite sense, these three are the only Gods we worship. But in addition there is an infinite number of holy personages, drawn from worlds without number, who have passed on to exaltation and are thus gods.

Mormon Doctrine under Plurality of Gods

Accurate answers, guys! But they are allowed to only pray to the father unless that has changed like so many other teachings have. Occasionally a Mormon will admit they are polytheists.

"The Saints worship one God. There are no competing divinities in whom they put their trust. LDS scripture contains such language (1 Nephi 13:41, 2 Nephi 31:21, Mosiah 15:1-5, Alma 11:26-37, Mormon 7:7, DC 20:28, Moses 1:20), but it is qualified in somewhat the same way that Creedal Christians have found a way of saying "three"—as in Trinity—and yet also one."
fairlatterdaysaints.org

Truman Madsen (BYU professor emeritus) was refreshingly candid on the subject:

“People tell us, ‘You don’t believe in one God; you believe in three Gods.’ And the answer is, ‘Yes, we do.’ If that is polytheism then we are.” (“150-Year- Old Debate: Are Mormons `Really Christian’? San Francisco Chronicle, April 8, 1996).

We worship one God. If you have any questions about that, see Paul's doctrine about it in 1 Cor 8:6
How according to mormons is Jesus God? Then as God how is Jesus the same God as the father....considering mormons don't consider themselves as trinatarian?

How according to mormons is Jesus God?
How is he not God? Are you asking me to define what God is?
Then as God how is Jesus the same God as the father.
Strange questions. Jesus is not the same as the Father because they are separate beings. Hence the Father and Son relationship. Now, unless you believe that Jesus is his own Father, you will have difficulty explaining your position. It's not tenable. There are, in fact, many gods. Paul also made that clear in 1 Cor 8. You guys like to add to the scripture and claim that Paul was talking about many false gods, but; since the one God that we worship was in that superset, then he obviously wasn't talking about false gods. In fact, if one were to look a little deeper, it would appear that Paul doesn't believe Jesus is God or a god, but I'm pretty sure he does. I do. I believe all the New Testament Christians believe Jesus was a god. Yet Paul separates out the one God the Father from the one Lord, Christ.

So the question for you to answer is, Is Jesus his own Father. Otherwise, if he isn't, then whoever is his Father must be God, the one that Paul was referring to in 1 Cor 8:6 and the one we worship.

We are. But we worship one God. If you have any questions about that, see Paul's teachings on the subject 1 Cor 8:6. That is the God we worship.
From that verse it would seem to suggest the mormons only worship God the Father and don't worship the Word who was God and became flesh...that is Jesus.
That's because he obviously is a separate being. He isn't his own Father you know.
Mormon theology teaches that Jesus was some sort of unorganized pre-spirit substance that God the Father created as a result of some form of procreation with a heavenly mother.

How is he not God? Are you asking me to define what God is?

No, I'm asking how an unorganized pre-spirit substance became God.
Strange questions. Jesus is not the same as the Father because they are separate beings. Hence the Father and Son relationship. Now, unless you believe that Jesus is his own Father, you will have difficulty explaining your position. It's not tenable. There are, in fact, many gods. Paul also made that clear in 1 Cor 8. You guys like to add to the scripture and claim that Paul was talking about many false gods, but; since the one God that we worship was in that superset, then he obviously wasn't talking about false gods. In fact, if one were to look a little deeper, it would appear that Paul doesn't believe Jesus is God or a god, but I'm pretty sure he does. I do. I believe all the New Testament Christians believe Jesus was a god. Yet Paul separates out the one God the Father from the one Lord, Christ.

So the question for you to answer is, Is Jesus his own Father. Otherwise, if he isn't, then whoever is his Father must be God, the one that Paul was referring to in 1 Cor 8:6 and the one we worship.
Jesus wasn't His own father as the bible tells us Jesus was the eternal one and only Son.
As John tells us in John 1 the Word was God, with God and He was God from the beginning.
Christian disagree with the unbiblical position of mormons as Jesus always was God rather that some "intelligence" in an unorganized pre-spirit substance that later became recognized as god.

From that verse it would seem to suggest the mormons only worship God the Father and don't worship the Word who was God and became flesh...that is Jesus.
Whatever you think that verse means, it clearly comes from the Bible which you claim to believe. We believe it. How can you claim that you follow the word when you don't believe it?
Mormon theology teaches that Jesus was some sort of unorganized pre-spirit substance that God the Father created as a result of some form of procreation with a heavenly mother.
Again, no such teaching exists in our theology. That is a fabrication created by our critics.

We worship one God. If you have any questions about that, see Paul's doctrine about it in 1 Cor 8:6
But you don’t worship the God of Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob…or Noah, King David, or John The Baptist, he being the last OT prophet. Also you don’t worship the God of the BoM then…correct?

No, I'm asking how an unorganized pre-spirit substance became God.
There's no reason for me to address that comment. It's not part of our theology. We have no doctrine to address "pre-spirit" existence.
Jesus wasn't His own father
Well then, by that statement alone, we can surmise that God the Father is a separate individual from God the Son. That alone opens the door the polytheism, does it not? Here's what I believe is happening here. You guys have a doctrine you have to defend even if it has no defense. We will eventually devolve into the unexplained. That's not a problem for our religion. We don't have to explain anything because the scriptures support a Father-Son relationship that equates to the family relationship that we all know and understand. We know where children come from and it appears that Jesus came into the world the very same way all children come into the world. In fact, we understand it so well, that we know that whoever Jesus' Father was, He had to be human. That's a biological fact, but your religion teaches us to discard the facts and accept some fairy-tale explanation. You all are expected to believe in magic. That somehow, a singular being created himself in a woman's body but he isn't his own Father. Amazing.

But I do agree with you, Jesus isn't his own Father. And as such, the Father and the Son are two separate beings (on this point, even though it's obviously true, I'm sure we'll disagree).
as the bible tells us Jesus was the eternal one and only Son.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Jesus is NOT God's only son. You guys seem to think you can argue our position but you can't and no matter how many times you repeat it, it's never going change what our position actually is.
As John tells us in John 1 the Word was God, with God and He was God from the beginning.
Yep The word was WITH God. That's clearly showing the existence of two beings and that they are both God.
Christian disagree with the unbiblical position of mormons
Well, you may disagree, but true Christians would believe the Bible and not subject it to their own personal interpretations. You have already admitted that Jesus is not his own Father. You also admit the Word (Jesus) was with God from the beginning. We also believe Jesus is God. That' makes two Gods, right there. That's the Biblical testimony. We believe it. It doesn't appear that you do.
Jesus always was God
That is our position. We have not changed that position one bit.

Whatever you think that verse means, it clearly comes from the Bible which you claim to believe. We believe it. How can you claim that you follow the word when you don't believe it?
It's one thing for you to say I don't believe the Word.....it's another for you to prove I don't. So, please stop sinning and bearing false witness against me....or face the probability you according to mormon salvation will never achieve it..

Back