Matthew 26:34

Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Could Peter have willed himself not to deny Christ three times?
Did Jesus know this, because of Foreknowledge, because he Decreed it; or because he knew what is in Man?

Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

How about in John 11 where Lazarus was raised from the dead....did Lazarus have a choice?

I am curious how the demoniac decided to follow Jesus. Doesn't seem like he had control over his own body. Unless free will means running around naked cutting yourself with stones and living among the tombs. If that is free will, I am not happy.

Did Jesus know this, because of Foreknowledge, because he Decreed it; or because he knew what is in Man?

The rooster crowing immediately after the third denial with our Lord present..... seems very specific knowledge.

Maybe the Lord Jesus caused the rooster to crow?

I do agree that Peter was predictable. I'm definitely predictable.

Believe it or not.... My wife can foretell my future. She is very good at it.....You know.... like "tomorrow morning, you need to take out the trash".

The rooster crowing immediately after the third denial with our Lord present..... seems very specific knowledge.

Believe it or not.... My wife can foretell my future. She is very good at it.....You know.... like "tomorrow morning, you need to take out the trash".
God certainly IS Providential...

Jesus wander a fortune teller. He was God, and he knew exactly what would happen.

Jesus wander a fortune teller. He was God, and he knew exactly what would happen.

Never said He was. There is a difference between knowing something will happen and causing something to happen. Just referencing the difference. I believe in secondary cause that is often overlooked in these types of discussions.

I do believe that Peter was predictable and Jesus just might have been the primary cause of the rooster crowing. I can't prove it or guarantee I'm right .... :)

Yes and no. He couldn't have done differently once Christ prophesied what he would do, since Christ would have foreseen a different set of circumstances if, in fact, Peter didn't deny Christ three times. (If he only denied Christ twice, then Christ would have prophesied that instead). But this means that in a logical sense, Peter's decision to deny Him three times preceded Christ's prophesy. Since his decision preceded Christ's prophecy, then there is no need to suppose that he lacked free will in the matter.

Back