Science and Faith in Dialogue

Realistically, all the ID arguments have been debunked. I appreciate IDists are still using them, but that is because they have books to sell. Behe's Irreducibly Complexity, Dembski's Explanatory Filter, Paley's watch... they have all had their day and been shown to be nonsense.
I can see why Paley's watch has been debunked (it is does not have any self replicating properties) and was never part of ID. But everything else still holds and are debunked only in the biased minds of ID opponents.

OK, that's #1 from my two scenarios. But we don't know that the universe has been put together like a hammer as been: actually, that's the claim we're trying to figure out - whether (someone) put it together or whether it happened without some agent doing it.
I have no scientific answer. I believe that the Creator or God did it based on scripture.

I simply stated the Kalam Cosmological argument which has been around for centuries.
Do you think that makes it right? If not, what is your point?

Some very simple and obvious statements: Anything that begins to exist has a cause - a very simple and straight forward statement.
But not necessarily true.

You are wanting to extrapolate from things contained in the universe to the universe itself. You might be right, but you might not. And QM shows that sometimes the "very simple and obvious statements" can indeed be wrong.

The Universe began to exist (according to accepted current theory) and so the universe had a cause.
Again, we do not know that. Plenty of scientists think that that is not necessarily the case. The singularity at the Big Bang is not something that actually happened, it is just a point we cannot see past.

And you want to make a federal case out of it making statements that I am assuming things at the quantum scale must work at the macro scale. Me thinks that thou doth protest too much.
Sure, because you have an agenda you want to promote. You want the Kalam to be true, and it suits your purposes to assume these claims are true, when they are not.

This is, of course, the difference between science and religion - religion starts from the conclusion it wants and works back from there.

Let me guess, they are all atheists who can't bear to see a challenge to their pet theory of evolution.
You might want to look in the mirror, Cisco. You are exactly describing what you are doing here.

Faith in God is not science (2 Corinthians 5:7 for we walk by faith, not by sight.) Science works by experimentation and observation which is sight. ID does not claim to be faith because it relies on scientific experiments, observation and theory and does not use biblical scripture as its authoritative source.
Right. We have no experimentation and observation of God. What was it you said before?

"But if you're going to advocate science, you need to stick with what is observable."

I can see why Paley's watch has been debunked (it is does not have any self replicating properties) and was never part of ID. But everything else still holds and are debunked only in the biased minds of ID opponents.
The number of real scientists who take ID seriously is vanishingly small, despite a large proportion of them being Christian.

Behe's irreducible complexity has been trashed so often - even in a court of law. It is embarrassing he is still flogging that dead horse. This link is to BioLogos, a Christian site with the by-line "God's Word, God's World".

At least Dembski has had the sense to move on from his ridiculous explanatory filter.

It is telling that the Discovery Institute have closed their single lab, and they are now targeting church-goers rather than scientists.

I have no scientific answer. I believe that the Creator or God did it based on scripture.
Are you saying that scripture has actual evidence that adds up rationally to God doing it, or merely that you believe in scripture on faith, meaning you just have to accept that it's true even though the evidence isn't sufficient?

Are you saying that scripture has actual evidence that adds up rationally to God doing it, or merely that you believe in scripture on faith, meaning you just have to accept that it's true even though the evidence isn't sufficient?
Meaning that I believe the scripture based on faith and the evidence that it has provided to itself. I don't have to accept anything I just do. Just as you reject the scriptures even though the evidence isn't sufficient.

The number of real scientists who take ID seriously is vanishingly small, despite a large proportion of them being Christian.
The number of scientists that accept evolution as the dominant theory is 97% while 87% percent believe that it happened by purely natural processes. That's not classified as vanishing small.
Behe's irreducible complexity has been trashed so often - even in a court of law. It is embarrassing he is still flogging that dead horse. This link is to BioLogos, a Christian site with the by-line "God's Word, God's World".
This was an attack by K. Applegate launched on June 2010 and refuted by Donald Ewert on November 2010. That is hardly a debunking.
Ewert
This must be a miss link because I don't see Dembski moving on in your link but rather the opposite.
It is telling that the Discovery Institute have closed their single lab, and they are now targeting church-goers rather than scientists.
It is also telling that Secularists have dried up funding to DI research and then want to use that as a case in point argument.

Last edited:
The number of scientists that accept evolution as the dominant theory is 97% while 87% percent believe that it happened by purely natural processes. That's not classified as vanishing small.
Where do you get those figures?

If 87% is right, then the other 13% would include any theist who believes God guided evolution or that God merely set the process going, and left it at that. In fact, the implication here is that only 13% of scientists are theists of any stripe, which sounds unlikely.

This was an attack by K. Applegate launched on June 2010 and refuted by Donald Ewert on November 2010. That is hardly a debunking.
Ewert
From the link:

"The irreducible nature of this network has been demonstrated using knockout mice in which individual factors are eliminated (Fuxa and Skok). "

So IDists are still only considering the direct route, and ignoring an indirect route, eg scaffolding! This is just more flogging of the dead horse.

This must be a miss link because I don't see Dembski moving on in your link but rather the opposite.
Sorry, the link was to show the explanatory filter has been trashed, not that he moved on. I thought that that was common knowledge! See here:

It is also telling that Secularists have dried up funding to DI research and then want to use that as a case in point argument.
I am guessing you mean ID research? Were secularists ever funding it?

Where do you get those figures?

If 87% is right, then the other 13% would include any theist who believes God guided evolution or that God merely set the process going, and left it at that. In fact, the implication here is that only 13% of scientists are theists of any stripe, which sounds unlikely.
At least I look up the information or google once or twice without making stuff up.
From the link:

"The irreducible nature of this network has been demonstrated using knockout mice in which individual factors are eliminated (Fuxa and Skok). "

So IDists are still only considering the direct route, and ignoring an indirect route, eg scaffolding! This is just more flogging of the dead horse.
The indirect routes that you're so proud of are derived from computer simulations without experimental observation which make them theoretical. And it has always been the case that experimentation and observation trump theory in science.
Sorry, the link was to show the explanatory filter has been trashed, not that he moved on. I thought that that was common knowledge! See here:
This seems like a simple retirement from ID not a renunciation of all his work. You keep jumping to all these assumptions.
I am guessing you mean ID research? Were secularists ever funding it?
ID has never had the funding or control over who gets the funding. It's too bad because they could do better. For instance, we would have known about the myth of "junk DNA" long before we did and many people wouldn't have had their tonsils removed every time a doctor went into the throat to perform minor surgery because were considered vestigial organs.

At least I look up the information or google once or twice without making stuff up.
And yet when challenged, you cannot support the figures you seeming pulled out your backside...

The indirect routes that you're so proud of are derived from computer simulations without experimental observation which make them theoretical. And it has always been the case that experimentation and observation trump theory in science.
So what? IC claims evolution of these systems is impossible. Speculation, computer simulations, whatever... if it shows a plausible route, IC is dead in the water.

To show a system is really IC, IDists have to show there is no possible evolutionary route, even indirect ones. They have never done that because it would be impossible to do even if true. So they do the next best thing, and quietly shift between different definitions in the hope their ignorant audience will not notice.

What definition of IC do you use?

This seems like a simple retirement from ID not a renunciation of all his work. You keep jumping to all these assumptions.
Really? What have IDists done with Dembski's explanatory filter in the last 10 years?

ID has never had the funding or control over who gets the funding. It's too bad because they could do better. For instance, we would have known about the myth of "junk DNA" long before we did and many people wouldn't have had their tonsils removed every time a doctor went into the throat to perform minor surgery because were considered vestigial organs.
IDists need to start doing science if they want science funding. It is as simple as that.

Meaning that I believe the scripture based on faith and the evidence that it has provided to itself.
How does scripture provide evidence to itself, and how is that relevant?

I don't have to accept anything I just do.
Then you're accepting not on the basis of evidence, because sufficient evidence should compel someone to believe. So it's [blind] faith then. What else could it be?

Just as you reject the scriptures even though the evidence isn't sufficient.
I reject scriptures *because* the evidence isn't sufficient, not *even though* the evidence is insufficient.

And yet when challenged, you cannot support the figures you seeming pulled out your backside...
I googled the information but I do notice that you did not provide an alternative data set. Just ranting about the information even though you use such terms as ID proponents are vanishingly small.
So what? IC claims evolution of these systems is impossible. Speculation, computer simulations, whatever... if it shows a plausible route, IC is dead in the water.

To show a system is really IC, IDists have to show there is no possible evolutionary route, even indirect ones. They have never done that because it would be impossible to do even if true. So they do the next best thing, and quietly shift between different definitions in the hope their ignorant audience will not notice.

What definition of IC do you use?
They would not even have come up with alternative evolutionary routes if Behe hadn't introduced IC's. The new routes were in response to Behe and his IC concept. Your Darwinist group would have remained content with a straight and linear non-challenged RMNS rendition of evolution. So in this case, Behe was supposedly responsible for a whole new area of evolutionary knowledge that had been vacant for over a hundred years. And all this while giving Behe absolutely no credit for his contribution. Well, Behe still maintains that IC is a challenge to evolution and your fabricated computer simulations don't overwrite what we observe in the real IC world.

I don't have an IC definition, I just use whatever Behe says he uses. All I have is some paraphrase that an IC only works when all the pieces are in place.
Really? What have IDists done with Dembski's explanatory filter in the last 10 years?
They have rejected concepts put forth by materialists that life initially sprang from dead matter without intelligent design.
IDists need to start doing science if they want science funding. It is as simple as that.
Atheistic prevalence in the field would never willingly allow IDists to move in to their world no matter how much science they did (and they are doing a lot). You have example after example of scientists as well as lay persons getting kicked out of their positions for taking a stand on ID. That does not sound like ID will ever get a fair shake to me.

Last edited:
How does scripture provide evidence to itself, and how is that relevant?
Personally, I found the best evidence in Genesis and Exodus but an elaboration would be beyond the scope of this forum. But, then again, the word "evidence" is not the correct term. It is more of an anchoring.
Then you're accepting not on the basis of evidence, because sufficient evidence should compel someone to believe. So it's [blind] faith then. What else could it be?
Bingo!
I reject scriptures *because* the evidence isn't sufficient, not *even though* the evidence is insufficient.
It is what it is.

Personally, I found the best evidence in Genesis and Exodus but an elaboration would be beyond the scope of this forum. But, then again, the word "evidence" is not the correct term. It is more of an anchoring.
Here's the problem: I said,
Then you're accepting not on the basis of evidence, because sufficient evidence should compel someone to believe. So it's [blind] faith then.
and you said,
but deciding not on the basis of evidence means that you can accept **anything.** I believe, purely on blind faith, that I cam jump off a 10-story building and fly just by flapping my arms. Evidence - nor anything else - has any power to limit what you can believe by blind faith. That makes blind faith a **horrible** means for reaching a conclusion.

Here's the problem: I said,

and you said,

but deciding not on the basis of evidence means that you can accept **anything.** I believe, purely on blind faith, that I cam jump off a 10-story building and fly just by flapping my arms. Evidence - nor anything else - has any power to limit what you can believe by blind faith. That makes blind faith a **horrible** means for reaching a conclusion.
You are comparing faith in something that is clearly false to faith (which is trust) in a higher power. It is not wrong to have faith in a friend or a spouse and in fact faith in a spouse is what builds the relationship. Faith in a higher power is what pulls you trough the rough spots in life and it's that pulling through that make your faith stronger.

You are comparing faith in something that is clearly false to faith (which is trust) in a higher power.
But without evidence, with just blind faith, there's no way to tell what is false or what is a higher power. And, see below.

It is not wrong to have faith in a friend or a spouse and in fact faith in a spouse is what builds the relationship.
You have evidence that your trust in a friend or a spouse is founded. And, if you believe in someone with blind faith, with no evidence that your trust is founded, you can get differ very badly.

It's not an issue of having trust, it's an issue of that trust being blind, that is, having no evidence for it.

A book from South Africa by Frederik van Niekerk. The book can be downloaded from the linked web page and is about 300 pages in PDF.

Book

Synopsis​

Science and Faith in Dialogue presents a cogent, compelling case for concordance between science and theism. The term theism refers, in this book, to the belief in God's existence. Within theology, the term theism is often used to convey a range of presuppositions about the nature and attributes of God. Based on scientific and natural theological perspectives, two pillars of natural theology are revisited: the Cosmological Argument and the Argument from Design. The book argues that modern science provides undeniable evidence and a scientific basis for these classical arguments to infer a rationally justifiable endorsement of theism as being concordant with reason and science – nature is seen as operating orderly on comprehensible, rational, consistent laws, in line with the conviction that God is Creator.

Contents​

Chapter 1
Logical allacies and false dichotomies in the science and faith debate: impact on worldview and public opinion
Frederik van Niekerk
Chapter 2
Qualified agreement: How scientific discoveries support theistic belief
Stephen C. Meyer

Chapter 3
Cosmological fine-tuning
Hugh Ross

Chapter 4
Local fine-tuning and habitable zones
Guillermo Gonzalez

Chapter 5
Materialistic and theistic perspectives on the origin of life
Fazale R. Rana

Chapter 6
Are present proposals on chemical evolutionary mechanisms accurately pointing toward first life?
James M. Tour

Chapter 7
Engineering principles better explain biological systems than evolutionary theory
Brian Miller
Chapter 8
The evidence of foresight in nature
Marcos Eberlin

Chapter 9
Evolutionary models of palaeoanthropology, genetics, and psychology fail to account for human origins: a review
Casey Luskin

Chapter 10
Rumours of war and evidence for peace between science and Christianity

The book looks like a good read.

I just finished a book by Hugh Ross entitled "Designed to the Core".

His book contains sixteen chapters with an appendix called - "Solar Elemental Abundance - Rocky Planet Configuration Link"

The book begins with large-scale cosmic structures including our own Laniakea Supercluster of galaxies and continues to progress to our milky way galaxy, and through our solar system including its planetary migration and the moon acting as an orbital stabilizer. He then continues with a detailed discussion about Earth's interior beginning with its core.

Solid references throughout

A sample from chapter 7, "The Milky Way Galaxy Interior", page 101:

"Astronomers would say our galaxy has aged well, thanks in part to its mass and to the small fraction of its mass attributable to stars. For any star within a galaxy to contain enough carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorous, iron, thorium, and uranium to make the existence of advanced life possible within its planetary system, at least two generations of stars must form, burn, and explode to enrich the gas clouds that form the next generation of stars.

Galaxies more massive than the MWG form stars early and aggressively, quickly exhausting their gas supply. Consequently, star formation ends before an adequate supply of the life-essential elements can be built up. Advanced life also needs elements as heavy as uranium and thorium. Only if uranium and thorium are extraordinarily abundant on a planet can both plate tectonics and a protective magnetosphere be sustained for a long time.

Galaxies less massive than the MWG form their stars so late and at such a slow rate that not enough of the heavier elements, such as iron, copper, zinc, thorium, and uranium, are manufactured. Only in a galaxy like the MWG does star formation begin soon enough and last long enough to produce all the elements essential for advanced life. "

________:coffee:

But without evidence, with just blind faith, there's no way to tell what is false or what is a higher power. And, see below.

You have evidence that your trust in a friend or a spouse is founded. And, if you believe in someone with blind faith, with no evidence that your trust is founded, you can get differ very badly.

It's not an issue of having trust, it's an issue of that trust being blind, that is, having no evidence for it.
The scriptures state that a person is saved by grace (unmerited gift) through faith and that even that faith is a gift from God (Ephesian 2:8). In order to receive a gift a person must be willing to accept it instead of rejecting it. That is essentially what atheists are doing which is rejecting God's free gift that God offers freely to all of mankind which includes forgiveness from past sins and a continual cleansing (1 John 1:7).

I googled the information but I do notice that you did not provide an alternative data set. Just ranting about the information even though you use such terms as ID proponents are vanishingly small.
I use Project Steve to substantiate my claim that over 99% of biologists accept evolution. There are more people called Steve (and derivatives) who are biologists and who accept evolution, and signed the list, than there are persons of any name who are scientists in the loosest sense (dentists, engineers, etc.) who have signed the DI's dissent from Darwinism. About 1% of the population is c called Steve.

So again, where you you get your figures from? Right now it looks like you plucked them out of your backside.

They would not even have come up with alternative evolutionary routes if Behe hadn't introduced IC's. The new routes were in response to Behe and his IC concept. Your Darwinist group would have remained content with a straight and linear non-challenged RMNS rendition of evolution. So in this case, Behe was supposedly responsible for a whole new area of evolutionary knowledge that had been vacant for over a hundred years. And all this while giving Behe absolutely no credit for his contribution.
Sure, Behe got it wrong. We credit the guys that get it right.

Well, Behe still maintains that IC is a challenge to evolution and your fabricated computer simulations don't overwrite what we observe in the real IC world.
Behe is still flogging his dead horse.

We see IC in the sense that there are systems that fail if a component is removed. But we know that that is not an obstacle to evolution as there is good evidence of indirect routes.

I don't have an IC definition, I just use whatever Behe says he uses.
And he chops and changes as is convenient.

Definition 1: A system is IC if it fails if a component is removed.

Definition 2: A system is IC if there is no evolutionary route, direct or not, to it.

We see systems that fail if a component is removed, and they are IC, by definition 1. Then we quietly swap to definition 2. If the system is IC then it cannot have evolved.

All I have is some paraphrase that an IC only works when all the pieces are in place.
Which says nothing at all about indirect evolutionary routes.

They have rejected concepts put forth by materialists that life initially sprang from dead matter without intelligent design.
Talk me through how the explanatory filter was used to do that. In the last ten years, of course.

Atheistic prevalence in the field would never willingly allow IDists to move in to their world no matter how much science they did (and they are doing a lot). You have example after example of scientists as well as lay persons getting kicked out of their positions for taking a stand on ID. That does not sound like ID will ever get a fair shake to me.
Give me ten examples of scientists who got kicked out of their positions for taking a stand on ID.

Then we can see if that was because they were teaching it when they were paid to teach mainstream science, or because they were doing ID research. I am not aware of anyone sacked for the latter, and only a tiny number of the former.

Back