This Generation

Yodas_Prodigy

It has been 75 years since the so-called resurrection of Israel in 1948. It has been said that "This Generation shall not pass away until all these things take place."

Whether 1917 or 1948, based upon a generation being 40 years or even 70 years long, the present nation of Israel is not a fulfillment of prophecy... If you want to stretch it out to 100 years, 1917 to 2017 no longer works. 1948 will fade away in 25 years.

So, what will it take for those who think Israel becoming a nation fulfills prophecy to change your minds?

Matthew 24:33-35 says, "So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away." It is the generation that sees the beginning of the fulfillment of prophecy that will not pass away. It is possible that we are living in that generation today.

Matthew 24:33-35 says, "So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away." It is the generation that sees the beginning of the fulfillment of prophecy that will not pass away. It is possible that we are living in that generation today.

Every time Jesus used "this generation", it was always the generation whom he was speaking to. That is why he said, "this generation" instead of "that generation"... If it was a future generation, he would have said, "that generation"...

BTW, Dispensationalism is a moving target. Once their interpretation fails, they modify it... For decades 1917 and 1948 were key dates for the starting of the clock of Christ's return... Now it is some nebulas future date...

Matthew 24 was fulfilled in 70 AD...

Let me help you out. Christ will return when his enemies are made his footstool.

BTW, Dispensationalism is a moving target. Once their interpretation fails, they modify it... For decades 1917 and 1948 were key dates for the starting of the clock of Christ's return... Now it is some nebulas future date...

Perhaps it is 1967, the year the Israelis capture the old city of Jerusalem and the city was unified.

Matthew 24 was fulfilled in 70 AD...

“Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."
Matt. 24:29-31

I've never seen any record of these events taking place in AD70.

Let me help you out. Christ will return when his enemies are made his footstool.

His enemies will be made his footstool after he returns. Here is the description of his return found in Revelation 19:11-21.

Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.

Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly directly overhead, “Come, gather for the great supper of God, to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great.” And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who was sitting on the horse and against his army. And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. And the rest were slain by the sword that came from the mouth of him who was sitting on the horse, and all the birds were gorged with their flesh.

Perhaps it is 1967, the year the Israelis capture the old city of Jerusalem and the city was unified.

“Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."

His enemies will be made his footstool after he returns. Here is the description of his return found in Revelation 19:11-21.

Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.

Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly directly overhead, “Come, gather for the great supper of God, to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great.” And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who was sitting on the horse and against his army. And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. And the rest were slain by the sword that came from the mouth of him who was sitting on the horse, and all the birds were gorged with their flesh.
The “tribulation of those days” started when the Teacher of Righteousness (ToR) was cutoff and Pompeo invaded Jerusalem around 63 BC. Not soon after Mark Antony installed a puppet king. Therefore, the tribulation began in the first century BC when nation Israel lost its sovereignty and more importantly when the Essenes, “the Way”, were driven out of Israel. The tribulation would last throughout the “Last Days”, aka, three unique moral leaders on earth, per the Dead Sea Scrolls. Two of which were the Teacher of Righteousness and Paul, presumably the “two anointed ones”.

One of the signs that the Last Days were over would be the return of nation Israel and the restoration of the Gospel after darkness had ruled the earth, aka, the great apostasy. Then the son of man returns in the clouds, ie., the moral intelligence or truth clothed in flesh. At which time all the pious, virtuous souls that ever lived will be saved. It is a promise of delivery after much trial and suffering at the hands of Gentiles, to include, Pharisees, but it is not a political delivery but a moral one for pious, virtuous souls. A delivery from depravity, suffering, and sin only found in the material world or flesh! That is what it meant to the Essenes. They believed that this material world was coming to an end but only after God’s anointed ones had presented themselves to the world.

It is understood esoterically because that was how it was written based on the Essene’s interpretation of Hebrew scripture. Moreover, it is all natural.
Nation Israel—natural.
Dead sea scrolls discovered—natural.
Moral intelligence—natural.
Darkness, aka, catholicism and the “Dark Ages”—natural.
Wars, tribulation—natural,
“last days”, aka, unique sages—natural,
clouds, aka, flesh—natural,
son of Man, moral leader hidden by flesh (clouds)—natural.
It is all natural written esoterically because they were being hunted, in large part due to Roman oppression and Pharisee corroborators.

IMO, when Jews receive the Teacher of Righteousness as one of three anointed moral leaders during their tribulation and times of darkness then PRAY! and hug those you love. For their salvation will raise the dead. It will mean the end of this material world in order to make way for the perfect one that follows as God promised for the saints.

For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead? (Romans 11:15)​
Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. (2 Peter 3:11)​

Last edited:
Look here, am I not saying the same thing as the author of the apocalypse? we arguably see the same thing, but he writes it poetically, figuratively, esoterically, whereas I write it plainly. It is the same-same.

Docphin: “It is a promise of delivery after much trial and suffering at the hands of Gentiles, to include, Pharisees, but it is not a political delivery but a moral one for pious, virtuous souls. A delivery from depravity, suffering, and sin only found in the material world or flesh!”

Revelation: “an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly directly overhead, “Come, gather for the great supper of God, to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great.”

It has been 75 years since the so-called resurrection of Israel in 1948. It has been said that "This Generation shall not pass away until all these things take place."

Whether 1917 or 1948, based upon a generation being 40 years or even 70 years long, the present nation of Israel is not a fulfillment of prophecy... If you want to stretch it out to 100 years, 1917 to 2017 no longer works. 1948 will fade away in 25 years.

So, what will it take for those who think Israel becoming a nation fulfills prophecy to change your minds?
I've seen all kinds of systems and calculations that show a generation to be a specific time period. Which is it? Who knows.

I've also seen "generation" (1074. genea) described as a race, family, generation...

When it comes to end times or the tribulation...there will be a "generation" of people who will be around and experience it. Of all the generations in history one of the generations (the last) will see.

As above some use math to determine if we are in the "last times"...the "end of the age". Some apply the "thousand years are for each day of creation" theory ....while some use the fig tree...Israel...bloomed in 1948 theory.

One trick to understanding “this generation” is not in what they “see” with their eyes, but in what they “perceive with inward spiritual perception, or “understand”. The point being that if everyone is expecting to “see” supernatural events as literally described in scripture, then they will miss the “signs” and be extremely disappointed, maybe even despair and lose hope. But those who “perceive” or ”discern” the true meaning then they will be amazed, as in, Behold!

So also, when you see PERCEIVE (1), understand, spiritually discern, all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.​
1) horáō – properly, see, often with metaphorical meaning: "to see with the mind" (i.e. spiritually see), i.e. perceive (with inward spiritual perception).

The author even emphasizes the point when he precedes the explanation with, “let the reader understand”. (matthew 24:15). Stomp foot twice! BIG esoteric point being made here, pay attention!

The reason you have not seen this in 70 AD is due to your chosen hermeneutic. You are using a hyper literalized hermeneutic.

This passage is apocalyptic language that has loads of symbolism taken from the Old Testament.

Go to the OT and look at the sun, the moon and the stars and see how they are used. Typically, they are leaders of countries or people groups. Clouds are often used to imply judgment of God.

That is not what the scripture says... Note the word until

42 For David himself says in the book of Psalms,

The Lord said to my lord,
Sit at my right hand,
43 until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.”’

Christ will not return until the Father makes His enemies a footstool.

I've seen all kinds of systems and calculations that show a generation to be a specific time period. Which is it? Who knows.

I've also seen "generation" (1074. genea) described as a race, family, generation...

When it comes to end times or the tribulation...there will be a "generation" of people who will be around and experience it. Of all the generations in history one of the generations (the last) will see.

As above some use math to determine if we are in the "last times"...the "end of the age". Some apply the "thousand years are for each day of creation" theory ....while some use the fig tree...Israel...bloomed in 1948 theory.

Not trying to be haughty, this is not pick-the-definition that best fits "my presupposition."

Every time "generation" was used by Jesus, and he used it over 20 times, it was describing the "generation" of his day.

To make one exception for a two-hundred-year-old eschatological system is a poor hermeneutic.

Not trying to be haughty, this is not pick-the-definition that best fits "my presupposition."

Every time "generation" was used by Jesus, and he used it over 20 times, it was describing the "generation" of his day.

To make one exception for a two-hundred-year-old eschatological system is a poor hermeneutic.
Not true....Jesus speaks of future generations...In Matt 24 Jesus mentions "this" generation. Jesus speaks of a future generation,....what is "this" generation Jesus is speaking of?

32Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its branches become tender and sprout leaves, you know that summer is near. 33So also, when you see all these things, you will know that He is near, right at the door. 34Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have happened. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away.

As time rolls on we see Israel becoming a nation in 1948...Israel the fig tree has sprouted leaves. This generation is seeing "these things happening"

You make an interesting point. What does the word “generation” mean to the Essene? I will have to review the Dead Sea Scrolls before concluding anything, but from this new testament passage alone, a “generation” may be one of two generations, either the race of humans counted among the sons of light, or the race of humans counted among the sons of darkness. The former generation born of God, the latter generation born of the devil. The whole duality encapsulated into two generations, which makes the term “generation” ambiguous because it may not mean what the natural man thinks it should mean. It is as if the sons of light generated by the Most High are different from those generated by the devil, aka, the “sons of this [material] world.”

For the sons of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light.​
Also, the canonical Jesus seems to lump future generations with past generations as partaking of the promises. For example when he says things like,

The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here.​
Note how the righteous, past, present, and future “rise up” as one generation to condemn the wicked generation, past, present, and future. Does it suggest only two generations, two races, in the history of the world? Light versus dark. Good “angels” versus bad “demons”. Hmm….

Last edited:
Not true....Jesus speaks of future generations...In Matt 24 Jesus mentions "this" generation. Jesus speaks of a future generation,....what is "this" generation Jesus is speaking of?

32Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its branches become tender and sprout leaves, you know that summer is near. 33So also, when you see all these things, you will know that He is near, right at the door. 34Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have happened. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away.

As time rolls on we see Israel becoming a nation in 1948...Israel the fig tree has sprouted leaves. This generation is seeing "these things happening"
This does already apply to first century Israel.

@Yodas_Prodigy

Just a cursory review I found this, (from “Charter of a Jewish Sectarian Association”, 1QS, 4Q255-264a, 5Q11)

”The character and fate of all humankind reside with these [two] spirits. All the hosts of humanity, GENERATION BY GENERATION, are heirs to these [two] spiritual divisions...the outworking of every deed inheres in these [two] divisions according to each person’s spiritual heritage…​

Earlier he writes,

He [the Most High] created humankind to rule over the world, appointing for them TWO spirits in which to walk until the time ordained for his visitation. These are the spirits of truth and falsehood…The authority of the Prince of Light extends to the governance of ALL righteous people; …correspondingly, the authority of the Angel of Darkness embraces the governance of ALL wicked people,…”​
In summary, all generations are divided into two camps, the sons of light are generated by the Prince of Light, whereas, the wicked are
generated by the Angel of Darkness. Simply, the word “generation” may have as much to do with its divine source from which it was derived than merely a chronologic sequence in time.

@Yodas_Prodigy

Just a cursory review I found this, (from “Charter of a Jewish Sectarian Association”, 1QS, 4Q255-264a, 5Q11)

”The character and fate of all humankind reside with these [two] spirits. All the hosts of humanity, GENERATION BY GENERATION, are heirs to these [two] spiritual divisions...the outworking of every deed inheres in these [two] divisions according to each person’s spiritual heritage…​

Earlier he writes,

He [the Most High] created humankind to rule over the world, appointing for them TWO spirits in which to walk until the time ordained for his visitation. These are the spirits of truth and falsehood…The authority of the Prince of Light extends to the governance of ALL righteous people; …correspondingly, the authority of the Angel of Darkness embraces the governance of ALL wicked people,…”​
In summary, all generations are divided into two camps, the sons of light are generated by the Prince of Light, whereas, the wicked are
generated by the Angel of Darkness. Simply, the word “generation” may have as much to do with its divine source from which it was derived than merely a chronologic sequence in time.
This is very nice. I do not believe it applies to the way Jesus uses 'generation' in the Gospels. See the quotes below...

1. Matthew 11:16
    “To what should I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces who call out to one another,

2. Matthew 12:39
    But he answered them, “An evil and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

3. Matthew 12:41
    The people of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because they repented when Jonah preached to them—and now, something greater than Jonah is here!

4. Matthew 12:42
    The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon—and now, something greater than Solomon is here!

5. Matthew 12:45
    Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they go in and live there, so the last state of that person is worse than the first. It will be that way for this evil generation as well!”

6. Matthew 16:4
    A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.” Then he left them and went away.

7. Matthew 17:17
    Jesus answered, “You unbelieving and perverse generation! How much longer must I be with you? How much longer must I endure you? Bring him here to me.”

8. Matthew 23:36
    I tell you the truth, this generation will be held responsible for all these things!

9. Matthew 24:34
    I tell you the truth, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

10. Mark 8:12
    Sighing deeply in his spirit he said, “Why does this generation look for a sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to this generation.”

11. Mark 8:38
    For if anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”

12. Mark 9:19
    He answered them, “You unbelieving generation! How much longer must I be with you? How much longer must I endure you? Bring him to me.”

13. Mark 13:30
    I tell you the truth, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

14. Luke 1:48
    because he has looked upon the humble state of his servant. For from now on all generations will call me blessed,

15. Luke 7:31
    “To what then should I compare the people of this generation, and what are they like?
    I
  16. Luke 9:41
    Jesus answered, “You unbelieving and perverse generation! How much longer must I be with you and endure you? Bring your son here.”

17. Luke 11:29
    As the crowds were increasing, Jesus began to say, “This generation is a wicked generation; it looks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.

18. Luke 11:30
    For just as Jonah became a sign to the people of Nineveh, so the Son of Man will be a sign to this generation.

19. Luke 11:31
    The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with the people of this generation and condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon—and now, something greater than Solomon is here!
    I
  20. Luke 11:32
    The people of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because they repented when Jonah preached to them—and now, something greater than Jonah is here!

21. Luke 11:50
    so that this generation may be held accountable for the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the beginning of the world,
  1. Luke 11:51
    from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the sanctuary. Yes, I tell you, it will be charged against this generation.
  2. Luke 17:25
    But first he must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.

3. Luke 21:32
https://www.biblegateway.com/quicks...rch=generation&startnumber=26&begin=47&end=73

How not? You have to read into the text to assign what you want it to say...

This is very nice. I do not believe it applies to the way Jesus uses 'generation' in the Gospels. See the quotes below...

1. Matthew 11:16
    “To what should I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces who call out to one another,

2. Matthew 12:39
    But he answered them, “An evil and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

3. Matthew 12:41

4. Matthew 12:42
    The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon—and now, something greater than Solomon is here!

5. Matthew 12:45
    Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they go in and live there, so the last state of that person is worse than the first. It will be that way for this evil generation as well!”

6. Matthew 16:4
    A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.” Then he left them and went away.

7. Matthew 17:17
    Jesus answered, “You unbelieving and perverse generation! How much longer must I be with you? How much longer must I endure you? Bring him here to me.”

8. Matthew 23:36
    I tell you the truth, this generation will be held responsible for all these things!

9. Matthew 24:34

10. Mark 8:12
    Sighing deeply in his spirit he said, “Why does this generation look for a sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to this generation.”

11. Mark 8:38
    For if anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”

12. Mark 9:19
    He answered them, “You unbelieving generation! How much longer must I be with you? How much longer must I endure you? Bring him to me.”

13. Mark 13:30

14. Luke 1:48
    because he has looked upon the humble state of his servant. For from now on all generations will call me blessed,

15. Luke 7:31
    “To what then should I compare the people of this generation, and what are they like?
    I
  16. Luke 9:41
    Jesus answered, “You unbelieving and perverse generation! How much longer must I be with you and endure you? Bring your son here.”

17. Luke 11:29
    As the crowds were increasing, Jesus began to say, “This generation is a wicked generation; it looks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.

18. Luke 11:30
    For just as Jonah became a sign to the people of Nineveh, so the Son of Man will be a sign to this generation.

19. Luke 11:31
    The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with the people of this generation and condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon—and now, something greater than Solomon is here!
    I
  20. Luke 11:32

21. Luke 11:50
    so that this generation may be held accountable for the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the beginning of the world,
  22. Luke 11:51
    from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the sanctuary. Yes, I tell you, it will be charged against this generation.
  23. Luke 17:25
    But first he must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.

24. Luke 21:32
https://www.biblegateway.com/quicks...rch=generation&startnumber=26&begin=47&end=73
Per biblehub it can mean a “race of men”. Four examples are from the canonical Gospels. Crowcross touches on it in post #7.

IOW, the narrative may direct his words to a “perverse” and “unbelieving” crowd in the story but his message is timeless, and applicable to all “perverse” and “unbelieving” crowds. To wit, a race or generation of “perverse” and “unbelieving” humans at any time.

”b. metaphorically, a race of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character; and especially in a bad sense a perverse race: Matthew 17:17; Mark 9:19; Luke 9:41; Luke 16:8; (Acts 2:40).​

I mentioned earlier that there are two races or generations or families of humans. Sometimes he speaks to one and sometimes he speaks to the other. Just like the example I gave earlier which contrasts two generations, those “sons of the world” versus the “sons of light”. Both races or generations have existed side by side from the beginning of history.

For the sons of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light. (Luke 16:8)​
Therefore, when the narrative is written in such a way that its words may be applied generally then the term “this generation” becomes ambiguous, for it may apply generally to either of two races of humans on earth, those that hear him, or those who reject him.

Personally, I think it is a minor point, not worth arguing over, but interesting none the less. Who is the narrative directed to? Merely to an audience two thousand years ago or to all humans at all times, divided into two races or families, ie., the wicked and the righteous?

We should not take a wooden meaning from the canonical Gospels as if they only apply to a specific group of people who lived two thousand years ago. There was a purpose to the stories for all to benefit from. It is up to us to internalize his words.

Last edited:
How not? You have to read into the text to assign what you want it to say...

I am not speaking for Crowcross but in this case ”this generation” could easily be a future generation since it was not fulfilled in his time. Sure, the narrative has him speaking to the people in front of him, but his words are applicable to all the sons of light, to include future believers. That was the implied purpose of the Gospels being written in the first place, ie., for all believers to benefit from his words.

If it had been fulfilled in his time or soon after (ie., if the son of man returned two thousand years ago) then his words still would have made sense. Apparently, nobody knew when it would be fulfilled, not even the Son, so it is ambiguous. We just happen to know it was not fulfilled in his time. Therefore, it applies to a future generation with respect to the time when it was written. It is logical.

Last edited:
Back