James 2:24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. No go back and read 2a. great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement or work.

That would qualify all Christian denominations as a cult:

Definition of cult--Merriam Webster

2a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work
b: the object of such devotion
3: a system of religious beliefs and ritual
4: formal religious veneration : WORSHIP

Jesus Christ is the object of "great devotion"?

Beloved--accusing someone of being a member of a cult is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, if the definition above is true.

No, it's not. Nevertheless,

The book of Nephi is shameful. No Christian accepts it.

I have asked the critics here, and even started a whole new thread entitled "The Book of Mormon" ---for the critics to explain for us what they find in the Book of Mormon which isn't Christian doctrine--as far as salvational doctrines go.

Silence. Not one, single example.

It seems strange to me that the critics here claim such things as the Book of Mormon isn't Christian--and cannot list one single, solidary thing they find in the Book of Mormon, which isn't Christian doctrine. If what the critics claim here is true--then they should be able to list pages of things.

Silence. Blank pages.

Curious--very curious.

I have asked the critics here, and even started a whole new thread entitled "The Book of Mormon" ---for the critics to explain for us what they find in the Book of Mormon which isn't Christian doctrine--as far as salvational doctrines go.

Silence. Not one, single example.

We have MORE than enough proofs that Mormonism is false without having to address that particular argument.

How about you NOT tell us how to do our jobs, okay?

How about YOU address all the "only one god exists" passages?
How about YOU address all the "not by works" passages?
How about YOU address all the "marriage ends at death" passages?
How about YOU address all the "we are children of God through ADOPTION" passages?
How about YOU address all the "elders and deacons are to be older, wise, married, with children, and not immature teenagers" passages?

So--is this one of those proofs?

James 2:24---King James Version
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Yes, since the correct exegesis (IN CONTEXT) is explained in the first post in this thread (which is why I CREATED this thread in the first place).

And since "Scripture interprets scripture", your misinterpretation is proven false by Eph. 2:8-9, 2 Tim. 1:9, Tit. 3:5, Rom. 4:1-6, 9:11-13, 11:5-6, etc. etc. which is why you keep RUNNING AWAY from them.

Quote snipped
I think that you misunderstand. We aren't going to read books written by perverts (JS) and lunatics (JS). We have already voiced our criticism strenuously. I have already read them. I'm surrounded by Mormons. They don't knock on my door anymore. They don't like what my husband and I tell them. I'm guessing we are placed on their reprobate list. Why should I believe teenage boys who have been brainwashed all of their lives? We invite them in, and we talk, encouraging them to see the scriptures rightly.

Been there, done that for 10 + years.

It is YOU Mormons who dodge, deny and dismiss the obvious. Therefore, it is an exercise in futility for us to make an attempt of having a logical, civil discussion on what has gone on for so many years without y'all providing real, credible answers in the same blankety-blank nonsense you gave to us previously.

To a poster, each of you are only interested in playing the troll, and I am not willing to being the patsy in any sort of trollish Mormon apologetics.

It is YOU Mormons who dodge, deny and dismiss the obvious. Therefore, it is an exercise in futility for us to make an attempt of having a logical, civil discussion on what has gone on for so many years without y'all providing real, credible answers in the same blankety-blank nonsense you gave to us previously.

To a poster, each of you are only interested in playing the troll, and I am not willing to being the patsy in any sort of trollish Mormon apologetics.
My neighbor is a Mormon in name only and she shared with me, the map of our subdivision. Lot's of LDS here. Those who are not are indicated as 'uncooperative'. There is also a section where houses are labeled as 'not active.'

Reminds me of the tactics of cults and of course, they are a cult.

dberrie2020 said: I have asked the critics here, and even started a whole new thread entitled "The Book of Mormon" ---for the critics to explain for us what they find in the Book of Mormon which isn't Christian doctrine--as far as salvational doctrines go.

That seems to be the claim--one can go back as far as they wish--but still--not one single critic has posted what they find in the Book of Mormon--which isn't Christian doctrine.

If you post it--you will be the first, regardless of what the claims are.

Yes, since the correct exegesis (IN CONTEXT) is explained in the first post in this thread (which is why I CREATED this thread in the first place).

The explanation of James 2 is not needed--it's testimony of faith without works is dead--and not by faith alone--is simple enough for anyone to understand without further emphasis--it's not rocket science, IMO:

James 2:18-26---King James Version
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Anyone wanting to sing in the Biblical choir--that's the music.

dberrie2020 said: I have asked the critics here, and even started a whole new thread entitled "The Book of Mormon" ---for the critics to explain for us what they find in the Book of Mormon which isn't Christian doctrine--as far as salvational doctrines go.

That seems to be the claim--one can go back as far as they wish--but still--not one single critic has posted what they find in the Book of Mormon--which isn't Christian doctrine.

If you post it--you will be the first, regardless of what the claims are.

Been there, done that for 10+ years. It is you LDS posters who are unable to post a cogent rebuttal, and we are also noting that you are attempting to shift the burden of proof from what FACTS we presented to you and to others on the board in a silly attempt to have us use the Bible to support your LDS position. Ain't gonna work, dberrie.

Been there, done that for 10+ years. It is you LDS posters who are unable to post a cogent rebuttal, and we are also noting that you are attempting to shift the burden of proof from what FACTS we presented to you and to others on the board in a silly attempt to have us use the Bible to support your LDS position. Ain't gonna work, dberrie.

IMO--what isn't gonna work is empty replies without the first interaction with the posted scriptures:

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Care to engage that?

Care to engage that?

Already did:

What is your obsession with repeating the same refuted arguments ten million times?

Care to engage that?

Been there too many times
Done that too many times.
Refuted you too many times by MANY different Christian posters

Therefore, for any of us Christians to respond to your too-often repeated posts is an exercise in futility.

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
“Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

Do not be surprised at those who no longer reply to your troll-like posts

Already did:

What is your obsession with repeating the same refuted arguments ten million times?

So--let's take an extract from that post:

Theo said---"Remembering that James was just writing about keeping the law, he asks the (rhetorical) question of what if someone CLAIMS to have faith, but doesn't have works? Notice that this is not saying the man actually HAS faith, but only that he CLAIMS to have faith. This is not an instance of "having faith but not works", since it hasn't been demonstrated that he actually DOES have true faith. But James will address that shortly. Then he asks, "can THAT faith (the merely claimed faith, which has no works) save him?" And of course, the answer is "no". If someone only CLAIMS to have faith, but doesn't ACTUALLY have faith, he isn't saved, because he doesn't have faith."

The critics here claiming one is saved through a faith without works--and you making the claim there one can't be saved by a faith which has no works? Wow! Does anyone hear a loud explosion?

How does that refute James' testimony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back