The official interpreter of scripture

you seemed to be very confused about authority:

For instance:
you seem to think an official interpretation means infallible:
you seem to think that once an official interpretation is rendered: all debate ends.

Your church has officially interpreted hundreds of Scripture (see the CCC) but only 6 infallibly
(do you understand the difference?)
You seem to limit interpretation to individual verses.

The Pope has authority to settle issues concerning the Christian faith. E.g. the bread and wine are the body and blood of Christ.

From Scripture and seeing if our beliefs line up with the truth contained in Scripture.

I'm deconstructing/reconstructing some of my beliefs in light of the Triune nature of God and seeing how those doctrine line up with the character and nature of God.
Very good
It doesn't matter what church, denomination, protestant or catholic. The question we should be asking ourselves is whether or not our beliefs are found in scripture or are we basing those beliefs on many scriptures that confirm a truth. Is this passage that is somewhat vague and does it have many other passages that support our interpretation of that "vague" passage.
When the authors of the New Testament wrote the gospels and the epistles were they deliberately "vague"? They weren't vague in that day. Alternatively, has the meaning intended become vague because we no longer relate to the societies of the first century Christian-Jew?
One example for instance would be Matthew 16:18- And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Catholics don't find this verse "vague". The early Church didn't find it vague. It was the Apostle Peter that Christ "built" His Church. This has been the understanding in Catholicism since Christ uttered the words. Notice too, only one body of truth is mentioned, not 10's of thousands. She is One Church, a Holy Church, her truths are universally true as taught by the Apostles. The Apostles wrote for the authority of the Catholic Church to teach one divine Word of God. [Matthew 27:18-20]
Are there other scriptures that validate the Catholic interpretation of this passage or is this an isolated text to support a foundational doctrine of the church ( RCC ).
The whole of the New Testament is a communal expression of the love of Truth and God kept through the ages. What we love we don't lock away in a book.
Its these kinds of questions one should be asking themselves to see if the bible actually teaches what the "church" has been telling them for centuries.

hope this helps !!!
The question that should be asked is what did the biblical authors intend for us to hear.

JoeT

The Holy Spirit tells me that the Pope has been given authority by Jesus. He has authority to settle issues concerning the Christian faith.
That was not the Holy Spirit that told you about the pope. Have you ever heard of the great western schism ? Your cult had 3 popes at the same time and all 3 had their college of cardinals. You’re apostolic succession is a lie and the Holy Spirit does NOT teach lies but Satan does.

That was not the Holy Spirit that told you about the pope. Have you ever heard of the great western schism ? Your cult had 3 popes at the same time and all 3 had their college of cardinals. You’re apostolic succession is a lie and the Holy Spirit does NOT teach lies but Satan does.
How do you know what the Holy Spirit tells someone?

Back