What is Faith?

Brain states are cause and effect relationships. One physical state does not logically imply another or prescribe that the other ought to occur logically. It either causes or fails to cause that second state. Physical states simply are, they are not things that ought to be.
Your position here would mean that no calculator or computer could ever add two numbers together. Substitute "mathematically" for "logically" in what you wrote above, and you'll see that calculators and computers contradict that position. The question of how the computer, calculator, or brain was created, and who, if anyone, did the creating, is a separate issue.

Reasoning requires thinking about what sorts of things do and do not make sense. This thinking may correspond, much of the time, with the "laws of logic," but it doesn't "require" that these laws have some kind of avatar in our heads which is part of the chain of events causing the correct conclusion to come out. (That's what "requires" seems to mean generally, as in "the car's engine requires a working carburetor"; I understand that as meaning "the carburetor's action is part of the chain of events causing the engine to work.")

The thesis of philosophical naturalism is that physical events in the brain cause mental events; that with larger and more complex brains, a further range of mental events is possible, including not just feeling pleasure and pain but considering what's true and what's false; and that with natural selection, the conclusions about what's true and what's false become more and more reliable. Obviously, you can dispute any of these premises; but you have not really made an argument yet for why, taken together, they are ultimately self-contradictory.
No, if naturalism is true, then there is no such thing as conclusions or true or false, brain activity is just chemical reactions and chemical reactions just ARE. There is no such thing as true and false chemical reactions or products of chemical reactions.

No, if naturalism is true, then there is no such thing as conclusions or true or false, brain activity is just chemical reactions and chemical reactions just ARE. There is no such thing as true and false chemical reactions or products of chemical reactions.
There are no such things as hot and cold molecules, or solid and liquid molecules, but molecules in combination can produce states that are hot or cold or solid or liquid. There are no such things as true or false chemical reactions, but (if naturalism is true) chemical reactions can produce states that are drawn towards true conclusions and away from false conclusions. You are not even attempting to explain why this can't be. Saying "the cause is one thing, and the result is a different thing" simply does not demonstrate that the process is impossible.

And again, if any account which posits one kind of thing causing a different kind of thing is inherently self-contradictory, then what is the non-naturalistic account for how people reach true or false conclusions?

Last edited:
You're making an empirical conclusion (brain states can't instantiate logic) based on a categorization (brain states are in a different category of thing than logic). Why is it, then, that just because two things are different - even very different - that means that one can't be instantiated in the other?

I might well end up agreeing with you, but all the work leading up to your conclusion needs to be shown, and we're not quite there yet.
The laws of physics produce physical things, the laws of logic can produce non-physical results like conclusions.

The laws of physics produce physical things, the laws of logic can produce non-physical results like conclusions.
You stipulated earlier that laws of logic do not have any causal powers. (Post #311, "laws of logic are not cause and effect relations like the laws of physics.") How then can they "produce" any results, whether physical or non-physical?

It is the arrangement (broadly) of the physical items that produce logical conclusions, just like it is the arrangement (in terms of number and location with a volume of space) of atoms that produce heat when no single atom can be hot. You're committing the fallacy of composition, in which properties that emerge at a higher level (heat, logic) are not present at a lower level of analysis (atoms, atoms).

So again, why should anyone take this point seriously? You can't escape the possibility then that everything you've thought and written is just chemical reactions, and not true conclusions.

In addition, it destroys free will
I don't think we have free will.
I think it only seems as though we do.
Well then you just refuted everything you have ever posted. If you dont think people have free will, then why do you post on this site trying to convince Christians that they are wrong? It makes no sense.
El Cid said:
but common sense tells us that we do have free will
And, of course, common sense is the most accurate arbiter of truth...
I didnt say that it is the most accurate, but in many cases it is correct.
?

If you didn't have free will, how could you ever know it?
Actually there is evidence that our minds are not totally tied to the physical, thereby allowing for free will.

Well then you just refuted everything you have ever posted. If you dont think people have free will, then why do you post on this site trying to convince Christians that they are wrong? It makes no sense.
Because I had no choice?.
I didnt say that it is the most accurate, but in many cases it is correct.
Prove that it is correct when it tells us that we have free will, because common sense is not evidence.
It is backed and informed by evidence.
Actually there is evidence that our minds are not totally tied to the physical, thereby allowing for free will.
How does our minds not being tied to the physical, entail that we have free will?
How do you know that they are not merely obeying whatever laws to which the supernatural adheres?

The only way you could know even tentatively that the supernatural is not possible is to be omniscient.
Of course not; we know - to some degree, not necessarily a full 100%; and tentatively - that lots of things are not possible. The same way we know those things aren't possible is the same way we know the supernatural is not possible.
How do you determine what things are not possible?
El Cid said:
No, Godels Incompleteness Theorem is much stronger than just speculation. It is based on rigorous mathmatics. It is mainly saying that there is something outside nature that is needed to explan nature. It doesnt deal with individual supernatural events. Individual supernatural events cannot be scientifically proven by definition because they are one time events so you cannot run experiments to confirm them.
You are going far beyond Goedel's theorem - it only applied to formal mathematical systems (IIRC).
No, it applies to any system like math and reasoning. Physicist David Wolpert said Godels theorem shows that "the entire physical universe cannot be fully understood by any single inference system that exists within it." IOW, you must go outside it.
El Cid said:
See above.

See below.

Well it strongly points to the supernatural. The law of causality requires that the cause not be part of the effect. So something "outside" of nature is something that transcends nature, ie is supernatural and it caused nature/the universe to come into existence.
Can you cite some commonly accepted part of cosmology, as articulated by a cosmologist, that says the BB singularity means that the supernatural exists? Otherwise, your idea is just a lay person's speculation that is not supported by actual cosmology and cosmologists.
While mainstream cosmology of course, will not acknowledge that. There are cosmologists that do say it points in that direction. Paul Davies, Keith Ward, Arno Penzias, and Hugh Ross to name a few.
El Cid said:
www.thedrive.com

Recent UFO Encounters With Navy Pilots Occurred Constantly Across Multiple Squadrons

We have exclusive details about the incidents off the east coast in 2014 and 2015, including that the objects all looked exactly the same.
www.thedrive.com
www.thedrive.com
Before I dig into that - which I will be happy to do - can you answer the question that I asked, which was, "have you researched any challenges or critiques to the conclusion that the incident in question actually violated the laws of physics?"
No, all the reports I have seen from the experts say either they actually are violating the laws of physics or they are appearing to.
El Cid said:
If something strongly points to something, then that means there is sufficient evidence to accept the claim.

Not sure what you are saying here.
My point is that calling something "supernatural" doesn't do much work, it isn't very useful. What is more useful is whether we have enough evidence to change our current view of the universe and of reality. That's what it all comes down to, whether we label something "supernatural" or not.
Well we can also call it suspensions of the laws of physics. If the laws of physics appear to be violated or suspended, that is evidence that the event may be supernatural. I am not saying it proves it, but it is evidence.

No, it applies to any system like math and reasoning.
Both are abstract.
Not concrete, like physics.
Physicist David Wolpert said Godels theorem shows that "the entire physical universe cannot be fully understood by any single inference system that exists within it."
Interesting... did he prove it?
Because the mere fact that he's a physicist isn't proof.

How do you determine what things are not possible?
You explore if they are possible, and when you continually find that your explorations come up empty, you conclude that they are not possible. Now, it might always be possible to find a black swan, but, it's still rational to make a conclusion based on the evidence you have.

No, it applies to any system like math and reasoning. Physicist David Wolpert said Godels theorem shows that "the entire physical universe cannot be fully understood by any single inference system that exists within it." IOW, you must go outside it.
One physicist saying something doesn't mean much. Is his conclusion generally accepted by physicists? If so, do you have a citation?

While mainstream cosmology of course, will not acknowledge that. There are cosmologists that do say it points in that direction. Paul Davies, Keith Ward, Arno Penzias, and Hugh Ross to name a few.
That is a claim independent and separate from whether the supernatural exists, so can you now support this new claim? That modern cosmology *does not* recognize the supernatural does not mean that it *will* not.

No, all the reports I have seen from the experts say either they actually are violating the laws of physics or they are appearing to.
I think you mean, "Yes, but all the reports . . . ." but in any event, moving on: so if I do a web search about that specific UFO incident I should find *no* expert who challenges the conclusion that something has violating the laws of physics? OK . . . .

Well we can also call it suspensions of the laws of physics. If the laws of physics appear to be violated or suspended, that is evidence that the event may be supernatural. I am not saying it proves it, but it is evidence.
A few issues here: (1) if something "appears" to indicate X, we don't say that it is evidence for X. In order to be evidence for X, it needs to *actually* indicate X; (2) I suppose there are certain laws of physics that, if violated, it would be useful to label that "supernatural," like, if something could be in two places at once, or travel fast than light, etc. I think. (3) I acknowledge your proper hesitancy to move from any evidence at all to accepting a claim. Some evidence may not be sufficient, so any one piece of evidence may not prove something. I agree.

This issue reduces down to whether the evidence is sufficient for the supernatural. You think it is, I think it isn't.
There is pretty strong evidence that points to it.
It was excluded - provisionally - because of all the scientific studies that went looking for the supernatural and never found it, and because of all the supernatural explanations that were once offered and then later been found to have quite mundane natural explanations. And it's not really excluded absolutely, because new evidence could always bring it back in.

See above.
Actually there are scientific studies that have shown strong evidence for the supernatural such as unexplained healings, the studies of UFOs that I mentioned above, and the BB theory. Also, the origin of the blueprint for life, DNA. DNA is a complex linguistic code, we know from empirical observation for hundreds of years that such codes are only created by an intelligence.

Actually there are scientific studies that have shown strong evidence for the supernatural such as unexplained healings,
If you say "this healing was supernatural", you have explained it.

"Unexplained" means "I don't know" - you can't say whether or not it was supernatural.

There is pretty strong evidence that points to it.

Actually there are scientific studies that have shown strong evidence for the supernatural such as unexplained healings, the studies of UFOs that I mentioned above, and the BB theory. Also, the origin of the blueprint for life, DNA. DNA is a complex linguistic code, we know from empirical observation for hundreds of years that such codes are only created by an intelligence.
All of this is your interpretation of the above. For example, you have nothing that shows DNA is a code, you just infer it is. That's not strong evidence.

Actually there are scientific studies that have shown strong evidence for the supernatural such as unexplained healings,
If a healing is unexplained, then you can't say it's supernatural, because we've already said it's unexplained. Saying it's supernatural would be part of the explanation for it, but we've already said it is unexplained. If something is unexplained, we have to just leave it at that and get comfortable saying, "we don't know." Period.

the studies of UFOs that I mentioned above, and the BB theory.
I'm working on the UFO incident you mentioned, stay tuned. AFAIK, BB theory does not include anything supernatural. Do you have source for otherwise?

Also, the origin of the blueprint for life, DNA. DNA is a complex linguistic code, we know from empirical observation for hundreds of years that such codes are only created by an intelligence.
DNA is not a linguistic code - no mind is reading DNA and understanding a message. DNA is merely chemicals doing what chemicals do. It's only a convenience that we use letters to stand for certain chemicals - it allows us to convenience refer to the chemicals.

Back