Marian Prayers--Catholics try to tell us that prayers to Mary are asking her to intercede for us

Bonnie

...with Jesus Christ. It isn't necessary to pray to Mary, we are told, but deemed helpful. But many of the Marian prayers I have read are blatant idolatry, pleading to Mary to do what only God in Christ Jesus does--to help us, save us, make us more devoted to her immaculate heart, and even save us from her Son's justifiable wrath, since she can turn that aside at a mere word from her. I will reprint one prayer I find particularly disturbing--the prayer to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I can't link to the websites where it is found as they are not official Catholic websites.

From Catholic.org:

Behold, O Mother of Perpetual Help, at thy feet a wretched sinner, who has recourse to thee and trusts in thee. O Mother of mercy, have pity on me; I hear all men call thee the refuge and hope of sinners: be therefore my refuge and my hope. Help me for the love of Jesus Christ: hold out thy hand to a fallen wretch, who commends himself to thee and dedicates himself to be thy servant forever. I praise and thank God, who of His great mercy hath given me this confidence in thee, a sure pledge of my eternal salvation. Alas, it is only too true that in the past I have fallen miserably, because I did not come to thee. I know that with thy help I shall conquer; I know that thou wilt help me, if I commend myself to thee; but I am fearful lest in the occasions of sin I shall forget to call upon thee and so I shall be lost. This grace, then, do I ask of thee; for this I implore thee, as much as I can and know how to do; namely, that in the assaults of hell I may ever run to thy protection and may say to thee: Mary, help me; Mother of Perpetual Help, permit me not to lose my God.
Hail Mary

Note the bolded part about a sure pledge of eternal salvation. But who or what does the Bible say is the sure pledge of our salvation:

2 Corinthians 1:21-22
"Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge."

And

Ephesians 1:13-14
"In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory."

And

2 Corinthians 5:5
"Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge."

And

Ephesians 4:30
"Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."

These verses clearly state that the HS is the seal of our faith, not a mere human like Mary. But God the Holy Spirit!

Part 2 in next post.

O Mother of Perpetual Help, grant me ever to be able to call upon thy powerful name, since thy name is the help of the living and the salvation of the dying. Ah, Mary most pure, Mary most sweet, grant that thy name from this day forth may be to me the very breath of life. Dear Lady, delay not to come to my assistance whenever I call upon thee; for in all the temptations that assail me, in all the necessities that befall me, I will never leave off calling upon thee, ever repeating: Mary, Mary. What comfort, what sweetness, what confidence, what tenderness fills my soul at the sound of thy name, at the very thought of thee! I give thanks to our Lord, who for my sake hath given thee a name so sweet, so lovable, so mighty. But I am not content merely to speak thy name; I would utter it for very love of thee; it is my desire that love should ever remind me to name thee, Mother of Perpetual Help.

Hail Mary

Once again, we see the pray-er begging Mary for help, and calling her the "salvation of the dying." What does that make Jesus? Didn't the supposed first Pope, Peter, say something entirely different?

Acts 4:12, NASB--"And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among mankind by which we must be saved.'"

Salvation in NO ONE ELSE. That someone Peter is talking about and in whose name we are saved is Jesus Christ! NOT MARY!

Now as to Mary being the "breath of life"??? I thought Jesus claimed to be "the Way, the Truth, and the LIFE. No one comes to the Father except by Me." And didn't Peter say to Jesus Christ, "Lord, to whom shall we go? YOU have the words of eternal life." Plus, in John 3:16, He said "For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal LIFE."

Jesus is the author of eternal life--NOT Mary.

Part three to follow.

Last edited:
To continue to the last of this prayer:

O Mother of Perpetual Help, thou art the dispenser of every grace that God grants us in our misery; it is for this cause that He hath made thee so powerful, so rich, so kind, that thou mightest assist us in our miseries. Thou art the advocate of the most wretched and abandoned sinners, if they but come unto thee; come once more to my assistance, for I commend myself to thee. In thy hands I place my eternal salvation; to thee I entrust my soul. Enroll me among thy most faithful servants; take me under thy protection and it is enough for me: yes, for if thou protect me, I shall fear nothing; not my sins, for thou wilt obtain for me their pardon and remission; not the evil spirits, for thou art mightier than all the powers of hell; not even Jesus, my Judge, for He is appeased by a single prayer from thee. I fear only that through my own negligence I may forget to recommend myself to thee and so I shall be lost. My dear Lady, obtain for me the forgiveness of my sins, love for Jesus, final perseverance and the grace to have recourse to thee at all times, O Mother of Perpetual Help.

Hail Mary

"Dispenser of every grace..." I though the Holy Spirit did that. Is He so busy He had to delegate that to Mary, a mere human being? What did Paul write here, in Romans?

Romans 8:26-27
"In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God."

And

1 Corinthians 12:7-11
But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills."

And from Galations 5:

"22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

It is the HS Who gives us grace to do as we ought to, to help our faith, to perfect our prayers, and to comfort us--not Mary.

The last bolded stuff is particularly troubling--the pray-er is placing his salvation into Mary's hands??? Yet, again, Peter says in Acts 4 that there is salvation in no one else, except in Jesus Christ! Yet, here the pray-er is placing his salvation into Mary's hands!
Mary can save no one! Jesus alone saves and saves completely!

This prayer is idolatry and trash from start to finish. The fact that it is addressed to an actual person who is Jesus' mother in His flesh does not excuse it. It is blasphemy! But Catholics, while some may admit it is a bit over the top, will attempt to justify it, by saying it is poetry or hyperbole...I call it neither, but full of lies!

You do realize that we don't think Mary can save us apart from Jesus. Her role in the life of a Catholic rests upon Jesus. Without Jesus, there is no salvation whatsoever. You may not like the language or the sentiments of the prayers (which by the way, no one has to pray or believe in), but you take them out of context when you wrest the role of Jesus away from Mary's intercession for us.

You do realize that we don't think Mary can save us apart from Jesus. Her role in the life of a Catholic rests upon Jesus. Without Jesus, there is no salvation whatsoever. You may not like the language or the sentiments of the prayers (which by the way, no one has to pray or believe in), but you take them out of context when you wrest the role of Jesus away from Mary's intercession for us.
Catholics have people in their organization that believe and teach rank heresy. I've seen too many catholics just blow off this person or that saying 'we don't have to believe it..' But the thing is, if it so dishonors Jesus it shouldn't just be blown off but called out. I have Ligouri's book the glories of mary. Here is just one quote out of dozens.

"it may be said, as a necessary consequence, that the salvation of all depends upon preaching Mary, and confidence in her intercession."

Introduction; The Glories of Mary pp19-20

The 'we don't have to believe this' simply doesn't cut it. Why is this tripe even still around in 2022?

...with Jesus Christ. It isn't necessary to pray to Mary, we are told, but deemed helpful. But many of the Marian prayers I have read are blatant idolatry, pleading to Mary to do what only God in Christ Jesus does--to help us, save us, make us more devoted to her immaculate heart, and even save us from her Son's justifiable wrath, since she can turn that aside at a mere word from her. I will reprint one prayer I find particularly disturbing--the prayer to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I can't link to the websites where it is found as they are not official Catholic websites.

From Catholic.org:

Note the bolded part about a sure pledge of eternal salvation. But who or what does the Bible say is the sure pledge of our salvation:

2 Corinthians 1:21-22
"Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge."

And

Ephesians 1:13-14
"In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory."

And

2 Corinthians 5:5
"Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge."

And

Ephesians 4:30
"Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."

These verses clearly state that the HS is the seal of our faith, not a mere human like Mary. But God the Holy Spirit!

Part 2 in next post.
Bonnie, we are just going to have to agree to disagree here.

I see the above language as exaggerated language of love and devotion, akin to "Your face would launch 1000 ships" or "I give my all to you."

You see as more than that. I understand. You are a Lutheran. Lutherans apparently see Mary and Christ as competitors. If we love Mary, for some reason that means we are taking away from Christ, and if we love Christ, that means we cannot love Mary. If we speak the exaggerated language of love and devotion to Mary, it follows we are worshipping her. But for some reason if we use that same language in reference to our spouse "I give my all to you" you automatically know that the person does not literally mean "To you and not to God."

Whatever. Think as you wish Bonnie. We will just have to agree to disagree.

You do not believe in the intercessory power of Mary or the saints. That is fine. Don't pray to Mary or the saints. Catholics do believe in the intercessory power of Mary and the saints and we will make use of it as we see fit; whether you like it or not.

Catholics have people in their organization that believe and teach rank heresy. I've seen too many catholics just blow off this person or that saying 'we don't have to believe it..' But the thing is, if it so dishonors Jesus it shouldn't just be blown off but called out. I have Ligouri's book the glories of mary. Here is just one quote out of dozens.

"it may be said, as a necessary consequence, that the salvation of all depends upon preaching Mary, and confidence in her intercession."

The 'we don't have to believe this' simply doesn't cut it. Why is this tripe even still around in 2022?
For the main and simple reason that THE RCC AGREES WITH LIGOURI'S BLASPHEMOUS STATEMENTS!

To say he "waxed poetical" or was "really enthusiastic" ignores the fact that he was a lawyer, and lawyers – more than most people – know the power and the effect of words – their "stock-in-trade", so to speak.

And if the RCC did not agree wholeheartedly with him, then how do they explain:

Saint Alphonsus Liguori, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

The RCC kicked out Luther et al. pretty quickly when the church disagreed with those calling for reform of the church, and she even called a special council to anathematize his teachings. What happened to Ligouri? He's beatified, canonized, made bishop and doctor by the RCC. There's even a mass for him!

So, the RCC supports Ligouri and his writings.

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

I see the above language as exaggerated language of love and devotion, akin to "Your face would launch 1000 ships" or "I give my all to you."

You see as more than that. I understand. You are a Lutheran. Lutherans apparently see Mary and Christ as competitors. If we love Mary, for some reason that means we are taking away from Christ, and if we love Christ, that means we cannot love Mary. If we speak the exaggerated language of love and devotion to Mary, it follows we are worshipping her. But for some reason if we use that same language in reference to our spouse "I give my all to you" you automatically know that the person does not literally mean "To you and not to God."

You do not believe in the intercessory power of Mary or the saints. That is fine. Don't pray to Mary or the saints. Catholics do believe in the intercessory power of Mary and the saints and we will make use of it as we see fit; whether you like it or not.
But thats not what Ligiouri says. Unless you can find that quote. Heres what i found;

To the Reader

I have thought it best to place in a clearer light some of the proposition* which it contains, and which may seem too bold, or perhaps obscure. I here enumerate some of them, and if others, my dear reader, should come under your eye, I pray you to consider them as meant and spoken by me according to the sense of true and sound theology, and of the holy Roman Catholic Church, whose obedient son I profess myself. In the introduction, page 19, referring to chap. 5th of the book, I have said that God has ordained that all graces should come to us through the hands of Mary. Now this is a very consoling truth for souls tenderly attached to the most holy Mary, and for poor sinners who desire to be converted. Nor should this appear to any one inconsistent with sound theology...
pp13

Nothing about poetry there or exaggerated love language. But wait theres more...

A well-known author, whom no one will suspect of exaggeration or of fanciful and overheated devotion, adds, that as Jesus Christ really formed his Church on Calvary, it is plain that the holy Virgin really co-operated with him, in a peculiar and excellent manner, in its formation. * And for the same reason it may be said, that if she brought forth Jesus Christ, the head of the Church, without pain, she did not bring forth the body of this head without pain. Hence she commenced on Calvary to be, in a particular manner, mother of the whole Church. To say all in a few words, Almighty God, in order to glorify the mother of the Redeemer, has ordained that her great charity should intercede for all those for whom her divine Son offered and paid the superabundant ransom of his precious blood, in which alone is our salvation, life and resurrection. It is on the basis of this doctrine and whatever belongs to it that I have undertaken to establish my propositions, which the saints in their affecting colloquies with Mary, and in their fervent discourses concening her,
pp14

And colloquies aren't poetry.

One more thing;

MY dear reader and brother in Mary,
pp 16

That right there is the problem. Catholics would rather be 'in' mary than 'in' Christ. Once you've bought into that lie theres nothing you won't believe.

You can see what you want, but that language is still a pack of lies, and not poetic exaggeration. That is just an excuse to justify it.
You see as more than that. I understand. You are a Lutheran. Lutherans apparently see Mary and Christ as competitors.

That is false...you are very unfamiliar with what we teach and believe. We see no competition, but rather, the proper place Mary has in the story of salvation. We love, honor, and respect her and the role she played, but we refuse to ascribe or give to Mary what rightfully belongs only to her Son. And that includes prayer!
If we love Mary, for some reason that means we are taking away from Christ, and if we love Christ, that means we cannot love Mary.

We can love Mary without praying that wretched prayer or similar ones to her. They are gross.
If we speak the exaggerated language of love and devotion to Mary, it follows we are worshipping her.

Catholics are. That prayer is worship, pure and simple.
But for some reason if we use that same language in reference to our spouse "I give my all to you" you automatically know that the person does not literally mean "To you and not to God."

I don't ask my husband to intercede for me with Jesus, to appease His wrath; call him the "only hope for sinners", or put my trust in my spouse for my salvation; or call him the "Spouse of the HS (!)", "Refuge of Sinners", etc. and etc. Honestly, this is one of the most...desperate attempts to justify the....garbage in this prayer I have ever seen on here!

Yep. I have Scripture on my side, and proved it, in my posts about this prayer. Catholics have bupkiss for all the stuff said
about Mary in this prayer.
You do not believe in the intercessory power of Mary or the saints.

Because there is no scriptural support that saints dead in the Lord intercede for us with Him. Or can hear prayers said to them from people still alive upon the earth. But we do know we have one intercessor between us and God--Jesus Christ. We need no other. We certainly need none between us and our dear Savior!
That is fine. Don't pray to Mary or the saints. Catholics do believe in the intercessory power of Mary and the saints and we will make use of it as we see fit; whether you like it or not.
Touchy, touchy! But how is this prayer "intercessory"? That is what Catholics say their prayers to the Saints are--pleas to intercede for them with Jesus. So, where is a plea for intercession in this prayer?

Oh, I know Catholics will make use of it, whether I like it or not...but you bet I will never pray to Saints dead in the Lord for help, succor, refuge...and certainly NOT for salvation, since Jesus alone saves and saves completely!

Last edited:
But thats not what Ligiouri says. Unless you can find that quote. Heres what i found;

Nothing about poetry there or exaggerated love language. But wait theres more...

And colloquies aren't poetry.

One more thing;

That right there is the problem. Catholics would rather be 'in' mary than 'in' Christ. Once you've bought into that lie theres nothing you won't believe.

What "sound theology"? There is NONE in diguori's book!

What a sad and sorry way to end a letter..."in MARY" instead of "in Christ Jesus" or something similar. When Dr. Luginbill answers my queries, he always signs his emails to me, "In our dear Savior, Christ the Lord" or "In the Name of our dear Savior and Lord." Or something similar. Ministers in our church usually write to each other in a similar fashion, addressing their fellow ministers as "Dear brothers in Christ" and ending the email with "In Christ our Lord." Or something similar. Their focus is always on Jesus Christ.

The fact that duLiguori ended his letter "in Mary" shows where his heart truly was--and it was not with Jesus Christ. Sad.

Thanks for posting this.

You have di Liguori's book? Have you read his prayers to Mary at the end of each chapter? I only read the first 3 chapters, ???before my stomach rebelled.

What "sound theology"? There is NONE in diguori's book!

What a sad and sorry way to end a letter..."in MARY" instead of "in Christ Jesus" or something similar. When Dr. Luginbill answers my queries, he always signs his emails to me, "In our dear Savior, Christ the Lord" or "In the Name of our dear Savior and Lord." Or something similar. Ministers in our church usually write to each other in a similar fashion, addressing their fellow ministers as "Dear brothers in Christ" and ending the email with "In Christ our Lord." Or something similar. Their focus is always on Jesus Christ.

The fact that duLiguori ended his letter "in Mary" shows where his heart truly was--and it was not with Jesus Christ. Sad.

Thanks for posting this.
I agree wholeheartedly that there isn't a stitch of good theology in there. Rpo's contention is that it's poetic. Something hes said elsewhere, but it's not. Ligouri actually thinks this is sound theology....from a Dr. of their church no less! Not that there aren't some intelligent catholic theologians, but this guy is a nut.

I remember part of one prayer in the book...I don't know if diLiguori wrote it, or or if he was quoting another Catholic theologian...but he wrote that we cannot be saved unless Mary first recommends us to Jesus Christ...

What utter blasphemy!
Is this it?

"St. Germanus beautifully confirms this by saying to the Virgin: Thou art mother of God, omnipotent to save sinners, and needest no other recommendation with God, since thou art the mother of true life. St. Bernardine of Sienna does not hesitate to say that all obey the commands of Mary, even God himself ; signifying by these words, that God listens to her prayers as though they were commands."

Ligouri; The Glories of Mary pp 202

Blasphemy upon blasphemy. But hey, all the catholic will say is 'we don't have to believe that.' If i said this in my church i'm sure i'd get a nervous giggle from someone but if i kept saying it i'd be in the pastors office and he'd probably say knock it off or go somewhere else. And he'd be right to do so.

They cannot support their blasphemy from scripture or the lives of Jesus and the apostles. If all we needed was Mary and our works why, oh why, did Jesus suffer the cross. Mary wasn't on the cross, no matter what some RCs believe. Mary did not give up her life for us. Mary isn't names as co anything in the bible.

The apostles never prayed to her after she died.

These Marian prayers, the rosary, the Marian societies and legions, the scapulars are replacing Jesus with Mary. They are leading the eyes from Jesus to Mary. The do not show the lessons that should be learnt from Peter's experience.

Matt 14:27+

But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.” And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

Is this it?

"St. Germanus beautifully confirms this by saying to the Virgin: Thou art mother of God, omnipotent to save sinners, and needest no other recommendation with God, since thou art the mother of true life. St. Bernardine of Sienna does not hesitate to say that all obey the commands of Mary, even God himself ; signifying by these words, that God listens to her prayers as though they were commands."

Ligouri; The Glories of Mary pp 202

Blasphemy upon blasphemy. But hey, all the catholic will say is 'we don't have to believe that.' If i said this in my church i'm sure i'd get a nervous giggle from someone but if i kept saying it i'd be in the pastors office and he'd probably say knock it off or go somewhere else. And he'd be right to do so.
No, that isn't the prayer...it actually said something about how Jesus' blood will be of no effect for us, unless Mary first recommends us to Jesus. But your quote is just as bad!

Ah! Here it is:

Truly up-chuck worthy!

Last edited:

Mary doesn't do squat. There is NOTHING in Scripture which says mary intercedes for us. But Scripture does say, Jesus, Himself intercedes for us.

Hebrews 7:25
Therefore HE is able, once and forever, to save those who come to God through him. HE lives forever to intercede with God on their behalf.

Romans 8:34
Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and HE is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.

1 John 2:1
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

Mary can't save us even WITH Jesus! She can't save anyone--Jesus alone saves and saves completely!

I take nothing out of context. Mary doesn't intercede for us; the HS does, with groans too deep for words, when we don't know how to pray as we ought to. GOD does it all--not a mere human being like Mary.

God.

Give HIM all the glory as Mary herself does, in her Magnificat. Catholics could learn a lot from the REAL Mary, and not the gross caricature they have made out of the gentle mother of our Lord in His humanity.

Mary can't save us even WITH Jesus! She can't save anyone--Jesus alone saves and saves completely!

I take nothing out of context. Mary doesn't intercede for us; the HS does, with groans too deep for words, when we don't know how to pray as we ought to. GOD does it all--not a mere human being like Mary.

God.

Give HIM all the glory as Mary herself does, in her Magnificat. Catholics could learn a lot from the REAL Mary, and not the gross caricature they have made out of the gentle mother of our Lord in His humanity.
That is so true.

Back