God did not create time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dropped from “eternity” past to “ eternity” future which would and does make time not relevant to God, but to His creation relevant as we have a beginning and an end to our mortal bodies , which begins our souls eternal life in or out of Jesus. Time was created when God created the heavens and earth. Gen 1:14 - And God said,Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night;and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days,and years:

Where does Gen 1:14 say that God created time?

Days and Nights are measures of time. Not time itself. Just not a flesh is the same flesh. Nor the all "bodies" are the same "bodies".

1Co 15:39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
1Co 15:40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
1Co 15:41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

You make a HUGE mistake in conflating various aspects of this discussion.

BTW. My body is coming along with me. My body will be changed.

You dropped from “eternity” past to “ eternity” future which would and does make time not relevant to God, but to His creation relevant as we have a beginning and an end to our mortal bodies , which begins our souls eternal life in or out of Jesus. Time was created when God created the heavens and earth. Gen 1:14 - And God said,Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night;and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days,and years:

Also, how long has light existed?

"In the beginning God created..."

States there was a beginning, which requires there was no point before.

A beginning for the work of God in humanity.

I'm surprised there are so few of you that have worked YOUR way through these issues.

As I have said before, I'm not arrogant enough to believe that Genesis 1:1 is the beginning of everything that God ever created or experienced. Nor is it the beginning of every work that God has ever wrought.

God is "arrogant" enough to start his book with "in the beginning."

Would seem presumptuous to one-up God with a beginning before the one he clearly tell us.

I'm not "arrogant enough" to do that.

God is "arrogant" enough to start his book with "in the beginning."

Would seem presumptuous to one-up God with a beginning before the one he clearly tell us.

I'm not "arrogant enough" to do that.

Okay. Why don't we walk down this road together.....

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Did you read this?

The heaven and EARTH. Joined. So tell me, what heaven is being referenced here? Notice the singular expression in both HEAVEN and EARTH......

I'm not being arrogant with a myopic view. I agree that God started His book with in the beginning and He expressed exactly what He was referencing.

OUR EARTH.

I believe you need to be fully transparent in what God said in Genesis 1:1. In the beginning, OUR BEGINNINGS.

God planned and executed His purpose in humanity with perfection.

So your argument is, because this is just one beginning among many, and not the beginning of creation, it therefore means God has always existed in time, correct?

I just want to make sure I'm understanding your position correctly.

Time is embedded in the definition of eternal by your own words.
Past is a reference to time.

Not to mention greek lexicons affirming this.

So your argument is, because this is just one beginning among many, and not the beginning of creation, it therefore means God has always existed in time, correct?

God does not exist in time. Time exists in God, as a concept.

You you assuming time is an actual tangible thing with the notion ".God exists in time"

It's my view that it's extremely important—vital almost—to resolve the Euthyphro by putting God first, rather than a standard he must adhere to.

What happens by positing an external morality to measure up against God, is we start trusting our feelings about morality over God's revelation.
Its not either or.

Putting God first also puts the standard first, as it's built into His nature.

Its not either or.

Putting God first also puts the standard first, as it's built into His nature.

You're removing God's free will by forcing his nature to be a certain way.

We do this sometimes because we have trust issues with God (e.g., how can I trust God if God is not forced to do things in a certain way?).

The point of saying God doesn't "have" to be a certain way, is the idea of putting God's ability prioritized above his attributes.

This makes God enthroned as an agent, and not a forced fixed thing.

It's my view that it's extremely important—vital almost—to resolve the Euthyphro by putting God first, rather than a standard he must adhere to.

What happens by positing an external morality to measure up against God, is we start trusting our feelings about morality over God's revelation.
Since I am a Fundamentalist, things like the Euthyphro Solution are easy because you always put God in front of things like Morality and Time...

The question is, does God get any say in Who He Is, or is God forced to be something.

God CHOOSES to be a Morally Good Being, in that sense, rather than being forced to have a good nature against the freedom of His will.

The question is, does God get any say in Who He Is, or is God forced to be something.

God CHOOSES to be a Morally Good Being, in that sense, rather than being forced to have a good nature against the freedom of His will.
If God if Holy/Good/Love then He is a Moral Being- its His nature,character.

definition:

adjective moral​

1. Of or concerned with the judgment of right or wrong of human action and character.
  2. Teaching or exhibiting goodness or correctness of character and behavior.
  3. Conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous.

The idea that time isn't a real tangible thing does not require God to be indistinguishable from the beginning of creation.

I would say Time is not a tangible thing in the eternal realm because there is no reference points to attach the concept of time to… but time is tangible in the finite realm because God created the reference points that “moment by moment” time is attached to. This is why I make the distinction by using the phrase “timeline of creation” instead of just Time in general.

In the beginning, God created. He is self evidently distinct from the beginning of creation regardless of the nature of time.

I agree God is “distinct from the beginning” because “the beginning” is a reference point created by God it is not referring to a point in God’s timeline in which he began something.

“The beginning” is a moment in the existence of creation’s timeline not a moment in the timeline of God’s existence.

Nor does it require God be "in" creation for God to be watching the flow of creation unfold. I would suggest He did watch, and declared it good.

If you want to apply “watching” to God’s predetermined Storyline level character interaction with his creation then I can agree… but if you are applying “God watching the flow of creation unfold” to the Transcendent Level of God’s outeractions then I will have to disagree. There must be a distinction or we will end up falling in to the same inconsistency as the Open Theist by assuming God can only experience moments of his creation the same way his characters do.

If you simply refer to Time as a whole there is no distinction between the eternal singular moment of God’s existence, before creation, and the moment by moment timeline of creation.
This assumes there is such a thing as "eternal singular moment". Not sure I can even concieve of such a thing.

I understand your point and I am not an expert on Gods eternal existence “before he created” either, but all I meant by “eternal singular moment” is that we can not identify a specific moment in God’s timeline” to place the “beginning” of creation. God does not have a beginning reference point in order to say something like “At God’s 12,143rd moment God created the heavens and the earth”…

At what moment can we place “creation” in God’s “timeline”?

I can however conceive (somewhat) of God living moment by moment in fellowship of trinity from eternity past.

I understand this but I don’t believe God’s eternal “moment by moment” existence is the same as his creation’s “moment by moment” existence because of 2 Peter 3:8 which states…

“But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”

Consider the number 8. Did God create that number, or did He not create it, and is actually "bound" by the number 8?

The answer is neither. It's a false dichotomy. The number 8 isn't a created thing, only a concept we connect to created things. Similar with time. It's a concept of sequencing events.

I agree God did not create an “8” thing, and I agree that it is a “concept we connect to created things” therefore “8” is meaningless without a reference point in creation. God created all the reference points for time in creation so when we are referencing time in creation we can point to a clock, or the sun, as a reference point for 8 moments in the “timeline of creation”. If we are on an island we can count the moments the sun has risen as a reference point from the beginning of our arrival. These are God created and sustained reference points for the “timeline of creation”. These reference points of time do not apply to God eternal existence with the Trinity.

The sun does not rise “8 times” as a reference point for Gods “moment by moment” existence.

These are the reasons why I make a distinction between God’s existence and our created and sustained “moment by moment timeline” existence.

It’s not about God being forced. It’s about weather God can in the first place.

You don’t know what you are talking about! It’s not about “being forced”…

You are saying…
God could “CHOOSE” to murder if he wanted to?

God could “CHOOSE” to dishonor his parents if he wanted to?

God could “CHOOSE” to steal if he wanted to?

Which law applies to God such that IF he wanted to he could “CHOOSE” to break it?

You are making a claim that… God is making moral “choices” but this implies that the laws apply to God in the first place! This implication is nonsensical.

God owns all life. It’s his right to take it at any point. This is why God can not “murder”. It’s not a moral “choice” for him to not murder… God simply can’t murder because he owns the right to all life to begin with. God can kill whoever he wants and it can never be described as “murder”.

You can murder if you want to because you do not own the right to someone else’s life. You don’t even own your own life.

It’s not a “choice” God is making when he does not “dishonor his parents”… God does not have parents to dishonor. God could not “choose” to dishonor his parents even if he wanted to. It does not apply to him.

You can “choose” to dishonor your parents. This law applies to you not God.

It’s not a “choice” God is making when he does not steal. God owns everything including you and your life. God can take anything he wants and it can never be described as stealing because it’s all his. This law does not apply to God.

You can steal because you are not God. You don’t own everything. God allots things to other people and commands you to not take it. You can steal if you wanted to.

It’s not about God being forced. It’s about weather God can in the first place.

You don’t know what you are talking about! It’s not about “being forced”…

You are saying…
God could “CHOOSE” to murder if he wanted to?

God could “CHOOSE” to dishonor his parents if he wanted to?

God could “CHOOSE” to steal if he wanted to?

Which law applies to God such that IF he wanted to he could “CHOOSE” to break it?

You are making a claim that… God is making moral “choices” but this implies that the laws apply to God in the first place! This implication is nonsensical.

God owns all life. It’s his right to take it at any point. This is why God can not “murder”. It’s not a moral “choice” for him to not murder… God simply can’t murder because he owns the right to all life to begin with. God can kill whoever he wants and it can never be described as “murder”.

You can murder if you want to because you do not own the right to someone else’s life. You don’t even own your own life.

It’s not a “choice” God is making when he does not “dishonor his parents”… God does not have parents to dishonor. God could not “choose” to dishonor his parents even if he wanted to. It does not apply to him.

You can “choose” to dishonor your parents. This law applies to you not God.

It’s not a “choice” God is making when he does not steal. God owns everything including you and your life. God can take anything he wants and it can never be described as stealing because it’s all his. This law does not apply to God.

You can steal because you are not God. You don’t own everything. God allots things to other people and commands you to not take it. You can steal if you wanted to.

The reference point in eternity past is the trinity fellowship.

At any rate, even if I assumed there was no change and no time before creation, I see no need to attach some tangible qualuty to the beginning of time at creation.

It's just a start point of creation events. Time is a measurement like the number 8.

Close. I've clearly said that time is quality of Divinity. An essential part of His Character. Jesus, the Great I AM said He is beginning and end. Yesterday, today and forever. Those statements are facts and settle the argument.

Your appeal to Genesis 1:1 does not negate these facts. Genesis 1:1 details man's beginnings. After all, this world was formed for Adam and his offspring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back