How can there be a loving God?

The amount of time during which Reynolds was "flatlined" is generally misrepresented and suggest that her NDE occurred under general anesthesia when the brain was still active, hours before Reynolds underwent hypothermic cardiac arrest. It was a 7 hour operation. Did Pam report 7 hours of conversation and awareness?
How does a brain without aid of conciosness and open eyes accurately see and remember things around it during that time of unconciousness and blindness?

You may have more faith in this matter than I do, lol.

Show me a video or transcript explaing the details of how the testimony was misrepresented.
You are doing it now. You are claiming that she was totally brain dead during the time she received these impressions. You have never given us a timeline of the corroborated conversations juxtaposed to the actual span of time she was fully flatlined in the middle of the operation. The majority of the operation she was not flatlined.

How does a brain without aid of conciosness and open eyes accurately see and remember things around it during that time of unconciousness and blindness?

There is very little corroborated with the external operation room and the conversations in comparison to the time she was under. Most of the time she was communing with dead relatives.

I did not say it was supernatural. I was using your argument for consistency of experience to prove the validity of experience in regard to the brain during sleep, which you can relate to, to show the fallacy of your argument.
But you have no consistency of experience even though we supposedly all have a soul, so I am not getting your point. You are reporting very inconsistent as well as very scant experiences for something that is supposedly consistent and ubiquitous- an aware soul in us all - not attached to our mind/brain that rests sometimes and is active at others.. You seem to be saying the soul works like dream states - sometimes you get em - sometimes you don’t. What good is that for your claim that we all have separately conscious souls? It doesn’t help your argument at all.

In fact the proper conclusion to your argument is that the soul acts like the brain - so its the brain.

Last edited:
There is very little corroborated with the external operation room and the conversations in comparison to the time she was under. Most of the time she was communing with dead relatives.
Found this:

Could Pam Reynolds have been aware without the anesthesiologist knowing of her awareness? The answer is yes. Her body temperature during all the periods of verifiable perceptions of sounds, speech, and music was nearly normal.

So I was correct. The experiences reported were not during the cryogenic portion of the operation.

The different time would not be related to the created time which came about by the beginning of the universe. Not the same timeline. There is one timeline for prior to the beginning of the universe which still continues and a different timeline that begins with the creation of the universe which still continues but will end. The spirit world time line will continue after the demise of the universe. (Although there is debate about what is meant by a new heaven and a new earth.)
I'm afraid that's plainly contradictory. You can't say both that the timelines are unrelated and that one came before the other. 'Before' and 'prior' are temporal relations.

Greg Boyd in the article I posted earlier makes a distinction between time and sequence. post # 949
Do you think there is a distinction to be made?
I don't know, as I haven't read it. How would you make the distinction? What more is there to time beyond things being in a sequence of before and after?

Are you saying people can have the awareness of seeing through closed eyelids, and remember it while under anaesthesia?
No. Are you blindly going to accept everything you've been told by Michael Sabom at face value without any critical examination?

Pam was taken into the operating theatre before being administered any anaesthesia, so she would have a good idea of her surroundings. If she was subject to a degree of anaesthesia awareness half way between awake and out cold she could well have had an episode like dreaming along with hearing what was going on around her. I have had such experiences half way between being awake and asleep.

Why are you not taking into account the possibility that Pam was not actually seeing but sort of dreaming due to anaesthesia awareness? To put it another way, she wasn't properly unconscious at the time of her episodes of awareness.

Stability is a property which nothingness doesn't have. Instability is the absence of stability, therefore nothingness is unstable.
Nothingness cannot have properties because its the absence of something. Only something can have properties. Nothing is nonexistence.

The thing that gives it instability is something that doesn't exist (it would necessarily not exist, because we're talking about nothingness): it's the absence of any law or principle that says something can't come from nothing.
Why does it follow that there must be a law or principle that determines something cannot come from nothing...and without a law nothingness can bring about something? That's just the semantics of absence. Nothingness is the absence of absolutely everything. Nothingness is the state of nonexistence.

Let's pretend that you somehow had the power to walk into the state of nothingness would you find anything there other than yourself? Would you find instability?

How so? How are you defining a time-frame? The gun firer isn't outside of time,

No. He is outside the race time.

and is temporally related to everything that comes after.

No. He is not. T=0 for him. ZERO! He's not in race time.

Okay, so you believe in causation from outside of time into it, without the cause having to precede its effect. I don't.

Nor do I. All effects have a cause. God is not an effect.

No. He is outside the race time.
No. He is not. T=0 for him. ZERO! He's not in race time.
A gun firer is temporally related to what comes after. He is not outside of time altogether, and is merely in more time that precedes race time. That is different from what you say about God, who you say is entirely outside of time.

Nor do I.
You don't believe in God causing time from outside of time?

All effects have a cause. God is not an effect.
I don't see how that relates to what I said.

I'm afraid that's plainly contradictory. You can't say both that the timelines are unrelated and that one came before the other. 'Before' and 'prior' are temporal relations.
There is a transcendent timeline or you could call it a timeline in the spiritual dimension which existed before the material timeline. Why would the transcendent spiritual timeline have anything to do with the material timeline? Spiritual beings like the angels, fallen angels, and God can interact and be causal in both timelines. Material beings only interact for the most part in the material timeline.

The timelines are unrelated because they are in different dimensions.

I don't know, as I haven't read it. How would you make the distinction? What more is there to time beyond things being in a sequence of before and after?
Do the thoughts in our minds count as time? There is definitely a sequence to our thinking. Is there time involved?
How would that apply to an eternal, transcendent being? Would the sequence of his thoughts count as time?

There is a transcendent timeline or you could call it a timeline in the spiritual dimension which existed before the material timeline. Why would the transcendent spiritual timeline have anything to do with the material timeline? Spiritual beings like the angels, fallen angels, and God can interact and be causal in both timelines. Material beings only interact for the most part in the material timeline.

The timelines are unrelated because they are in different dimensions.
Sorry, that's still contradictory. If one bit of time occurs before another bit of time, then that makes both part of the same timeline. You cannot say they are unrelated while also relating them by the terms 'before' and 'after'.

Do the thoughts in our minds count as time? There is definitely a sequence to our thinking. Is there time involved? How would that apply to an eternal, transcendent being? Would the sequence of his thoughts count as time?
Sure, thoughts occur within time. If there can be some kind of non-temporal thought, then this isn't something we can conceive of.

A gun firer is temporally related to what comes after. He is not outside of time altogether, and is merely in more time that precedes race time. That is different from what you say about God, who you say is entirely outside of time.

God started the universe by creating time, while outside of time. Similarly, the guy firing the gun starts the race time, while outside the race. It makes no difference to the race if the gun is fired at noon or 1 PM.

You don't believe in God causing time from outside of time?

No, I do.

God started the universe by creating time, while outside of time. Similarly, the guy firing the gun starts the race time, while outside the race. It makes no difference to the race if the gun is fired at noon or 1 PM.
Sure, but we've been discussing whether or not causes must precede their effects in time, with you saying God (the cause) causes time (the effect) without preceding it. Your analogy instead gives a case where the cause (gun firer) does precede the effect (the race) in time.

No, I do.
So what part of this did you disagree with: "Okay, so you believe in causation from outside of time into it, without the cause [God] having to precede its effect [time]."?

Sorry, that's still contradictory. If one bit of time occurs before another bit of time, then that makes both part of the same timeline. You cannot say they are unrelated while also relating them by the terms 'before' and 'after'.
This doesn't address my point about different timelines in different dimensions being unrelated.
Sure, thoughts occur within time. If there can be some kind of non-temporal thought, then this isn't something we can conceive of.
If we were eternal, how would time affect us? I don't believe it would.

This doesn't address my point about different timelines in different dimensions being unrelated.
It directly addresses that. I'm saying you have related them by placing them in relations of 'before' and 'after'.

If we were eternal, how would time affect us? I don't believe it would.
What do you mean by eternal? Infinite time, or no time at all? Thoughts clearly occur in temporal sequence just like anything else.

Back