A Case For 'Election'

Alive

2Tim. 3:16 (NAS20S) All Scripture is inspired by God and beneficial for teaching, for rebuke, for correction, for training in righteousness;

Can we set aside these verses and others throughout scripture?

What are we to do with these? How do they affect our doctrinal positions?

Some scriptures and thoughts that make a case for ‘election’ as a choice of God’s rather than man’s.

I invite folks to share their thoughts for or against.

1670. ἕλκω helkō; a prim. vb.; to drag; draw; haul: — drag(1), dragged(2), draw(1), draws(1), drew(1), haul(1), hauled(1).

8 verses where this word is used…the same Greek word.

John 6:44 (NAS20S) “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

John 12:32 (NAS20S) “And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to Myself.”

John 18:10 (NAS20S) Then Simon Peter, since he had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s slave, and cut off his right ear; and the slave’s name was Malchus.

John 21:6 (NAS20S) And He said to them, “ Cast the net on the right-hand side of the boat, and you will find the fish.”So they cast it, and then they were not able to haul it in because of the great quantity of fish.

John 21:11 (NAS20S) So Simon Peter went up and hauled the net to land, full of large fish, 153; and although there were so many, the net was not torn.

Acts 16:19 (NAS20S) But when her masters saw that their hope of profit was suddenly gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace before the authorities,

Acts 21:30 (NAS20S) Then the whole city was provoked and the people rushed together, and taking hold of Paul they dragged him out of the temple, and immediately the doors were shut.

James 2:6 (NAS20S) But you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you and personally dragyou into court?

John 6:44 (NAS20S) “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

1588. ἐκλεκτός eklektos; from 1586; chosen, elect; choice: — choice(2), choice man(1), chosen(10), chosen one(1), elect(8).

Matt. 22:14 (NAS20S) “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Matt. 24:22 (NAS20S) “And if those days had not been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.

Matt. 24:24 (NAS20S) “For false christs and false prophets will arise and will provide great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.

Matt. 24:31 (NAS20S) “And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET BLAST, and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

Mark 13:20 (NAS20S) “And if the Lord had not shortened those days, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect, whom He chose, He shortened the days.

Mark 13:22 (NAS20S) for false christs and false prophets will arise, and will provide signs and wonders, in order to mislead, if possible, the elect.

Mark 13:27 (NAS20S) “And then He will send forth the angels, and will gather together His elect from the four winds, from the end of the earth to the end of heaven.

Luke 18:7 (NAS20S) now, will God not bring about justice for His elect who cry out to Him day and night, and will He delay long for them?

Luke 23:35 (NAS20S) And the people stood by, watching. And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen One.”

Rom. 8:33 (NAS20S) Who will bring charges against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies;

Rom. 16:13 (NAS20S) Greet Rufus, a choice man in the Lord, also his mother and mine.

Col. 3:12 (NAS20S) So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience;

1Tim. 5:21 (NAS20S) I solemnly exhort you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of His chosen angels, to maintain these principles without bias, doing nothing in a spirit of partiality.

2Tim. 2:10 (NAS20S) For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory.

Titus 1:1 (NAS20S) Paul, a bond-servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness,

1Pet. 1:1 (NAS20S) Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as strangers, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen

1Pet. 2:4 (NAS20S)
And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by people, but is choice and precious in the sight of God,

1Pet. 2:6 (NAS20S) For this is contained in Scripture: “ BEHOLD, I AM LAYING IN ZION A CHOICE STONE, A PRECIOUS CORNERSTONE, AND THE ONE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE PUT TO SHAME.”

1Pet. 2:9 (NAS20S) But you are A CHOSEN PEOPLE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR GOD’S OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

2John 1 (NAS20S) The elder to the chosen lady and her children, whom I love in truth; and not only I, but also all who know the truth,

2John 13 (NAS20S) The children of your chosen sister greet you.

Rev. 17:14 (NAS20S) “These will wage war against the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them because He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are the called and chosen and faithful.”

4309. προορίζω proorizō; from 4253 and 3724; to predetermine, foreordain: — predestined(6).

Acts 4:28 (NAS20S) to do whatever Your hand and purpose predestined to occur.

Rom. 8:29 (NAS20S) For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

Rom. 8:29 (NAS20S) For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters;

foreknew G4267 προγινώσκω proginōskō

[GNT-T] προέγνω proegnō Verb third singular aorist active indicative to know ahead of time, choose ahead of time

Rom. 11:2 (NAS20S)
God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel?

1Pet. 1:20 (NAS20S) For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times for the sake of you

Often folks want to explain election and God’s choosing by confining it to the idea that God knew ahead of time how an individual would react when hearing the Gospel.

That is understandable, but then what do we do with these words in scripture?

Rom. 9:10 (NAS20S) And not only that, but there was also Rebekah, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac; 11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God’s purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls, 12 it was said to her, “ THE OLDER WILL SERVE THE YOUNGER.” 13 Just as it is written: “ JACOB I HAVE LOVED, BUT ESAU I HAVE HATED.”

Rom. 9:14 (NAS20S) What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? Far from it! 15 For He says to Moses, “ I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOMEVER I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL SHOW COMPASSION TO WHOMEVER I SHOW COMPASSION.” 16 So then, it does not depend on the person who wants it nor the one who runs, but on God who has mercy.

elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father (1 Pet. 1:2 NKJ)
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined (Rom. 8:29 NKJ)

There is absolutely no reason—I repeat NO reason—to put foreknowledge as a prior basis of election before predestination, if foreknowledge actually meant predestination, as some Calvinists will try to salvage the passage with, that or God somehow having an intimate relationship with someone that does not even exist, which is logical nonsense.

God wrote these words, and he did not say "elect according to the predestination of God the Father," nor did he write "For whom he predestined, he also foreknew," which is how Calvinism would logically work out to. Not to mention there is no passage that says that only the elect are saved, or the clear indication that there are multiple kinds of election, so we can't assume that every time "chosen" or "elect" is used it is for the same thing.

God may indeed elect some people in a special way, while electing all in another sense, and election nowhere means eternal security, that concept is completely foreign to Scripture, so that even if a certain people were elected, trusting in their election to save them is thoroughly condemned in Scripture as presumptuous and arrogant, we are to make our election sure.

Whatever election means, Calvinism grossly misrepresents it.

and being elect/chosen is not salvation as we know Israel was Gods chosen and most all of them were lost, never saved. this is just one more example of calvinists who are conflating, equivocating the bible to support their false doctrines of tulip.

oops

next...

Yours Truly, Team Truth !

hope this helps !!!

elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father (1 Pet. 1:2 NKJ)
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined (Rom. 8:29 NKJ)

There is absolutely no reason—I repeat NO reason—to put foreknowledge as a prior basis of election before predestination, if foreknowledge actually meant predestination, as some Calvinists will try to salvage the passage with, that or God somehow having an intimate relationship with someone that does not even exist, which is logical nonsense.

God wrote these words, and he did not say "elect according to the predestination of God the Father," nor did he write "For whom he predestined, he also foreknew," which is how Calvinism would logically work out to. Not to mention there is no passage that says that only the elect are saved, or the clear indication that there are multiple kinds of election, so we can't assume that every time "chosen" or "elect" is used it is for the same thing.

God may indeed elect some people in a special way, while electing all in another sense, and election nowhere means eternal security, that concept is completely foreign to Scripture, so that even if a certain people were elected, trusting in their election to save them is thoroughly condemned in Scripture as presumptuous and arrogant, we are to make our election sure.

Whatever election means, Calvinism grossly misrepresents it.
I am not Calvin, nor do I call myself a Calvinist. I do study my bible though.
:)

Back