A Tale of Two Testimonies

David1701

The sun shone from a cloudless, blue sky over the sheep's main meeting-hall in Pigville. A rectangular, wooden structure, with a sloping, panelled roof and large, square, grilled windows at regular intervals housed the meetings, held every Wednesday and Sunday.

There was a steady stream of woollen worshippers talking excitedly, their tidy hooves clattering on the stone path, as they made their way up the gently rising, grassy bank, and headed for the entrance.

Today was a special day, a holy day, a day of awe and wonder – God had apparently delivered two souls from death and they wanted to make a public profession of their deliverance and desire to follow the Great Shepherd.

As the last sheep found a vacant seat, Paul, an elderly, greyish, bespectacled ram, persuaded his old legs to raise him to all fours.

“Brothers and sisters,”, he began, in a low, gravelly voice, “it is with great pleasure that I introduce two new sheep to the Pigville meeting!”

He gradually eased his head round and stretched a griselled leg towards a fresh, young ewe, seated to his right, and slightly behind him.

“This is Sally, whose heart was opened, by the Great Shepherd, only a few days ago. This young lass, who had sunk deeply into the mud pits of depravity, has been turned from darkness to light, and now she would like to give glory to her Lord, for his saving grace.”, Paul announced.

Sally rose thoughtfully and gazed over the assembled flock, through moistening eyes. Seven hundred pairs of eyes looked back intently, and a hushed, expectant air fell upon them all.

“I'm not really a public speaker,”, Sally said softly, “but I want to say how much I love the Great Shepherd for dying for me and giving me life.”

She paused, to steady her emotions, and sipped a little water, from the bowl on the lecturn, then continued, “I was in despair, guilty and hopeless, trying to find help from somewhere, because I couldn't break free from my sins and sorrows. I started to read from the Shepherd's Holy Book. His Law pressed upon me and I felt the weight of my sin, as if I were a weightlifter and someone was adding more and more weight to the bar, so that it would crush me at any moment.”

She paused again, and a moment with the bowl rescued her composure.
“I read of the Lord Jesus Christ, his perfect life, his love, his miracles, his dark betrayal by a “friend”, the flogging, the mockery and, finally, the humiliation and agony of the cross; but still my burden pushed me lower and lower, until I went down on my knees.”, said Sally.

A gentle peace blew softly through the flock, as if to prepare for the finale.

Sally continued, “A moment came, as I read of my Saviour, on the cross, asking his Father to forgive his persecutors, because they knew not what they were doing. In that moment (oh, what a moment!) my Lord replaced my disbelieving, corrupt, dead heart, with a new and living heart that beats for him forever! I knew, beyond all doubt, that he had died for me and saved me, by shedding his precious blood, on that agonising cross. Rivers of tears ran down my face and I couldn't stop saying “sorry” for my sins; but, through it all, there was this amazing love, this warmth and forgiveness, this acceptance that only the Great Shepherd can give. Oh, how I thanked and praised him! Brokenhearted I was, over my sin, and I wanted never to displease my Lord again; but, such sweet sorrow and the overwhelming joy of salvation; a new and living relationship with the Lord Jesus. Hallelujah!”.

At this point, Sally was so overcome with emotion that she could no longer stand and, after a warm, avuncular look, Paul, the elderly ram, motioned for a deacon to help her to her seat.

Turning to his left, Paul stretched out his other foreleg and said, “Now we come to Damian. I don't know him personally, but he tells me that he has decided to follow the Great Shepherd, so let's hear his testimony as well.”.

Damian rose briskly and strode to the front.

“Fellow followers of our Great Shepherd,”, he boomed, “I too have been troubled by my flaws, failings and troubled upbringing. I read the New Testament and, having examined the evidence, I have concluded that it is true.”.

Here he paused for effect, to allow some “Amens”, and sipped from a fresh bowl of water.

“I sought the help of an evangelist, from the far side of Pigville, Percy by name, and he said the Shepherd had died for everyone and therefore he died for me. He said that I needed to accept that I was a sinner, believe that the Great Shepherd had died for me and commit myself to him, in order to be saved.”, declared Damian, with a look of suitable gravity.

“I considered my options and decided that there was no contest: salvation and heaven were infinitely better than suffering and hell; so I made my decision, and repeated a “sinner's prayer” after Percy. Percy said that, if I had been sincere in my decision, then God was bound to honour his word and save me.”, Damian exclaimed.

“I want to urge anyone here now, who has not made a decision for the Great Shepherd, to do it right now! It will be the best decision you have ever made! Don't delay, you could be dead tomorrow and only your decision for the Shepherd can save you! Do what I did and make your choice for him, it will change your life forever!”, Damian exhorted.

Some cheers and “Amens” went up from the flock; but there were also knitted brows and uncertainty, amongst the more mature.

With his testimony complete, Damian marched back to his seat and surveyed the audience, with a satisfied smile. That was his first public witness for the Shepherd and he thought that it had gone very well. At that moment, he felt something slightly uncomfortable under him, on the seat, and adjusted his full-length, body-hugging sheepskin coat.

---I wrote this, some years ago now, as an illustration of biblical realities and how they might appear in a practical setting. See if you recognise anything similar to what you have seen or heard.

Sally could represent regeneration before repentance; Damian could represent easy believism for personal gain.
A third person, such as the Publican, could have represented true conversion; but then, you could have been thinking either/or scenario.

The sun shone from a cloudless, blue sky over the sheep's main meeting-hall in Pigville. A rectangular, wooden structure, with a sloping, panelled roof and large, square, grilled windows at regular intervals housed the meetings, held every Wednesday and Sunday.

There was a steady stream of woollen worshippers talking excitedly, their tidy hooves clattering on the stone path, as they made their way up the gently rising, grassy bank, and headed for the entrance.

Today was a special day, a holy day, a day of awe and wonder – God had apparently delivered two souls from death and they wanted to make a public profession of their deliverance and desire to follow the Great Shepherd.

As the last sheep found a vacant seat, Paul, an elderly, greyish, bespectacled ram, persuaded his old legs to raise him to all fours.

“Brothers and sisters,”, he began, in a low, gravelly voice, “it is with great pleasure that I introduce two new sheep to the Pigville meeting!”

He gradually eased his head round and stretched a griselled leg towards a fresh, young ewe, seated to his right, and slightly behind him.

“This is Sally, whose heart was opened, by the Great Shepherd, only a few days ago. This young lass, who had sunk deeply into the mud pits of depravity, has been turned from darkness to light, and now she would like to give glory to her Lord, for his saving grace.”, Paul announced.

Sally rose thoughtfully and gazed over the assembled flock, through moistening eyes. Seven hundred pairs of eyes looked back intently, and a hushed, expectant air fell upon them all.

“I'm not really a public speaker,”, Sally said softly, “but I want to say how much I love the Great Shepherd for dying for me and giving me life.”

She paused, to steady her emotions, and sipped a little water, from the bowl on the lecturn, then continued, “I was in despair, guilty and hopeless, trying to find help from somewhere, because I couldn't break free from my sins and sorrows. I started to read from the Shepherd's Holy Book. His Law pressed upon me and I felt the weight of my sin, as if I were a weightlifter and someone was adding more and more weight to the bar, so that it would crush me at any moment.”

“I read of the Lord Jesus Christ, his perfect life, his love, his miracles, his dark betrayal by a “friend”, the flogging, the mockery and, finally, the humiliation and agony of the cross; but still my burden pushed me lower and lower, until I went down on my knees.”, said Sally.

Sally continued, “A moment came, as I read of my Saviour, on the cross, asking his Father to forgive his persecutors, because they knew not what they were doing. In that moment (oh, what a moment!) my Lord replaced my disbelieving, corrupt, dead heart, with a new and living heart that beats for him forever! I knew, beyond all doubt, that he had died for me and saved me, by shedding his precious blood, on that agonising cross. Rivers of tears ran down my face and I couldn't stop saying “sorry” for my sins; but, through it all, there was this amazing love, this warmth and forgiveness, this acceptance that only the Great Shepherd can give. Oh, how I thanked and praised him! Brokenhearted I was, over my sin, and I wanted never to displease my Lord again; but, such sweet sorrow and the overwhelming joy of salvation; a new and living relationship with the Lord Jesus. Hallelujah!”.

At this point, Sally was so overcome with emotion that she could no longer stand and, after a warm, avuncular look, Paul, the elderly ram, motioned for a deacon to help her to her seat.

Turning to his left, Paul stretched out his other foreleg and said, “Now we come to Damian. I don't know him personally, but he tells me that he has decided to follow the Great Shepherd, so let's hear his testimony as well.”.

“Fellow followers of our Great Shepherd,”, he boomed, “I too have been troubled by my flaws, failings and troubled upbringing. I read the New Testament and, having examined the evidence, I have concluded that it is true.”.

Here he paused for effect, to allow some “Amens”, and sipped from a fresh bowl of water.

“I sought the help of an evangelist, from the far side of Pigville, Percy by name, and he said the Shepherd had died for everyone and therefore he died for me. He said that I needed to accept that I was a sinner, believe that the Great Shepherd had died for me and commit myself to him, in order to be saved.”, declared Damian, with a look of suitable gravity.

“I considered my options and decided that there was no contest: salvation and heaven were infinitely better than suffering and hell; so I made my decision, and repeated a “sinner's prayer” after Percy. Percy said that, if I had been sincere in my decision, then God was bound to honour his word and save me.”, Damian exclaimed.

“I want to urge anyone here now, who has not made a decision for the Great Shepherd, to do it right now! It will be the best decision you have ever made! Don't delay, you could be dead tomorrow and only your decision for the Shepherd can save you! Do what I did and make your choice for him, it will change your life forever!”, Damian exhorted.

Some cheers and “Amens” went up from the flock; but there were also knitted brows and uncertainty, amongst the more mature.

With his testimony complete, Damian marched back to his seat and surveyed the audience, with a satisfied smile. That was his first public witness for the Shepherd and he thought that it had gone very well. At that moment, he felt something slightly uncomfortable under him, on the seat, and adjusted his full-length, body-hugging sheepskin coat.

---I wrote this, some years ago now, as an illustration of biblical realities and how they might appear in a practical setting. See if you recognise anything similar to what you have seen or heard.

First of all, I enjoyed your story, and found it well written. Secondly, and to the point, all fiction writing is biased to the beliefs of the author, which is stylistically evident in the verbiage employed to describe each of the testimonials. Truth in fiction is always filtered to the author's experience and prior set of beliefs. I mean the use of Damian is really subtle...

Doug

First of all, I enjoyed your story, and found it well written. Secondly, and to the point, all fiction writing is biased to the beliefs of the author, which is stylistically evident in the verbiage employed to describe each of the testimonials. Truth in fiction is always filtered to the author's experience and prior set of beliefs. I mean the use of Damian is really subtle...

Doug
Thanks for the compliments.

Yes, it's an illustration based on my beliefs and experience. I wanted to see if anyone else recognised any of the things that I've come across.

Okay, I know that "Damian" was not exactly subtle (it was more my sense of humour), but some of the other indicators (there were several), except the final one, were a little more so.

I was all for saying that both Sheep were Saved; until you ended with Damian being a Wolf in Sheep's clothing. This revelation mandates that Damian is Lost; despite his Confession. I think all would agree that if Damian were a Sheep, his Testimony would be true and worthy as is...

If you believe that both Arminians and Calvinists are Saved/Sheep, if Damian were a Sheep; he would have believed the Gospel of Jesus Christ, despite anyone judging his Testimony correct?

Last edited:
Easy Believism ~ by ReverendRV * March 23

Romans 10:9 KJV
; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

The Protestant Reformation was built largely upon the premise we are Saved through ‘Faith Alone’. ~ Recently a Celebrity has come out as a Christian, claiming “Jesus is King”. Christians are concerned that the Star will let us down as other Stars have in the past, saying “Let’s wait and see”; but should we wait?? Some Churches take issue with Easy Believism, but it takes very little for us to become a Christian. Thank God that this is true, because our Justification in the sight of God could never be real any other way! May God bless Kanye West and use him for the increase of his Kingdom, and his Honor and Glory. The World will want to break Kanye; but when God is involved, a bruised reed he will not break. Becoming a Christian is easy, but Persevering in the Faith could be another matter…

I wanted to show that ‘Easy Believism’ and ‘Easy Condemnation’ have a certain Equilibrium; sort of an Equal Ultimacy. ~ Have you ever told a Lie? You say, “That’s easy, yes I have”. What do you call people who Lie? You say, “That’s easy too, they are Liars”. What does all this make you out to be? You say, “It doesn’t make ME a Liar”. But wouldn’t their being Liars, also make you a Liar because of a kind of Equal Ultimacy; a ‘unifying’ Category so to speak? As it takes little to be Saved from the Penalty of your Sins, there’s an Equilibrium between easy Innocence and easy Guiltiness; all it takes is a Lie to be Guilty. But it gets worse; “The cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the Adulterous, those who practice magic arts, the Idolaters and all Liars shall have their part in the Lake which burns with fire and brimstone”. If God Judged you by this standard would you be Guilty? Would you go to this fiery Hell?? Does this bother you? ~ If it does, then it’s time for the Gospel…

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever ‘believes’ in him shall not perish but have everlasting Life; how easy is that?! For all have Sinned and Fallen short of the Glory of God, but the gift of God is Eternal Life in Jesus Christ. He lived a Sinless Life and earned a Righteousness which allowed him a Triumphal Entry into Heaven, but he gladly traded his triumph for our shame. Jesus Christ paid the penalty for Lying to God by shedding his blood on the Cross, Atoning for Sin. Jesus arose from the grave conquering Death and Hell, then ascended to Heaven where he prepares a place for us to be with him. We’re Saved by Grace through Faith in the risen Jesus Christ, without trying to Merit Salvation in any other conceivable way. Confess Jesus Christ as your Lord God, Repent of your Sins; and join a Bible believing Church as soon as you can. When Jesus bears your Sin, you bear his Righteousness; and are Forgiven. ~ “Equal Ultimacy” is used to debate higher Doctrines; but when someone else is Categorized as a Sinner, ultimately you are too. When Jesus is Righteous and you are in him; ultimately you are too. This is God’s Truth for you…

John 18:37 KJV; Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

Sally sounds more like:
Acts 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.
That's right. The publican is also like Lydia; but, the parable of the publican and the Pharisee was intended to focus upon the difference between pride and humility before God, not who opens the heart.

I was all for saying that both Sheep were Saved; until you ended with Damian being a Wolf in Sheep's clothing. This revelation mandates that Damian is Lost; despite his Confession. I think all would agree that if Damian were a Sheep, his Testimony would be true and worthy as is...

If you believe that both Arminians and Calvinists are Saved/Sheep, if Damian were a Sheep; he would have believed the Gospel of Jesus Christ, despite anyone judging his Testimony correct?
Yikes!!!

In my illustration, Damian:

1) Was only being troubled by his faults and failings, with an insinuation that his troubled upbringing was at least partly responsible. There was no godly sorrow and no repentance.

2) He examined the evidence for the gospel and concluded that it's true. This is mere mental assent to facts; it is not faith.

3) The "evangelist" told him the notorious, faulty ABC method of, allegedly, getting saved (Admit that you're a sinner (not repent), Believe that Christ died for you (i.e. accept the facts, not necessarily have faith), and Commit yourself to him), not the real gospel, which includes the need for repentance and genuine faith in the Lord himself, not mere acceptance of facts about him.

4) Damian made a decision based on self-preservation, not contrition and faith (he preferred heaven to hell).

5) He claimed that God was duty bound to save him, because of his self-preservation decision.

6) He exhorted others to do the same as he had done (no mention of repentance or faith in the Lord).

These are all things that I have come across in "freewill" churches, but they save no-one; in fact, they result in the churches filling up with religious unbelievers.

I'm honestly quite shocked that you would accept such a testimony, which bears precisely zero marks of genuine salvation.

Yikes!!!

In my illustration, Damian:

1) Was only being troubled by his faults and failings, with an insinuation that his troubled upbringing was at least partly responsible. There was no godly sorrow and no repentance.

2) He examined the evidence for the gospel and concluded that it's true. This is mere mental assent to facts; it is not faith.

3) The "evangelist" told him the notorious, faulty ABC method of, allegedly, getting saved (Admit that you're a sinner (not repent), Believe that Christ died for you (i.e. accept the facts, not necessarily have faith), and Commit yourself to him), not the real gospel, which includes the need for repentance and genuine faith in the Lord himself, not mere acceptance of facts about him.

4) Damian made a decision based on self-preservation, not contrition and faith (he preferred heaven to hell).

5) He claimed that God was duty bound to save him, because of his self-preservation decision.

6) He exhorted others to do the same as he had done (no mention of repentance or faith in the Lord).

These are all things that I have come across in "freewill" churches, but they save no-one; in fact, they result in the churches filling up with religious unbelievers.

I'm honestly quite shocked that you would accept such a testimony, which bears precisely zero marks of gellnuine salvation.
It appears his testimony was all about that he made a decision, that he determined what was true, that heaven looked like a better place than hell. It appeared completely subjective with zero repentance.

I think we are missing the repentance part, and tend to think "Oh, they claim to believe." So do devils.

It reminds me of a church we had visited where a woman went forward to the "altar" to join the church on her profession of faith.
I'm sitting there smh because she gave no profession of faith. Then the pastor says "Oh, wait, what is your profession of faith?" I had about 3 seconds of relief until she said "Well, you are a bunch of nice people" and they voted to accept that as her profession of faith.

Sally sounds more like:
Acts 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.
No, it couldn't possibly be Sally because the text says Lydia. Context! ;) ?

It appears his testimony was all about that he made a decision, that he determined what was true, that heaven looked like a better place than hell. It appeared completely subjective with zero repentance.

I think we are missing the repentance part, and tend to think "Oh, they claim to believe." So do devils.

It reminds me of a church we had visited where a woman went forward to the "altar" to join the church on her profession of faith.
I'm sitting there smh because she gave no profession of faith. Then the pastor says "Oh, wait, what is your profession of faith?" I had about 3 seconds of relief until she said "Well, you are a bunch of nice people" and they voted to accept that as her profession of faith.
I would add "Well, you are a bunch of nice people." to my illustration, but I'm afraid that it would be too far-fetched! What you describe sounds like a religious social club, not a church!

I would add "Well, you are a bunch of nice people." to my illustration, but I'm afraid that it would be too far-fetched! What you describe sounds like a religious social club, not a church!
That's exactly what it is, a social club. The pastors invitation at the end of his messages was literally word for word "If you're lost, come forward."

That's exactly what it is, a social club. The pastors invitation at the end of his messages was literally word for word "If you're lost, come forward."
I wouldn't object too much to the invitation, as long as, once the person has come forward, there is a proper discussion to try to ascertain the state of heart, knowledge of the gospel, etc., and to present whatever gospel truths are needed.

I wouldn't object too much to the invitation, as long as, once the person has come forward, there is a proper discussion to try to ascertain the state of heart, knowledge of the gospel, etc., and to present whatever gospel truths are needed.
I agree in a sense, but the invitation was so disconnected from anything said it was non sequitur, but, you had to be there to get it. There was never any establishing what being lost even meant, and there was no gospel preaching whatsoever.

I agree in a sense, but the invitation was so disconnected from anything said it was non sequitur, but, you had to be there to get it. There was never any establishing what being lost even meant, and there was no gospel preaching whatsoever.
Ah, that's different.

Back