Does the pronoun "him" in John 4:24 refer to "substance" ("the divine being in its unity")?

Yahchristian

God is Triune, but John 4:24 does NOT reveal this fact.

TRINITARIANS, just to clarify your doctrine...

Does the pronoun "him" in John 4:24 refer to "substance" ("the divine being in its unity")?

John 4:24 ESV... God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Catholic Catechism 252... The Church uses the term "substance" (rendered also at times by "essence" or "nature") to designate the divine being in its unity, and the term "person" or "hypostasis" to designate the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the real distinction among them.

P.S.

I do not use the term "the divine being IN its unity" because I believe there no such thing as "the divine being NOT in unity".

Here is a summary of what I believe…

The Lord Yahweh God Almighty is both transcendent and immanent. The name “God the Father” refers to Yahweh transcendent as Spirit, the name “the Spirit of God” refers to Yahweh immanent as Spirit, and the name “the Son of God” refers to Yahweh incarnate as Man.

Here is an overview of what I believe...

For this creation, the Lord Yahweh God Almighty (the only one who transcends all creation) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans for his glory where he would reign as a human himself. The Scriptures describe how Yahweh would accomplish his plan. In an instant, transcendent Yahweh (called God the Father) created the supernatural and spacetime of this universe and also became immanent in the universe as spirit (called the Spirit of God) and as a human with a glorious body (called the Son of God). God the Father then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God commanded by the Son of God (whose name is Jesus). But whereas Yahweh created a spirit and soul for each of us, Yahweh himself became the human spirit and soul of Jesus. At his conception, Jesus' glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, Jesus' mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.

Last edited:

John 4:24 ESV... God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Catholic Catechism 252... The Church uses the term "substance" (rendered also at times by "essence" or "nature") to designate the divine being in its unity, and the term "person" or "hypostasis" to designate the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the real distinction among them.

P.S.

I do not use the term "the divine being IN its unity" because I believe there no such thing as "the divine being NOT in unity".

Here is a summary of what I believe…

The Lord Yahweh God Almighty is both transcendent and immanent. The name “God the Father” refers to Yahweh transcendent as Spirit, the name “the Spirit of God” refers to Yahweh immanent as Spirit, and the name “the Son of God” refers to Yahweh incarnate as Man.

Here is an overview of what I believe...

For this creation, the Lord Yahweh God Almighty (the only one who transcends all creation) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans for his glory where he would reign as a human himself. The Scriptures describe how Yahweh would accomplish his plan. In an instant, transcendent Yahweh (called God the Father) created the supernatural and spacetime of this universe and also became immanent in the universe as spirit (called the Spirit of God) and as a human with a glorious body (called the Son of God). God the Father then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God commanded by the Son of God (whose name is Jesus). But whereas Yahweh created a spirit and soul for each of us, Yahweh himself became the human spirit and soul of Jesus. At his conception, Jesus' glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, Jesus' mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.
John 4:24 refers to God.
The Trinity is neither affirmed or denied in this verse.

John 4:24 refers to God.
The Trinity is neither affirmed or denied in this verse.

My specific question concerns the pronoun “him” in John 4:24 and the TRINITARIAN terms “the divine being in its unity” and “substance”…

My specific question concerns the pronoun “him” in John 4:24 and the TRINITARIAN terms “the divine being in its unity” and “substance”…

NOPE!. Jesus is referring to The ONE God.

NOPE!. Jesus is referring to The ONE God.

So what do you see as the distinction between “the divine being in its unity” and “the one God”?

It's a sad state of affairs when people are reduced to discussing what can be known by applying basic reading comprehension skills.

Woman, believe me, an hour is coming when neither in this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. 22 You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

Back