Happy, and meaningful life.

Since @positive atheist mentioned it, and @Algor stated he actively thinks about it....

I thought- hey! Let's open this one up, and see where it goes.

So...
Atheists...
And especially @positive atheist ...

Tell us what you think happiness and a meaningful life consists of!
I actively think this is what people should try to do IF they want to change minds. I'm content to let people believe what they believe (within broad limits), and tend to only get concerned when it affects me directly.

There are lots of answers to this, but one would be being part of a loving family.
Second this. I will add that meaning also comes from finding a way that the particulars of yourself fit with the world to help others. To seek wisdom, and share it.

There are lots of answers to this, but one would be being part of a loving family.
Ok. This thread is about elaborating on what gives you the sense that you are happy, and have a meaningful life.

Being part of a loving family is indeed one of those things.

Ok. This thread is about elaborating on what gives you the sense that you are happy, and have a meaningful life.

Being part of a loving family is indeed one of those things.
Being true to myself
Trusting myself
Thinking, speaking, and acting in accordance to my own sense of right from wrong

A sense of right from wrong defined thusly:
To consciously and purposefully inflict needless harm upon others is wrong
Anything else is, by definition, right
{or, at the very least, not wrong}

These are the things that make me happy
These are the things that make my life meaningful

The antithesis of a meaningful life?
To change one's mind to automatically agree with another's word on all things that he/she/it says matters

*It might make you happy to do so, but it robs your life of meaningfulness

Being true to myself
Trusting myself
Thinking, speaking, and acting in accordance to my own sense of right from wrong

A sense of right from wrong defined thusly:
To consciously and purposefully inflict needless harm upon others is wrong
Anything else is, by definition, right
{or, at the very least, not wrong}

These are the things that make me happy
These are the things that make my life meaningful

To change one's mind to automatically agree with another's word on all things that he/she/it says matters

So, part of what makes you happy and gives you a meaningful life is to criticize everyone who thinks the way they've found is infinitely more happiness inducing and meaningful...

Last edited:
Tell us what you think happiness and a meaningful life consists of!
On the one hand, this will be broadly the same for everyone, and atheists will differ from theists only in the absence of religion from their lives. But on the other hand, the details of what makes for happiness and fulfillment can differ significantly between individuals, and part of the wisdom that comes from age is learning to understand oneself well enough to know what will or will not lead to personal well-being.

For myself, I find happiness in my work, and in learning new things and extending myself in the activities that interest me. I'm lucky enough to have found my way into a great job that is also my primary hobby. I find satisfaction in extending and challenging myself in this area. I also enjoy both learning and teaching, and have been doing both for most of my adult life - and not just academically, but primarily in the area of martial arts. Friends and family are also a core part of a fulfilling life, and that is no different for me. Another part of what makes life meaningful is having goals that extend beyond one's self. For me, that involves volunteer work with children once a month at the local library, and helping organize a local annual event that raises money in support of local charities.

These are the things that make my life meaningful, and they do so with my full knowledge that my time here is finite and that one day it will all come to an end. I can't draw a personal comparison to a religious life, as I have never been a believer. But I can testify that there is no God-shaped hole in my life, and that I am not leading a sin-filled hedonistic lifestyle. Religion/atheism is actually all but a non-existent concern for me anywhere outside of CARM, and I come here not because atheism is important to me, but because I enjoy philosophical discussion with others who hold different beliefs to myself.

So, part of what makes you happy and gives you a meaningful life is to criticize everyone who thinks the way they've found meaningful...
No, that is not what I said, at all, Steve!

What I said is that it makes me happy to live a life in accordance with a sense of right from wrong

What makes me sad is that there are people like you who suppress their sense of right from wrong in return for an imaginary eternity

No, that is not what I said, at all, Steve!
It's actually exactly what you did.

Since you obviously missed it, let me help you.

What I said is that it makes me happy to live a life in accordance with a sense of right from wrong

What makes me sad is that there are people like you who suppress their sense of right from wrong in return for an imaginary eternity
I didn't ask you about what makes you sad.
You were however quite clear

Well, that's what a sin filled hedonist WOULD say.
There's an ancient proverb that states,
Pro 1:31 Therefore they will eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own schemes.

Pro 14:14 The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.

The God-shaped hole idea belonged to Blaise Pascal.

There's an ancient proverb that states,
Pro 1:31 Therefore they will eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own schemes.

Pro 14:14 The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.
To cultivate virtue in oneself, and in others: this is part of what makes for contentment and meaning.
The God-shaped hole idea belonged to Blaise Pascal.
It's an interesting notion.

On the one hand, this will be broadly the same for everyone, and atheists will differ from theists only in the absence of religion from their lives.
not my question, but thank you.
But on the other hand, the details of what makes for happiness and fulfillment can differ significantly between individuals, and part of the wisdom that comes from age is learning to understand oneself well enough to know what will or will not lead to personal well-being.
This is what I was referring to the other day... You're trying to encapsulate a much broader range of things than I'm interested in.

in doing my physics senior project, i wrote something that apparently bordered on a PhD paper. I handed it to the department chair and he said, while this is indeed a very good paper, i asked you for a senior paper, not a PhD. I was stunned (& disheartened), and it showed on my face. He then pointed to the really tall and wide brick wall behind him and said- you gave me the entire wall. I don't want the wall. I just want one brick.
so, go back and write a paper that's a single brick. I subsequently found it's a whole lot harder than I realized.

So, in like manner... dial it back.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the general scope of human happiness and human meaningfulness.
This is about YOU. what makes YOU happy? What gives YOU a meaningful life?
And I'd like to see the same for each and every participant.

Thank you.

For myself, I find happiness in my work, and in learning new things and extending myself in the activities that interest me. I'm lucky enough to have found my way into a great job that is also my primary hobby. I find satisfaction in extending and challenging myself in this area. I also enjoy both learning and teaching, and have been doing both for most of my adult life - and not just academically, but primarily in the area of martial arts. Friends and family are also a core part of a fulfilling life, and that is no different for me. Another part of what makes life meaningful is having goals that extend beyond one's self. For me, that involves volunteer work with children once a month at the local library, and helping organize a local annual event that raises money in support of local charities.

These are the things that make my life meaningful, and they do so with my full knowledge that my time here is finite and that one day it will all come to an end. I can't draw a personal comparison to a religious life, as I have never been a believer. But I can testify that there is no God-shaped hole in my life, and that I am not leading a sin-filled hedonistic lifestyle. Religion/atheism is actually all but a non-existent concern for me anywhere outside of CARM, and I come here not because atheism is important to me, but because I enjoy philosophical discussion with others who hold different beliefs to myself.
I underlined an emboldened the YOU parts.

This isn't about a general, broad-sweeping/stroke of the whole human experience.
Just YOURS!

I say that because if everyone starts putting out their ideas for the larger set of humanity, this will become an overwhelming, unwieldy, tedious process of reading through all the ideas.

So, if this makes sense, please pass the word along...

PERSONAL PREFERENCES ONLY!

What makes for a happy and meaningful life for YOU PERSONALLY.

Thank you.

What makes for a happy and meaningful life for YOU PERSONALLY.
Reading comprehension, Steve. I gave a very short general intro for context in my first paragraph, and then the entire second paragraph was exactly what you are asking for.

Reading comprehension, Steve. I gave a very short general intro for context in my first paragraph, and then the entire second paragraph was exactly what you are asking for.
You gave a series of broad strokes of YOUR ideas of humanity in general.
I want a YOU focused set. I noted 3, and underlined/emboldened their heading.

This is not an argument or debate. I simply ask for personal opinions about what makes YOU feel that you're achieving happiness and meaningfulness.

Back