Have You Ever Asked A Roman Catholic Why . . . . . . . . ?

RayneBeau

Have You Ever Asked A Roman Catholic Why They Have The "Mass"?
This is a very important question.
How would the majority of Roman Catholics answer it?

Well it seems no RCs have answered you question. I grew up RC and therefore we were just told it was a sacrament and it used to be a mortal sin not to go.

I've always had a strong certainty/conviction that Jesus is still miraculously with us here in life not that we can physically see Him and hear Him. For me that conviction really impels me to physically find Him and be with Him. The Mass serves that place for me. Jesus Himself gave us the way to do it and that's good enough for me. People seek that kind of communion in lots of wrong places but He gave us somewhere to go to be right there with Him. The Eucharist.

A College of holy people gave us the bible, but Jesus Himself gave us the Eucharist. That is recorded in the bible.
Rubbish. Your leaders are not holy for a start. This is false claim by RCs. Jesus never has to be resacrificed which your mass is. So you are not following Jesus at all.

The writers of the scriptures were inspired by God and they were not a college of holy people, they were holy people. They ranged from the OT times to NT times. So it would be impossible for them to be a college of holy people. This is another RC fairytale.

I've always had a strong certainty/conviction that Jesus is still miraculously with us here in life not that we can physically see Him and hear Him. For me that conviction really impels me to physically find Him and be with Him. The Mass serves that place for me. Jesus Himself gave us the way to do it and that's good enough for me. People seek that kind of communion in lots of wrong places but He gave us somewhere to go to be right there with Him. The Eucharist.
The Mass always seemed like the RCC's way of getting all Roman Catholics to come to their Mass and communion performance at the same 'meeting place' every Sunday - this was more efficient for the priests. If any Roman Catholic failed to make this Sunday meeting they were lied to by the RCC priests telling them that not attending their meetings every Sunday definately resulted in a mortal sin, and the Roman Catholic Church pompously and repeatedly declared that anyone who died with any mortal sin on their soul were in fact eternally DAMNED to Hell.

A College of holy people gave us the bible, but Jesus Himself gave us the Eucharist. That is recorded in the bible.
Christ did NOT give anything more to Roman Catholics than He did to those who believe on Him and Him alone, as taught in the Word of God.
Followers of Jesus Christ, true believers in His Word through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, aka "Protestants" have what we refer to as the Lord's Supper, which is also called the communion, which though it sesembles the Roman Catholic mass, it is not the same at all. The outward form of the RCC mass has been modified over and over again trying to make it much more similar to the Protestants communion service than it was when theRCC mass was said in Latin, but the differences in its basic meaning remain.

... the Roman Catholic Church pompously and repeatedly declared that anyone who died with any mortal sin on their soul were in fact eternally DAMNED to Hell.
So while the RCC is quite confident in declaring who will go to Hell (until they change their minds, as with Judas), they cannot tell anyone who will go to Heaven. ? Seems that their "sin of presumption" should work both ways.

The Mass always seemed like the RCC's way of getting all Roman Catholics to come to their Mass and communion performance at the same 'meeting place' every Sunday - this was more efficient for the priests. If any Roman Catholic failed to make this Sunday meeting they were lied to by the RCC priests telling them that not attending their meetings every Sunday definately resulted in a mortal sin, and the Roman Catholic Church pompously and repeatedly declared that anyone who died with any mortal sin on their soul were in fact eternally DAMNED to Hell.
As a kid, I went to Mass in obedience to my parents. As an adult I continued to go to Mass in obedience to Christ who instructed us to 'do this in memory of Me'. The faulty perception that people are there in Mass on Sunday because they're scared of being DAMNED to hell, is just a weird strawman.

What? Are you talking about the Prophets and Apostles? Or, are you talking about a Church council? Because, I'm pretty sure men like Ignatius, Polycarp, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Cyprian, Athanasius, etc. believed they had the Bible, or at least parts of it, before any council said anything on the topic. BTW, Jesus is God, and Scripture is also recognized by all Christians, Roman Catholics too, as God's Word. Therefore, even if one believes the Bible was given (recognized and codified) to us via council, it was still given by Jesus himself, along with the Father and Spirit as an act of the Triune God.

Now, if this is just a saying that sounds good while you're not actually denying God's activity in writing Scripture for his Children through the Apostles and Prophets, so be it. But, any attack, like this seems to be, on capital T Tradition should never be uttered by any Conservative Catholic. You might as well Call Mary a sinner.

God Bless

As a kid, I went to Mass in obedience to my parents. As an adult I continued to go to Mass in obedience to Christ who instructed us to 'do this in memory of Me'. The faulty perception that people are there in Mass on Sunday because they're scared of being DAMNED to hell, is just a weird strawman.

This is a fair response. Although, many who call themselves Catholics go to mass because they're scared of losing their salvation. You seem far better informed about correct Catholic doctrine on this topic.

God Bless

This is a fair response. Although, many who call themselves Catholics go to mass because they're scared of losing their salvation. You seem far better informed about correct Catholic doctrine on this topic.

God Bless
Well in my days it was a mortal sin if you did not go to mass. If you died without confessing a mortal sin we were told that meant Hell. So no salvation if you did not attend. Of course to day is the RCC lite.

From Catholic Answers:

In this age of Catholic laxity, many have lost sight of the fact that it is a grave (i.e., mortal) sin to skip Mass on Sunday or a holy day of obligation when one is able to attend.

Consequence of mortal sin - A person who dies unrepentant of the commission of mortal sin is believed to descend immediately into hell - https://www.britannica.com/topic/cardinal-sin

This was a high motive for most RCs to attend mass.

2Corinth.13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? So if Christ is in you why do you need to look elsewhere for Him?

Eating our Savior is a Catholic invention not taught in Scripture. Literal ingestion of Jesus is a Catholic construct built of a misinterpretation of Scripture. We do not enjoy the physical Presence of Jesus via literal ingestion of His flesh and blood. Jesus taught that communion is a memorial, "..do this in memory of me". In communion we commemorate what Christ did on the cross. We bring to our memory the greatest event known to mankind. When we remember we reaffirm our faith in His efficacious sacrifice.

Because it was established by Jesus and was the practice of the early church.

"They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to the prayers."

Back