Heaven and Hell: A History of the Afterlife

Chapter 2 The fear of death; Ehrman used the story of Gilgamesh to show the earliest recorded writings on the fear of death. Gilgamesh feared death and went on a quest for a plant that would give him immortality. There were some similarities to Ecclesiastes wisdom in this as well as a flood account. Ehrman used Socrates' musings about death before he took hemlock as a punishment for a crime. Socrates didn't fear death. He believed he did right in his life and would either experience a dreamless sleep or his soul would live on in a good place. meh
@5wize @The Pixie
Also... I just responded to Lucian about this, but thought it relevant here as it comes from chapter 2, so I copied it:

There are amazing parallels between the eschatology of the Sadducees and Homer’s Odyssey with its bland shadowland of Hades where all souls are treated equal regardless of lives led as with the Sadducees Sheol, and the growing concept of eternal justice of the Pharisees that began to mimic Virgil’s Aeneas where the dead were sported consciously either to Elysium Fields or the path to Tartarus and doom where trials are mentioned such as moving boulders endlessly and being subject to the lash (Apocalypse of Peter) for not having confessed their sins in life. What is even more interesting is the later epic (Aeneas) even details the dead being owed second bodies by the fates and some would return to earth after a 1000 years.

Do you at least find those parallels interesting? Not so - Meh?

Considering these cultural evolutions in thinking going on all around the earlier OT world and later NT world doesn’t lend itself to thinking these influences would be the realm of blithe thinking. Thinking that this was all some unique, isolated, new and homogeneous Jewish and Christian revelation of God seems more blithe to me.

Last edited:
Previously I mentioned that I'm reading a book about this topic.
Below is a link to it.
Hell Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents Eternal Punishment

So far it's been a very interesting, and indeed challenging read.

A point that keeps getting raised is Jesus' statements regarding the importance of escaping hell's fury.

In 3 of the gospels, or the synoptics, he makes statements about it'd be better for us to amputate body parts and enter life maimed, than to keep all our body parts and perish in hell.

The writer of the book raises the question of- if Jesus were saying that we'll cease existing, then why would he issue so dire a warning?

Another thing, in Matthew 10, when prepping the 12 for their first solo mission trek, he tells them- don't be afraid of those who kill the body but fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

They raise the issue that turning cowardly and running away isn't a viable solution to it.

So, this idea of annihilation is invalid based entirely on what Jesus says.

Previously I mentioned that I'm reading a book about this topic.
Below is a link to it.
Hell Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents Eternal Punishment

So far it's been a very interesting, and indeed challenging read.

A point that keeps getting raised is Jesus' statements regarding the importance of escaping hell's fury.
Not unique to Jesus. Old concept... 500 years too late, Jesus.
So, this idea of annihilation is invalid based entirely on what Jesus says.
Not even close... who wrote this mess?

Nope... given the plentiful mistakes and lack of knowledge on the matter so far expressed... I have much better sources for the truth of this matter.
And yet they're clearly secret, and you refuse to make them known.

Sounds like they're only better to you, because they delude you into believing that they know what they want, and not the actual truth.

@5wize, @The Pixie,

I finished chapter 3, Life After Death before there was Life after Death, a review of the afterlife in Homer's the Iliad and Odessey and Virgil's Aenaeid. Ehrman describes the pertinent parts from each that have to do with the Afterlife and points out the similarities and the aspects that have changed over time. His main take away is found on pg 55:

"It is hard to say what among the enormous changes in the political, social, and cultural worlds between seventh-century Greece and first-century Rome might have effected the shift in thinking. But it is relatively easy to see what happened in the realm of ethical thought. Equity has become an issue. Thinkers came to believe that no one can live a life of sin, hurting others, offending the gods, pursuing only self-aggrandizement, enjoying, as a result, wealth, influence, and pleasure, and then die and get away with it. No: everyone will have to face a judge. The wicked, no matter how powerful and revered in this world, will pay a price in the next. Those who have done what is right, however, will be rewarded."

I have no comments on this section except to say I wish I had a better educational foundation on the writings of the ancient world.
The next chapter is on Plato. I have read the Republic in a philosophy class.

I will say one thing from the OT which doesn't directly have to do with the afterlife, but I think it could be applied to the afterlife. We haven't gotten to what the Bible has to say on the subject so I'll leave it until we do.

Genesis 18:25 Far be it from you to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked! Far be that from you! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?

Last edited:
Also... I just responded to Lucian about this, but thought it relevant here as it comes from chapter 2, so I copied it:

There are amazing parallels between the eschatology of the Sadducees and Homer’s Odyssey with its bland shadowland of Hades where all souls are treated equal regardless of lives led as with the Sadducees Sheol, and the growing concept of eternal justice of the Pharisees that began to mimic Virgil’s Aeneas where the dead were sported consciously either to Elysium Fields or the path to Tartarus and doom where trials are mentioned such as moving boulders endlessly and being subject to the lash (Apocalypse of Peter) for not having confessed their sins in life. What is even more interesting is the later epic (Aeneas) even details the dead being owed second bodies by the fates and some would return to earth after a 1000 years.

Considering these cultural evolutions in thinking going on all around the earlier OT world and later NT world doesn’t lend itself to thinking these influences would be the realm of blithe thinking. Thinking that this was all some unique, isolated, new and homogeneous Jewish and Christian revelation of God seems more blithe to me.
I'll respond to this and #107 tomorrow.

Yeah, no so meh...

When does Erhman go over the Saducees and Pharisees views on the afterlife?

Similarities could mean many things.

If you want me to read something your write to someone else, please tag me. I am not reading all of the posts in this thread, especially the long one that are not addressed to me.

Last edited:
@5wize, @The Pixie,

I finished chapter 3, Life After Death before there was Life after Death, a review of the afterlife in Homer's the Iliad and Odessey and Virgil's Aenaeid. Ehrman describes the pertinent parts from each that have to do with the Afterlife and points out the similarities and the aspects that have changed over time. His main take away is found on pg 55:

I have no comments on this section except to say I wish I had a better educational foundation on the writings of the ancient world.
The next chapter is on Plato. I have read the Republic in a philosophy class.

I will say one thing from the OT which doesn't directly have to do with the afterlife, but I think it could be applied to the afterlife. We haven't gotten to what the Bible has to say on the subject so I'll leave it until we do.

Genesis 18:25 Far be it from you to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked! Far be that from you! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?
@The Pixie
On to chapter 4 - Will Justice Be Done?

The overall scope is obvious. The Greek philosophers, like the later pharisees juxtaposed to the sadducees, began contemplating the unfairness of an equally meted out afterlife for all, even if it was not much of an afterlife at all. Between Homer, and its differentiation of punishment and reward after death for only the worst and the best of people, and the later Aeneid that outlined the growing egalitarian sentiment that all must be judged for their lives here and end up in either Hades or Elysium, we have Plato formulating dialogues about it long before Christianity. all of this with very stark descriptions of the places, Hades and Elysium - and the pain and pleasure involved in ways reminiscent of the Apocalypse of Peter.

So how could punishment or pleasure be meted out without bodily sensation? It’s an odd dilemma. On one hand the Homeric attitude is that the body is the life, the experience, the worthwhile reality, and what is left after death is shadow. Plato comes along and turns that and says the soul, or what was deemed the shadow is the important aspect of being and the physical life is just the shadow. But yet to mete out afterlife rewards and punishments, something physical must exist. Most of the ancients thought that if a soul existed, it must have material to either punish or reward. The dilemma for Christians becomes the belief that God, the source of eternal breath, is immaterial, and the body?.... ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Here a reattachment to a (new) body becomes important. How else are we to be rewarded or punished? This process of bodily reattachment at some point in the process of final outcomes was introduced by the ancients in the previous chapter (Aeneid) and here with the mythos of a man named Er, ... so they seem to have solved it and Christianity took them up on it.

Other interesting parallels to Christian thinking:

- In the Phaedo, Socrates outlines purgatory for those folks who are not so bad... just need a little polishing up.
- Aristophanes toys with the afterlife concept of a bright and happy place where “initiates” enjoy intimate relationships with the divine, not for a life well led, but as a result of joining a mystery cult... membership and belief in the cult view is all that is required..... the rest is grace.
- Roman satirist Lucian writes of a wild journey where he and his companions take a sea cruise, like Jonah is required to do, and get swallowed by... what?.... yes, a whale.
- Epicurus the skeptic, resonates mostly with me. A believer that the essence of a person completely dissipates at death. Other than the sketchy metaphysics of Epicurus, he takes my negative view of these beliefs as bad for society at large, having people live in supernatural fear, striving for a strained pure life above that which they actually are, causing many unhealthy personal and social psychological ills and pathologies. An obvious one would be requiring priests to be celibate against the very foundation of their inescapable physical beings. A healthy engagement with life as it presents itself is the key.
- The biblical tip of the hat to the Epicurean - The book of Ecclesiastes.

I start to see where the authors of the Bible were doing much, in my mind, to include, and continue, yet make their own, like a music artist doing a cover tune in their own style, very common threads of Hellenistic thought, not direct revelations from God.

I really liked the ending epitaph of an obvious Epicurean... non fui, fui, non sum, non curo. I was not, I was, I am not, I care not.

Last edited:
@The Pixie

The overall scope is obvious. The Greek philosophers, like the later pharisees juxtaposed to the sadducees, began contemplating the unfairness of an equally meted out afterlife for all, even if it was not much of an afterlife at all. Between Homer, and its differentiation of punishment and reward after death for only the worst and the best of people, and the later Aeneid that outlined the growing egalitarian sentiment that all must be judged for their lives here and end up in either Hades or Elysium, we have Plato formulating dialogues about it long before Christianity.

So how could punishment or pleasure be meted out without bodily sensation? It’s an odd dilemma. On one hand the Homeric attitude is that the body is the life, the experience, the worthwhile reality, and what is left after death is shadow. Plato comes along and turns that and says the soul, or what was deemed the shadow is the important aspect of being and the physical life is just the shadow. But yet to mete out afterlife rewards and punishments, something physical must exist. Most of the ancients thought that if a soul existed, it must have material to either punish or reward. The dilemma for Christians becomes the belief that God, the source of eternal breath, is immaterial, and the body?.... ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Here a reattachment to a (new) body becomes important. How else are we to be rewarded or punished? This process of bodily reattachment at some point in the process of final outcomes was introduced by the ancients in the previous chapter (Aeneid) and here with the mythos of a man named Er, ... so they seem to have solved it and Christianity took them up on it.

- In the Phaedo, Socrates outlines purgatory for those folks who are not so bad... just need a little polishing up.
- Aristophanes toys with the afterlife concept of a bright and happy place where “initiates” enjoy intimate relationships with the divine, not for a life well led, but as a result of joining a mystery cult... membership and belief in the cult view is all that is required..... the rest is grace.
- Roman satirist Lucian writes of a wild journey where he and his companions take a sea cruise, like Jonah is required to do, and get swallowed by... what?.... yes, a whale.
- Epicurus the skeptic, resonates mostly with me. A believer that the essence of a person completely dissipates at death. Other than the sketchy metaphysics of Epicurus, he takes my negative view of these beliefs as bad for society at large, having people live in supernatural fear, striving for a strained pure life above that which they actually are, causing many unhealthy personal and social psychological ills and pathologies. An obvious one would be requiring priests to be celibate against the very foundation of their inescapable physical beings. A healthy engagement with life as it presents itself is the key.

I start to see where the authors of the Bible were doing much, in my mind, to include, and continue, yet make their own, like a music artist doing a cover tune in their own style, very common threads of Hellenistic thought, not direct revelations from God.

I really liked the ending epitaph of an obvious Epicurean... non fui, fui, non sum, non curo. I was not, I was, I am not, I care not.
Thanks for the summary. Just to make clear, Lucian was mocking others with his story; he was not promoting it as true and did not believe it himself. Following on from that, there is a theory that Jonah is also satirical, and was included in the Jewish canon by priests who later misunderstood it.

Thanks for the summary. Just to make clear, Lucian was mocking others with his story; he was not promoting it as true and did not believe it himself. Following on from that, there is a theory that Jonah is also satirical, and was included in the Jewish canon by priests who later misunderstood it.
Correct. Even Plato was not presenting anything as fact, preambling most thought with, “It is said”.

The idea is mainly that these were already commonly recognized, and in most cases accepted, themes for the masses that they were commenting on or satirizing.

@Caroljeen <<< chpt 4 >>>

I didn’t post to you explicitly because I instead responded to an old post. Sometimes that’s not registered in alerts, so...... just making sure you are included.

@The Pixie
I wish Erhman developed the topic of justice more in this chapter.
When I read Plato's Republic and how arrogant he was, it made me wonder if he recognized himself as godlike. In his book he was basically instructing the gods on how government and society could be structured better. Perhaps the Greek gods didn't care for interfering in the affairs of men.

The overall scope is obvious. The Greek philosophers, like the later pharisees juxtaposed to the sadducees, began contemplating the unfairness of an equally meted out afterlife for all, even if it was not much of an afterlife at all.
I don't remember Erhman comparing the Jewish sect leaders with Greek philosophers in this chapter. Why do you believe the Jews were philosophically inclined to incorporate the thoughts of other cultures? I think the apostle Paul and the other writers of the NT had disdain for the philosophies of men and were not interested in bringing in elements of other cultures.
Between Homer, and its differentiation of punishment and reward after death for only the worst and the best of people, and the later Aeneid that outlined the growing egalitarian sentiment that all must be judged for their lives here and end up in either Hades or Elysium, we have Plato formulating dialogues about it long before Christianity. all of this with very stark descriptions of the places, Hades and Elysium - and the pain and pleasure involved in ways reminiscent of the Apocalypse of Peter.
There were real concerns about the fear of death and afterlife. I think the misguidance by those philosophers who minimized the afterlife to nil were just as bad as those who described different punishments which once suffered the person was then allowed to chose what type of reincarnation they preferred. There was a wide variety of views presented about the afterlife among the Greeks and Romans.
I completely disagree with you here. I'll save it for later.
Lucian might have copied the story of the whale to use in his satire and conflated it to have the whale swallow the whole ship and not just one disobedient man. Lucian also likely copied much of the Rev 21 description of the city of gold coming down from heaven. (pg 69) Christians were easy targets in the second century CE for satires.
Most of the last part of the chapter was about those philosophers who did not believe in an afterlife...the skeptics. How much of that was caused by distasteful accounts of the afterlife with bizarre punishments inflicted for sin. The skeptics were speculating as much as the others. No one knew for sure what the after life held until Jesus was resurrected.
I don't see that at all. If Christians wanted to be like those cultures around them, why were they so hated and persecuted? I think you are missing the bigger picture.
Yep, sounds like there were atheistic philosophers around back then.

Maybe even an early evolutionists, Lucretius - On the Nature of Things. "Everything in the world, al that we experience and do not experience, is made up of atoms that have come together in chance combinations over infinite amounts of time as they run into each other in infinite reaches of space. We ourselves are the products of matter, time, and chance. As such, we will eventually dissipate as our atoms dissolve their connections. Dissolved with them will be not only our bodies, which obviously disappear eventually, but also our souls." Erhman feels Lucretius writes this to dispel the fear of death and destroy any foolish notions of life beyond the grave. I thought that was the most interesting thing I read in the entire chapter. (pg 73) It took me completely by surprise.

Overall the most interesting chapter thus far. @The Pixie

Last edited:
I don't remember Erhman comparing the Jewish sect leaders with Greek philosophers in this chapter. Why do you believe the Jews were philosophically inclined to incorporate the thoughts of other cultures?
He didn’t. The comparison is mine, but trivial to make. Sadducees did not believe in reward and punishment after death, like with the Odyssey, and the Pharisees began to believe in a world to come (the eventual Christian heaven) and resurrection of the dead as with the Aeneid.
I think the apostle Paul and the other writers of the NT had disdain for the philosophies of men and were not interested in bringing in elements of other cultures.
I disagree. Paul claimed his desire to be all things to all people. What would that mean to a Jew familiar with the Hellenization of the world he preached to?
There were real concerns about the fear of death and afterlife. I think the misguidance by those philosophers who minimized the afterlife to nil were just as bad as those who described different punishments which once suffered the person was then allowed to chose what type of reincarnation they preferred. There was a wide variety of views presented about the afterlife among the Greeks and Romans.
Yes, but at least they presented it as outstanding questions and speculations of the reality they experience. It wasn’t a holy fiat of truth from God. They were more openly speculative eschatologically, more careful with what they didn’t know for sure much unlike the religious zealotry of Judaism and Christianity.
Lucian might have copied the story of the whale to use in his satire and conflated it to have the whale swallow the whole ship and not just one disobedient man. Lucian also likely copied much of the Rev 21 description of the city of gold coming down from heaven. (pg 69) Christians were easy targets in the second century CE for satires.
What I find interesting with your assessment here, which is probably true, that you see cross cultural ideas being referenced, but only one way it would seem?
Most of the last part of the chapter was about those philosophers who did not believe in an afterlife...the skeptics. How much of that was caused by distasteful accounts of the afterlife with bizarre punishments inflicted for sin. The skeptics were speculating as much as the others. No one knew for sure what the after life held until Jesus was resurrected.
The story of Jesus’s resurrection did not settle anything, except for Christians that believed it. It only added yet another eschatology on top of the heap of many speculative eschatologies.
I don't see that at all. If Christians wanted to be like those cultures around them, why were they so hated and persecuted? I think you are missing the bigger picture.
The claim isn’t that they wanted to outwardly “be” like the hellenized world around them in the way they lived. The claim is that hellenized thought leaked into the outlines of the narratives they adopted. They weren’t persecuted for being Christians alone. Romans allowed many religious sects to exist under their expanded rule. Christians idealism just became subversive against the state in their practices, like a Ghandi type influence.
Maybe even an early evolutionists, Lucretius - On the Nature of Things. "Everything in the world, al that we experience and do not experience, is made up of atoms that have come together in chance combinations over infinite amounts of time as they run into each other in infinite reaches of space. We ourselves are the products of matter, time, and chance. As such, we will eventually dissipate as our atoms dissolve their connections. Dissolved with them will be not only our bodies, which obviously disappear eventually, but also our souls." Erhman feels Lucretius writes this to dispel the fear of death and destroy any foolish notions of life beyond the grave. I thought that was the most interesting thing I read in the entire chapter. (pg 73) It took me completely by surprise.

Overall the most interesting chapter thus far. @The Pixie

@The Pixie

The overall scope is obvious. The Greek philosophers, like the later pharisees juxtaposed to the sadducees, began contemplating the unfairness of an equally meted out afterlife for all, even if it was not much of an afterlife at all. Between Homer, and its differentiation of punishment and reward after death for only the worst and the best of people, and the later Aeneid that outlined the growing egalitarian sentiment that all must be judged for their lives here and end up in either Hades or Elysium, we have Plato formulating dialogues about it long before Christianity. all of this with very stark descriptions of the places, Hades and Elysium - and the pain and pleasure involved in ways reminiscent of the Apocalypse of Peter.

I fell behind this week. I will read both chap 4+5 this coming weekend.

Back