How do you view faith?

I was asking people to describe how they viewed faith.

I then added a second post stating that I wanted people to provide their own personal perspective on what faith is.
Provided there is agreement on a definition, sure, but when you just assume a definition, then, no. Sharing a POV is ok, but this is a forum where views are challenged, assumptions questioned, right? else we're just preaching.

My relative silence since then has been due to my having been really sick, and feeling really poorly for the past week.
Sorry to hear that SteveB hope you get well soon. If it's any consolation I stepped on a rusty nail last week, went really deep too, off to the docs for a tetanus shot.

I agree with the careful consideration, but the consulting of others, etc.. is just data gathering. So what was your personal careful consideration in accepting the Christian doctrine once you gathered the data? Is faith always "careful"?
Everyone is different when making decisions. Some people are analytical, some impulsive, some are damaged, some disillusioned, and some inexplicably make commitments.

Provided there is agreement on a definition, sure, but when you just assume a definition, then, no. Sharing a POV is ok, but this is a forum where views are challenged, assumptions questioned, right? else we're just preaching.
I wasn't looking for a consensus. I simply wanted to get some perspectives from people who have previously established that they don't believe in faith.

Sorry to hear that SteveB hope you get well soon. If it's any consolation I stepped on a rusty nail last week, went really deep too, off to the docs for a tetanus shot.
Me too. Thank you.

?
I did the rusty nail thing back in the early 70's. That was miserable. There was a new housing development going up and being the curious boy I was I was meandering around and as I was coming down the stairs I stepped on a nail. No fun to say the least!

Hope you recover quickly....
Aside from the tetanus, are you soaking your foot in Epsom saltwater?

Everyone is different when making decisions. Some people are analytical, some impulsive, some are damaged, some disillusioned, and some inexplicably make commitments.
Which one are you with regards to your Christian commitment?

As part of my own experience over the past 45 years, I've found myself struggling with the nature of faith having a primarily emotional element to it.
But getting back to Heb 11:1 - Faith must have "SUBSTANCE". Emotions don't and belief doesn't, and they're "Evidence" of NOTHING.

Mark 11:22-24 restates "Faith" as "Believe in your HEART - NOTHING DOUBTING"

And, of course there's Rom 10:17 and Gal 3:2 (The HEARING of FAITH).

Abraham "Believed God" - i.e. he believed in his HEART that if God said it to him, that settled it. God's WORD TO HIM had "Substance". Which is to say that BIBLICAL FAITH always has an element of REVELATION to it - i.e. GOD TOLD ME, and I can put my weight on that, and it'll hold me.

Emotions have nothing to do with it (although when significant stuff happens, there probably will be an "Emotional response").

God told me to pack up my life in Michigan, and move to North Texas in 1989. Since I was moving into a job where nobody I would be working with had any idea what they were doing, and they didn't have a product that made any sense, my "Emotions" could be expressed in negative numbers.

ALL I had to go on was God's WORD TO ME to join myself to a situation that made no technical sense at all. I put my weight on it, and it has held me for over 33 years, and led into some of the most valuable times in my life. Doing what I did was intellectually STUPID, but HE said to do it. So we did.

Last edited:
But getting back to Heb 11:1 - Faith must have "SUBSTANCE". Emotions don't and belief doesn't, and they're "Evidence" of NOTHING.
Agreed.

Mark 11:22-24 restates "Faith" as "Believe in your HEART - NOTHING DOUBTING"

And, of course there's Rom 10:17 and Gal 3:2 (The HEARING of FAITH).
Exceedingly important in my book....
Abraham "Believed God" - i.e. he believed in his HEART that if God said it to him, that settled it. God's WORD TO HIM had "Substance". Which is to say that BIBLICAL FAITH always has an element of REVELATION to it - i.e. GOD TOLD ME, and I can put my weight on that, and it'll hold me.
Indeed. I've found myself wondering over the years just what kind of a dynamic there was between the two of them.
Emotions have nothing to do with it (although when significant stuff happens, there probably will be an "Emotional response").
In Isaiah 26:3-4 we read

3 You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.
4 Trust in the LORD forever, For in YAH, the LORD, is everlasting strength.

So, it strikes that me that while an "emotional response" is not a necessity, it does occur, and it is often the result of believing God.

God told me to pack up my life in Michigan, and move to North Texas in 1989. Since I was moving into a job where nobody I would be working with had any idea what they were doing, and they didn't have a product that made any sense, my "Emotions" could be expressed in negative numbers.
I bet!

ALL I had to go on was God's WORD TO ME to join myself to a situation that made no technical sense at all. I put my weight on it, and it has held me for over 33 years, and led into some of the most valuable times in my life. Doing what I did was intellectually STUPID, but HE said to do it. So we did.
And by the sound of it--- God has been faithful!.

I wasn't looking for a consensus. I simply wanted to get some perspectives from people who have previously established that they don't believe in faith.

Me too. Thank you.

?
I did the rusty nail thing back in the early 70's. That was miserable. There was a new housing development going up and being the curious boy I was I was meandering around and as I was coming down the stairs I stepped on a nail. No fun to say the least!

Hope you recover quickly....
Aside from the tetanus, are you soaking your foot in Epsom saltwater?
Just used soapy water and foul language, I think the nail clean itself (mostly) as it went through my shoe. All good now.

Just used soapy water and foul language, I think the nail clean itself (mostly) as it went through my shoe. All good now.
?

I'd still encourage you to consider the tetanus shot..... and soaking it in Epsom salts.

Lock jaw can't even begin to be remotely fun.

Hope you recover quickly.

Back