Is Mary a "Savior"?

I'm just shocked by that statement! I have no words.
Honestly, I stopped being shocked years ago. Every so often I'd read some crazy post, and I have posts from the old boards that I'd say 'just when I thought I'd heard it all'. Nope, they come up with something else. Just accept that they will never stop demeaning God, the Bible, the faith. Nothing is greater than their church.

That's what you make Mary a adulterer every time you deny she is Ever Virgin.

THAT is a load of nonsense. How can having a normal married life with her lawful husband--marriage is ordained by God, remember?--and all it entails, make her an adulteress?
Catholicism is the only faith in Jesus Christ that proclaims she is Ever Virgin.

Big fat hairy deal--boasting about proclaiming something that isn't even biblical. :rolleyes: Nothing to boast about, Joe!

Now, we non-CCers proclaim what the Bible actually proclaims--that the HS overshadowed Mary, enabling her to conceive Jesus, even though she was a virgin, and remained so until after Jesus was born.
Mary can indeed be a cause (other than the first or effective cause) of salvation if she prays for your salvation. God will not refuse her.

I don't need Mary's prayers for my salvation. She is not omniscient and cannot hear anyone's prayers. But Jesus can. But I am ALREADY saved. I can pray directly to Jesus Christ, and HE will NOT refuse ME, since He bids us to come to Him, and He will give us rest for our souls.

Last edited:
I'm just shocked by that statement! I have no words.
I think he means Jesus was not alone. But He alone hung on the cross, bearing our sins on His bloodied and tortured body.

Peter, in Acts 4:11, says of Jesus that "there is NO OTHER NAME under heaven given among men by which we MUST be saved."

What part of "no other name" do Catholics not understand?

I think he means Jesus was not alone. But He alone hung on the cross, bearing our sins on His bloodied and tortured body.

Peter, in Acts 4:11, says of Jesus that "there is NO OTHER NAME under heaven given among men by which we MUST be saved."

What part of "no other name" do Catholics not understand?
It is very clear in scripture there is only one name and it is not Mary's. To point out that the Marian doctrines is not belittling the real Mary at all. We all appreciate what she must have gone through, her obedience, her love for her son, the fact that people would have gossiped about her. But it does not make her more than she is, as RCs do.

THAT is a load of nonsense. How can having a normal married life with her lawful husband--marriage is ordained by God, remember?--and all it entails, make her an adulteress?

Big fat hairy deal--boasting about proclaiming something that isn't even biblical. :rolleyes:

Now, we non-CCers proclaim what the Bible actually proclaims--that the HS overshadowed Mary, enabling her to conceive Jesus, even though she was a virgin, and remained so until after Jesus was born.

I don't need Mary's prayers for my salvation. She is not omniscient and cannot hear anyone's prayers. But Jesus can. But I am ALREADY saved. I can pray directly to Jesus Christ, and HE will NOT refuse ME, since He bids us to come to Him, and He will give us rest for our souls.
You once again hit the nail on the head.

No. Mary and Joseph never had sex. Mary WOULD be a bigamist if she and Joseph had carnal relations.

Ridiculous! Mary and God the HS were never married!

After Jesus was born, and Mary had finished her 40 days of purification, she and Joseph could have resumed a normal, married life, and joyfully raised up children together, with God's blessings, a reward for their faithfulness to His commands
What did you think I meant when I said "penultimate?"

Jesus is the ULTIMATE reason we are saved.
Jesus is the ONLY reason we are saved! "There is salvation in NO ONE ELSE..." Acts 4:11. Remember?
We are ultimately saved by Jesus alone; it does not follow that Jesus saves us alone.
What a lot of doublespeak! "There is salvation in no one else...", Acts 4:11--what part of that do you not understand?

Last edited:
If someone loves the Lord they would never say awful things about His mother.
We have NOT said anything bad about Mary at all! Show us where anyone bad-mouthed Mary on here...
Just because we refuse to pray to Mary for help, succor, salvation, mercy, etc., or ascribe powers and glory to her that rightfully belong to her Son is NOT saying awful things about her. Please discern the difference.

I would like to know where anyone on here said anything nasty about the Holy family...saying Mary and Joseph had normal relations after Jesus was born and that God blessed them with children together is hardly implying anything nasty about them!

We have NOT said anything bad about Mary at all! Show us where anyone bad-mouthed Mary on here...
Just because we refuse to pray to Mary for help, succor, salvation, mercy, etc., or ascribe powers and glory to her that rightfully belong to her Son is NOT saying awful things about her. Please discern the difference.

So? I didn't write that. Take it up with the poster who did. However, I disagree with this poster--If Jesus WAS rebuking His mother, it was a gentle rebuke. And I don't think Mary went off in a huff. I think she trusted in her Son fully to do something. And Jesus rewarded that trust.

It is very clear in scripture there is only one name and it is not Mary's. To point out that the Marian doctrines is not belittling the real Mary at all. We all appreciate what she must have gone through, her obedience, her love for her son, the fact that people would have gossiped about her. But it does not make her more than she is, as RCs do.
This is most certainly true.

Except, of course back when she and her kids thought Jesus had gone insane, and went to force Him back home, and OUT of the public eye. Up until the ressurection, Mary, and her family didn't HAVE A CLUE who Jesus even was.
Seems that Mary did not want Jesus creating perhaps a negative 'public' perception of Himself by what He did, and what He taught, and who he "hung out with." It was all a big issue for Mary and she and His brothers wanted Him to remove Himself from the crowd, or to be removed by them. Funny how Roman Catholic Mary just "loves the crowds" now, that mindlessly walk miles to an apparition site. She craves the public's full attention and can't seem to get enough ignorant people to swoon over her every word. Her "public image" is a REAL big deal with the RCC too - the bigger the Marian crowd the better they like it - it means alot of $$$$$ to them - "Bring It On Mary" clamors the RCC!

Last edited:
In Roman Catholic Mariology is defined as the study of that theology "which treats the life, role and virtues of the Blessed Mother of God" and which "demonstrates . . . her position as Co-redemptrix and Mdiatrix of all graces." Thus, Roman Catholic popes have always glorified Mary! So in light of this, it therefore prompts the question: "Is Mary a "Savior"?
NO!!!

Back