Is Sola Scriptura (being limited to only the Bible alone for everything) Biblical, logical, and practical?

... says an anonymous person on a discussion board.

Regards,

Another anonymous person on a discussion board.
Agreed.

"The sky is blue" ...says an anonymous person on a discussion board to another anonymous person on a discussion board.

they all see the founders and leaders and so called prophets and apostles as having teaching equal to the scriptures!
Maybe I could buy "founders and leaders and so called prophets" but where does scripture say it is superior to the apostles? The apostles taught before the existence of new testament scripture at least.

Maybe I could buy "founders and leaders and so called prophets" but where does scripture say it is superior to the apostles? The apostles taught before the existence of new testament scripture at least.
I am referring to the so called Apostles of the Mormons here!

I see.

So where does scripture teach sola scriptura no matter how it's defined?
the doctrine Sola Scriptura is about its hierarchy of authority.
which is writings breathed out by God are as authoritative as words spoken by God: which are more authoritative than any Church

the doctrine Sola Scriptura is true because of the the characteristics and attributes of Scripture; not because of its content.

If we only had 10 verses of Scripture (writings breathed out by God) Sola Scriptura would still be true

the doctrine Sola Scriptura is about its hierarchy of authority.
which is writings breathed out by God are as authoritative as words spoken by God: which are more authoritative than any Church

the doctrine Sola Scriptura is true because of the the characteristics and attributes of Scripture; not because of its content.

If we only had 10 verses of Scripture (writings breathed out by God) Sola Scriptura would still be true
Oh I really like this angle. Never heard this one before. SS is true not because of it's content but because if it's "characteristics and attributes". Ok ok. So it's content is irrelevant which is why there are so many denominations. The content isn't really meant to instruct us in any way as the characteristics and attributes are what make it true. So my interpretation of scripture is just as valid as yours since I got it from the same source with the same characteristics and attributes as you did. Got it.

Oh I really like this angle. Never heard this one before. SS is true not because of it's content but because if it's "characteristics and attributes". Ok ok. So it's content is irrelevant which is why there are so many denominations. The content isn't really meant to instruct us in any way as the characteristics and attributes are what make it true. So my interpretation of scripture is just as valid as yours since I got it from the same source with the same characteristics and attributes as you did. Got it.
Scripture content is NOT irrelevant; but it is not a Sola Scriptura issue
Sola Scriptura does not address interpretations:
Mankind misunderstanding God's words does not diminish His or His words authority:

Last edited:
Scripture content is NOT irrelevant; but it is not a Sola Scriptura issue
Sola Scriptura does not address interpretations:
Mankind misunderstand God's words does not diminish His or His words authority
Then if it's not irrelevant where does scripture teach sika scriptura?

Then if it's not irrelevant where does scripture teach sika scriptura?
the content is relevant , but not to Sola Scriptura (which is about the hierarchy of authority of God-breathed writings)

In the same way : There is no authority higher than the words God speaks from His Throne:
it doesn't matter what He said: or whether you understand it: those words are still the highest authority.
The written words form God and spoken words from God carry the same authority: regardless of what they are.

Last edited:
Sola Scriptura is about
hierarchy

From Catholic.com
the principle of sola scriptura ("Scripture alone"), according to the sharpest Protestant scholars, means that the Bible is the ultimate authority—above councils and popes and any tradition—but not that no commentary or tradition may be cited or utilized

from New Advent

"The [first] objective [or formal] principle proclaims the canonical Scriptures, especially the New Testament, to be the only infallible source and rule of faith and practice (not the only source)"
" Protestantism, however, by no means despises or rejects church authority as such, but only subordinates it to, and measures its value by, the Bible,"

from https://www.reformandamin.org/
The heart of the battle over Sola Scriptura is a battle over the issue of authority. Who has the right to tell people what to believe and what to do? If the Bible is inspired by God, and thereby inerrant, then it is also authoritative. In other words, the revealed commands of God in Scripture are binding on the believer. When Scripture speaks, God speaks. However, during the medieval period, the Catholic Church raised “tradition” to a place of equal authority with Scripture.

from Zondervan Academic:
Sola Scriptura declares that only Scripture is our inerrant, sufficient, and final authority for the church, because it is God breathed and divinely inspired (2 Timothy 3:16). In the sixteenth century, this directly contradicted the teachings of the Catholic Church, which elevated tradition and the Pope and magisterium’s authority to the level of Scripture itself.

from crosswalk
God's word has the highest authority for all of life. This does not mean that the Bible is clear on every issue or question we have—the Bible has little to say on how to speak Spanish or the scientific intricacies of rocket science. However, Sola Scriptura means that the Bible is the infallible Word of God, and takes supreme authority over our lives in every area it speaks to. This means that reason, logic, tradition, and experience and valid, but ultimately shall be submitted under scripture as our greatest authority

from Bible info
the Bible alone is the supreme authority for what Christians should believe and practice
etc
etc

hierarchy hierarchy hierarchy hierarchy

From Catholic.com
the principle of sola scriptura ("Scripture alone"), according to the sharpest Protestant scholars, means that the Bible is the ultimate authority—above councils and popes and any tradition—but not that no commentary or tradition may be cited or utilized

from New Advent

"The [first] objective [or formal] principle proclaims the canonical Scriptures, especially the New Testament, to be the only infallible source and rule of faith and practice (not the only source)"
" Protestantism, however, by no means despises or rejects church authority as such, but only subordinates it to, and measures its value by, the Bible,"

from https://www.reformandamin.org/
The heart of the battle over Sola Scriptura is a battle over the issue of authority. Who has the right to tell people what to believe and what to do? If the Bible is inspired by God, and thereby inerrant, then it is also authoritative. In other words, the revealed commands of God in Scripture are binding on the believer. When Scripture speaks, God speaks. However, during the medieval period, the Catholic Church raised “tradition” to a place of equal authority with Scripture.

from Zondervan Academic:
Sola Scriptura declares that only Scripture is our inerrant, sufficient, and final authority for the church, because it is God breathed and divinely inspired (2 Timothy 3:16). In the sixteenth century, this directly contradicted the teachings of the Catholic Church, which elevated tradition and the Pope and magisterium’s authority to the level of Scripture itself.

from crosswalk
God's word has the highest authority for all of life. This does not mean that the Bible is clear on every issue or question we have—the Bible has little to say on how to speak Spanish or the scientific intricacies of rocket science. However, Sola Scriptura means that the Bible is the infallible Word of God, and takes supreme authority over our lives in every area it speaks to. This means that reason, logic, tradition, and experience and valid, but ultimately shall be submitted under scripture as our greatest authority

from Bible info
the Bible alone is the supreme authority for what Christians should believe and practice
etc
etc
Where does scripture say the bible alone? Nothing you posted says the bible alone. They say the Bible is the highest authority and I agree but not the only authority. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

Where does scripture say the bible alone? Nothing you posted says the bible alone. They say the Bible is the highest authority and I agree but not the only authority. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

There is a HUGE difference
Strawman alert
Sola Scriptura does not claim to be the only authority

you actually quoted my post saying that very thing
" Protestantism, however, by no means despises or rejects church authority"
"but not that no commentary or tradition may be cited or utilized"

in addition to my previous post:
from James White:
First of all, it is not a claim that the Bible contains all knowledge. The Bible is not exhaustive in every detail. John 21:25 speaks to the fact that there are many things that Jesus said and did that are not recorded in John, or in fact in any book in the world because the whole books of the world could not contain it. But the Bible does not have to be exhaustive to function as the sole rule of faith for the Church. We do not need to know the color of Thomas’ eyes. We do not need to know the menu of each meal of the Apostolic band for the Scriptures to function as the sole rule of faith for the Church.

Secondly, it is not a denial of the Church’s authority to teach God’s truth. I Timothy 3:15 describes the Church as “the pillar and foundation of the truth.” The truth is in Jesus Christ and in His Word. The Church teaches truth and calls men to Christ and, in so doing, functions as the pillar and foundation thereof. The Church does not add revelation or rule over Scripture. The Church being the bride of Christ, listens to the Word of Christ, which is found in God-breathed Scripture.

Thirdly, it is not a denial that God’s Word has been spoken. Apostolic preaching was authoritative in and of itself. Yet, the Apostles proved their message from Scripture, as we see in Acts 17:2, and 18:28, and John commended those in Ephesus for testing those who claimed to be Apostles, Revelation 2:2. The Apostles were not afraid to demonstrate the consistency between their teaching and the Old Testament.

And, finally, sola scriptura is not a denial of the role of the Holy Spirit in guiding and enlightening the Church.

Strawman alert
Sola Scriptura does not claim to be the only authority

you actually quoted my post saying that very thing

in addition to my previous post:
from James White:
First of all, it is not a claim that the Bible contains all knowledge. The Bible is not exhaustive in every detail. John 21:25 speaks to the fact that there are many things that Jesus said and did that are not recorded in John, or in fact in any book in the world because the whole books of the world could not contain it. But the Bible does not have to be exhaustive to function as the sole rule of faith for the Church. We do not need to know the color of Thomas’ eyes. We do not need to know the menu of each meal of the Apostolic band for the Scriptures to function as the sole rule of faith for the Church.

Secondly, it is not a denial of the Church’s authority to teach God’s truth. I Timothy 3:15 describes the Church as “the pillar and foundation of the truth.” The truth is in Jesus Christ and in His Word. The Church teaches truth and calls men to Christ and, in so doing, functions as the pillar and foundation thereof. The Church does not add revelation or rule over Scripture. The Church being the bride of Christ, listens to the Word of Christ, which is found in God-breathed Scripture.

Thirdly, it is not a denial that God’s Word has been spoken. Apostolic preaching was authoritative in and of itself. Yet, the Apostles proved their message from Scripture, as we see in Acts 17:2, and 18:28, and John commended those in Ephesus for testing those who claimed to be Apostles, Revelation 2:2. The Apostles were not afraid to demonstrate the consistency between their teaching and the Old Testament.

And, finally, sola scriptura is not a denial of the role of the Holy Spirit in guiding and enlightening the Church.
Good then where does scripture say it is the final authority? Or top authority or whatever word you want to apply that doesn't upset your delicate constitution.

Good then where does scripture say it is the final authority? Or top authority or whatever word you want to apply that doesn't upset your delicate constitution.

you are in a loop
That is not a requirement for Sola Scriptura to be true:

There is no authority higher than the words God speaks from His Throne:
it doesn't matter what He said: or whether you understand it: those words are still the highest authority.
The written words form God and spoken words from God carry the same authority: regardless of what they are.

Oh I see so its assumed? Got it. I won't buy what you're selling if it's only an assumption.

The content of God's words do NOT affect the authority of God's words.

if you actual embraced characteristics and attributes of Scripture: : the truth of Sola Scriptura would be obvious

For Sola Scriptura to be false: either of these two scenarios work need to exist
1) raise the level of the Church's authority to the level of God; or
2) lower the level of authority of God's words to that of the Church

Which is it for you?

Last edited:
The content of God's words do affect the authority of God's words.

if you actual embraced characteristics and attributes of Scripture: : the truth of Sola Scriptura would be obvious

For Sola Scriptura to be false: either of these two scenarios work need to exist
1) raise the level of the Church's authority to the level of God; or
2) lower the level of authority of God's words to that of the Church

Which is it for you?
So still nothing from scripture just your word. You don't even see the position you've put yourself in do you?

Back