Isaiah 49:6

I studied it in depth. My mom first began reading me the gospels when I was five, and I studied it over the course of my life. I'm now 61, so that's a lot of studying. I find it so presumptuous that Christians simply assume that reading the New Testament is going to swing someone to be a Christian. For me, the more I studied, the LESS inclined I was to Christian beliefs. I finally left Christianity altogether.
A lot of head knowledge without the circumcision of your heart. You were hoodwinked by the enemy of your soul. Repent so that your name would be written in the Lambs Book of Life. Its the only way. Jesus said" No can come to the Father buy through Me." I speak the Truth.

A lot of head knowledge without the circumcision of your heart. You were hoodwinked by the enemy of your soul. Repent so that your name would be written in the Lambs Book of Life. Its the only way. Jesus said" No can come to the Father buy through Me." I speak the Truth.
Obedience and love of God through His commandments is the way, the truth, and the light.

It looks like you have a difficult time not making things personal and not assuming ignorance on the part of others. We are not proceeding until you've expressed some intent not to repeat this god-forsaken practice. I understand the word "literal" just fine and used it in many different ways, some of them the way Dispies use it.

But perhaps you had a hard time understanding that.
ROFL Dude, pointing out that you are having problems with the difference between literal and figuative is not "making things personal." Not everyone has an equal grasp of language -- its not personal.

You used the word temple to mean Jesus. That is a figurative usage, and you claimed it was literal. You can dance around and act all butt hurt that I pointed it out, but in the end, that fact doesn't change.

For what purpose do you participate in CARM? And in this thread?
It's a JUDAISM forum. I enjoy talking about all religion, but especially Judaism, seeing as how I'm a Jew.

Since you are not a Jew, what reason do you have for being in the Judaism forum?

Isaiah 49:6 does not mention "Jews" and the books in the Tanakh/Old Testament are neither Christian or Jewish. When the Book of Isaiah was written there was no Judaism, no Hannukah, nothing. So these arguments are baseless.

Isaiah 49:6 does not mention "Jews" and the books in the Tanakh/Old Testament are neither Christian or Jewish. When the Book of Isaiah was written there was no Judaism, no Hannukah, nothing. So these arguments are baseless.
You're not mentioned either. Neither is Ireland, Lucky Charms, nor the pot of gold.

ROFL Dude, pointing out that you are having problems with the difference between literal and figuative is not "making things personal." Not everyone has an equal grasp of language -- its not personal.
To say, "Many of those uses are not correct uses of the word 'literal,'" is a post about the post. To say, "It looks like you have a hard time understanding the difference between literal and figurative," is decidedly personal. Literally. The statement posted is also incorrect. I do not have a hard time understanding the difference between literal and figurative. The knowledge and understanding of the term's usage was demonstrated diversely in the post to make a point and any failure to recognize that and correctly understand it is not on me. In the particular case of a future temple, any inferential interpretations of verses are not a literal reading. If that is not understood then, again, the failure to understand "literal" in not on my side of this conversation.

If a conversation with me is desired then the use of "you" will be kept to a minimum, and when used purpose to do so in positive ways, not derisively judgmental and demonstrably incorrect ways.

It's a JUDAISM forum. I enjoy talking about all religion, but especially Judaism, seeing as how I'm a Jew.
That's partly correct. This is the Judaism board in a Christian forum where the express purpose of the forum is evangelically apologetic. There is no board in CARM that exists outside of that stated purpose.

"CARM stands for the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry. It was founded in October of 1995 and is one of the oldest and largest Christian Apologetics sites on the internet.... Its purpose is to equip Christians, defend the faith, and reach the lost for Jesus."​

That goes as much for the Judaism board as it does for any other board n CARM. You, a liberal Jew, have voluntarily entered a conservative evangelical internet forum that is explicitly, expressly, specifically, literally ;) intended convert you to Christ. And you telling me you're a Jew who enjoys talking about religion does not answer my question.

Since you are not a Jew, what reason do you have for being in the Judaism forum?
Shifting the onus and answering a question with a question is not an answer to me question, either.

I participate in discussion forums primarily to learn. Secondary motives are to experience the joy of cogent discourse and possibly benefit others who may learn from what little I've learned. Jewish people often have helpful knowledge of what we Christians call the "Old Testament," but there's a lot of sectarian difference within the Jewish community and many of them don't have a clue about their own scriptures. The absence of any verse in Tanah literally stating a third temple will be built is a case in point, and cogent discourse isn't likely with those prone to accusing others of cognitive deficits, especially when they don't see the problem in their own words.

So please keep personal comments out of the posts. keep the posts about the posts not the posters and answer my question. Why do you participate in CARM, and this thread in particular, given the fact the entire forum is intended to change you understanding of your own religious beliefs?

That's partly correct. This is the Judaism board in a Christian forum where the express purpose of the forum is evangelically apologetic. There is no board in CARM that exists outside of that stated purpose.

"CARM stands for the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry. It was founded in October of 1995 and is one of the oldest and largest Christian Apologetics sites on the internet.... Its purpose is to equip Christians, defend the faith, and reach the lost for Jesus."​

That goes as much for the Judaism board as it does for any other board n CARM. You, a liberal Jew, have voluntarily entered a conservative evangelical internet forum that is explicitly, expressly, specifically, literally ;) intended convert you to Christ. And you telling me you're a Jew who enjoys talking about religion does not answer my question.

Shifting the onus and answering a question with a question is not an answer to me question, either.

I participate in discussion forums primarily to learn. Secondary motives are to experience the joy of cogent discourse and possibly benefit others who may learn from what little I've learned. Jewish people often have helpful knowledge of what we Christians call the "Old Testament," but there's a lot of sectarian difference within the Jewish community and many of them don't have a clue about their own scriptures. The absence of any verse in Tanah literally stating a third temple will be built is a case in point, and cogent discourse isn't likely with those prone to accusing others of cognitive deficits, especially when they don't see the problem in their own words.

So please keep personal comments out of the posts. keep the posts about the posts not the posters and answer my question. Why do you participate in CARM, and this thread in particular, given the fact the entire forum is intended to change you understanding of your own religious beliefs?

What a boring bunch of paragraphs.

The Tanakh is written by Jews about Jews for Jews. If others want to read and be inspired, that's fine. But its our books.

Judaism is the keeping of the covenant. It goes back to Moses.

To say, "Many of those uses are not correct uses of the word 'literal,'" is a post about the post. To say, "It looks like you have a hard time understanding the difference between literal and figurative," is decidedly personal. Literally. The statement posted is also incorrect. I do not have a hard time understanding the difference between literal and figurative. The knowledge and understanding of the term's usage was demonstrated diversely in the post to make a point and any failure to recognize that and correctly understand it is not on me. In the particular case of a future temple, any inferential interpretations of verses are not a literal reading. If that is not understood then, again, the failure to understand "literal" in not on my side of this conversation.

If a conversation with me is desired then the use of "you" will be kept to a minimum, and when used purpose to do so in positive ways, not derisively judgmental and demonstrably incorrect ways.
No, if I'm analyzing what you write, that is NOT PERSONAL.

But hey, if you want to be a snowflake and take it personally, that's your perogative.

Whatever. I don't understand why some people answer with entire books. I usually do not read long posts, and if I do, I just skim. Here is a short post. I'm here because its a Judaism forum and I am a Jew.

The Tanakh is written by Jews about Jews for Jews. If others want to read and be inspired, that's fine. But its our books.

Judaism is the keeping of the covenant. It goes back to Moses.

Judaism is the religion of the Talmud and the Tanakh was not written by Polish people about Polish people for Polish.

Judaism is the religion of the Talmud and the Tanakh was not written by Polish people about Polish people for Polish.
So you agree with me, for a change. that's lovely. :)'

Again, Judaism begins with Moses. It necessarily includes the Talmud. But it existed for millenia before teh Talmud wrote down the Oral Torah.

Back