Liberal cardinal calls for revised Catholic teaching on gays

Curious what do Catholics here think about this?

it is not just a liberal Cardinal/ Archbishop

Jesuit Cardinal Jean-Claude Hollerich, who is also the Archbishop of Luxembourg and was appointed by Pope Francis as Relator General of the 2021–2023 “Synod on Synodality,”

The relator is responsible for providing a comprehensive outline of the synod’s theme at the beginning of the meeting and for summarizing the speeches of synod members before work begins on concrete proposals for the pope.

So... the Roman Catholic Church in Germany is not "in communion with" the pope? Doesn't that mean that they are not Roman Catholic? I'm puzzled, here!

The problem is that the rest of the world does NOT know that. They see a "Prince of the Church" say something, and believe he is a bona fide representative of said church. If the other "princes" don't react, the world sees them as agreeing with him! That's the way the world works.

Anyway, I'll bet a number of "good Catholics" are unaware of what you claim they know. Ask them tomorrow.

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
But I thought they were all unified???

So... the Roman Catholic Church in Germany is not "in communion with" the pope? Doesn't that mean that they are not Roman Catholic? I'm puzzled, here!

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
There are some clergy in Germany who walk on the edge, push the envelope of orthodoxy. They aren't 'teaching' it as Catholic but are agitating for change to things like male only priesthood. Married Priests and this topic regarding homosexual unions. The President of the German Conference Cardinal Marx is at his wits end with them and put in his resignation one or two years ago. Pope Francis has asked him to stay on though.

The problem is that the rest of the world does NOT know that. They see a "Prince of the Church" say something, and believe he is a bona fide representative of said church. If the other "princes" don't react, the world sees them as agreeing with him! That's the way the world works.

Anyway, I'll bet a number of "good Catholics" are unaware of what you claim they know. Ask them tomorrow.
Oh for sure people that follow such clergy know they are part of a movement of dissenters and agitators. It's a failure of humility and Catholics identifying more with social or political ends than Christian ends. Francis regularly implores us to remember humility is a fundamental virtue of a good Christian.

Francis regularly implores us to remember humility is a fundamental virtue of a good Christian.
And every one sees hypocrisy, because it's coming from one who says he's the "Vicar of Christ". GotQ says:
The term "vicar" comes from the Latin word vicarius, which means "instead of." Calling the pope the "Vicar of Christ" implies that he has the same power and authority that Christ has over the church.

From an NPR (?) article:
The pope's proper title, according to the Vatican's website, is Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Servant of the Servants of God.

Yep! Just the guy to talk about humility! And to represent the One Who said, "the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head"!

--Rich
"Esse quam videri" <<===

There are some clergy in Germany who walk on the edge, push the envelope of orthodoxy. They aren't 'teaching' it as Catholic but are agitating for change to things like male only priesthood. Married Priests and this topic regarding homosexual unions. The President of the German Conference Cardinal Marx is at his wits end with them and put in his resignation one or two years ago. Pope Francis has asked him to stay on though.

Oh for sure people that follow such clergy know they are part of a movement of dissenters and agitators. It's a failure of humility and Catholics identifying more with social or political ends than Christian ends. Francis regularly implores us to remember humility is a fundamental virtue of a good Christian.
Well understandable as some RC priests are homosexual and might like to marry.

Exactly. Which accounts for my confidence that the Church will always teach that homosexual acts are sinful, regardless of random proposals of bishops or cardinals.
So even though you have an alleged holy father and infallible leadership people still disagree with them and call for different teaching? Don't they know the pope is the vicar of christ....allegedly? How dare they disagree with the pope. My guess is the current pope would have no problem changing the teaching on same sex attraction given the chance.

From my observations, the writing is on the wall. Its only a matter of time before the Roman Catholic Church gives its official imprimatur to gay marriage.

This is just another trial balloon for the magisterium to see the response.

If you will remember a few years ago, when Homosexual Marriage was legalized here in America, Catholic then-vice president Joe Biden administered the sacrament of marriage to a group of gays and lesbians to mark the moment. He didn't get any backlash from the Magisterium on his and remained in good standing in the RCC.

From my observations, the writing is on the wall. Its only a matter of time before the Roman Catholic Church gives its official imprimatur to gay marriage.

If you will remember a few years ago, when Homosexual Marriage was legalized here in America, Catholic then-vice president Joe Biden administered the sacrament of marriage to a group of gays and lesbians to mark the moment. He didn't get any backlash from the Magisterium on his and remained in good standing in the RCC.
Biden wouldn't have administered the Catholic Sacrament of marriage. He isn't a priest and it wouldn't be valid.

The Church can never change the teaching that the Sacrament can only ever be between a man and woman.

"...administered the sacrament of marriage..." A couple administers the sacrament to themselves. A man cannot engage in this sacrament with another man and a woman cannot engage in this sacrament with another woman. So, no, Joe Biden did not administer the sacrament of marriage to anyone.

Biden wouldn't have administered the Catholic Sacrament of marriage. He isn't a priest and it wouldn't be valid.

The Church can never change the teaching that the Sacrament can only ever be between a man and woman.
So, why'd your pope not say something to Joe when they met a few months back? No, Frank was quite happy with Joey, and did not complain that he - Joe - did what supposedly only a RC priest can do. Of course, this will make any future annulments quite easy!

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

Whatever happened to the "til death do us part" phrase of the marriage vows? The RCC lawyered its way into allowing a marriage to be dissolved. How long before they come up with a reason to allow same-sex "marriages"?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

Whatever happened to the "til death do us part" phrase of the marriage vows? The RCC lawyered its way into allowing a marriage to be dissolved. How long before they come up with a reason to allow same-sex "marriages"?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
Oh they pretend that those who get annulments do not understand what that phrase meant. In my day the nuns definitely taught us what it meant.

Actually, then Vice President Biden officiated at the gay marriage between Joe and Brian at the Naval Observatory in Washington DC back in 2016. You can look it up if you like, a story was reported on it.

Oh they pretend that those who get annulments do not understand what that phrase meant.
I wonder who they think they are fooling? Their Masters know what's going on – they came up with it in the first place! The couple – unless their combined IQs are single digits – know what's happening, and God certainly knows. Who's left?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

I wonder who they think they are fooling? Their Masters know what's going on – they came up with it in the first place! The couple – unless their combined IQs are single digits – know what's happening, and God certainly knows. Who's left?

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
And Satan is having a party, rubbing his hands with glee.

Actually, then Vice President Biden officiated at the gay marriage between Joe and Brian at the Naval Observatory in Washington DC back in 2016. You can look it up if you like, a story was reported on it.
I looked it up. It seems Biden got a special permission from the State to perform this ceremony. A civil ceremony. No sacramental character.

Not seeing the much touted unity
"Bp. Schneider rejects Pope Francis’ LGBT support: Homosexual acts ‘against nature, will of God’"

Unlike Protestant denominations, the Catholic Church cannot change its teaching on morality. Various Protestant sects have, over the years, accepted birth control (it used to be illegal), divorce and remarriage, sodomy, abortion, "shacking up", and more perversions.

I read recently about the 1st lesbian bishop in one of the Lutheran denominations. LOL!

Back