Measuring Design

Maybe, but exactly how unlikely has nothing to do with the probability calculation you presented earlier.

If you want to claim it is unlikely, you need to do a different calculation. And or some reason creationists never do THAT calculation, only the straw man calculation you were trying to peddle earlier.
Unlikely and low probability are synonymous. But it's amazing to me that evolutionist's would require a mathematical falsification to a non-mathematical theory. I have provided one either way but using your prowess as self proclaimed judge, you have rejected it. Either because you don't understand it or have failed to see the ramifications of the incredibly fruitless task that random mutations is required to provide to natural selection from even such a small sequence of 100 amino acids.
You made the statement: "NS has produced no new information in vivo or in vitro."

You now seem to be tacitly admitting you have no evidence to support it. It was just you unsupported opinion.
I will admit that it is my opinion based on the fervor produced by the Lenski LTEE, the nylon eating enzymes and several others.
So then I agree that natural selection does not give information. The random mutation aspect does that.

Okay. So can you show me how your calculation models that process? I do not think it does.

And therefore you think you can simply ignore it?

I do not think God exists. Therefore I will pretend creationists claim animals just magically puffed into existence without a creator. That is clearly nonsense, and so I am justified in rejecting creationism. Good reasoning, you think?

Here is your calculationj:

The number of particles in the known universe is 10^80 (1 with 80 zeros) multiply this by the number of seconds since the big bang (i.e 14.25 billion year in seconds) and then Planck's constants (the number of events that can happen in one second), one comes up with a number of around 10^150. This is about 2^497 or rounding to 500 bits of information. So that 500 bits pre-flop (guessing the results of a 500 coin flip before flipping) is beyond the probabilistic resources of the universe. Each base pair has 4 possibilities (TAGC) or in information terms log(base 2) of 4 which is 2 bits of information per base pair. a modest 100 amino acid gene corresponds to 600 bits of information (1 codon x 3 b.p/codon x 2 bits per b.p. = 6 bits for each amino acid) mixed in with specified complexity makes this well beyond the scope of your hydrogen and oxygen comparison which is just the same molecule repeated endlessly.

Which bit is addressing natural selection? I have just re-read it, and cannot find. Am I wrong? Have I missed it?

Or have you chosen to omit it?
First off, let me state that natural selection is a perfectly viable force. It is the reason that citrus farmers can not eradicate the fruit fly population because the flies become tolerant to one poison which requires a shifting in poisons to keep the population down. However, this is not because any new information has been produced in the fruit fly. If this were so, some pre-Grad biology student would have already have examined their DNA and published the results as a great victory for evolution. Natural selection is an adaptive force designed into species to ensure their survival. We don't ignore Natural Selection in fact we proclaimed it as a great design feature but as you have admitted NS can not produce information. So what this calculation represents in the insurmountable task that random mutations needs to overcome in order to present this information to NS.
Am I wrong? Are you going to claim you do not know natural selection is part of evolution? of course not.
What I am claiming is that evolution is not a part of natural selection.

Last edited:
You are right. It goes the other way round; natural selection is a part of evolution. There are other parts of evolution as well, such as sexual selection, founder effect, random mutation, neutral drift etc.

Unlikely and low probability are synonymous. But it's amazing to me that evolutionist's would require a mathematical falsification to a non-mathematical theory. I have provided one either way but using your prowess as self proclaimed judge, you have rejected it. Either because you don't understand it or have failed to see the ramifications of the incredibly fruitless task that random mutations is required to provide to natural selection from even such a small sequence of 100 amino acids.
This paragraph is so full of nonsense, it will take some unpacking.

"Unlikely and low probability are synonymous."

Well, duh! This is just an attempt at misdirection. You claim evolution is low probability - or unlikely if you prefer - but the point is that your calculation of said probability ignores natural selection. It is not actually modelling evolution at all.

"But it's amazing to me that evolutionist's would require a mathematical falsification to a non-mathematical theory."

Where does this nonsense come from? Creationists trot out their straw man mathematical falsifications, and evolutionists respond to it.

What evolutionists require is that if you want to falsify evolution mathematically, then you do so with maths that reflects what the theory actually says. And that is quite different to what you are pretending here.

"I have provided one either way but using your prowess as self proclaimed judge, you have rejected it."

I reject the calculation you have done because it takes no account of natural selection. And I am sure you know that. Whining about me rejecting it does not help your case one bit. If you want to falsify evolution using a probability calculation then you are required to model the actual theory, and not just a bunch of bases assembling randomly from soup, because that is not evolution.

"Either because you don't understand it or have failed to see the ramifications of the incredibly fruitless task that random mutations is required to provide to natural selection from even such a small sequence of 100 amino acids."

I reject it because it does not take account of natural selection. I have pointed that out numerous times.

At this point I have to assume that you know exactly what you are doing, and your post is directed at ignorant creationists who, you are sure, will just ignore my posts. All you are doing is posturing for their benefit.

I will admit that it is my opinion based on the fervor produced by the Lenski LTEE, the nylon eating enzymes and several others.
Okay.

First off, let me state that natural selection is a perfectly viable force. It is the reason that citrus farmers can not eradicate the fruit fly population because the flies become tolerant to one poison which requires a shifting in poisons to keep the population down. However, this is not because any new information has been produced in the fruit fly. If this were so, some pre-Grad biology student would have already have examined their DNA and published the results as a great victory for evolution. Natural selection is an adaptive force designed into species to ensure their survival. We don't ignore Natural Selection in fact we proclaimed it as a great design feature but as you have admitted NS can not produce information. So what this calculation represents in the insurmountable task that random mutations needs to overcome in order to present this information to NS.
But random mutation and natural selection work in tandem.

Your strawman seems to be that all the random mutations happened first, to give a vast array of viable and non-viable organisms, and then they all fought it out in an arena, and, well, the fittest survived. That is not evolution.

Evolution is gradual, it is step-by-step.

How many random mutations were there from bacteria that could not eat nylon to bacteria that could? Just one! Not that low a probability - not when you consider how often bacteria reproduce. In fact there is evidence it has happened more than once.

One mutation that added information. Natural selection does not add information, random mutation does, and has, as the nylon-eating bacteria has shown.

No, it is the other way around. Natural selection is a part of evolution.

There are innumerable books on the subject for the lay person that show why evolutionism fails.
Wrong. There are some books or articles that attempt this, just as there are some that attempt to prove a flat earth. I'm talking about books and scholarly articles written by scientists, not kooks.

Wrong. There are some books or articles that attempt this, just as there are some that attempt to prove a flat earth. I'm talking about books and scholarly articles written by scientists, not kooks.
Oh, so all degreed creation scientist are...kooks.

I say all evolutionist are demonic.

The YEC creation scientists are kooks. The OEC creation scientists are half-kooks. The TE creation scientists are not kooks.

The kooks ignore some or all of the evidence of the world that God created; that means either God is a liar or they are kooks.

Those who are not kooks accept the evidence present in the world that God made; they accept that God does not lie.

Is your God a liar, CC?

Remember that at least some creationist "scientists" have signed up to a statement of faith that says that if evidence contradicts the Bible, ignore the evidence.

No apparent, perceived, or claimed evidence in any field of study, including science, history, and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the clear teaching of Scripture obtained by historical-grammatical interpretation. ...

So yeah, "kooks2 is the polite term.

Those who are not kooks accept the evidence present in the world that God made; they accept that God does not lie.
Yes, they see the evidence of a world wide flood and a young earth. And they're kooks for seeing the truth.

Yes, they see the evidence of a world wide flood and a young earth. And they're kooks for seeing the truth.
That is not the truth, that is an overly literal interpretation of a Bronze Age story about a large local flood.

There is enough scientific evidence for an old universe that the 6,000 young earth interpretation is obviously incorrect. It is just that your sources are lying by omission, and you believe them.

This paragraph is so full of nonsense, it will take some unpacking.

"Unlikely and low probability are synonymous."

Well, duh! This is just an attempt at misdirection. You claim evolution is low probability - or unlikely if you prefer - but the point is that your calculation of said probability ignores natural selection. It is not actually modelling evolution at all.
It does not ignore natural selection because in the information producing arena, natural selection is not a factor. NS can select the information but can not produce it. Your argument that small steps provided by random mutations can be selected by natural selection to produce a full folding protein that is functional and which has been capped off with a start and stop codon to indicate to the polymarase and ribosome a functional protein, fades away when you consider that NS does not know which why to go to produce a folding protein or when to stop when it gets there. What this calculation represents is the sheer magnitude of information required to get there and the obstacles that RMNS has to overcome.
"But it's amazing to me that evolutionist's would require a mathematical falsification to a non-mathematical theory."

Where does this nonsense come from? Creationists trot out their straw man mathematical falsifications, and evolutionists respond to it.

What evolutionists require is that if you want to falsify evolution mathematically, then you do so with maths that reflects what the theory actually says. And that is quite different to what you are pretending here.

"I have provided one either way but using your prowess as self proclaimed judge, you have rejected it."

I reject the calculation you have done because it takes no account of natural selection. And I am sure you know that. Whining about me rejecting it does not help your case one bit. If you want to falsify evolution using a probability calculation then you are required to model the actual theory, and not just a bunch of bases assembling randomly from soup, because that is not evolution.

"Either because you don't understand it or have failed to see the ramifications of the incredibly fruitless task that random mutations is required to provide to natural selection from even such a small sequence of 100 amino acids."

I reject it because it does not take account of natural selection. I have pointed that out numerous times.

At this point I have to assume that you know exactly what you are doing, and your post is directed at ignorant creationists who, you are sure, will just ignore my posts. All you are doing is posturing for their benefit.
Or maybe I am one of those ignorant creationists who believes in a Creator.
Okay.

But random mutation and natural selection work in tandem.

Your strawman seems to be that all the random mutations happened first, to give a vast array of viable and non-viable organisms, and then they all fought it out in an arena, and, well, the fittest survived. That is not evolution.

Evolution is gradual, it is step-by-step.

How many random mutations were there from bacteria that could not eat nylon to bacteria that could? Just one! Not that low a probability - not when you consider how often bacteria reproduce. In fact there is evidence it has happened more than once.

One mutation that added information. Natural selection does not add information, random mutation does, and has, as the nylon-eating bacteria has shown.

No, it is the other way around. Natural selection is a part of evolution.
"...nylonase was a variant of a pre-existing β-lactamase fold, not a novel protein fold." - Ann Gauger

"From Kato et al. (1991):

“Our studies demonstrated that among the 47 amino acids altered between the EII and EII’ proteins, a single amino acid substitution at position 181 was essential for the activity of 6-aminohexanoate-dimer hydrolase [nylonase] and substitution at position 266 enhanced the effect.”

So. This is not the story of a highly improbable frame-shift producing a new functional enzyme. This is the story of a pre-existing enzyme with a low level of promiscuous nylonase activity, which improved its activity toward nylon by first one, then another selectable mutation. In other words this is a completely plausible case of gene duplication, mutation, and selection operating on a pre-existing enzyme to improve a pre-existing low-level activity, exactly the kind of event that Meyer and Axe specifically acknowledge as a possibility, given the time and probabilistic resources available. Indeed, the origin of nylonase actually provides a nice example of the optimization of a pre-existing fold’s function, not the innovation or creation of a novel fold."

"The scientific inference would be that the bacteria developed the nylonases because those chemicals they metabolize were present in the environment. In other words, directed adaptation.

Indeed, this is precisely what researchers in the field have concluded. They hypothesize that the new metabolism capability is a stress response, an adaptation to a challenging environment. In other words, the environment influenced the adaptation. This is not a case of evolutionary change. The nylonase enzymes did not arise from a random search over sequence space until the right enzymes were luckily found and could be selected for. That would have required eons of time, and is far beyond evolution’s capability, as we have seen. Instead, cellular structures rapidly formed new enzymes, due to the environmental change." - Cornnelius Hunter

So you see that nylon-eating bacteria are a result of adaptation which I described earlier and not newly sequenced random mutations which would have required a much longer time period according to your own theory.

That is not the truth, that is an overly literal interpretation of a Bronze Age story about a large local flood.

There is enough scientific evidence for an old universe that the 6,000 young earth interpretation is obviously incorrect. It is just that your sources are lying by omission, and you believe them.
Tell that to the dinosaur with biomaterial left in their bones.

NEXT

"...nylonase was a variant of a pre-existing β-lactamase fold, not a novel protein fold." - Ann Gauger

“Our studies demonstrated that among the 47 amino acids altered between the EII and EII’ proteins, a single amino acid substitution at position 181 was essential for the activity of 6-aminohexanoate-dimer hydrolase [nylonase] and substitution at position 266 enhanced the effect.”
So a mutation changed an already existing protein to perform a new useful function. That is evolution at work. The mutation gave the protein a new function, and natural selection spread it because it was beneficial in that environment.

Thank you for providing yet more evidence for evolution.

They hypothesize that the new metabolism capability is a stress response, an adaptation to a challenging environment. In other words, the environment influenced the adaptation.
Exactly. Natural selection is highly responsive to the environment; as the environment changes, so do 'beneficial' and 'deleterious'. The ability to digest nylon is not beneficial in an environment where that chemical does not exist. It is only beneficial in an environment where it is present.

The "adaptation" you mention is down to natural selection spreading better adapted (i.e. beneficial) mutations through the population.

This is not a case of evolutionary change.
You are incorrect. A mutation changed a particular protein. This particular mutation resulted in a capability to digest nylon. Since the environment contained nylon, the mutation was beneficial and spread through the population by natural selection.

In other places, where there was no nylon, the mutation would not have been beneficial, and may have been deleterious to some degree. Under those circumstances, natural selection would not have spread it through that population.

Tell that to the dinosaur with biomaterial left in their bones.
Please indicate which Bible verse tells us how many years biomaterial can survive inside an intact bone.

In the absence of a Bible verse, all you have is fallible human knowledge.

Please indicate which Bible verse tells us how many years biomaterial can survive inside an intact bone.

In the absence of a Bible verse, all you have is fallible human knowledge.
Your answer.....we find it so it must be able to last 65+ MY's

But we do now there is biomaterial found...and just a few molecules away it isn't.

The YEC creation scientists are kooks. The OEC creation scientists are half-kooks. The TE creation scientists are not kooks.

The kooks ignore some or all of the evidence of the world that God created; that means either God is a liar or they are kooks.

Is your God a liar, CC?
What does TE stand for? What do TE creation scientists believe?

It does not ignore natural selection because in the information producing arena, natural selection is not a factor.
It does ignore natural selection.

The calculation is all those bases to assemble into the right DNA in a single go. That is NOT evolution.

What is the probability of being dealt a royal flush (the top five cards in one suit) in a game of poker? About 1 in 650. How about if I can keeping drawing a card and discarding one, for as long as I like until I get a royal flush? Now the probability is 1 in 1!

Still random cards. But - just like evolution - it is stepwise and there is a selection step in there too. And that makes a huge difference.

NS can select the information but can not produce it. Your argument that small steps provided by random mutations can be selected by natural selection to produce a full folding protein that is functional and which has been capped off with a start and stop codon to indicate to the polymarase and ribosome a functional protein, fades away when you consider that NS does not know which why to go to produce a folding protein or when to stop when it gets there. What this calculation represents is the sheer magnitude of information required to get there and the obstacles that RMNS has to overcome.
How many random mutation events have there been in four billion years? A big chunk of that time there was only single-celled organisms, with about 20 minutes a generation, and lots of them.

There is estimated to be 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 on earth (see here). If we say one random mutation per bacterium per generation, then in a billion years (that is, 20,000,000,000,000 generations), that works out to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 random mutation events. That seems a lot to me. Plenty of opportunity to randomly hit upon functional proteins - remembering that at each mutation event the bad ones are culled.

Just like in the poker example above you get to discard the card you do not like. Selection is an integral part of the process.

Or maybe I am one of those ignorant creationists who believes in a Creator.
To be frank, I am more worried you are an intelligent creationist who is deliberately spreading misinformation.

Exactly!

It was just one mutation that produced bacteria that could digest nylon. What is the probability of that? For one bacterial cell, pretty low. For the vast population of bacterial cells, over countless generations, it is pretty much a certainty. In fact the evidence suggests it has happened on four separate occasions.

Wait, this is supposed to be evidence against evolution? How does that work?

So. This is not the story of a highly improbable frame-shift producing a new functional enzyme. This is the story of a pre-existing enzyme with a low level of promiscuous nylonase activity, which improved its activity toward nylon by first one, then another selectable mutation. In other words this is a completely plausible case of gene duplication, mutation, and selection operating on a pre-existing enzyme to improve a pre-existing low-level activity, exactly the kind of event that Meyer and Axe specifically acknowledge as a possibility, given the time and probabilistic resources available. Indeed, the origin of nylonase actually provides a nice example of the optimization of a pre-existing fold’s function, not the innovation or creation of a novel fold."
Right. Evolution is action. Each step is trivial. Each step is low probability for the individual, but inevitable for the population given enough time.

A lot of steps add together to create great change. A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I guess in this case we are seeing the last step.

So what was your point?

"The scientific inference would be that the bacteria developed the nylonases because those chemicals they metabolize were present in the environment. In other words, directed adaptation.
Why is the bacteria so bad at it? The enzyme has just 2% the efficiency of a regular enzyme. That is what we might expect with evolution - it is just starting the journey to metabolising nylon. But not what we would expect if God had intervened to gift the bacteria with this new ability.

The evidence fits evolution. It does not fit creationism.

Indeed, this is precisely what researchers in the field have concluded. They hypothesize that the new metabolism capability is a stress response, an adaptation to a challenging environment. In other words, the environment influenced the adaptation. This is not a case of evolutionary change. The nylonase enzymes did not arise from a random search over sequence space until the right enzymes were luckily found and could be selected for. That would have required eons of time, and is far beyond evolution’s capability, as we have seen. Instead, cellular structures rapidly formed new enzymes, due to the environmental change." - Cornnelius Hunter
Does Hunter quote the researchers? Of course not. It is all in his head. And the article he links to is behind a paywall. I bet you have not actually read it, have you? Did you even read the abstract?

Through selective cultivation with 6-aminohexanoate linear dimer, a by-product of nylon-6 manufacture, as the sole source of carbon and nitrogen, Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO, which initially has no enzyme activity to degrade this xenobiotic compound, was successfully expanded in its metabolic ability. Two new enzyme activities, 6-aminohexanoate cyclic dimer hydrolase and 6-aminohexanoate dimer hydrolase, were detected in the adapted strains.

What this is talking about is bacteria going into hyperevolution under stress conditions. This is a known phenomenum, see here for example. The researchers that Hunter cites put the bacteria into a stress condition, the bacteria produced much more random mutations than they would otherwise, and consequently hit upon the nylonase enzymes as a random mutation.

Hunter is simply wrong when he says "The nylonase enzymes did not arise from a random search over sequence space until the right enzymes were luckily found and could be selected for. " He is relying on ignorant creations not bothering to check the facts.

You just posted "This is the story of a pre-existing enzyme with a low level of promiscuous nylonase activity, which improved its activity toward nylon by first one, then another selectable mutation." Now you want say that this would take eons!

So you see that nylon-eating bacteria are a result of adaptation which I described earlier and not newly sequenced random mutations which would have required a much longer time period according to your own theory.
Wrong. Nylon-eating bacteria is a perfect example of evolution in action.

Hence you are trying to argue that this is a trivial change to the genetic sequence, and yet also claim it "would have required eons of time, and is far beyond evolution’s capability"! The fact you you have to contradict yourself should be a warning to you that there is something awry with your claim.

Back