Minds are for believing.

Tercon

But does the Lord of the Rings Trilogy exist in reality?

Is this question too difficult for you to answer?

The piece of fiction exists, but it doesn't represent reality. Rather "the Lord of the Rings Trilogy" represents the figment of someone's imagination.

Tercon

Wrong. Belief is accepting something to be true.

Okay, then name a belief that you have that you don't believe to be true in reality?

The "in reality" that you add is unnecessary and is the source of your confusion. This may blow your mind but beliefs can be about fictional universes as well as reality. Oh, and you will note that by definition beliefs may not be true, just accepted as being true.

Again, you're still having trouble with the question. What question were you asked in post #169?

Do you understand what belief is necessary for knowledge means?

Tercon

I believe that Brazil will win the FIFA World Cup.

It's not true in reality, but I still believe it.

How can your belief be a real belief when "it's not true in reality"?

All justified true beliefs are beliefs in reality and come after the fact and not before. You are conflating your opinion or desire with belief. But in reality the truth is what makes belief occur.

Last edited:

Tiburon

All justified true beliefs are beliefs in reality and come after the fact and not before. You are conflating your opinion or desire with belief. But in reality the truth is what makes belief occur.
A belief is an idea about reality that someone holds to be the case.
They may be right or they may be wrong. If they hold to that belief then it is a real belief.
What fact do justified true beliefs come after? I thought you said belief comes first?
Beliefs occur because people believe. They usually have some reason for that belief but that reasoning may be wrong.
Some people believe the earth is flat. Does the truth make that belief occur?

TeabagSalad

The definition of belief is: an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.

So, by definition a belief does not have to be "true in reality".

All justified true beliefs are beliefs in reality and come after the fact and not before.

Not all beliefs are true and justified.

You are conflating your opinion or desire with belief.

Opinion and belief are often interchangeable. Neither need be true. For example I could express my belief that Brazil will win the world cup as "In my opinion Brazil will win the FIFA World Cup", which means more or less the same as my original statement.

But in reality the truth is what makes belief occur.

No. By definition this is wrong.

Now that I have given you the definition of the word belief, do you understand what it means and why you are wrong?

mikeT

I agree "false beliefs" don't exist in reality.
I don't believe this, and it's dishonest of you to pretend I do by "agreeing" with me.

False beliefs exist in reality, just as the Lord of the Rings trilogy does. Everyone knows this.

Tercon

What is a believing mind?

The believing mind is a faculty that manifests itself in mental phenomena like reasoning, belief, morality, consciousness, logic existence and motivation. A believing mind or mentality is usually contrasted with body, matter or physicality. A believing mind is the mode by which makes the truth and reality known to us.

Caroljeen

The believing mind is a faculty that manifests itself in mental phenomena like reasoning, belief, morality, consciousness, logic existence and motivation. A believing mind or mentality is usually contrasted with body, matter or physicality. A believing mind is the mode by which makes the truth and reality known to us.
Then every human has a believing mind except when they are asleep.

Temujin

Then every human has a believing mind except when they are asleep.
Of course. And notably every believing mind, of which there are currently 8 billion functioning examples, believes something different, if only slightly, from all the others. Interrogation of one's own believing mind is the most useless way of uncovering truth I can think of. On the contrary, challenging ones believing mind by searching for evidence of truth, refines and strengthens ones beliefs to the point of knowledge. "I believe it, therefore it's true" is a facile statement. I know that you both search for truth and do not shy away from challenging your own beliefs. It's apparent that the OP doesn't do this.

TeabagSalad

The definition of belief is: an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.

So, by definition a belief does not have to be "true in reality".

Not all beliefs are true and justified.

Opinion and belief are often interchangeable. Neither need be true. For example I could express my belief that Brazil will win the world cup as "In my opinion Brazil will win the FIFA World Cup", which means more or less the same as my original statement.

No. By definition this is wrong.

Now that I have given you the definition of the word belief, do you understand what it means and why you are wrong?
Bump for Tercon to address.