Mormons are required to earn each blessing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
In any case, I hope you've come to understand that words matter. We can't simply invent (or hi-jack) terms, and expect the world (especially our adversaries) to accept our personal definitions. If "works-based salvation" sounds like salvation is based on our works (and not Christ's work) then maybe we should be willing to give up those terms.

I'm not sure the LDS use that term--except in response to those who do use it to accuse the LDS. It isn't an LDS term.

I have asked our critics to define that term on a number of occasions--no response, as of yet.

Anyone????

It isn't just used to denote salvation is based on our works, and not Christ's--but further--IE--that one believes that any acts of obedience to Jesus Christ is required of one, in order to inherit eternal life.

The "not Christ's work" is just added for the effects it evokes. The fact is--"works-based-salvation" is a charge leveled at anyone posting scriptures which includes God extending His grace to those who obey Him.

IE--this would be a works based salvation:

Matthew 16:27---King James Version
27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

The problem with that, is--the scriptures are replete with the testimonies connecting God's grace with our obedience, when obtaining eternal life, as a personal reception.

I'm not sure the LDS use that term--except in response to those who do use it to accuse the LDS. It isn't an LDS term.
Agreed.
It isn't just used to denote salvation is based on our works, and not Christ's--but further--IE--that one believes that any acts of obedience to Jesus Christ is required of one, in order to inherit eternal life.

The "not Christ's work" is just added for the effects it evokes. The fact is--"works-based-salvation" is a charge leveled at anyone posting scriptures which includes God extending His grace to those who obey Him.
If people acts of obedience is required classified works as expressions of faith they probably wouldn't get that argument. It's basically just pulling the punch.

27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

The problem with that, is--the scriptures are replete with the testimonies connecting God's grace with our obedience, when obtaining eternal life, as a personal reception.
That's a great question for them to answer.

Chuckle, what a better place to attend to share the restoration and the first vision. I would have done the same, so there is no proof he joined, he just attended... Christ told him to JOIN no other church, never anything about attending another church... I have attended other churches for reasons of being a good neighbor and showing a open mind when invited by a friend or family member...so much for your backward reasoning...
You can try to rationalize and excuse him all you want. Glib responses (chuckle) only mean you have nothing else to say.

You can try to rationalize and excuse him all you want. Glib responses (chuckle) only mean you have nothing else to say.
Yes I do, none of this changes that Jesus is the Christ and the restoration of all things is taking place as we speak.. warning! don't miss the boat, times running out.

Russell M. Nelson, prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, warned that "time is running out" for those who have left the Church, or have not sought understanding about it?

Yes I do, none of this changes that Jesus is the Christ and the restoration of all things is taking place as we speak.. warning! don't miss the boat, times running out.

Russell M. Nelson, prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, warned that "time is running out" for those who have left the Church, or have not sought understanding about it?
Following false prophets wont get you where you think you’re going.

Following false prophets wont get you where you think you’re going.
I have done great by them, my life is in order and I have a very happy and successful family... all are healthy and active... out of 8 grand-kids, 5 have been on missions so far...

I never claimed it was the only thing I understand by the verses--only that judgment according to works is outside of your claims:

Revelation 20:13-14---King James Version
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Especially when that judgment is for life or damnation, and in accordance with one's choices:
Judgment to the second death is for UNBELIEVERS. I never said and will NOT say that believers are judged! I have shared biblical truth.

John 5:24
“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

1 John 3
"…13 So do not be surprised, brothers, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. The one who does not love remains in death. 15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that eternal life does not reside in a murderer."

Titus 3
4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

John 5:28-29----King James Version
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Those who have been saved by Christ and have His Spirit dwelling in them, belong to HIM. Do you think they are doing evil? Is it better to follow false prophets than to follow the Good Shepherd and be His sheep? We follow HIM because HE first loved us.

I have done great by them, my life is in order and I have a very happy and successful family... all are healthy and active... out of 8 grand-kids, 5 have been on missions so far...
Mormon Missionaries lure people who are unsaved to follow Joseph Smith. My unsaved, unbelieving mother raised 5 children who are or died as unbelievers.

Judgment to the second death is for UNBELIEVERS. I never said and will NOT say that believers are judged! I have shared biblical truth.

John 5:24
“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

1 John 3
"…13 So do not be surprised, brothers, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. The one who does not love remains in death. 15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that eternal life does not reside in a murderer."

Titus 3
4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

Those who have been saved by Christ and have His Spirit dwelling in them, belong to HIM. Do you think they are doing evil? Is it better to follow false prophets than to follow the Good Shepherd and be His sheep? We follow HIM because HE first loved us.
Janice - what do you think of this article regarding the Bema seat?

@Aaron32

How many Mormons disagree with your leaders' teachings?

Immortality is assured to all of us through the atonement of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. But eternal life is a personal responsibility we must earn and be worthy of.
Elder Delbert L. Stapley, The Path to Eternal Glory, Ensign, July 1973

Immortality connotes life without end. Eternal life, on the other hand, connotes quality of life — exaltation, the highest type of immortality, the kind of life enjoyed by God himself. It is in the attainment of eternal life, which man must earn in mortality, that he reaches his full potentiality.
- Marion G. Romney, of the First Presidency, at General Conference, October 1978, Ensign, November, 1978, p. 14

@Aaron32

How many Mormons disagree with your leaders' teachings?

Immortality is assured to all of us through the atonement of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. But eternal life is a personal responsibility we must earn and be worthy of.
Elder Delbert L. Stapley, The Path to Eternal Glory, Ensign, July 1973

Immortality connotes life without end. Eternal life, on the other hand, connotes quality of life — exaltation, the highest type of immortality, the kind of life enjoyed by God himself. It is in the attainment of eternal life, which man must earn in mortality, that he reaches his full potentiality.
- Marion G. Romney, of the First Presidency, at General Conference, October 1978, Ensign, November, 1978, p. 14
Is this supposed to answer my question?

I have asked our critics to define that term on a number of occasions--no response, as of yet.

Anyone????

Eternal life is not a gift in Mormonism. It is earned by human effort: obedience to the laws and ordinances of Mormonism.

The wages of sin is death. The wages of works don't grant eternal life. Good works are the result of salvation, for without Christ we can do NOTHING.

Janice - what do you think of this article regarding the Bema seat?
This is supposed to be about Mormonism, but I'll answer you anyway.

I believe we have already been judged righteous because we have all spiritual blessings in Christ:

NIV Ephesians 1:3
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

KJV Ephesians 1
3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: 4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 8Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; 9Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: 10That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: 11In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Eternal life is not a gift in Mormonism. It is earned by human effort: obedience to the laws and ordinances of Mormonism.

We have been through this several times. In the LDS church--the Atonement of Jesus was was a free gift to all men. No obedience necessary. Christ alone. That provided eternal life, as an opportunity--to all men.

Romans 5:18---King James Version
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Free gift, Janice.

The wages of sin is death. The wages of works don't grant eternal life.

It grants His grace unto life:

Acts 2:38---King James Version
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Good works are the result of salvation, .....

Romans 6:22---King James Version
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

Hebrews 10:36---King James Version
36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

You don't have to--Paul and Christ already established that:

2 Corinthians 5:10---King James Version
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

John 5:28-29---King James Version

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Mormonism is a lie.
Based on the context of the post you were replying to, isn't this the same as saying the Bible is a lie? If the Bible testifies that what we do will either condemn us or save us and then the one ought to keep the commandments or else they cannot be saved. Is that a lie?

Joseph Smith lied countless times. Here is one instance:

Doctrine and Covenants 130:3
John 14:23—The  appearing of the Father and the Son, in that verse, is a personal appearance; and the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false.
So, you're saying that Jesus Christ is not a resurrected being? That he does not have a body and flesh and Bone? Didn't the total apostles testify that he does have a body of flesh and Bone? If that's the case how can he dwell in your heart?

Absolutely everyone who obeys the Trinity has the Spirit. Those who are in the flesh can't obey the True God; they are without the Spirit.
This is funny. Apparently those who keep the commandments cannot be keeping the commandments because they don't agree with you. Is that what you're saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back