On Leaving an Atheistic Cult

I don't care about your personal beef but IIDB and any other place where atheists congregate (like the atheism subreddit) tend to be dumpster fires full of socially inadequate people with severe Dunning-Kruger syndrome. Basically they're the ones who stayed behind when most New Atheists moved on to gamergate as their online issue of choice.
I'm hoping the the IIDB is a fringe group that is not typical of atheists. They showed contempt for science, for example, which I had hoped was rare among atheists.

I find they tend to be places where atheists succinctly and persuasively make good arguments against the existence of god.
That's not IIDB. I don't recall any of them being adept at logic. I tried to explain the logic of mathematics to them, for instance, and they just couldn't get it. One guy went off in a huff blaming me for his not understanding it.
Full of friendly, thoughtful nonjudgemental people
That's not IIDB! They attacked anybody who dared to disagree with them.
You must be completely unaware of the knowledge of atheists. Research shows atheists know more about religion than any other group. They know more about christianity than most christians do.
At IIDB the atheists didn't talk much about the Bible that I'm aware of.
Most atheists I know are very knowledgeable not only about atheist issues but about many topics, current affairs, philosophy, history, physics, math, etc.
I try to be that way.
A good example would be the atheists on this website. Atheists are more likely than the average public to have a college degree.
I will need to bring up those kinds of topics, then.
You are a poor judge of people and a poor judge of character.
To be honest, I have trouble judging character, but I try to be careful.

I'm hoping the the IIDB is a fringe group that is not typical of atheists. They showed contempt for science, for example, which I had hoped was rare among atheists.
I don't see the point of coming here to whinge about the posters on IIDB.
I'm sorry if you had a bad experience over there.

Great. Then stop insulting atheists.

I find they tend to be places where atheists succinctly and persuasively make good arguments against the existence of god.

Full of friendly, thoughtful nonjudgemental people

You must be completely unaware of the knowledge of atheists. Research shows atheists know more about religion than any other group. They know more about christianity than most christians do.

Most atheists I know are very knowledgeable not only about atheist issues but about many topics, current affairs, philosophy, history, physics, math, etc. A good example would be the atheists on this website. Atheists are more likely than the average public to have a college degree.

You are a poor judge of people and a poor judge of character.

standard atheist.jpg

Most atheists - and I'm not talking about people who simply don't believe in god or aren't religious, but those who identify loudly as atheists online - are stuck at an IFLScience level understanding of science. Maybe they watched a documentary on evolution and think they're scientists now. I dunno. It's like going around patting yourself on the back for knowing that the earth is round.

are stuck at an IFLScience level understanding of science.
Let's see your evidence.
atheists....... tend to be ..........people with severe Dunning-Kruger syndrome
Let's see your evidence.
Basically they're the ones who stayed behind when most New Atheists moved on to gamergate as their online issue of choice.
I'm going out on a limb here..... no evidence of this either.

It is ironic you mention Dunning-Kruger syndrome and then go on to pontificate about atheists while you make it apparent you know very little about atheists.

Scientists are about twice as likely to be atheists as the general public. So apparently there are a lot of scientists out there who are atheists.

Most atheists - and I'm not talking about people who simply don't believe in god or aren't religious, but those who identify loudly as atheists online - are stuck at an IFLScience level understanding of science. Maybe they watched a documentary on evolution and think they're scientists now. I dunno. It's like going around patting yourself on the back for knowing that the earth is round.
I know what you mean, but the atheists at IIDB weren't just ignorant of science--they showed contempt for it. I thought I had left all that crazy-ness behind when I was a Christian.

I know what you mean, but the atheists at IIDB weren't just ignorant of science--they showed contempt for it. I thought I had left all that crazy-ness behind when I was a Christian.
What exactly was your motivation for coming here and telling us how bad the atheists at IIDB were? I don't understand your goal? Did you think we would accept you with open arms if you criticized us enough. This thread seems to be standard anti-atheist bigotry. So far here is what I learned about atheists (all of it claimed without evidence):
--Atheists cannot tolerate anybody who dares to disagree with their cherished beliefs
--Atheists resort to name-calling and cursing out those who disagree with them
--Atheists cannot come up with a sound argument for their beliefs if their lives depended on it,
--Atheists repeatedly lie and cry about anybody who doesn't believe their lies
--Atheists advocate suicide for any persons they insist are better off dead
--Atheists threaten the life of a person who openly opposes suicide and then deny the threat
--Atheists threaten to punish the person whose life was threatened if he dares to even mention the death threat
--Atheists ban anybody who opposes suicide falsely claiming that that person told them to commit suicide
--Atheists embrace fanaticism and irrationalism just like theists
--Atheists throw anyone not on board with their agenda under the wheels
--Atheists are like Christians complete with dogmas and heresies
--Atheists seem to be under the impression that emotion and passion equal logic and reason
--Atheists seem to think that the more they shout you down, scream insults at you, or call you "Homophobic" "Transphobic" or call into question your lack of a PhD in whatever area, the more correct that makes them
--Atheists have no capacity for intelligent thought
--Atheists value passion over reason and facts
--Atheists seem to be afraid of the truth
--Atheists fear god
--Any place atheists congregate is like a dumpster fire
--Atheists are socially inadequate people
--Atheists engage in the Dunning-Kruger cognitive bias
--Atheists are the ones who stayed behind when most New Atheists moved on to gamergate as their online issue of choice.

You would never get away with saying these things about other groups. Imagine if I said
--Any place blacks congregate is like a dumpster fire
--Hipanics have no capacity for intelligent thought
--Jews are socially inadequate people
--Whites repeatedly lie and cry about anybody who doesn't believe their lies

This thread is blatant anti-atheist bigotry.

You would never get away with saying these things about other groups. Imagine if I said

You can play your cards differently. Why not investigate criticisms of atheists, and then object to them if those criticisms are false? Being too defensive runs us the risk of denying the truth.

What exactly was your motivation for coming here and telling us how bad the atheists at IIDB were? I don't understand your goal? Did you think we would accept you with open arms if you criticized us enough. This thread seems to be standard anti-atheist bigotry. So far here is what I learned about atheists (all of it claimed without evidence):
--Atheists cannot tolerate anybody who dares to disagree with their cherished beliefs
--Atheists resort to name-calling and cursing out those who disagree with them
--Atheists cannot come up with a sound argument for their beliefs if their lives depended on it,
--Atheists repeatedly lie and cry about anybody who doesn't believe their lies
--Atheists advocate suicide for any persons they insist are better off dead
--Atheists threaten the life of a person who openly opposes suicide and then deny the threat
--Atheists threaten to punish the person whose life was threatened if he dares to even mention the death threat
--Atheists ban anybody who opposes suicide falsely claiming that that person told them to commit suicide
--Atheists embrace fanaticism and irrationalism just like theists
--Atheists throw anyone not on board with their agenda under the wheels
--Atheists are like Christians complete with dogmas and heresies
--Atheists seem to be under the impression that emotion and passion equal logic and reason
--Atheists seem to think that the more they shout you down, scream insults at you, or call you "Homophobic" "Transphobic" or call into question your lack of a PhD in whatever area, the more correct that makes them
--Atheists have no capacity for intelligent thought
--Atheists value passion over reason and facts
--Atheists seem to be afraid of the truth
--Atheists fear god
--Any place atheists congregate is like a dumpster fire
--Atheists are socially inadequate people
--Atheists engage in the Dunning-Kruger cognitive bias
--Atheists are the ones who stayed behind when most New Atheists moved on to gamergate as their online issue of choice.

Look at this hysterical overreaction. All I'm saying is that atheists are pseudointellectuals who wear fedoras and collect swords and can't get laid. And somehow you compare yourself to people who've been enslaved and placed in death camps?

Why not investigate criticisms of atheists, and then object to them if those criticisms are false?
How would I investigate these claims? Should I do a research project to investigate if atheists embrace fanaticism?

Being too defensive runs us the risk of denying the truth.
Accepting things without evidence runs the risk of believing in falsehoods. What was your goal in coming here and stating what the atheists at IIDB supposedly did? What were you expecting to accomplish?

Look at this hysterical overreaction.
All I did was list what others said. If there is hysteria it is on your part.
All I'm saying is that atheists are pseudointellectuals who wear fedoras and collect swords and can't get laid.
And all I'm saying is you are a despicable anti-atheist bigot.

So far you have provided not a single shred of evidence anything you say is true. I guess we can simply dismiss everything you say as baseless garbage.
And somehow you compare yourself to people who've been enslaved and placed in death camps?
And somehow you continue to progress in proving you are even more empty-headed than we thought. Atheists have been discriminated against and persecuted, had their rights taken away, jailed, and murdered, throughout history. Discrimination against atheists is still legal in many parts of the world and there are 13 countries where you can be executed for being an atheist.

How would I investigate these claims? Should I do a research project to investigate if atheists embrace fanaticism?
Just try Google. I've found information on there that exposes some online atheist groups as cults similar to religious cults. If you have trouble finding that information, then let me know, and I'll see what I can find for you.
Accepting things without evidence runs the risk of believing in falsehoods.
That's right. So look for evidence.
What was your goal in coming here and stating what the atheists at IIDB supposedly did? What were you expecting to accomplish?
My motive is irrelevant to the topic.

And you're not in any of them you big girl's blouse.
So you are only concerned with atheists being murdered if you're in the country where it's happening? Otherwise you're OK with it?

Every single thing you've said in this thread is false. Not that you've made any argument or presented any evidence. I suspect some atheist in the past gave you a good beating and you were so humiliated you can't get over it. So now you get on mommy's computer and say mean things about atheists.

Let's face it, if you could make a coherent persuasive argument you would. You can't.

I hope you are a christian. Are you? Because if you are an atheist you bring dishonor to atheism.

Last edited:
My motive is irrelevant to the topic.
I think it is extremely relevant. I am not accusing you of anything but this thread is strange. You start off by slandering atheists and atheism, and then when asked if you have any evidence what you are saying is true you tell me to Google it. What is the point of this? Why would I spend time researching whether or not atheists are cults?

Back