On WoF Boxes and errant doctrine

I read this post and you called me a critic. ???
Of course I do. We're defined by what we do. You didn't come to this forum to be constructive or to learn.

I read your book and quoted from it...I'm going to absolutely enjoy it, and can't wait to sit and just read. His part two is a discussion of the languages and it's well written.

BTW, for that, I'm grateful. You're probably the best reason I have to return to this forum regularly, Ted. I hope you get that.

Of course I do. We're defined by what we do. You didn't come to this forum to be constructive or to learn.
This is pure fantasy on your part..., right down to the name calling you often do. The hypocrisy runs deep, as you criticize and project your scenarios and conjecture on others.
I read your book and quoted from it...I'm going to absolutely enjoy it, and can't wait to sit and just read. His part two is a discussion of the languages and it's well written.
I hope you realize that I said that was a place to start... not a definitive source.
BTW, for that, I'm grateful. You're probably the best reason I have to return to this forum regularly, Ted. I hope you get that.
Sure. ?

I'm assuming, well...hoping, you actually read the definition. Gates of hell are directly translated into every single translation I have available to me that I read regularly in French, Swedish and English. Idioms cannot be directly translated...You're saying "gates of hell" is a metaphor for something that does not mean gates, and do not serve the purpose of gates to keep interlopers out and prisoners in.
"Physical gate"? Did I say physical gate?

Trying to remember what Paul taught me: "The weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty through God to the tearing down of strongholds..." Let me think...weapons...Weapons...Physical weapons? No...Real weapons? Of course they're mighty through a real God.

So...strongholds? Physical strongholds? Nope...We are "casting down imaginations and any high thing that exalts itself above the knowledge of God and bringing into captivity every thought unto the obedience of Christ.

Strongholds. Strongholds hold people captive With gates. With gates that are not seen but very real. Strongholds that cannot prevail against the church. Not an idiom, but a spiritual REALITY. Do you need chapter and verse? I can get them for you.

Yeah...no. Gates keep captives captive. The Word sets free the captive.

The seventy returned rejoicing that even the demons were obedient to them in Jesus' name. And in response Jesus said, "I saw satan fall like lightning from heaven..." People teach that as a history lesson from before the dawn of time. It wasn't. It was why Jesus sent the seventy into the lands about which satan had said, "I can give you these lands because they were given to me." Jesus foresaw the day where his dominion could not prevail and where the gates were flung open and the hostages freed. He foresaw this day. Like lightning from heaven...that's an idiom for "in the blink of an eye." It's good to know what idioms are.

I'm not in competition. It's just what I do...don't really care how it influences you to judge me. It's only a background that began in high school. I've always been drawn to language. C.S. Lewis was a "philologist". A language lover. Maybe that is less arrogant? I really don't care. I love language.
The book Ted recommended above does a better job than you do...and he differentiates between idioms, colloquialisms and METAPHORS. You're suggesting gates is an idiom for I-don't-know-what. Gates are gates. Gates do not move.

By definition it puts idiom here and you there.

OK...Interesting but non-sequitur. These are colloquialisms. Ted's Aramaic friend mentions some actual idioms that confused him when learning English: "He was fired...", which he mistook, and "He's in a jam..." which made no sense, and "Come to my baby shower..." which he refused, not wanting to be a part of a dubious ritual. These are idioms. Not "gate".

Right back in the door. That's the dictionary meaning of the term, as I cited the definition from a dictionary. It was not from my imagination.

We've been there. Remember? "Overpower" is not the correct operative translation for katichuo. "Prevail" is..."have the strength to withstand" is.
Whatever.Basic structure? Is that an idiom?

It was no ad hom. Ted and the authority he bears corroborates your claim. Why is that an ad hom? He's as right or wrong as you are.
Hey guys, have you missed me, especially you beachie? Don't answer that! I see your still getting your lunch handed to you as usual. And speaking of "idioms" the Jews have many of them and one in particular is the "son of" idiom.

For example, Son of murder (2 Kings 6:32) denotes a murder. Sons of prophets is used throughout 1 Kings 2: to declare and authenticate the fact that the sons were indeed real, honest to goodness prophets. Then there is the Son of valor, simply a brave man.

Also in the New Testament. Son of peach (Luke 10:6) refers to a peaceful person. How about "Son of perdition (John 17:12: and 2 Thess. 2:3) is the lo9st one or son of hell. This applies to Judas and the antichrist.

My favorite one is "The Son of Man" and the "Son of God" as it applies to Jesus Christ. He's the Son of man on His mothers side which makes Him human. He's the "Son of God" on His Father's side which makes Him deity/God. So if you read the trial record at Matthew 26:57-65, the high priest Caiaphas ask Jesus to swear an oath. Vs 63, "I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether (1) Are you the Christ/Messiah, and (2) the Son of God."

At Luke 22:70 Jesus said, "Yes, I am." Vs65, "Then the high priest tore his robes, saying, "He has blasphemed! What further need do we need of witnesses? Behold you have now heard the blasphemy." Now, this begs the question? Is it blasphemy to claim to be the Messiah? And is it blasphemy to be the Son of God?

Remember what the Apostle John said at John 20:30-31. "Many other signs that Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; vs31, but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is (1) the Christ/Messiah, and (2) the Son of God; and believing you might have life in His name." Amen!

IN HINN,
james

What do gates do? When has a gate ever "overpowered" anybody?
This revelation does not overpower the sentence structure. We are told that the Gates [...] shall not overpower the Church. You can't swap the subject and the object. The subject -- the doer of the overpowering -- is still the Gates [...].

Hey guys, have you missed me, especially you beachie? Don't answer that! I see your still getting your lunch handed to you as usual. And speaking of "idioms" the Jews have many of them and one in particular is the "son of" idiom.

For example, Son of murder (2 Kings 6:32) denotes a murder. Sons of prophets is used throughout 1 Kings 2: to declare and authenticate the fact that the sons were indeed real, honest to goodness prophets. Then there is the Son of valor, simply a brave man.

Also in the New Testament. Son of peach (Luke 10:6) refers to a peaceful person. How about "Son of perdition (John 17:12: and 2 Thess. 2:3) is the lo9st one or son of hell. This applies to Judas and the antichrist.

My favorite one is "The Son of Man" and the "Son of God" as it applies to Jesus Christ. He's the Son of man on His mothers side which makes Him human. He's the "Son of God" on His Father's side which makes Him deity/God. So if you read the trial record at Matthew 26:57-65, the high priest Caiaphas ask Jesus to swear an oath. Vs 63, "I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether (1) Are you the Christ/Messiah, and (2) the Son of God."

At Luke 22:70 Jesus said, "Yes, I am." Vs65, "Then the high priest tore his robes, saying, "He has blasphemed! What further need do we need of witnesses? Behold you have now heard the blasphemy." Now, this begs the question? Is it blasphemy to claim to be the Messiah? And is it blasphemy to be the Son of God?

Remember what the Apostle John said at John 20:30-31. "Many other signs that Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; vs31, but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is (1) the Christ/Messiah, and (2) the Son of God; and believing you might have life in His name." Amen!

IN HINN,
james
Good to see you, James. ?

This revelation does not overpower the sentence structure. We are told that the Gates [...] shall not overpower the Church. You can't swap the subject and the object. The subject -- the doer of the overpowering -- is still the Gates [...].
That's sooo... idiomatic. ?

I'm assuming, well...hoping, you actually read the definition. Gates of hell are directly translated into every single translation I have available to me that I read regularly in French, Swedish and English. Idioms cannot be directly translated...You're saying "gates of hell" is a metaphor for something that does not mean gates, and do not serve the purpose of gates to keep interlopers out and prisoners in.
Why do you do this? I never said "metaphor." And an idiom and a metaphor are different, not interchangeable.

"Physical gate"? Did I say physical gate?
Yeah, just now when you said "serve the purpose of gates to keep interlopers out and prisoners in."

Trying to remember what Paul taught me:
You never knew Paul. You only know you, who is badly interpreting the words of Paul.

"The weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty through God to the tearing down of strongholds..." Let me think...weapons...Weapons...Physical weapons? No...Real weapons? Of course they're mighty through a real God.
What is the antithesis of carnal? God says our weapons are not carnal. You know what? They are spiritual.

But you twist the meaning of "real" so that you can apply a quote from Corinthians to what Jesus said here. The Gates of Hell -- i.e.: the powers of death -- shall not overcome the church. Why? Because we have been given weapons of warfare? Because we have been given the armor of God? No. That's for our battles, for our defense. Jesus already said that He will build the church and He will protect it from being overpowered.

So...strongholds? Physical strongholds? Nope...We are "casting down imaginations and any high thing that exalts itself above the knowledge of God and bringing into captivity every thought unto the obedience of Christ.

Strongholds. Strongholds hold people captive With gates. With gates that are not seen but very real. Strongholds that cannot prevail against the church. Not an idiom, but a spiritual REALITY. Do you need chapter and verse? I can get them for you.
You've created a great teaching sermon for our use of our weapons of warfare. Albeit it does not give you license to change sentence structures that the Lord wrote.

Yeah...no. Gates keep captives captive. The Word sets free the captive.
Don't care about your illogical interpretation. The sentence structure of what Jesus said is still intact: The gates [...] shall not overpower....

The seventy returned rejoicing that even the demons were obedient to them in Jesus' name. And in response Jesus said, "I saw satan fall like lightning from heaven..." People teach that as a history lesson from before the dawn of time. It wasn't. It was why Jesus sent the seventy into the lands about which satan had said, "I can give you these lands because they were given to me." Jesus foresaw the day where his dominion could not prevail and where the gates were flung open and the hostages freed. He foresaw this day. Like lightning from heaven...that's an idiom for "in the blink of an eye." It's good to know what idioms are.
So Satan is not behind your gates?? He's out and about in the world. Sin and death are yet to be put away. They are not behind gates.

Yet, Jesus was not speaking of gates. He was speaking of the power of death. And he said the power of death will not overpower the church.

Ah, but here with the seventy, you give a good reason to keep our weapons of warfare (and even our armor of God, as I injected) at hand and understood.

Oh, an your last comment: yes, you should try really hard to know what idioms are.

I'm not in competition. It's just what I do...don't really care how it influences you to judge me. It's only a background that began in high school. I've always been drawn to language. C.S. Lewis was a "philologist". A language lover. Maybe that is less arrogant? I really don't care. I love language.
I'll offer that you certainly seem to be a philologist. But a love for something does not make one an expert in that something. And I do not doubt that you have a great command over the language that you use. But you, like Lewis, have a penchant for the fanciful. You seem like my old WoF pastor who so desired to come up with a manner of explaining things like no other man had, so as to achieve his own personal corner of fame. You have a way of describing things that is not shared within Christianity, and in fact is rather an eclectic collection of thoughts from others, massaged, molded and spit shined to look so interesting in their telling, yet lose their original meaning, lose their original power.

The book Ted recommended above does a better job than you do...and he differentiates between idioms, colloquialisms and METAPHORS. You're suggesting gates is an idiom for I-don't-know-what. Gates are gates. Gates do not move.
Here you go again making gates physical (even if in the spiritual realm -- for as you rightly point out, that is just as real).

But, no, widen your reading. It is "Gates of Hades" and it means the "power of death."

By definition it puts idiom here and you there.
More gibberish.

OK...Interesting but non-sequitur.
Absolutely not a non-sequitur. You made a claim; I debunked it straight out.

These are colloquialisms. Ted's Aramaic friend mentions some actual idioms that confused him when learning English: "He was fired...", which he mistook, and "He's in a jam..." which made no sense, and "Come to my baby shower..." which he refused, not wanting to be a part of a dubious ritual. These are idioms. Not "gate".
"Gate" is not the idiom. "Gates of Hades" is.

Right back in the door. That's the dictionary meaning of the term, as I cited the definition from a dictionary. It was not from my imagination.
Do we have to devolve into this mush again. I went straight to the dictionaries, Pete, to see if any DEFINED idiom in this way. They do not. One or two may use the language problem as an example of problems with idioms, but the cross-language problem is NOT the DEFINITION of the word.

We've been there. Remember? "Overpower" is not the correct operative translation for katichuo. "Prevail" is..."have the strength to withstand" is.
Whatever.
Actually the term is "prevail against." This, according to Strong's, means to overpower, to be superior in strength, to be strong to another's detriment.

None of this changes the sentence structure. You can't understand it because you can't accept "power of death." You have to change it because your "gate" doesn't make any sense whatsoever. So you have to change what Jesus said.

Basic structure? Is that an idiom?
Basic structure is that we have a subject (Gates of Hades) doing a verb (overpower) to an object (the Church). You can't change the basic sentence structure at your whim because you have a fanciful tale to tell.

It was no ad hom. Ted and the authority he bears corroborates your claim. Why is that an ad hom? He's as right or wrong as you are.
I didn't claim any authority that Ted may have. You injected it as an ad hom. You once again were poking the bear.

Oh, wow. There must be a real bear, huh?

Is that a tyfyt?

"Clever win"? Are you fantasizing collusion and conspiracy against you?

My bowels, my bowels! I am pained at my very heart; my heart maketh a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because thou hast heard, O my soul, the sound of the trumpet, the alarm of war. Jeremiah 4:19

IN HINN,
james
Huh? Trying to figure out what you're saying Jamsie...Great to see you, though. You've been missed.

Is that a tyfyt?

"Clever win"? Are you fantasizing collusion and conspiracy against you?

My bowels, my bowels! I am pained at my very heart; my heart maketh a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because thou hast heard, O my soul, the sound of the trumpet, the alarm of war. Jeremiah 4:19
No, Ted. See above. You did not come here for constructive purposes or to learn anything at all...You guys have each other for self-adulation. There is no point in continuing a discussion. A metaphor has become an idiom....and an idiom is *chuckle* idiotic.

No, Ted. See above. You did not come here for constructive purposes or to learn anything at all...You guys have each other for self-adulation.
Right. That's why a couple of posts ago you were telling me I am the reason you keep coming back and were thankful for the link I gave you. Nothing constructive there.

Your self-adulation comment is based solely in your fantasy maker, and, your hypocrisy is apparent because you've been closed to being taught.
There is no point in continuing a discussion.
In other words, that's a tyfyt.
A metaphor has become an idiom....and an idiom is *chuckle* idiotic.
Go to the one that said it... don't put it on the me. ? I didn't say that, and have been very cordial in this thread.

Next:

Nothing on Kindle...and the first review says, "I cannot find information on the author when I ordered it, when I start reading it there was a lot of weird things in it, I looked up some of the people he was quoting, and they were all Mormons. Needless to say I’m done reading it and it will go in the trash."

Unless you've got the book and a reason to recommend it by what you've read in it, I'm not as inclined this time to explore.

Right. That's why a couple of posts ago you were telling me I am the reason you keep coming back and were thankful for the link I gave you. Nothing constructive there.
I'm not sure why you have a problem with that...

I didn't come here to critique the critics but to respond to their criticism. I didn't come here to learn either, but to help you with your clear and chronic misunderstandings.

See, the difference between you and me is that my tendency to attack your theology is as rare as our discussion of the unscriptural practice of paedobaptism...and there I did learn from you, and understood your perspective better. I am not here to attack Calvin or any other view, only to serve as an apologist to a particular paradigm for biblical hermeneutics. You are here to criticize and correct that paradigm. I come here because you don't give up.

If our discussions are not constructive, the thread ends and a new one is soon to follow...mostly because of you. I start a thread very rarely. You bring good things to the table, and you keep this forum alive.

Your self-adulation comment is based solely in your fantasy maker, and, your hypocrisy is apparent because you've been closed to being taught.
Self-adulation? Because I've studied language since 1968? That's a matter of breathing and preferred focus. Facts not bragging rights. Most have not spent the time studying language. You know how few have studied the Bible to the extent you have...that's not bragging. It's just focus.

In other words, that's a tyfyt.
Sure. See you next thread.

Go to the one that said it... don't put it on the me. ? I didn't say that, and have been very cordial in this thread.
Agreed...and I appreciate you responding directly to me for a change. I've tried to be cordial as well. My gratitude is not hypocrisy, and my enjoyment of threads like this is sustained.

All the old friends have returned to say hi.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with that...

I didn't come here to critique the critics but to respond to their criticism. I didn't come here to learn either, but to help you with your clear and chronic misunderstandings.

See, the difference between you and me is that my tendency to attack your theology is as rare as our discussion of the unscriptural practice of paedobaptism...and there I did learn from you, and understood your perspective better. I am not here to attack Calvin or any other view, only to serve as an apologist to a particular paradigm for biblical hermeneutics. You are here to criticize and correct that paradigm. I come here because you don't give up.

If our discussions are not constructive, the thread ends and a new one is soon to follow...mostly because of you. I start a thread very rarely. You bring good things to the table, and you keep this forum alive.

Self-adulation? Because I've studied language since 1968? That's a matter of breathing and preferred focus. Facts not bragging rights. Most have not spent the time studying language. You know how few have studied the Bible to the extent you have...that's not bragging. It's just focus.

Sure. See you next thread.

Agreed...and I appreciate you responding directly to me for a change. I've tried to be cordial as well. My gratitude is not hypocrisy, and my enjoyment of threads like this is sustained.

All the old friends have returned to say hi.
Tyfyt

Back