Oregon passes Measure 114, one of strictest gun control measures in U.S.

Actually, there are plenty of places in this country where there is no discernible gun culture and where gun laws work. I find it odd that people have the need to own and carry deadly weapons.

Just because I saw cowboy movies as a kid does not mean I need to ride a horse to get to work.
Oregon is extremely blue and considered a liberal state. The plenty of places with no gun culture should be here? Yet this measure barely passed.

Do you mind my asking what part you find objectionable?
Is it that the background check has to be completed before the sale goes through?
That is already required and much to do about nothing if and when it takes OSP more than 3 days to run the background check.
I find this to be a prudent measure.
It's imprudent, in that, there is no system established to enforce this measure. As shown, LE is not able to facilitate such requirements. Those who created this measure knew this and applauded the fact the measure will stop gun purchases in Oregon and given there is no system developed, let alone established and implemented, it will be zero gun sales in the foreseeable future. This only hurts lawful gun owners, not the criminal who has access to weapons thru their criminal activities. It's essentially abrogation of the 2A.
Is it requiring a permit after taking a safety course?
LE cannot facilitate this requirement.
So long as it is not required at every sale, I again find this to be a prudent measure.
It is required at every sale and yet, there will be no sales as I pointed out above.
I don't know enough about the safety issues around the magazine size to weigh in here, but I can see it as a legitimate objection.
The magazine is another facet of the liberal attack on gun ownership.
Anyone with a concern, please feel free to weigh in.
Take my comments for what they are worth. I live in this state and therefore have a dog in this fight.

That is already required and much to do about nothing if and when it takes OSP more than 3 days to run the background check.

It's imprudent, in that, there is no system established to enforce this measure. As shown, LE is not able to facilitate such requirements. Those who created this measure knew this and applauded the fact the measure will stop gun purchases in Oregon and given there is no system developed, let alone established and implemented, it will be zero gun sales in the foreseeable future. This only hurts lawful gun owners, not the criminal who has access to weapons thru their criminal activities. It's essentially abrogation of the 2A.
LE is not able to facilitate such requirements? They are already doing so. All this portion of the measure requires is that the background check be completed.
LE cannot facilitate this requirement.

It is required at every sale and yet, there will be no sales as I pointed out above.
The measure states the permit would be for five years. I did not see where it says it would be required for every sale.
The magazine is another facet of the liberal attack on gun ownership.
As I said, I have no idea if magazine size is a true safety issue, unlike requiring safety training. While it may not prevent gun violence, a safety course can easily prevent a gun tragedy.
Take my comments for what they are worth. I live in this state and therefore have a dog in this fight.

LE is not able to facilitate such requirements? They are already doing so. All this portion of the measure requires is that the background check be completed.
Under Measure 114, Oregonians would have to
undergo safety training on storage, firearm abuse prevention, hands-on training and pass a background check to obtain a permit. Your ideology is showing...all this training must be accomplished by LE. Amongst all their other duties, how do they facilitate and accomplish this? As I stated and you ignored there is no system to accomplish all these requirements.
The measure states the permit would be for five years. I did not see where it says it would be required for every sale.

As I said, I have no idea if magazine size is a true safety issue, unlike requiring safety training. While it may not prevent gun violence, a safety course can easily prevent a gun tragedy.
Right, just as drivers ed prevents car crashes and fatalities...

Last edited:
Under Measure 114, Oregonians would have to
undergo safety training on storage, firearm abuse prevention, hands-on training and pass a background check to obtain a permit. Your ideology is showing...all this training must be accomplished by LE. Amongst all their other duties, how do they facilitate and accomplish this? As I stated and you ignored there is no system to accomplish all these requirements.
The background checks are already being done. The only difference now would be the time permitted to complete the check. That system is in place.

As to the safety course, you are correct that there is no system in place yet. The basics, however, have been around for quite some time. I am assuming that there are both public and private courses on gun safety available already. While implementing the law will require new resources, the logistics for implementing it are well known.
Right, just as drivers ed prevents car crashes and fatalities...
I did say a gun tragedy, not all. How many is unforeseeable and may even be zero. I am willing to bet, however, that someone who takes the course is going to be less likely to have an accident cleaning their gun.

The background checks are already being done. The only difference now would be the time permitted to complete the check. That system is in place.
It is. I have gone through it and it didn't take 3 days for my background to clear, in fact, I've not heard of anyone waiting longer than that, of course, that could have happened.
As to the safety course, you are correct that there is no system in place yet. The basics, however, have been around for quite some time. I am assuming that there are both public and private courses on gun safety available already. While implementing the law will require new resources, the logistics for implementing it are well known.
Afaik LE will be responsible for the training and safety course, to include the live fire. I'm just not sure how that is going to happen given LE is already spread very thin and with the defund police ideology still having traction it just creates more of an issue for them. Knowing the logistics of something does not mean it's reachable. If that were the case we would be on Mars already.
I did say a gun tragedy, not all. How many is unforeseeable and may even be zero. I am willing to bet, however, that someone who takes the course is going to be less likely to have an accident cleaning their gun.
The handling of handguns, safely, is not something that can be fully trained in a class. As a retired Army Senior Non-Com training in safety, weapon use, and any other skill set takes a great deal of time and one class with retention of materials is questionable when it is a forced requirement to exercise our rights...this measure is a pipe dream for the anti-gun, liberal idealogues and is seen, correctly, as an active abrogation of our rights. I have heard there are already lawsuits prepared and I don't believe we will see this measure ever be enforced. Thankfully.

The above headline is misleading.."Oregon" did not pass this measure. Democrats, liberals, anti-gun activists and anti-rights activists did. There is no system set up to facilitate this new measure, as in no State Police or Sheriff department has the infrastructure created to do so. As usual with these types of ideological measures, those who created and supported this measure put the cart before the horse.

It will be challenged and over turned by the Supreme Court as the unconstitutional garbage it is.

Do you mind my asking what part you find objectionable?
Is it that the background check has to be completed before the sale goes through? I find this to be a prudent measure.
Is it requiring a permit after taking a safety course? So long as it is not required at every sale, I again find this to be a prudent measure.
I don't know enough about the safety issues around the magazine size to weigh in here, but I can see it as a legitimate objection.

Anyone with a concern, please feel free to weigh in.
As has already been pointed out, obtaining a firearm of just about any kind is not a problem, and these laws will not prevent the criminal element from obtaining whatever they please. All this does it identify those who are law abiding citizens and makes it that much easier to disarm them when guns are outlawed.

Some states don't allow people to grow produce in their yards. Then there are states that ask that those who do have a vegetable garden to identify themselves. The premise is some sort of way to unify the community, but when they outlaw growing vegetables like other states have already done, it makes it that much easier to seek out those who are growing them, cite them, fine them, etc. etc.

As to the safety course, you are correct that there is no system in place yet. The basics, however, have been around for quite some time. I am assuming that there are both public and private courses on gun safety available already.
It should go without saying that those private entities that provide these courses are 100% this new law. Would it surprise anyone if their lobbyists wrote the law?

It is. I have gone through it and it didn't take 3 days for my background to clear, in fact, I've not heard of anyone waiting longer than that, of course, that could have happened.

Afaik LE will be responsible for the training and safety course, to include the live fire. I'm just not sure how that is going to happen given LE is already spread very thin and with the defund police ideology still having traction it just creates more of an issue for them. Knowing the logistics of something does not mean it's reachable. If that were the case we would be on Mars already.
A bit apples and oranges there, but not a horrible analogy.
If the trainers are not specified in the measure, I'm guessing that issue could be covered by a public/private collaboration. I didn't see anything in the measure that says any government agency must teach the course.
The handling of handguns, safely, is not something that can be fully trained in a class. As a retired Army Senior Non-Com training in safety, weapon use, and any other skill set takes a great deal of time and one class with retention of materials is questionable when it is a forced requirement to exercise our rights...this measure is a pipe dream for the anti-gun, liberal idealogues and is seen, correctly, as an active abrogation of our rights. I have heard there are already lawsuits prepared and I don't believe we will see this measure ever be enforced. Thankfully.

The above headline is misleading.."Oregon" did not pass this measure. Democrats, liberals, anti-gun activists and anti-rights activists did. There is no system set up to facilitate this new measure, as in no State Police or Sheriff department has the infrastructure created to do so. As usual with these types of ideological measures, those who created and supported this measure put the cart before the horse.
Unconstitutional under the 2A and Bruen.

Perhaps bidens's "No amendment is absolute" is the catalyst...who knows. He's truly a buffoon but our church prays for his soul and all the elected officials of this once great nation.
It does not matter - the SCOUTUS has ruled - unders atheolib rules its now "settled law".

Back