Repetitive Prayer

ziapueblo

@A new day

Good morning, I hope it is ok that I tagged you on this thread. What is your opinion on when "praying do not heap up empty phrases (vain repetition) as the Gentiles do"?

Good morning,
A belated, Good morning to you too :)

I hope it is ok that I tagged you on this thread.

No problem.

What is your opinion on when "praying do not heap up empty phrases (vain repetition) as the Gentiles do"?

Matthew 6:7
And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

Our emotions, thoughts, and desires, worries and cares are all communicated through speech. No one talks to family, friends, neighbors or to someone on the internet; using a fixed set of words right? Or repeats another person's words verbatim. Who talks to others like that?

Prayer is conversing with God. It is also worshiping Him and fellowshiping with Him. It is simply talking to God from the heart. We praise God in prayer, we thank Him in prayer. We tell Him how much we love Him in prayer. Prayer should be an enjoyable time in which we tell Him what's going on in our lives and bask in fellowship with Him.

There is nothing wrong with reciting the Psalms or the Lords prayer, but Jesus' warning here, is that we are to take care of not to falling into empty and meaningless repetition. Jesus did not intend for us to repeat the prayer verbatim over and over. Droning on, and on, But gave an outline and pattern for us to follow.

The conversation here brought to mind the hymn "What a friend, we have in Jesus" which originally was a letter penned by Joseph Scriven in the 1800's to His mother. Later it was published as a hymn. The song, reminds me of what prayer should be and its meaning and necessity.

What a friend we have in Jesus

What a friend we have in Jesus, All our sins and griefs to bear! What a privilege to carry Everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear, All because we do not carry Everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere? We should never be discouraged; Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful Who will all our sorrows share? Jesus knows our every weakness; Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, Cumbered with a load of care? Precious Savior, still our refuge, Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer! In His arms He’ll take and shield you; You will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear May we ever, Lord, be bringing All to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded There will be no need for prayer Rapture, praise and endless worship Will be our sweet portion there.

(Permission to post the above hymn, has been given here,

A belated, Good morning to you too :)
Thanks for the response :)

Our emotions, thoughts, and desires, worries and cares are all communicated through speech. No one talks to family, friends, neighbors or to someone on the internet; using a fixed set of words right? Or repeats another person's words verbatim. Who talks to others like that?
You are correct. Conversations with others are not used using fixed words all the time. There are times when it is necessary though. I think about my job as a Dean of Students at a school. If I have to call a parent, whether it be because of unacceptable behavior or to let a parent know about the wonderful things there child is doing, I use a fixed set of words. I actually have written out the way in which I begin a conversation with a parent: "Hello, this is Mr. Dunham, Dean of Students at . . . I just want to say that your child . . . (something positive about them) however, he/she mad a choice that was a choice that goes against what the expected behavior in the school which was . . . and so on and so forth. I think this is typical for most places of work. I feel that when in conversation with friends or family, we do not have a fixed set of words every time we speak with them but we probably often follow a particular pattern of conversation.
Prayer is conversing with God. It is also worshiping Him and fellowshiping with Him. It is simply talking to God from the heart. We praise God in prayer, we thank Him in prayer. We tell Him how much we love Him in prayer. Prayer should be an enjoyable time in which we tell Him what's going on in our lives and bask in fellowship with Him.
The Orthodox agree with you 100% and there is room for spontaneous prayer in the Orthodox faith. I imagine this is what much of practicing Orthodox do during prayer whether it be giving thanks, when in sorrow or what ever is on the heart of the individual.

When it comes to recited prayer in the Orthodox Church such as the Trisagion Prayer (which is how most prayer services and personal prayer begins):

Glory to You our God, and our Hope, glory to You.
Heavenly King, Comforter, the Spirit of truth, Who are everywhere present and Who fills all things, the Treasury of good things and Giver of life; come and abide in us and cleanse us from every stain: and save our souls, O good One. Amen
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us. (3 times)
Glory to the Father, and to the Sone, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.
Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.
Our Father . . .

and then we pray what is in our hearts (for others, our country, family, etc.), continuing our conversation with God after the wonderfully written and mostly memorized ancient prayer (the Trisagion prayer).

From the Orthodox perspective, recited prayers do not take away from spontaneous prayer but lead us into it. There are many beautiful prayers written by the Church and we continue to use them because of what is in them (worship, thanksgiving, etc.).

There is nothing wrong with reciting the Psalms or the Lords prayer, but Jesus' warning here, is that we are to take care of not to falling into empty and meaningless repetition. Jesus did not intend for us to repeat the prayer verbatim over and over. Droning on, and on, But gave an outline and pattern for us to follow.
Orthodox agree 100% and as you mentioned, what Jesus is warning us is "falling into empty and meaningless repetition" as the pagans/Gentiles did. I think any kind of prayer has the potential to be "empty and meaningless." Christ taught His Apostles the pray the Lords prayer, which is a recited prayer. It is also a model that is used in much of the prayers of the Orthodox faith.

What a friend we have in Jesus

What a friend we have in Jesus, All our sins and griefs to bear! What a privilege to carry Everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear, All because we do not carry Everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere? We should never be discouraged; Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful Who will all our sorrows share? Jesus knows our every weakness; Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, Cumbered with a load of care? Precious Savior, still our refuge, Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer! In His arms He’ll take and shield you; You will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear May we ever, Lord, be bringing All to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded There will be no need for prayer Rapture, praise and endless worship Will be our sweet portion there.
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

I thank you for the pleasant dialogue!

I thank you for the pleasant dialogue!

Your welcome,

Orthodox agree 100% and as you mentioned, what Jesus is warning us is "falling into empty and meaningless repetition" as the pagans/Gentiles did. I think any kind of prayer has the potential to be "empty and meaningless." Christ taught His Apostles the pray the Lords prayer, which is a recited prayer. It is also a model that is used in much of the prayers of the Orthodox faith.

Sorry but I am not amused by your institution. In the other thread, you did mention your institution using a prayer rope. So I looked into it. And it doesn' t appear you were totally forthright about the repetition of prayers. I will accept the probability that the prayer rope / beads are not used during a service. However they are still used by members of your institution to as a counting device, just as the Roman Catholics do. There is no shortage of these prayer ropes or prayer beads for sale on the internet.

ziapueblo said:
Similar to we Orthodox, using a prayer rope. This of course would not be praying in "empty phrases as the Gentiles do." Repetition does not equals bad. It is empty phrases that equals bad. I mean, look at Psalms, the prayer book of the Church. Psalm 136, which is one of our Communion hymns in the Orthodox Church. Talk about repetition, "O give thanks unto the Lord" and "for His mercy endures forever." Psalm 118, repetition again.

No where in Scripture are we taught to say a prayer or recite the Psalms a specified number of times in order to be in fellowship with God or to curry His favor. It is still a form of manipulation. Jesus NEVER intended for anyone to count how many times he or she said the Lord's prayer or hail mary's or even the Jesus prayer in a prayer session or how many times a day they are said. Like it or not, the act is empty and meaningless vain repetition.

Like RC's, your institution is using a small, small number of passages as an excuse to get around the charge of vain repetition. Not gonna fly with me so to speak.

However they are still used by members of your institution to as a counting device, just as the Roman Catholics do.
Definitely, I have a prayer rope myself. It has 100 knots and I wear it around my left wrist. I live just over a mile away from my work so I am able to walk to my school. I us the prayer rope to say the Jesus Prayer, "Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." It's a beautiful prayer. A prayer rope and using it to say the Jesus Prayer is more of a monastic tradition, you won't find many Orthodox using one, although some do. If recited meaningfully, from the heart, it is not harmful.

There is no shortage of these prayer ropes or prayer beads for sale on the internet.
Yes, you can find many lovely ones. Mostly made in a monastery.

No where in Scripture are we taught to say a prayer or recite the Psalms a specified number of times in order to be in fellowship with God or to curry His favor.
I'm not sure of anywhere in Scripture that there is any teaching on praying or reciting the Psalms. Does that matter? We see the Psalms quoted all over the New Testament. I am not that familiar with Jewish worship at that time but I imagine that the Psalms were recited. I do know that the ancient Jews participated in a regular cycle of prayer (1st, 3rd, 6th and 9th hour) where Psalms and other prayers were recited. We see St Peter in Acts 10:9 praying at the sixth hour. The early Christian Church continued this Tradition. Most Orthodox Churches have Wednesday and Saturday evening Vespers, Orthros (morning prayer) and our Church is open at noon everyday for 6th hour prayers.

Jesus NEVER intended for anyone to count how many times he or she said the Lord's prayer
Correct, Christ never mentions a specific number, but He did give the Apostles, and us, this prayer, so it seems that reciting it is something that we should do regularly. It's a wonderful prayer for any situation we find ourselves in. As far as the Hail Mary, that is not an Orthodox thing. We have the Akathist, which is a version of the Hail Mary, but used in a totally different context.

Like it or not, the act is empty and meaningless vain repetition.
I wouldn't say that. I prayed the Jesus Prayer on my walk to work this morning. Do you know my heart or my thoughts while I pray? If I see someone say Grace at a restaurant, or praying in a Church, I wouldn't call that meaningless, no matter what type of prayer it may be.

I understand what you mean because any prayer could be meaningless. Much prayer I would say is even cultural. I have new neighbors who moved to the SW from Alabama. When I mention something good that has happened, the first thing out of the wife's mouth is "praise Jesus." Its a great little payer! However, in the South, it's also a common phrase to say, which could become meaningless. I don't judge my neighbor on it though because it seems to come from the heart.

Like RC's, your institution is using a small, small number of passages as an excuse to get around the charge of vain repetition.
Only God know that hearts and minds of men when they are praying. My repetition of the Jesus Prayer is not done in vain, I can assure you. Plus, look at the context, Christ was speaking of pagans praying to their false Gods. Of course it was done in vain.

Not gonna fly with me so to speak.
We all have a particular lens in which we read Scripture.

Have a good day!

Correct, Christ never mentions a specific number, but He did give the Apostles, and us, this prayer,

It’s hard to see how the intimate fellowship with Jesus is strengthened by the use of exact repetitious words or unoriginal phrases. What you have described is rote prayers that are repeated over and over again. Vain repetitions really.

The Lord's prayer is given as a guideline to convey the manner in which we are to pray. Not that we use the precise words over and over all day. God wants us to talk to Him from our hearts and express ourselves to Him spontaneously. Prayer is conversing from the heart, and it should always be spontaneous, not the repeating of words written by someone else.

It’s hard to see how the intimate fellowship with Jesus is strengthened by the use of exact repetitious words or unoriginal phrases. What you have described is rote prayers that are repeated over and over again.
I obviously disagree. It strengthens ones relationship with Christ just as spontaneous prayer does.

Do you believe that singing worship music is a form of prayer?

Vain repetitions really.
I guess it could be, depending on the heart of the person praying. The same could be said about any prayer. The thing here is that Christ is speaking of pagans who are praying to false Gods. Of course their prayer is in vain.

The Lord's prayer is given as a guideline to convey the manner in which we are to pray.
Where does Christ say that this is merely a guideline? I

Not that we use the precise words over and over all day.
Where does Christ say this?

God wants us to talk to Him from our hearts and express ourselves to Him spontaneously.
The Orthodox do not disagree with you here because we do pray spontaneously. Recited prayers also help us. Are many of the Psalms not prayers? Are we not to pray them?

not the repeating of words written by someone else
Why can this not be categorized as prayer? Just because it was prayed or written by someone else? Again, lets look at the Psalms, most of which are prayer. Should we get rid of them or not pray them because they were written by someone else?

I obviously disagree. It strengthens ones relationship with Christ just as spontaneous prayer does.

Do you believe that singing worship music is a form of prayer?
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

I guess it could be, depending on the heart of the person praying. The same could be said about any prayer. The thing here is that Christ is speaking of pagans who are praying to false Gods. Of course their prayer is in vain.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.
Where does Christ say that this is merely a guideline?

Where does Christ say this?

The Orthodox do not disagree with you here because we do pray spontaneously. Recited prayers also help us. Are many of the Psalms not prayers? Are we not to pray them?

Why can this not be categorized as prayer? Just because it was prayed or written by someone else? Again, lets look at the Psalms, most of which are prayer. Should we get rid of them or not pray them because they were written by someone else?

John 1, love it!

John 1, love it!

It’s hard to see how the intimate fellowship with Jesus is strengthened by the use of exact repetitious words
Psalm 136 repeatsfor his mercy endures forever” [26 times]

Rev 4:8 The four living creatures, each of them with six wings, were covered with eyes inside and out. Day and night they do not stop exclaiming:

Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty,

who was, and who is, and who is to come."

@ziapueblo

Sorry for the meaningless responses. What I had in mind, is that you would see the that the quota count of reciting prayers from a fresh perspective. The verses I posted, while truthful and wholesome, didn't allow for much as you put it "spontaneous " conversation between the two of us. I'm sure you rolled your eyes, and said... uh.... huh... and went somewhere else or found something else to do with your time.

Now about the beads/ knots use for the repetitiousness of prayers. Jesus blasted the religious leaders for saying a certain quota of prayers all day. What they were doing was NOT different than the roman's who didn't know God at all.

You've assigned yourself to the practice of reciting ritualistic patterns and forms of prayer as well as attempting to keep track of the number of times you recite them. Paul is not referring to non-stop talking, or a making sure that a high quota of prayers is said all day. Which is the purpose of the beads/ knots.

And the word "psalm" is a noun and means .... a sacred song or hymn,

Our communication with God should not be any different than spending time with and talking to your best friend. If you have a problem your unable to resolve, you would seek advice from your friend. If you saw or experienced a pleasant or unpleasant event, you would share that with your friend right?

Prayer does not need to be long and drawn out or complicated. Neither does it need to be filled with pious sounding words. Is there something you are thankful for? simply say .... thank you Lord for... Have a difficult student? Ask the Lord to help you deal with the situation.

Sorry for the meaningless responses. What I had in mind, is that you would see the that the quota count of reciting prayers from a fresh perspective.
I see what you were trying to do, but it is nothing like reciting a prayer.

I'm sure you rolled your eyes, and said... uh.... huh... and went somewhere else or found something else to do with your time.
I was pretty sure what your point was.

Jesus blasted the religious leaders for saying a certain quota of prayers all day.
Sure, because their heart was not in prayer. Just because one recites a prayer does not make it unworthy or meaningless. My mother-in-law and her husband are very faithful Christians. They attend a Baptist Church in town with a wonderful community. The two of them use a daily devotional, with reflection and prayers. It's not spontaneous prayer. You would say Christ would condemn them for using a devotional which has recited prayers?

You've assigned yourself to the practice of reciting ritualistic patterns and forms of prayer as well as attempting to keep track of the number of times you recite them.
Traditional patterns and forms of prayer, yes. I keep track on a prayer rope, yes. The number I do, I do not keep track. It helps me keep focus on my prayer.

Paul is not referring to non-stop talking, or a making sure that a high quota of prayers is said all day. Which is the purpose of the beads/ knots.
The knots are not meant to keep "a high quota of prayer." Like a said above, its a tool that helps one stay focused on prayer. Do I use a prayer rope all the time, no. As traditionally done, I were it on my left wrist. It reminds me to prayer throughout the day. A minute here, a minutes there. By the way, spontaneous prayer could easily be "non-stop talking."

And the word "psalm" is a noun and means .... a sacred song or hymn,
I know but I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying songs or hymns are not a form of prayer? When I have visited a friends Church (closest thing to a mega church in my town) there are members with their hands raised in the air, singing the songs as if they were praying. Same with my mother-in-laws Baptist Church. I know every person there feels that their singing of the worship music is a form of prayer (with lyrics that repeat themselves). I would argue that most contemporary Christian musicians would argue that their music is a form of prayer. I chant in our Church choir and I can assure you that we and everyone in the congregation believes we are praying when we chant our hymns.

Our communication with God should not be any different than spending time with and talking to your best friend. If you have a problem your unable to resolve, you would seek advice from your friend. If you saw or experienced a pleasant or unpleasant event, you would share that with your friend right?
This is how I spend my time in prayer. Why does it matter if I choose to begin my prayer with a recited, beautiful, ancient prayer (the Lords Prayer) and other beautiful and ancient prayers (the Psalms) along with my personal prayer? This is just something that your, as you have said to me a few times in this thread, institution teaches and part of your institutions traditions.

Prayer does not need to be long and drawn out or complicated.
Couldn't agree more.

Neither does it need to be filled with pious sounding words.
I don't disagree.

Is there something you are thankful for? simply say .... thank you Lord for... Have a difficult student? Ask the Lord to help you deal with the situation.
You assume Orthodox, or Catholics for that matter, don't do this. What you mention above is how Orthodox pray. Do we use recited prayer in our daily prayer, yes! Do we prayer as you mentioned, "thank you Lord for ..." Yes, all the time.

Just a question, have you every been to an Orthodox service?

Hope you had a nice Labor Day weekend and that today is blessed!

Back