Same sex marriage bill passes procedural vote in Senate

vibise

12 Republicans voted with Dems to advance the bill in support of same sex marriage to debate and discussion, with a final vote planned for later in the week.

The Mormon church issued a statement in support of this.

12 Republicans voted with Dems to advance the bill in support of same sex marriage to debate and discussion, with a final vote planned for later in the week.

This is another area where the federal government is exceeding its constitutional powers.

I though you have said that churches have no place in the discussion of public policy.
Churches have no place in politics, that is, in advocating for candidates or parties, but that does not mean they cannot advocate for particular social issues, like abortion or social justice.

The bill also aims to legalize interracial marriage

Mitch McConnell voted against the bill despite his being in an interracial marriage.

Your lack of knowledge about the structure of laws in the US is showingm
No; I'm simply aghast that interracial marriage could be illegal in any US state.

Or, that some federal statute is needed to secure its legality - this is what's wrong with the legislative jigsaw that is the "United" States.

The Constitution says all powers not delineated to the Federal government belong to the states.
Voting on federal bills was delineated to the Federal government, not the states.

You've failed to show where "the federal government is exceeding its constitutional powers"

Edit: more interestingly, you objected to same sex marriage being made legal at the federal level, but not interracial marriage. Interesting indeed...

No; I'm simply aghast that interracial marriage could be illegal in any US state.

Or, that some federal statute is needed to secure its legality - this is what's wrong with the legislative jigsaw that is the "United" States.
I think the point is that although SSM was made legal by a SCOTUS decision, SCOTUS can reverse that, just as they did for RvW. In fact, in his Dobbs opinion, Clarence Thomas signaled that he was open to reversing Obergefell.

Having SSM and interracial marriage codified by law makes it harder for SCOTUS to act.

I think the point is that although SSM was made legal by a SCOTUS decision, SCOTUS can reverse that, just as they did for RvW. In fact, in his Dobbs opinion, Clarence Thomas signaled that he was open to reversing Obergefell.

Having SSM and interracial marriage codified by law makes it harder for SCOTUS to act.
If you get surgery and now have both sets of genitals, can you marry yourself?

It makes no sense to have marriage regulated based on where people happen to live or travel.
I disagree, but only for technical reasons.

If there were no legal/financial benefits attached to marriage, it would be fine to regulate it from town town - for all that anyone would care, because not having your marriage recognized in one town would have almost no consequences.

It becomes problematic when said benefits are attached. At that point, the institution deserves legal regulation, because it makes no sense (for example) for a gay couple to have hospital visitation rights in one state but not another.

If marriage were simply a religious institution, I would have no problem with it being regulated by individual churches. It's not, however; it's now a state/legal institution, and that's why it deserves federal protections.

Back