"Science" versus Experience

stiggy wiggy

This is an interesting contrast between reported experiences versus "scientific" skepticism regarding those experiences.

versus

If we go with the "scientific" debunking can't we at least agree that those ""actors" in the video deserve Academy Awards? I wonder what their reaction would be if an "expert" were to inform them that their experience is bogus and had no scientific basis. It'd probably be similar to mine when told that since science says no one can rise from the dead after three days, THEREFORE I have never experienced the resurrected Christ.

Too bad Gus has me on ignore. This is his wheelhouse.

Last edited:
This is an interesting contrast between reported experiences versus "scientific" skepticism regarding those experiences.

versus

If we go with the "scientific" debunking can't we at least agree that those ""actors" in the video deserve Academy Awards? I wonder what their reaction would be if an "expert" were to inform them that their experience is bogus and had no scientific basis. It'd probably be similar to mine when told that since science says no one can rise from the dead after three days, THEREFORE I have never experienced the resurrected Christ.

Too bad Gus has me on ignore. This is his wheelhouse.
IDK.... Why don’t you try the experiment with a Muslim. Sit down across from one and give him a good dose of you skepticism about his life steeped in the experiences and truths of Islam and then record his reaction.

What comes around goes around. Why do you think the truth of the whole world is contained in your narrow internal experiences and beliefs?

Last edited:
IDK.... Why don’t you try the experiment with a Muslim. Sit down across from one and give him a good dose of you skepticism about his life steeped in the experiences and truths of Islam and then record his reaction.

YDK is correct. Can you produce similar on the spot testimonies from Muslims with equal enthusiasm and conviction regarding their alleged joyful encounters with Allah or Mohammed? I assure you I can present even more enthusiastic and genuine sounding joyful reactions from Christians about their encounters with Jesus Christ.

What comes around goes around. Why do you think the truth of the whole world is contained in your narrow internal experiences and beliefs?

Quote whatever I said that makes you think I think MY experiences encapsulate all of truth.

Why did my post make you so angry?

YDK is correct. Can you produce similar on the spot testimonies from Muslims with equal enthusiasm and conviction regarding their alleged joyful encounters with Allah or Mohammed? I assure you I can present even more enthusiastic and genuine sounding joyful reactions from Christians about their encounters with Jesus Christ.
So if we can produce non christian fits of religious ecstasy stronger than Christian fits of religious ecstasy then we have a true religion?
Quote whatever I said that makes you think I think MY experiences encapsulate all of truth.
So you don’t think Christianity is the ultimate truth of reality?
Why did my post make you so angry?
It made me laugh at how myopic you are in that you experience the entire world as exchanges only between Christians and Christian skeptics.

Last edited:
So if we can produce non christian fits of religious ecstasy stronger than Christian fits of religious ecstasy then we have a true religion?

Stronger? How about any at all? You brought up Muslims. I'm still waiting on you to produce an ecstatic Muslim encounter with Allah.

But back to the OP. Do you think those ecstatic wearers of glasses should rethink their reactions based on that "scientific" evidence?/

So you don’t think Christianity is the ultimate truth of reality?

I KNOW it is.

It made me laugh at how myopic you are in that you experience the entire world as exchanges only between Christians and Christian skeptics.

Really? Did it make you squirt milk through your nose? Ya gotta love fake laughter.

But no, besides Christians and Christian skeptics there are existential harelipped albinos.

Stronger? How about any at all? You brought up Muslims. I'm still waiting on you to produce an ecstatic Muslim encounter with Allah.

But back to the OP. Do you think those ecstatic wearers of glasses should rethink their reactions based on that "scientific" evidence?/
Do you think muslims should rethink their reactions to their religion based on your skepticism?
I KNOW it is.
Then I was correct to assume it without your declaration of it.
Really? Did it make you squirt milk through your nose? Ya gotta love fake laughter.

But no, besides Christians and Christian skeptics there are existential harelipped albinos.
Yeah.

Do you think muslims should rethink their reactions to their religion based on your skepticism?

Can you provide ecstatic reactions from Muslims from encounters with Allah?

Then I was correct to assume it without your declaration of it.

Why would you need to assume a belief of mine that I have constantly trumpeted here?

But back to the OP. Do you think the reactions in the video are based on color blind people being able to see color, or do you side with "science" in saying they didn't?

Can you provide ecstatic reactions from Muslims from encounters with Allah?
Is ecstasy the barometer of truth?
But back to the OP. Do you think the reactions in the video are based on color blind people being able to see color, or do you side with "science" in saying they didn't?
Do you think muslims reactions to their religion isn’t real based on your skepticism of Islam?

Is ecstasy the barometer of truth?

No. What was said that makes you feel that that may be the case?

Do you think muslims reactions to their religion isn’t real based on your skepticism of Islam?

Just what is that reaction, generally speaking?

No. What was said that makes you feel that that may be the case?
Your requirement to dig up experiences of religious ecstasy outside experiences of Jesus.
Just what is that reaction, generally speaking?
Faith.
Do you think muslim experiences of faith aren’t real based on your skepticism of Islam?

Your requirement to dig up experiences of religious ecstasy outside experiences of Jesus.

Requirement? Where did I require anything?

Can you show me some faith based Muslim ecstatic reactions?

Do you think muslim experiences of faith aren’t real based on your skepticism of Islam?

What experiences? Can you show me some?

Requirement? Where did I require anything?
DFTT.
Can you show me some faith based Muslim ecstatic reactions?
Why?
What experiences? Can you show me some?

Almost all religions either directly teach some sort of ecstatic direct experience of god or the divine, or they have a mystical branch that does.

The famous poet Jalal al-Din Muḥammad Rumi wrote thousands of poems of his direct experience of Allah:

Why should I seek? I am the same as
He. His essence speaks through me.
I have been looking for myself!

There are numerous mystical branches of islam, one of the most famous is sufism which according to Britannica is:
Mystical movement within Islam that seeks to find divine love and knowledge through direct personal experience of God.

Sri Chinmoy was a guru who taught a branch of hinduism that believed one could directly experience god through yoga and meditation:
Sri Chinmoy was born in 1931 in Bengal. From 1944 to 1964 he lived in an ashram, or spiritual community, in the south of India. He spent many hours a day in meditation and attained the high states of consciousness described in various traditions as enlightenment or God-realisation.

Most buddhists believe you can directly experience the oneness of all things or “meet the buddha face to face” through meditation. According to Buddha Within:
Another way of thinking of what meeting Buddhas face to face means is to actually break through the limitations of our present conception of time and space. The tradition says that this is actually possible and is a genuine experience that arises for the Bodhisattva at a certain stage of his or her progress towards Enlightenment. This is a very technical matter though and not something that an ordinary person not at that level, could experience or know about first hand. This kind of teaching is a matter of those further along the path passing messages back down the line about what is opening up ahead.

Almost every religion and cult believes they are directly and ecstatically experiencing “god”.

Back