Some of our Christian Friends accuse us of Praying to Christ in the Book of Mormon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard7

Elijah the Tishbite said:
The Book of Mormon clearly teaches we should pray to Jesus

Just the typical misinformation guest and visitors...

Why Did the Disciples Pray to Jesus in 3 Nephi 19?

During the first day of the Savior’s visit to the American continent, He taught the people to pray to Heavenly Father in His name (3 Nephi 18:19-21, 23, 30). This is consistent with His instructions to the twelve apostles at the Last Supper (John 14:13-14, John 15:16, John 16:23-26). The following morning, as they gathered in anticipation of His return, they did just that (3 Nephi 19:6-8). And as Mormon tells us, they followed that pattern in the days and years that followed (3 Nephi 27:2, 3 Nephi 28:30, Moroni 3:2).
But there was an exception to this pattern. When the Savior appeared on the second day, He had the people kneel down, and then He invited the twelve disciples whom He had chosen to kneel and pray. Instead of following the pattern which they had been taught (and which they had followed just a short time earlier), Mormon tells us that on this occasion, “they did pray unto Jesus, calling him their Lord and their God” (3 Nephi 19:18).
Why did they pray directly to Him? The Savior explained the reason as He prayed to the Father:

Thou seest that they believe in me because thou hearest them, and they pray unto me; and they pray unto me because I am with them (3 Nephi 19:22).
How did the disciples know that this variation was acceptable on this occasion?
The Bible Dictionary entry for “prayer” tells us, “As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God,… then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part.” We must never forget what we are actually doing when we pray: communicating with God. The disciples had prayed to the Father earlier that day “for that which they most desired,” which was “that the Holy Ghost should be given unto them” (3 Nephi 19:9). Now, as they prayed to Jesus, they had received the Holy Ghost, and inspiration was an essential element of their prayers:

They did not multiply many words, for it was given unto them what they should pray, and they were filled with desire” (3 Nephi 19:24).
These prayers were not monologues. They were interactive experiences: talking, listening, and sincerely expressing the deepest feelings of their hearts.
The purpose of prayer is communion with God:

We pray in Christ’s name when our mind is the mind of Christ, and our wishes the wishes of Christ–when His words abide in us. (Bible Dictionary).
So it was acceptable for the disciples to pray to Jesus instead of to the Father in His name on this occasion because He was in their presence. And they knew that their prayer was acceptable because they were genuinely communicating with God, and expressing the sincere desires of their hearts and receiving revelation from His Spirit as they prayed.
Today, I will strive to pray with the sincerity of these disciples. I will strive to listen to the guidance of the Spirit as I pray. I will remember that praying in the name of Christ is more than simply saying His name during the prayer. It is aligning my will with His and striving to pray for things which are consistent with His purposes.

To worship Jesus with all your might, mind and strength and one's whole soul entails praying to Jesus.
2 Nephi 25:29
And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out.

The vision took place in the city while the prayer took place later on outside the city.
The stones painfully cut and bruised Stephen’s body, and he knew he was going to die. But he was not afraid, for he knew he would be with Jesus again. Courageously Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." (Acts 7:59.)

Last edited:
To worship Jesus with all your might, mind and strength and one's whole soul entails praying to Jesus.
And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out.

The vision took place in the city while the prayer took place later on outside the city.
The stones painfully cut and bruised Stephen’s body, and he knew he was going to die. But he was not afraid, for he knew he would be with Jesus again. Courageously Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." (Acts 7:59.)
You are distorting praying to Christ versus Worshiping Christ... we are also defending prayer in the Book of Mormon, not the Bible which you quoted...

Worship as noted here as we teach it... Ardent admiration or love; adoration.

You are distorting praying to Christ versus Worshiping Christ...

Show me any other instance where this (or something very similar) is used that does not mean prayer is taking place?
worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul

Why did you dodge Acts 7:59 and the Mormon assertion that it constitutes prayer?

Show me any other instance where this (or something very similar) is used that does not mean prayer is taking place?
worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul

Why did you dodge Acts 7:59 and the Mormon assertion that it constitutes prayer?
Lets stay to the criticism made by Tishbite... and again we would teach this as ....Ardent admiration and love... adoration...

That's Old Testament theology. They understood at that time, that Christ was the God of Israel. He is Jehovah. The concept of worshiping the Father was destroyed by 600BC by the priests under Josiah, though, they recognized a hierarchy amongst the gods, El Elyon, or the most High God. Their worship was toward the Messiah who would come down among them. When Jesus did come, He taught us to worship the Father through himself, in his name.

There may be a better explanation than this one, but it would be difficult to ignore the fact that there was a significant shift in religious practice from the Old Testament teachings to the New Testament teachings. 2 Nephi came from Old Testament theology. They just understood that they were worshiping the Son, and, apparently, until He came, they couldn't have access to the Father even though they knew of Him.

What proof do you have that praying to Jesus is not allowed?
Knock yourself out, my sister in law prays to Mary. Not allowed (permission) versus being taught to address Heavenly Father in the name of Christ is for each one to decide for themselves... we teach that Heavenly Father warrants the respect of He who is Eternal and The Father...

He said to them, "When you pray, say: "`Father, [1] hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. [2]3Give us each day our daily bread.4Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. [3] And lead us not into temptation. [
Luke 11

That's Old Testament theology. They understood at that time, that Christ was the God of Israel. He is Jehovah. The concept of worshiping the Father was destroyed by 600BC by the priests under Josiah, though, they recognized a hierarchy amongst the gods, El Elyon, or the most High God. Their worship was toward the Messiah who would come down among them. When Jesus did come, He taught us to worship the Father through himself, in his name.

There may be a better explanation than this one, but it would be difficult to ignore the fact that there was a significant shift in religious practice from the Old Testament teachings to the New Testament teachings. 2 Nephi came from Old Testament theology. They just understood that they were worshiping the Son, and, apparently, until He came, they couldn't have access to the Father even though they knew of Him.
Isn't the Most High God Jesus ?

Doesn't the Book of mormon teach Jesus is God omnipotent ?

Mosiah 4:5-6

Isn't the Most High God Jesus ?

Doesn't the Book of mormon teach Jesus is God omnipotent ?

Mosiah 4:5-6
Where in the below can you find that.... God and Christ will always be God the Father and Christ the only begotten in the flesh...
Literally Christ is the offspring of the Father...

5 For behold, if the knowledge of the goodness of God at this time has awakened you to a sense of your nothingness, and your worthless and fallen state—

6 I say unto you, if ye have come to a knowledge of the goodness of God, and his matchless power, and his wisdom, and his patience, and his long-suffering towards the children of men; and also, the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world, that thereby salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord, and should be diligent in keeping his commandments, and continue in the faith even unto the end of his life, I mean the life of the mortal body

Where in the below can you find that.... God and Christ will always be God the Father and Christ the only begotten in the flesh...
Literally Christ is the offspring of the Father...

5 For behold, if the knowledge of the goodness of God at this time has awakened you to a sense of your nothingness, and your worthless and fallen state—

6 I say unto you, if ye have come to a knowledge of the goodness of God, and his matchless power, and his wisdom, and his patience, and his long-suffering towards the children of men; and also, the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world, that thereby salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord, and should be diligent in keeping his commandments, and continue in the faith even unto the end of his life, I mean the life of the mortal body
Jesus was God from Eternity 2 Nephi 26:12 Mosiah 3;5 and Alma 11;44 D&C 20:28 so he didn't exist eternally an offspring of the Father

What proof do you have that praying to Jesus is not allowed?
Who are you talking to?

What proof do you have that we believe that praying to Jesus is not allowed? We have it right there in our scriptures where people did that very thing. Why would you make a false assertion?

The point is that Jesus taught us to pray to His Father, Our Father. That is where he directed our worship.

Who are you talking to?

Any Mormon.

What proof do you have that we believe that praying to Jesus is not allowed?

Thomas Monson: When we pray, we pray to God through Jesus Christ.
http://thomasmonson.com/716/how-to-pray

Bruce R. McConkie: To whom did Stephen pray? Sectarian commentators say he prayed to Jesus and not to the Father, and they accordingly claim this instance as justification for the apostate practice of addressing prayers to the Son. From the day of Adam, through all ages, however, the true order of prayer has been to “call upon God in the name of the Son.” (Moses 5:8.) The only scriptural instances in which prayers were addressed directly to the Son were when—and because!—that Holy Being, as a resurrected personage, was standing before the petitioners. (3 Ne. 19:18-36.) (McConkie, Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 2:78)

We have it right there in our scriptures where people did that very thing.

The point of the OP is that prayer was only allowed when Jesus was in their physical presence.

Is prayer allowed to Jesus when He is not in one's physical presence?

Why would you make a false assertion?

I'm not.
The point is that Jesus taught us to pray to His Father, Our Father.

Which doesn't rule out that Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer - even when not in one's physical presence (Acts 7:59).

That is where he directed our worship.

Is worshiping Jesus wrong to do?

Elijah the Tishbite said:
The Book of Mormon clearly teaches we should pray to Jesus

Just the typical misinformation guest and visitors...

Why Did the Disciples Pray to Jesus in 3 Nephi 19?

During the first day of the Savior’s visit to the American continent, He taught the people to pray to Heavenly Father in His name (3 Nephi 18:19-21, 23, 30). This is consistent with His instructions to the twelve apostles at the Last Supper (John 14:13-14, John 15:16, John 16:23-26). The following morning, as they gathered in anticipation of His return, they did just that (3 Nephi 19:6-8). And as Mormon tells us, they followed that pattern in the days and years that followed (3 Nephi 27:2, 3 Nephi 28:30, Moroni 3:2).
But there was an exception to this pattern. When the Savior appeared on the second day, He had the people kneel down, and then He invited the twelve disciples whom He had chosen to kneel and pray. Instead of following the pattern which they had been taught (and which they had followed just a short time earlier), Mormon tells us that on this occasion, “they did pray unto Jesus, calling him their Lord and their God” (3 Nephi 19:18).
Why did they pray directly to Him? The Savior explained the reason as He prayed to the Father:

How did the disciples know that this variation was acceptable on this occasion?
The Bible Dictionary entry for “prayer” tells us, “As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God,… then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part.” We must never forget what we are actually doing when we pray: communicating with God. The disciples had prayed to the Father earlier that day “for that which they most desired,” which was “that the Holy Ghost should be given unto them” (3 Nephi 19:9). Now, as they prayed to Jesus, they had received the Holy Ghost, and inspiration was an essential element of their prayers:

These prayers were not monologues. They were interactive experiences: talking, listening, and sincerely expressing the deepest feelings of their hearts.
The purpose of prayer is communion with God:

So it was acceptable for the disciples to pray to Jesus instead of to the Father in His name on this occasion because He was in their presence. And they knew that their prayer was acceptable because they were genuinely communicating with God, and expressing the sincere desires of their hearts and receiving revelation from His Spirit as they prayed.

Today, I will strive to pray with the sincerity of these disciples. I will strive to listen to the guidance of the Spirit as I pray. I will remember that praying in the name of Christ is more than simply saying His name during the prayer. It is aligning my will with His and striving to pray for things which are consistent with His purposes.

1 Nephi 11

24 And after he had said these words, he said unto me: Look! And I looked, and I beheld the Son of God going forth among the children of men; and I saw many fall down at his feet and worship him.

2 Nephi 25

29 And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out.

3 Nephi 11: 17

17 Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God! And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus, and did worship him.

3 Nephi 17:

10 And they did all, both they who had been healed and they who were whole, bow down at his feet, and did worship him; and as many as could come for the multitude did kiss his feet, insomuch that they did bathe his feet with their tears.

3 Nephi 19:

18 And behold, they began to pray; and they did pray unto Jesus, calling him their Lord and their God.

Any Mormon.
Then u r misinformed. We have no such "rule"
Thomas Monson: When we pray, we pray to God through Jesus Christ
So?
The point of the OP is that prayer was only allowed when Jesus was in their physical presence
That's not what it says. Nowhere in the text does it suggest your rule.
Which doesn't rule out that Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer - even when not in one's physical presence (Acts 7:59).
Likewise, praying to Jesus is not ruled out sply because he isn't present.
Is worshiping Jesus wrong to do?
I believe that praying to the Father in Jesus' name is worshiping Jesus. I believe following Christ's teachings is worshiping Jesus.

That's not what it says. Nowhere in the text does it suggest your rule.

Not my rule. From the OP:
So it was acceptable for the disciples to pray to Jesus instead of to the Father in His name on this occasion because He was in their presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back