Someone posted this:

Christianity is kind of a growth inhibitor. It stunts intellectual growth.
Prove it. Show me the studies and their results. This is simply an ignorant, opinionated insult.
You don't have to share but that is completely in line with what I said: you had a need.
I wasn't damaged by the need. Not completely in line with what you said to Temujin.
I have no doubt you believe that.
Can you demonstrate that your God isn't a figment of your imagination? Because that's what I'm interested in.
I've given examples of the evidence of the Spirit of God moving in my life in this forum. It's subjective evidence that convinced me that God exists. i doubt it will convince you since you want concrete observable facts, yet you can't even prove your thoughts are real.

Prove it. Show me the studies and their results. This is simply an ignorant, opinionated insult.
Christianity is anti intellectual. First of all, it is faith/belief based; factual testable evidence, the scientific method, critical thinking are antithetical to belief.
Second, Christians identify as sheep (Jesus left the 99 etc etc)
Third, the wisdom of the world is folly for God.
Yes it is absolutely my opinion but we're not seeing great scientific, medical or technical advances coming out of Christianity -which supposedly has the corner on Truth.
In fact, we're not really seeing any kind of progress. Christianity doesn't really progress unless being forced to adapt to social change counts but that's usually late in the game.
I wasn't damaged by the need.
Metaphorically, the need was the "damage". I wasn't saying the need caused damage.
Not completely in line with what you said to Temujin.
Well, you misunderstand.
I've given examples of the evidence of the Spirit of God moving in my life in this forum. It's subjective evidence that convinced me that God exists. i doubt it will convince you since you want concrete observable facts, yet you can't even prove your thoughts are real.
I can prove my thoughts are real according to the standards for proving the reality of thoughts (which is a pretty low bar).
I don't pretend to think my thoughts are real in the same way that an iphone or the car in my driveway is real. Nor would I pretend to think it were possible to prove it. No, thoughts exist in the mind. Perhaps (likely?) they are the result of biochemical processes; that's not my area expertise and so it doesn't really matter.
And you are correct, your subjective experiences with your God are not evidence for me, just as my personal experience with God is not evidential for you; both the personal experience and the personal interpretation of the personal experiences are subjective.
Bottom line, I don't think Gods exist outside of the imagination. As ideas, they exist in line with their nature.

You could have just read it correctly the first time.
No worries.
:)
You could have just read it correctly the first time.
No worries.
:)
Well, you did say that getting rid if a person’s Christianity was like getting rid of cancer.? Then you denied that you thought Christianity was like cancer. ?Which prompts the question of why you made what you now admit was not a valid comparison to begin with. ?

It does not look like I misread anything.?

Christianity is anti intellectual...

...Perhaps (likely?) they are the result of biochemical processes; that's not my area expertise and so it doesn't really matter.

...Bottom line, I don't think Gods exist outside of the imagination.

Is your area of expertise guessing?

It doesn't really matter, just wondering.

Christianity is anti intellectual. First of all, it is faith/belief based; factual testable evidence, the scientific method, critical thinking are antithetical to belief.
Yet many intellectuals believe in Christ. Christians are not opposed to science, critical thinking, or historical evidence.
We all believe in things that are not testable like thoughts. You could push yourself and search the internet to see if thoughts are testable and make a better argument for the existence of intangible, abstract things.
Second, Christians identify as sheep (Jesus left the 99 etc etc)
metaphorically
Third, the wisdom of the world is folly to God.
The wisdom of the world that denies God's existence is considered folly.
Yes it is absolutely my opinion but we're not seeing great scientific, medical or technical advances coming out of Christianity -which supposedly has the corner on Truth.
Why should I take your word for it? Prove it.
In fact, we're not really seeing any kind of progress. Christianity doesn't really progress unless being forced to adapt to social change counts but that's usually late in the game.
Prove it.
Metaphorically, the need was the "damage". I wasn't saying the need caused damage.
I understand that. Damaged people turn to God and find him.
Well, you misunderstand.
ok, that's possible.
I can prove my thoughts are real according to the standards for proving the reality of thoughts (which is a pretty low bar).
Do it.
I don't pretend to think my thoughts are real in the same way that an iphone or the car in my driveway is real. Nor would I pretend to think it were possible to prove it. No, thoughts exist in the mind. Perhaps (likely?) they are the result of biochemical processes; that's not my area expertise and so it doesn't really matter.
We all agree that we think and have thoughts but you only believe in testable facts. Thoughts are abstract things. You can't prove that they exist. Since you can't prove them with testing, according to your criteria, they are in your same category as God--imaginary.
And you are correct, your subjective experiences with your God are not evidence for me, just as my personal experience with God is not evidential for you; both the personal experience and the personal interpretation of the personal experiences are subjective.
Bottom line, I don't think Gods exist outside of the imagination. As ideas, they exist in line with their nature.
What does the bold mean to you?

Last edited:
Well, you did say that getting rid if a person’s Christianity was like getting rid of cancer.?
Actually, I did not say that.
And you are missing the point of the analogy. I've repeated it a couple of times so out of a desire to not insult your intelligence I won't repeat it again now.
Then you denied that you thought Christianity was like cancer. ?Which prompts the question of why you made what you now admit was not a valid comparison to begin with. ?

It does not look like I misread anything.?
sigh.
Are you seeking attention?
Are you OCD? You seem hyper focused on your misinterpretation and unable to get past it.
I don't mean to be insulting by asking; it would just make it easier to know what I'm dealing with because if you're instead just being obstinate, it demands a less empathetic response.

Yet many intellectuals believe in Christ.
Thanks to mental compartmentalization.
Take a critical look at their positions, invariably there will be a pass given to certain beliefs that is not given to other ideas.
It's special pleading, holding Christian ideas to a lower (or no) standard than the standard applied to other ideas.
Christians are not opposed to science, critical thinking, or historical evidence.
I agree, at least generally.
The difference is the lack of consistency is application of cognitive and critical standards.
We all believe in things that are not testable like thoughts.
Who is "we all"? I do not believe in thoughts and I'm not sure they aren't testable.
You could push yourself and search the internet to see if thoughts are testable and make a better argument for the existence of intangible, abstract things.
Of course but I'm not really concerned about that, I'm concerned about whether or not Gods exist outside the imagination.
I am more than willing to accept God as an idea which exists in the minds (hearts?) of those who believe. In fact, that is what I think Gods are.
metaphorically

The wisdom of the world that denies God's existence is considered folly.
Yes, which is anti intellectual.
Why should I take your word for it? Prove it.
You don't have to take my word for it. Given your strict worldview, it is unlikely that I would be able convince you since the belief is self sustaining and impervious to contradiction.
Aside from that, I don't care whether or not you are convinced because it isn't a cornerstone of the issue here. What I mean is, if there was some sort of advance made by a Christian, it wouldn't convince me that Christianity is true. Sure, there are intellectuals and scientists who happen to be Christian but Christianity is not scientific nor does it progress or advance. Neither do advancements come out of it. For example, we're probably not going to finally realize an inexpensive and quick method of making wine out of water. We aren't likely to uncover the secret to parting or walking on water, we aren't likely going to discover the secret to coming back from the grave -from the bible.
Prove it.
You want me to prove something that doesn't exist?
I understand that. Damaged people turn to God and find him.
Right.
ok, that's possible.

Do it.
This conversation isn't enough?
I suppose you could think I was an AI chat bot.
But the interaction with you here should be sufficient. If it isn't, if it isn't proof enough than I suggest we are likely near the end of the conversation.
We all agree that we think and have thoughts but you only believe in testable facts.
This is a mischaracterization of my position. First of all, I don't believe in testable fact. Second, I don't believe ONLY in testable facts.
Thoughts are abstract things. You can't prove that they exist.
Allow me to return the serve: prove it.
Just kidding.
That's fine.
But realize that you're making my case: God is an abstract thing and you can't prove that they exist. -And don't misinterpret me, I'm not suggesting that you have claimed that you could. It is my claim that Gods exist in the minds (are abstract) and their existence outside of the mind cannot be demonstrated.
Since you can't prove them with testing, according to your criteria, they are in your same category as God--imaginary.
Essentially yes. But again, we can determine in several ways whether or not a person is thinking. We can measure brain activity, we can interact with them -both of which are sufficient for establishing the existence (in the mind) of thought.
We can also put ideas to work and produce an effect in the natural world through action.
This something God cannot do.
What does the bold mean to you?
Ideas exist abstracts in the mind. They are what they are and nothing more.

Yet many intellectuals believe in Christ. Christians are not opposed to science, critical thinking, or historical evidence.
Intellectuals can all too easily get things wrong. Newton believed in alchemy, Einstein at first got it wrong about the universe expanding when his equations showed it was. He also got it wrong about quantum mechanics.

I'm open to correction, but I rather doubt Francis Collins applied the same scientific and critical thinking to his Christianity as he did to the Human Genome project.
We all believe in things that are not testable like thoughts.
That may or may not be so, but should we then start believing in things that we can't test and verify?

Intellectuals can all too easily get things wrong. Newton believed in alchemy, Einstein at first got it wrong about the universe expanding when his equations showed it was. He also got it wrong about quantum mechanics.
So...
I'm open to correction, but I rather doubt Francis Collins applied the same scientific and critical thinking to his Christianity as he did to the Human Genome project.

He struggled with becoming a Christian. That means he put thought into it.
That may or may not be so, but should we then start believing in things that we can't test and verify?
Anything abstract...throw it out the window.

The thing that bothers me is BT makes claims he can't prove and then lauds himself with what a critical thinker he is who only trusts in proven facts. He constantly gives his negative opinions about Christians and religion without supporting them. It's hypocritical and bigoted thinking, imo.

You said .. "Yet many intellectuals believe in Christ".

So being an intellectual is no guarantee you will make the right conclusions about whatever.
He struggled with becoming a Christian. That means he put thought into it.
But my point was that he didn't put the same kind of thought into it that he did with his scientific research. I doubt he applied the same rigour to his religious beliefs as to his scientific research. Or in other words, he was intellectual in one way but not the other.

Anything abstract...throw it out the window.
Well, no. I believe there are abstract Ideas such as numbers and logic, but they are are necessary ideas so would not need a God in order to be.

The thing that bothers me is BT makes claims he can't prove and then lauds himself with what a critical thinker he is who only trusts in proven facts. He constantly gives his negative opinions about Christians and religion without supporting them. It's hypocritical and bigoted thinking, imo.

Such as?

It seems to me BT asks a very simple question, a question he's asked for years on and off, and I've seen no one answer it.

Say this now.....Big Talker.

And if you feel ornery, add Betty Crocker to it.
Is there a reason I should feel ornery?
Is it when you have nothing to say that you resort to commenting on another's user name?
Is there a point to that? Are you trying to be funny or maybe stir something up?

Actually, I did not say that.
You explicitly did, but if you didn't mean it, that's just fine.(y)
And you are missing the point of the analogy. I've repeated it a couple of times so out of a desire to not insult your intelligence I won't repeat it again now.
I accept that your point was badly phrased and inapt. It isn't a problem.
sigh.
Are you seeking attention?
Are you OCD? You seem hyper focused on your misinterpretation and unable to get past it.
No need to get excited, dude. Relax. :)
I don't mean to be insulting by asking; it would just make it easier to know what I'm dealing with because if you're instead just being obstinate, it demands a less empathetic response.
Whatever turns your crank, fine with me.

Is there a reason I should feel ornery?
Is it when you have nothing to say that you resort to commenting on another's user name?
Is there a point to that? Are you trying to be funny or maybe stir something up?

Oh sorry, didn't know sensitivity is set to high. Chill out. My name is not actually Furion.

Back