The Bible completely reliable

The Prophet

2 Peter 1:
19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

The mistranslation of the Bible is suggested in the eighth Article of Faith. Talmage explains, "There will be, there can be, no absolutely reliable translation of these or other scriptures unless it be effected through the gift of translation, as one of the endowments of the Holy Ghost... Let the Bible then be read reverently and with prayerful care, the reader ever seeking the light of the Spirit that he may discern between truth and the errors of men" (A. of F., p. 237).

Joseph Fielding Smith, the tenth Prophet of Mormonism also said: "There is not one principle pertaining to the salvation of men that is so clearly stated in the Bible, as it has come down to us, that men do not stumble over — not one thing. There is not one principle they can be united on that has been so clearly stated that they do not find their interpretations of it conflicting" (D. of S., Vol. I, p. 278).

Joseph Smith also declared, "Ignorant translators, careless transcribers, or designing and corrupt priests have committed many errors" (T. of P.J.S., p. 327). And LDS Apostle Mark E. Peterson said, "Many insertions were made, some of them 'slanted' for selfish purposes, while at times deliberate falsifications and fabrications were perpetrated" (As Translated Correctly, p. 4).

://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/mclaims3.htm#incomplete

2 Peter 1:
19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

Book of Mormon ... Even more relable.

16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.

16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.
:):)How could the Book of Mormon be more reliable when the Mormon interpreation is the Bible and Book of Mormon ?:):)

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/mclaims4.htm#proof

Where do you see any mention of "Book of Mormon" in that passage?

You do realize, I hope, that the "Joseph" mentioned isn't "Smith"?

And if you would bother to read the entire chapter, for context, this is about the valley of dry bones, and God raising up the dead, and reuniting the NATIONS. The sticks aren't "books", they are NATIONS.

The mistranslation of the Bible is suggested in the eighth Article of Faith. Talmage explains, "There will be, there can be, no absolutely reliable translation of these or other scriptures unless it be effected through the gift of translation, as one of the endowments of the Holy Ghost... Let the Bible then be read reverently and with prayerful care, the reader ever seeking the light of the Spirit that he may discern between truth and the errors of men" (A. of F., p. 237).

So when is this going to happen?
Smith tried it, and failed miserably.
So what other Mormon prophet is going to step up and get the job done?

And why is the Holy Ghost needed to translate text from one language into another?

Joseph Fielding Smith, the tenth Prophet of Mormonism also said: "There is not one principle pertaining to the salvation of men that is so clearly stated in the Bible, as it has come down to us, that men do not stumble over — not one thing. There is not one principle they can be united on that has been so clearly stated that they do not find their interpretations of it conflicting" (D. of S., Vol. I, p. 278).

Very vague, and unsubstantiated.

Joseph Smith also declared, "Ignorant translators,

No evidence for such an outlandish claim.

careless transcribers,

Well, this one I can agree with.
After all, it's not like scribes had electric lighting, or eyeglasses, or Aspirin, or enforced breaks every 4 hours, etc. etc. I think I can forgive them for the occasional scribal error.

Fortunately, we have over 5800 Greek manuscripts of the NT, and thousands more from other translations (Syriac, Coptic, Old Latin, etc.), not to mention hundreds of thousands of quotes in lectionaries.

How many copies of the Reformed Egyptian Book of Mormon do we have?

ZERO.

or designing and corrupt priests have committed many errors" (T. of P.J.S., p. 327).

No evidence, of course...

And LDS Apostle Mark E. Peterson said, "Many insertions were made,

This is true.
But unfortunately for you, because of the many thousands of manuscripts extant, we know where the insertions were, and have removed them (which is why modern Bibles don't have John 5:4, for example). But they weren't added for nepharious purposes. Scribes had such a high respect for Scripture that if they found a text in the margin, they didn't want to risk the fact that it might be a missed line of Scripture that they couldn't put in the regular place, so they added it in the margin, so as not to lose it. Unfortunately, many marginal comment notes (such as John 5:4) were inadvertantly added to Scripture.

some of them 'slanted' for selfish purposes, while at times deliberate falsifications and fabrications were perpetrated" (As Translated Correctly, p. 4).

And of course there is zero evidence for this, since it isn't true. The only possible example would be 1 John 5:7 being inserted into Erasmus' Greek NT text, but the Trinity is hardly dependent on that, and I believe those who fought for its inclusion most likely thought it was honestly Scripture, since it was in their Latin Vulgate.

The alternate names for both the Bible and the Book of Mormon...

You do realize, I hope, that the "Joseph" mentioned isn't "Smith"?

It isn't? wow. I just learned something new...

And if you would bother to read the entire chapter, for context, this is about the valley of dry bones, and God raising up the dead, and reuniting the NATIONS. The sticks aren't "books", they are NATIONS.
The tribes of Israel would be gathered and would again be unified, just as the two sticks representing the two kingdoms were one in Ezekiel’s hand. What a message of hope for an oppressed and divided people!

In the summer of 1830, the Lord gave Joseph Smith another interpretation of this prophecy. Speaking of Moroni, who had appeared to Joseph as an angel and led him to the plates containing the sacred history of Lehi’s descendants, the Lord said:

Whom I have sent unto you to reveal the Book of Mormon, containing the fulness of my everlasting gospel, to whom I have committed the keys of the record of the stick of Ephraim
DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS 27:5
Since Lehi was a descendant of Joseph, the stick of Ephraim can be interpreted as a representation of the Book of Mormon. the Bible would then be represented by the stick of Judah. So Ezekiel’s prophecy refers not only to the unification of God’s people but also of God’s words!

Nephi, the first prophet in the Book of Mormon, prophesied that “the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews.” And he went on to say that God’s people “shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in one” (2 Nephi 29:13-14).

And in that same 1830 revelation, the Lord promised to “gather together in one all things, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth” (Doctrine and Covenants 27:13). (See also Ephesians 1:10.)

Source:
Book of Mormon Study Notes...

As a Mormon, testing my faith, what occurred to me, in regard to the Ezekial passage is that the passage is present tense via the translation. Which if one thinks about it, with just a bit of horse sense, it demands that Ezekial wrote the entire BoM, not to mention the entire Bible.

It is just a ridiculous notion.

As a Mormon, testing my faith, what occurred to me, in regard to the Ezekial passage is that the passage is present tense via the translation. Which if one thinks about it, with just a bit of horse sense, it demands that Ezekial wrote the entire BoM, not to mention the entire Bible.

It is just a ridiculous notion.
Where did you make that up from?

Back