The conundrum of faith and the Calvinist

I know to whom these verses were written, thanks!

Phil. 1:29 (Darby) because to you has been given, as regards Christ, not only the believing on him but the suffering for him also,

The Greek, translated "...to you has been given..." here, is tricky to translate accurately into English, because it uses a construction that English does not have. It is aorist passive indicative. Aorist is something that happens at a point in time (usually in the past); passive is something that happens to you (not something you do); and indicative is simply a statement of fact.

What the above means, is that our current, ongoing believing in Jesus Christ was given to us, in a moment of time.

Rom. 12:3 (EMTV) For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself too highly, beyond what you should think, but to think soberly, as God has imparted to each one a measure of faith.

The Greek of Rom. 12:3 also has an aorist active indicative construction, at "...has imparted...", which, as we saw above, means that God gave to each one of us who are now Christians, in a moment of time, a measure of faith.

2 Pet. 1:1 Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have been allotted the same kind of precious faith with us, in the righteousness of our God and Saviour, Jesus Christ:

The Greek of 2 Pet. 1:1 has a Greek word that is often translated "obtained"; however, it means "to obtain by lot". In other words, we have obtained faith in Jesus Christ, by lot. It is as if God had cast lots and given faith in Jesus Christ to those for whom the lot was favourable.
Every scripture you posted was written to the saved. As Galatians 3:22 says God increases the faith of those who believe.
Does the following sound like God gifts faith to you ?
Unchecked Copy Box

Heb 11:6 - But without faith it isimpossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is,and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.OR ,
Unchecked Copy Box

Gal 3:22 - But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. Who does Gal: 3:22 say received increased faith ? Answer: Those who already believed.

Every scripture you posted was written to the saved. As Galatians 3:22 says God increases the faith of those who believe.
Does the following sound like God gifts faith to you ?
Unchecked Copy Box

Heb 11:6 - But without faith it isimpossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is,and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.OR ,
Unchecked Copy Box

Gal 3:22 - But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. Who does Gal: 3:22 say received increased faith ? Answer: Those who already believed.
Now you're back to square one again. I'm not going to go round and round on the carousel with you.

Exactly belief is before God increases our faith according to scripture, and I understand and believe that no one approaches Jesus without the Father drawing them.
Would you agree that one person Sows the Gospel, another person Waters it; but God gives the Growth?

Now you know me, I'm the most liberal 5-Point Calvinist there is; but where is the Believer in this Sequence?

Would you agree that one person Sows the Gospel, another person Waters it; but God gives the Growth?

Now you know me, I'm the most liberal 5-Point Calvinist there is; but where is the Believer in this Sequence?
I really wish you would stop saying things like, "...I'm the most liberal 5-point Calvinist there is...". It smacks of pride. Other than that, good post.

Yes, I agree with sowing, watering, but God gives the increase that is scriptural. The believer receives the truth then others through their faith shares truths that will help the truth take root in the new believer but only God who has drawn the person to His Son can impute His Sons righteousness to the believer..

Yes, I agree with sowing, watering, but God gives the increase that is scriptural. The believer receives the truth then others through their faith shares truths that will help the truth take root in the new believer but only God who has drawn the person to His Son can impute His Sons righteousness to the believer..
Amen...

I do not deny our part, but always place it after Grace. Would you return the favor and say that the Believer is not in that Sequence, though the Believer is in the greater Sequence of All Scripture?

It's not a trick question ;)

Last edited:
Of course I forgive you! I wasn't angry; I just felt the need to point it out.

The believer is the unspoken recipient in that sequence.
But it’s true . He knows it and we all know it . You are one of the most forthright Calvinists who regardless where the chips may fall will call a spade a spade and a brother on the carpet is you are convinced they are wrong . That is admirable and nothing wrong if you were to say that and admit that’s who you are . It’s more like a prophet who will call the people out with a firm yet loving rebuke . And you don’t make it personal which is another admirable character trait you have David. Even though we may disagree on some things now I still have respect for your views and your passion for truth and the way you conduct yourself .

hope this helps !!!

Amen...

I do not deny our part, but always place it after Grace. Would you return the favor and say that the Believer is not in that Sequence, though the Believer is in the greater Sequence of All Scripture?
The believer has to be in that sequence by the fact they accept and act on the truth as opposed to rejecting the truth, which scripture has many examples of those who reject the truth

The believer has to be in that sequence by the fact they accept and act on the truth as opposed to rejecting the truth, which scripture has many examples of those who reject the truth
Fair enough; I won't twist your arm and make you Exegete their presence. I can Eisegete the presence of let's say; Saints and Spaghetti Monsters...

Carry on...

Last edited:
But it’s true . He knows it and we all know it . You are one of the most forthright Calvinists who regardless where the chips may fall will call a spade a spade and a brother on the carpet is you are convinced they are wrong . That is admirable and nothing wrong if you were to say that and admit that’s who you are . It’s more like a prophet who will call the people out with a firm yet loving rebuke . And you don’t make it personal which is another admirable character trait you have David. Even though we may disagree on some things now I still have respect for your views and your passion for truth and the way you conduct yourself .

hope this helps !!!
I'm quite moved by this (and that's not an easy thing to do). Thank you, brother.

Back