Trump v DeSantis - who is preferable?

squirrelyguy

First of all, I don't vote. I haven't voted in any general election in almost 20 years and I don't plan on voting next year either.

But I'm curious about perspectives on Trump v DeSantis particularly among evangelicals who think Trump would be the preferable nominee. Why?

Good question. +1

There are no cognitive reasons to vote for Trump, even if you are a conservative. He tried to overturn an election and cast aspersions on the court system when it stood in his way. A conservative should want to conserve our republic, which at this point demands a vote for a non-Trump candidate. It is not as if there is any shortage of Republican candidates who are not Donald Trump, but advocate conservative policies.

It's a completely emotional and tribal decision. I know lots of people will vote for Trump anyway though, which is really sad.

Good question. +1

There are no cognitive reasons to vote for Trump
Actually, his policies were very successful. We had economic prosperity, low inflation, low unemployment, relative peace, our foreign policy wasn't in shambles, etc. I think those would be pretty valid reasons to vote for him.

Assuming no third party candidate runs, I'm planning to vote either for DeSantis or Ravishwami (sp?).

But there's a part of me that wants to vote for Trump in order to make a statement and stand up against the Democommies' dirty tricks.

Good question. +1

There are no cognitive reasons to vote for Trump, even if you are a conservative. He tried to overturn an election and cast aspersions on the court system when it stood in his way. A conservative should want to conserve our republic, which at this point demands a vote for a non-Trump candidate. It is not as if there is any shortage of Republican candidates who are not Donald Trump, but advocate conservative policies.

It's a completely emotional and tribal decision. I know lots of people will vote for Trump anyway though, which is really sad.
They aren’t conservative anymore

Actually, his policies were very successful. We had economic prosperity, low inflation, low unemployment, relative peace, our foreign policy wasn't in shambles, etc. I think those would be pretty valid reasons to vote for him.
Do you think he handled those issues better than another Republican candidate would have?

Assuming no third party candidate runs, I'm planning to vote either for DeSantis or Ravishwami (sp?).
What third party candidates would interest you?

But there's a part of me that wants to vote for Trump in order to make a statement and stand up against the Democommies' dirty tricks.
What tricks?

This post is more levelheaded and better argued than I expected, so thanks for that.

First of all, I don't vote. I haven't voted in any general election in almost 20 years and I don't plan on voting next year either.

But I'm curious about perspectives on Trump v DeSantis particularly among evangelicals who think Trump would be the preferable nominee. Why?
IF Trump runs, I'll vote for him without a second thought.

I rather enjoy watching the Democratic Party squall, and wouldn't want to force them to develop a real "Party Platform" other than "Destroy Trump" which appears to be all they know.

I have no confidence at all about the voting system/process, and no confidence in the honesty, or morality of EITHER our Congress, or our "Supreme Court" who are obviously nothing but hack politicians with a different specialty.

IF Trump runs, I'll vote for him without a second thought.

I rather enjoy watching the Democratic Party squall, and wouldn't want to force them to develop a real "Party Platform" other than "Destroy Trump" which appears to be all they know.

I have no confidence at all about the voting system/process, and no confidence in the honesty, or morality of EITHER our Congress, or our "Supreme Court" who are obviously nothing but hack politicians with a different specialty.
Do you think the Republican Party had a platform when Trump was president? After all, didn't they refuse to put out a platform at the 2020 National Convention? Maybe I'm misremembering it.

Last edited:

To be clear, I'm not even close to belonging to the group you're looking for answers from. Still, it's a discussion forum, and I think this is a good question in general. So:

If forced to, I'd vote DeSantis without hesitation. He's smarter, has actual political experience, and is frankly more presidential and thus less of an embarrassment. He's also has fewer pending lawsuits / possible indictments in his future. Finally, he's arguably more moral & principled.

To be clear one last time, I will not vote for either. Or at least, I can't imagine a candidate (from any party) that I'd like less - though I'm not closed-minded about that. It's possible that a Dem or Independent worse than DeSantis exists. Ask me who I'd choose between him and Kennedy, and I'd have to think for a long time before answering...

About $7trillion of our debt can be attributed to Trump policies, esp his unjustified tax cut that went mainly to the very rich.

The national debt has risen by almost $7.8 trillion during Trump’s time in office. That’s nearly twice as much as what Americans owe on student loans, car loans, credit cards and every other type of debt other than mortgages, combined, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. It amounts to about $23,500 in new federal debt for every person in the country.

The growth in the annual deficit under Trump ranks as the third-biggest increase, relative to the size of the economy, of any U.S. presidential administration

And note that Trump inherited Obama's economy which continued on that same trajectory for a few years into Trump's term.

As for our foreign policy, what other US POTUS claimed to be in love with the N Korean dictator, and who, acting as Putin's lapdog, took Putin's word over that of US intelligence agencies?

I think odds are that Trump will be nominated, and if not, will run as a third party candidate because he is spiteful.

Do you think the Republican Party had a platform when Trump was president? After all, didn't they refuse to put out a platform at the 2020 National Convention? Maybe I'm misremembering it.
You are correct. The GOP had no platform in 2020, but the Dems had a detailed one.

esp his unjustified tax cut that went mainly to the very rich.
First, as explained to you many, many times, the tax cuts were not limited to the rich, but were across the board.

Second, why does letting people keep their own money need to be "justified"?
And note that Trump inherited Obama's economy which continued on that same trajectory for a few years into Trump's term.
I guess you've forgotten what kind of economy Obama left us, and that Obama, himself, mocked Trump when he said he would bring manufacturing jobs back, and that Obama told us his crappy economy was "the new normal".
As for our foreign policy, what other US POTUS claimed to be in love with the N Korean dictator, and who, acting as Putin's lapdog, took Putin's word over that of US intelligence agencies?
Right. He was totally acting as "Putin's lapdog" when he went in front of Europe's leaders and told them they needed to get out of bed with Putin and then enacted sanctions on Russia.
That isn't evidenced by your posts.

To be clear, I'm not even close to belonging to the group you're looking for answers from. Still, it's a discussion forum, and I think this is a good question in general. So:

If forced to, I'd vote DeSantis without hesitation. He's smarter, has actual political experience, and is frankly more presidential and thus less of an embarrassment. He's also has fewer pending lawsuits / possible indictments in his future. Finally, he's arguably more moral & principled.

To be clear one last time, I will not vote for either. Or at least, I can't imagine a candidate (from any party) that I'd like less - though I'm not closed-minded about that. It's possible that a Dem or Independent worse than DeSantis exists. Ask me who I'd choose between him and Kennedy, and I'd have to think for a long time before answering...
DeSantis lost a lot of support by stupidly claiming that the Russian invasion of Ukraine was a mere "territorial dispute".

Then he signed a 6 week ban on abortion in a private signing. this would in effect ban all abortions, and is a stupid thing to do given the recent abortion driven votes in places like Kansas, Kentucky and Wisconsin. This might get him the nomination, but not the general election vote.

He also decided to use the power of the govt to go against Disney for daring to disagree with one of his policies. It is bad enough that he thought this is a good use of his power, but Disney is a major, if not the major, economic engine in his state. He is now threatening to put a prison right next to Disney.

He also made fun of school children wearing masks in the height of the pandemic.

How is any of this Presidential or not embarrassing?

First, as explained to you many, many times, the tax cuts were not limited to the rich, but were across the board.

Second, why does letting people keep their own money need to be "justified"?

I guess you've forgotten what kind of economy Obama left us, and that Obama, himself, mocked Trump when he said he would bring manufacturing jobs back, and that Obama told us his crappy economy was "the new normal".

Right. He was totally acting as "Putin's lapdog" when he went in front of Europe's leaders and told them they needed to get out of bed with Putin and then enacted sanctions on Russia.

That isn't evidenced by your posts.
The bulk of the tax cuts went to the rich, and Trump even bragged about this to his cronies are Mar-a-Lago. Furthermore, the smaller tax cuts to regular people were designed to expire in 5 years, whereas the cuts for the top earners have no cutoff.

A civilized and functioning society does not magically happen. Nice things cost money, and taxes pay for the services and civilization we enjoy.

Obama did a spectacular job righting the economy after GWB sent it over the cliff. 2008 was a spectacular disaster. The Repubs in Congress would not authorize what was needed for a quick recovery, so it took longer than it should have, but was mostly functional within about a year.

When has Trump ever said anything critical about Putin? And why did he meet with Putin multiple times in secret, with no records or even other Americans present?

And I note your personal insult.

[...] How is any of this Presidential or not embarrassing?
The question in the OP is about the relativity of one candidate to another.

Relative to Trump, DeSantis is insanely overqualified in his ability to be Presidential, and to not be an embarrassment to the nation.

That doesn't necessarily make him presidential, nor does it mean he'll never embarrass our country.

Back