What do KJOs think about the Webster Bible?

David1701

The Webster Bible is a revision of the KJV, which means that, by definition, it is different from the KJV. What do KJOs think about it? Is it sound or not; and, if not, please give specific examples?

Without retranslating the Bible, Webster rephrased the KJV, primarily bringing the usage and grammar up to 1833 standards, clarifying the Biblical text. I would guess that, if he ever had reason to consult the Greek NT, he would have been using a textus receptus edition.

There have been, in the 20th century, a very few similar efforts to adjust the KJV's language without new translation. As with Webster, these would have perpetuated some TR readings that modern (critical) editions have rejected.

Without retranslating the Bible, Webster rephrased the KJV, primarily bringing the usage and grammar up to 1833 standards, clarifying the Biblical text. I would guess that, if he ever had reason to consult the Greek NT, he would have been using a textus receptus edition.

There have been, in the 20th century, a very few similar efforts to adjust the KJV's language without new translation. As with Webster, these would have perpetuated some TR readings that modern (critical) editions have rejected.
Webster also corrected a small number of errors (e.g. he corrected "Easter" to "Passover").

Webster sought to create a "standard" usage of English to the American English. One of those efforts was his Webster Edition.

It has long been ironic that many KJVOists appeal to Webster's 1828 dictionary for English definitions for the words found in the 1611 KJV..... while rejecting the Webster Bible.

There is very little reason associated with KJVOism.

"Easter" was more than a "spelling error".
I didn't say that Easter was a "spelling error"; and you should not have used quotation marks, because the association of Easter with "spelling error" is not a quote from my post. Easter (in the KJV) was a mistranslation; and it's one of the small number of errors that Webster corrected.

I didn't say that Easter was a "spelling error"; and you should not have used quotation marks, because the association of Easter with "spelling error" is not a quote from my post. Easter (in the KJV) was a mistranslation; and it's one of the small number of errors that Webster corrected.

You were replying to Shoorna...... that had referenced how the Webster edition hadn't "retranslated" the Webster. Quote below.

"Without retranslating the Bible, Webster rephrased the KJV, primarily bringing the usage and grammar up to 1833 standards,".

You used "e.g". (example) in reference. You didn't make a distinct. Not my issue.

You were replying to Shoorna...... that had referenced how the Webster edition hadn't "retranslated" the Webster. Quote below.

"Without retranslating the Bible, Webster rephrased the KJV, primarily bringing the usage and grammar up to 1833 standards,".

You used "e.g". (example) in reference. You didn't make a distinct. Not my issue.
Oh good, grief!

Webster obviously did not retranslate the Webster...

I was pointing out that Webster not only did what Shoonra had said, but also corrected a small number of errors, one example of which was "Easter".

I think you meant "...didn't make a distinction.".

Your issue appears to be a woeful lack of comprehension, combined with an unwillingness to accept correction.

Oh good, grief!

Webster obviously did not retranslate the Webster...

I was pointing out that Webster not only did what Shoonra had said, but also corrected a small number of errors, one example of which was "Easter".

I think you meant "...didn't make a distinction.".

Correct. Sorry for the mistake. There is no reason to get upset. I was just going by what you said. I didn't see any indication you were not mixing a translation issue together with grammar.

Your issue appears to be a woeful lack of comprehension, combined with an unwillingness to accept correction.

You've always felt like you needed to correct me. You don't. I don't mind recognizing when I make a mistake. Like I obviously did with "distinct".

Keep believing I have a "comprehension" problem. There are actually some people that believe Easter and Passover are interchangeable.

Correct. Sorry for the mistake. There is no reason to get upset. I was just going by what you said. I didn't see any indication you were not mixing a translation issue together with grammar.

You've always felt like you needed to correct me. You don't. I don't mind recognizing when I make a mistake. Like I obviously did with "distinct".

Keep believing I have a "comprehension" problem. There are actually some people that believe Easter and Passover are interchangeable.
If you ask, instead of making disparaging assumptions, that would go a long way to me not feeling any need to correct you.

Back