what if...

So, one thing I see, though, is that you tend to not use the Bible to study the Bible. For example,

The history of human ritual sacrifices do not reflect that first fruits were given for thanks, but a desire to please a god for future benefit, such as an appeasement to an angry god for a disaster that had befallen or a chance for a good growing season or disease free cattle in the year to come.

It would make sense that those priests in Josiah's court forging the new Deuteronomic code would throw it back to Moses for authority and include the wickedness of the contemporary Judean as a much needed control measure.
Doing this is basically like having a contaminant in your lab experiment. One could say, "but you cannot ignore Israel's surrounding culture/context" to which I would say the same with having a contaminant in a lab experiment. The question is, "Do you want to know what the original author intended?" The reason why that's an important question is because even if an author is tainted by the surrounding cultures, they can write in such a way so as to be separated from them (and that's one of the reasons the Laws were given: Lev 18:24, Deut 12:30, 18:9, etc.).
Since you say that this was about Jewish nationalism, it should actually cause you to look away from the surrounding cultures unless absolutely necessary to make sense of a text. Oui/no?

But I see no need for a new covenant.
Not trying to be rude but trying to make an observation. Is that not actually showing that your bias in how you interpret the Bible? Even though the Bible says that there will be a New Covenant in Jeremiah 31:31 you reject it rather than account for it?

I believe that part of the issue is that you don't have a Biblical understanding of "fine". I think I can make that claim based on what I've said above.
The narrative of the entire Old Testament is one of the Jewish people as a whole failing to keep the commands of God. In essence, saying that the Mosaic Covenant in the Old Testament was "fine" is like that meme by K. C. Green of the dog in a burning house saying, "This is fine."
So just a reflective question, is your definition of "fine" the same as how God would see it or your own understanding of fine (and is that based on the entire Old Testament story)?

Peace and safety :)

So, one thing I see, though, is that you tend to not use the Bible to study the Bible. For example,
I read the bible a lot.
Doing this is basically like having a contaminant in your lab experiment. One could say, "but you cannot ignore Israel's surrounding culture/context" to which I would say the same with having a contaminant in a lab experiment. The question is, "Do you want to know what the original author intended?" The reason why that's an important question is because even if an author is tainted by the surrounding cultures, they can write in such a way so as to be separated from them (and that's one of the reasons the Laws were given: Lev 18:24, Deut 12:30, 18:9, etc.).
Since you say that this was about Jewish nationalism, it should actually cause you to look away from the surrounding cultures unless absolutely necessary to make sense of a text. Oui/no?
Oui. What it makes me look at is the personal intention of the author. From the historicity of it I believe his intention was to support his nation with reference to his belief in his god. Just the thought that this god was theirs alone given the backdrop of all the nations and people they were in contact with informs any fair analysis that they had no encompassing or accurate view of any creator. Their god was a nationalist invention.

Not trying to be rude but trying to make an observation. Is that not actually showing that your bias in how you interpret the Bible? Even though the Bible says that there will be a New Covenant in Jeremiah 31:31 you reject it rather than account for it?
The book of Jeremiah was an OT book of Jewish prophecy, not Christian prophesy. Anything in it relates to the experience the Jews were having with their god regarding the issues of their nation only. Any new covenant mentioned was merely an acknowledgement that there was a need for change in their relationship to their god for their own benefit, nothing else. The Hebrew religion was a closed system when it came to their god.
I believe that part of the issue is that you don't have a Biblical understanding of "fine". I think I can make that claim based on what I've said above.
The narrative of the entire Old Testament is one of the Jewish people as a whole failing to keep the commands of God. In essence, saying that the Mosaic Covenant in the Old Testament was "fine" is like that meme by K. C. Green of the dog in a burning house saying, "This is fine."
So just a reflective question, is your definition of "fine" the same as how God would see it or your own understanding of fine (and is that based on the entire Old Testament story)?
John the Baptist was baptizing for the forgiveness of sins already. Priests were sacrificing in the temple for the same. It's all about forgiveness of sin. That did not change with Jesus. It was merely a human this time. One still has to come forth with the realization and make the effort to do what it takes to be forgiven in both paradigms. I really fail to see the add here for the end result of forgiveness of sins.
Peace and safety :)

I read the bible a lot.

Oui. What it makes me look at is the personal intention of the author. From the historicity of it I believe his intention was to support his nation with reference to his belief in his god. Just the thought that this god was theirs alone given the backdrop of all the nations and people they were in contact with informs any fair analysis that they had no encompassing or accurate view of any creator. Their god was a nationalist invention.

The book of Jeremiah was an OT book of Jewish prophecy, not Christian prophesy. Anything in it relates to the experience the Jews were having with their god regarding the issues of their nation only. Any new covenant mentioned was merely an acknowledgement that there was a need for change in their relationship to their god for their own benefit, nothing else. The Hebrew religion was a closed system when it came to their god.

John the Baptist was baptizing for the forgiveness of sins already. Priests were sacrificing in the temple for the same. It's all about forgiveness of sin. That did not change with Jesus. It was merely a human this time. One still has to come forth with the realization and make the effort to do what it takes to be forgiven in both paradigms. I really fail to see the add here for the end result of forgiveness of sins.
I don't know if it's because of the length of time between posts, but I don't think that you really understood what I meant by saying you're not using the Bible to study the Bible.
So this will be short. Can you back up your position strictly by using the Bible?

I also feel the need to ask, does your position mesh with JEDP and that JE were originally written prior to the time of Josiah?

I don't know if it's because of the length of time between posts, but I don't think that you really understood what I meant by saying you're not using the Bible to study the Bible.
I believe I understood you. Correct me if I'm putting words into your mouth, but what I think you are really asking is whether I use ONLY the bible to study the bible. That answer would be a "no". The texts written by Caesar, an autobiography of the most important events of his public life, are the most complete primary source for the reconstruction of his biography. However, Caesar wrote those texts with his political career in mind, so historians must filter the exaggerations and bias contained in it.

As you can tell, I read nationalist bias into the construction of the the Jewish concept of their God, their standard of how the world should bend to them. This type of nationalist phenomenon is common. I think it would be an egregious form of special pleading to believe that this was not that type of literature given its historical prevalence in all corners of the literate world.
So this will be short. Can you back up your position strictly by using the Bible?
It would be an error of historical bias to approach biblical literature in this way.
I also feel the need to ask, does your position mesh with JEDP and that JE were originally written prior to the time of Josiah?
Modern scholars have given up the classical Wellhausian dating. I do as well. I find it very unlikely that during a time of great tribulation and anxiety in Judah that the priests of Josiah's court would be rummaging around and happen to stumble on a hitherto unknown Deuteronic code penned by Moses so much in need for the current crisis. Such scrolls by a patriarch would never be treated so glibly. I side with the scholars that have shown it to be be more likely that Deuteronomy was an invention of the priests in the court of Josiah.

Last edited:
radvermin said: So this will be short. Can you back up your position strictly by using the Bible?

Is it not therefore fair to say that you have to read your ideas into the text?
No, that would not be fair to say. I didn't read anything into the narratives. What would be fair to say is that a broader study of historical trends in origins and types of literature, knowledge of external and internal pressures or attitudes present when narratives are being developed, what the narratives propose juxtaposed to the world we actually experience, and human nature, all combine to make a probability surrounding the veracity of a narrative.

Last edited:
No, that would not be fair to say. I didn't read anything into the narratives. What would be fair to say is that a broader study of historical trends in origins and types of literature, knowledge of external and internal pressures or attitudes present when narratives are being developed, what the narratives propose juxtaposed to the world we actually experience, and human nature, all combine to make a probability surrounding the veracity of a narrative.
But you're still assuming the origins. There's nothing in the narratives themselves that state that Deuteronomy was written during Josiah's time (for example).
Whereas the scrolls of God being treated "glibly", as you have rejected, is found in the Bible. It was ignored for countless generations through the wicked kings, the priests at times lied about it (Jer 8:8), and some times there weren't even priests to use or teach the Torah (2 Chron 15:3). So far from saying, "Such scrolls by a patriarch would never be treated so glibly", [emphasis mine] the Bible says otherwise.

But you're still assuming the origins. There's nothing in the narratives themselves that state that Deuteronomy was written during Josiah's time (for example).
Whereas the scrolls of God being treated "glibly", as you have rejected, is found in the Bible. It was ignored for countless generations through the wicked kings, the priests at times lied about it (Jer 8:8), and some times there weren't even priests to use or teach the Torah (2 Chron 15:3). So far from saying, "Such scrolls by a patriarch would never be treated so glibly", [emphasis mine] the Bible says otherwise.
Maybe not Josiah's court specifically mentioned but other references that could not be Moses's combined with when it was discovered have a stronger indication of later authorship than Moses and a product of this court - where it was *stumbled upon*.

Examples:

---
34:10 says: “And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses.” This verse speaks of Moses as in the distant past and the kingdom of Israel in the present, neither of which is consistent with authorship by Moses (or Joshua).
---
A key prophecy of the Exile of Judah culminating in 586 BCE. The generation of Moses had no reason to anticipate an exile.
---
Sayings like "Israel has not had such a great prophet [as Moses] down to this very day" and “there were Canaanites in the land then,”
---
Deuteronomy 1:1 relates that God spoke to Moses on the “other side of the Jordan.” This implies that the writer wrote from the eastern side of the Jordan, but Moses never crossed the Jordan.
---
Deuteronomy 3:11 states that the bed of Og, king of Bashan, was nine cubits long and four cubits wide. Since the bed was probably not discovered until the city of Rabbath, where it was located, was conquered by David, it could not have been written before the Davidic era.
---
Deuteronomy 27:1 reports that the Torah was written on stones and the rabbis explain that there were twelve stones. If Moses wrote all of the material that we consider the Torah today, it could not be placed on only twelve stones.
---
The narration describes not only the death, burial and mourning of Moses, but also compares him to all the prophets who came after him; refers to places not by the names that they bore in Moses’s time but by names that they acquired only much later; and continues beyond the death of Moses.

Textual additions:
Sayings like "Israel has not had such a great prophet [as Moses] down to this very day" and “there were Canaanites in the land then,”
---
Deuteronomy 1:1 relates that God spoke to Moses on the “other side of the Jordan.” This implies that the writer wrote from the eastern side of the Jordan, but Moses never crossed the Jordan.
---
Deuteronomy 3:11 states that the bed of Og, king of Bashan, was nine cubits long and four cubits wide. Since the bed was probably not discovered until the city of Rabbath, where it was located, was conquered by David, it could not have been written before the Davidic era.
--- Where does it say it was discovered?
Good reply. I think it's helpful to our discussion. I hope this reply is also.
So just to reiterate, the issue I was talking about was reading into the text. Reading over your previous posts, I am reminded that you don't read only the text, as you understand that to be the most honest form of interpreting scripture, and I'll touch on that later (I'll mark where*). But I would like to point out how a worldview has been inserted into the understanding of each text that was given.

1) - "Not Josiah specifically"?
Why not? Because it's not in the text. So any argument to that end is going to be outside of the Bible and will even have to ignore what the Bible says.

2) - "Deut 34:10 says: “And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses.” This verse speaks of Moses as in the distant past and the kingdom of Israel in the present, neither of which is consistent with authorship by Moses (or Joshua)."
It has to be read into the text that it's referring to the kingdom of Israel, as opposed to the tribe of Israel. This understanding is highly improbable because not only was Josiah of the kingdom of Judah (as you note in point 3 below), but after David Israel and Judah were often referred to as different kingdoms, so references to the kingdom of Israel would not be used to describe all of Israel as this passage after the North/South split.

3) - "A key prophecy of the Exile of Judah culminating in 586 BCE. The generation of Moses had no reason to anticipate an exile."
How do you know? The prophets would for 2 reasons, they had the Torah (hence why they were quoted), and because God spoke to them. As an illustration, Jeremiah begins during the time of Josiah and yet there are references to the destruction of Judah by the end of Chapter 4. Why? Because they were stiff-necked and rebellious and that was the basis for anticipating an exile.
So, to actually address your point, Deut 31:27-30 says
27 "For I know how rebellious and stiff-necked you are. If you have been rebellious against the LORD while I am still alive and with you, how much more will you rebel after I die!
28 Assemble before me all the elders of your tribes and all your officials, so that I can speak these words in their hearing and call heaven and earth to testify against them.
29 For I know that after my death you are sure to become utterly corrupt and to turn from the way I have commanded you. In days to come, disaster will fall upon you because you will do evil in the sight of the LORD and provoke him to anger by what your hands have made."
30 And Moses recited the words of this song from beginning to end in the hearing of the whole assembly of Israel:" (NIV)

4) This is not your 4th point, but I'll put it here.
- "Deuteronomy 27:1 reports that the Torah was written on stones and the rabbis explain that there were twelve stones. If Moses wrote all of the material that we consider the Torah today, it could not be placed on only twelve stones."
I looked up what you meant in my Jewish Study Bible and it referenced Joshua 4, and that's where the 12 stones came from. Again, this is not in the text but rather read into it as Joshua 4 doesn't say that they wrote on them, that they coated the stones in plaster, nor that this was done as a remembrance of God's laws but was for them to remember God parting the Jordan (Joshua 4:6-7). So Joshua 4 has nothing to do with Deut 27.

5) - "Sayings like "Israel has not had such a great prophet [as Moses] down to this very day" and “there were Canaanites in the land then,”"
- "The narration describes not only the death, burial and mourning of Moses, but also compares him to all the prophets who came after him; refers to places not by the names that they bore in Moses’s time but by names that they acquired only much later; and continues beyond the death of Moses."
- "Deuteronomy 3:11 states that the bed of Og, king of Bashan, was nine cubits long and four cubits wide. Since the bed was probably not discovered until the city of Rabbath, where it was located, was conquered by David, it could not have been written before the Davidic era."
- "The narration describes not only the death, burial and mourning of Moses, but also compares him to all the prophets who came after him; refers to places not by the names that they bore in Moses’s time but by names that they acquired only much later; and continues beyond the death of Moses."
I've put all these together because they're the same argument. So where's the reading into the text? All of these seem to suggest that Moses did not write them. For example, Moses writing posthumously about his death... probably wasn't written by him. So I'll agree that these were insertions into the text after the writer (Except for maybe Deut 3:11 but I'm not being picky here). So where's the reading into the text?
Implied in this is that since this one verse here and there was inserted into the text, that means all of it was inserted. However it is valid to say that a scribe inserted his comments into a text, rather than wrote an entire text, maybe even moreso when believes that the Torah was compiled by 4 authors. There is also evidence that what was written in Deuteronomy was from Moses. For example, Deut 31 was written in the first person, that should at least be strong evidence that he wrote it, especially when taking into account verse 22 "So Moses wrote down this song that day and taught it to the Israelites."

The reason why I wanted to reply to all this was to argue interpretations, but to show how easy it is to read our own perspective into the text; and that reading into the text can change our understanding of the text away from what it actually is intending to say.

What is the cure? Encountering counter perspectives that cause study. I'm not sure whether you knew of everything I had already said, but in case you hadn't I wanted to provide a different interpretation. That tends to help me, and whichever interpretation made most sense of the text, that's the one I followed.
But which makes the most sense?

Implicit in my reply is the doctrine of Sola Scriptura, that The Bible is the highest infallible authority.
Some necessary consequences of this is that (1) Scripture has the last say on what actually is true and so Scripture interprets scripture, not culture. So I once heard an interpretation that the lost sheep has nothing to do with God searching for people, but rather the Pharisees looking for people. The author of this interpretation used on only Luke 15. It seemed convincing to me, until I read the parallel passage in Matthew 18:13-14:
13 And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off.
14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.

(2) *Another consequence is that there are other authorities out there (which is what I've had in the back of my mind as you have been responding) but they don't trump the teachings of the highest authority which is what Scripture teaches about itself. It's honest to get all the facts before making your judgment, but it's not honest to reinterpret someone based on what someone else said or events that are unconnected to that statement. I'm sure we could go back and forth on which is more honest in regards to the Bible, but the idea of Sola Scriptura is based on honesty also, and I would argue leads to a more consistent interpretation of the whole of Scripture.
The idea of Sola Scriptura, then, is against Rabbinic and Roman Catholic, man made, doctrines which are not only fallible but also tend to override Biblical teaching. I say this because what I'm saying to you now is how you can effectively debate a Protestant, but not so much a Roman Catholic or a Jew. For that I think the style you are currently using to debate is justifiable under their worldview.

I hope this reply has been helpful and worthy of reflection.
Blessings

Good reply. I think it's helpful to our discussion. I hope this reply is also.

The reason why I wanted to reply to all this was to argue interpretations, but to show how easy it is to read our own perspective into the text; and that reading into the text can change our understanding of the text away from what it actually is intending to say.

What is the cure? Encountering counter perspectives that cause study. I'm not sure whether you knew of everything I had already said, but in case you hadn't I wanted to provide a different interpretation. That tends to help me, and whichever interpretation made most sense of the text, that's the one I followed.
But which makes the most sense?

Implicit in my reply is the doctrine of Sola Scriptura, that The Bible is the highest infallible authority.
Some necessary consequences of this is that (1) Scripture has the last say on what actually is true and so Scripture interprets scripture, not culture. So I once heard an interpretation that the lost sheep has nothing to do with God searching for people, but rather the Pharisees looking for people. The author of this interpretation used on only Luke 15. It seemed convincing to me, until I read the parallel passage in Matthew 18:13-14:
13 And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off.
14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.

(2) *Another consequence is that there are other authorities out there (which is what I've had in the back of my mind as you have been responding) but they don't trump the teachings of the highest authority which is what Scripture teaches about itself. It's honest to get all the facts before making your judgment, but it's not honest to reinterpret someone based on what someone else said or events that are unconnected to that statement. I'm sure we could go back and forth on which is more honest in regards to the Bible, but the idea of Sola Scriptura is based on honesty also, and I would argue leads to a more consistent interpretation of the whole of Scripture.
The idea of Sola Scriptura, then, is against Rabbinic and Roman Catholic, man made, doctrines which are not only fallible but also tend to override Biblical teaching. I say this because what I'm saying to you now is how you can effectively debate a Protestant, but not so much a Roman Catholic or a Jew. For that I think the style you are currently using to debate is justifiable under their worldview.

I hope this reply has been helpful and worthy of reflection.
Blessings
These are always helpful... thank you.

I had to cut this response into 2 sections because our word count became large. I would first like to address the idea of reading things into scripture and the concept of Sola Scriptura. I don't see how using Sola Scriptura as a basis for understanding, or resolution to scriptural meaning, keeps you away from, as a reformist that adheres to the concept, of not reading things into scripture. Let's take 2 examples.

1) Gen 1:27 - So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

What does that mean? Do you have to "read into" the scripture something that isn't there to steer this away from what we know an image is? Is god physical with physical needs? Is God pure spirit? Spirit has no image and we do not share God's spiritual image in the least - He being always eternal. Gen 3:22 is clear that this was not one of God's goals for us: Gen 322 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Is it about dominion over the earth? The ability to create? These characteristics are not "images".

2) Gen 3: The fall of man.

That original sin brought suffering and disease into the world in my clear reading is not supported by scripture. It seems clear by the narrative that the punishment was toil for sustenance and pain in birth and no more.

What does it mean to use Sola Scriptura to interpret these narratives without reading something that isn't apparent in the scripture?

Last edited:
These are always helpful... thank you.

I had to cut this response into 2 sections because our word count became large. I would first like to address the idea of reading things into scripture and the concept of Sola Scriptura. I don't see how using Sola Scriptura as a basis for understanding, or resolution to scriptural meaning, keeps you away from, as a reformist that adheres to the concept, of not reading things into scripture. Let's take 2 examples.

1) Gen 1:27 - So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

What does that mean? Do you have to "read into" the scripture something that isn't there to steer this away from what we know an image is? Is god physical with physical needs? Is God pure spirit? Spirit has no image and we do not share God's spiritual image in the least - He being always eternal. Gen 3:22 is clear that this was not one of God's goals for us: Gen 322 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Is it about dominion over the earth? The ability to create? These characteristics are not "images".

2) Gen 3: The fall of man.

That original sin brought suffering and disease into the world in my clear reading is not supported by scripture. It seems clear by the narrative that the punishment was toil for sustenance and pain in birth and no more.

What does it mean to use Sola Scriptura to interpret these narratives without reading something that isn't apparent in the scripture?
Excellent question

1) What does Gen 1:27 mean?
It means So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

2) Correct, if we only look at Gen 3.

I have words left over so I'll tell a story. In my first year Bible college I was in a Biblical Interpretation class. We were told to get into groups and I sat with the 4th years. The Prof. gave us each a Bible passage, and told to answer two questions, "What does it say" and "What does it mean".
10 minutes of group discussion and we were ready to present. First group. John 3:16.
Prof: "What does it say?"
Group: They read the passage.
Pro: "What does it mean?"
Group: "It means Jesus died on the cross and that if you believe in him you'll have eternal life."
Prof: Wrong, sit down.

This happened over and over, where the groups would read the passage, then give their interpretation and the Prof would say they were wrong.
My group.
Group: they read the passage
Prof: "What does it mean?"
Group: They read the passage again.
Pro: Correct.

This is where Sola Scriptura starts.

The hard part is it's sister, Tota Scriptura. So for your Gen 1:27 question, "Is God pure spirit?" I'd turn to John 4:24 "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."
I'll add that it's not fool proof, as some times I seem to be the fool. But it's a good start.
Keep the questions rolling!

Excellent question

1) What does Gen 1:27 mean?
It means So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

2) Correct, if we only look at Gen 3.

I have words left over so I'll tell a story. In my first year Bible college I was in a Biblical Interpretation class. We were told to get into groups and I sat with the 4th years. The Prof. gave us each a Bible passage, and told to answer two questions, "What does it say" and "What does it mean".
10 minutes of group discussion and we were ready to present. First group. John 3:16.
Group: They read the passage.
Pro: "What does it mean?"
Group: "It means Jesus died on the cross and that if you believe in him you'll have eternal life."
Prof: Wrong, sit down.

This happened over and over, where the groups would read the passage, then give their interpretation and the Prof would say they were wrong.
My group.
Group: they read the passage
Prof: "What does it mean?"
Group: They read the passage again.
Pro: Correct.

This is where Sola Scriptura starts.

The hard part is it's sister, Tota Scriptura. So for your Gen 1:27 question, "Is God pure spirit?" I'd turn to John 4:24 "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."
I'll add that it's not fool proof, as some times I seem to be the fool. But it's a good start.
Keep the questions rolling!
Yes... to honor Tota Scriptura we read the term "image" in Gen 1:27 and can also turn to John 3:8 which states "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit." This clearly tells us that the nature of spirit cannot be seen or contained as in an image - only heard. Are you reading into scripture that image equates to that which Jesus claims is imageless? Image = imageless? See the problem? Sola Scriptura leads to the breakdown of language in this case - the word itself... and God is the word. He maintains the world through the power of His word.

I am curious as to where you support point #2 - the fall equating to ALL human disease and calamity.

Last edited:
Yes... to honor Tota Scriptura we read the term "image" in Gen 1:27 and can also turn to John 3:8 which states "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit." This clearly tells us that the nature of spirit cannot be seen or contained as in an image - only heard. Are you reading into scripture that image equates to that which Jesus claims is imageless? Image = imageless? See the problem? Sola Scriptura leads to the breakdown of language in this case - the word itself... and God is the word. He maintains the world through the power of His word.
1. I'm not exactly sure what your saying exactly with John 3:8.
What is the one argument that you're trying to make here as it seems like you have 5 different arguments that are tied together.
Would you like me to talk about the word "image" in John 3:8?
Where you can read the phrase, "the spirit can only be heard" in John 3:8?
Where it says that the nature of spirit cannot be contained in John 3:8
The usage of God is the word (a possible mistranslation of John 1:1?)
Or God maintaining the world through his word?
Or is there one question that would be a better one?

I'd like to only answer one, though.

I am curious as to where you support point #2 - the fall equating to ALL human disease and calamity.

#2 Well, if we talk about disease as viruses, say the flu. I don't believe that the flu was around by the end of Gen 3, and I don't think that an earthquake happened at the fall in Genesis 3 (for example).

I don't know how fast to go with these things. So I'll try to answer a question you haven't asked, which is "How do you support that diseases and calamities are a result of the fall, Mr. Radvermin?"
There was no death in the Garden of Eden until sin came. This is seen in God saying, "On the day you eat of it, you shall surely die." Gen 2:17.
We see that death does come as the next chapter has Cain killing Abel in Gen 4, and then the genealogy in Gen 5 repeatedly talking about who died.
How do people die? Many ways. Abel through murder, others through old age. A variety of ways as seen in scripture and real life.
Death in Rom 5:12 is a general statement of people dying, as there is no specifics mentioned. "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned--"
So, no, in Genesis 3 you don't read about people dying, it's just the curses. You have to look elsewhere for that (which is what I did hint at in the way I answered your question). But because death exists, mutated cells that kill humans eventually became a thing. The world got worse, (the first calamity recorded in the Bible being the flood which was a result of humans sinning).

But I can honestly say that based solely on Genesis 3, I can't say that you'll find diseases and calamities existing or occurring at the fall.

1. I'm not exactly sure what your saying exactly with John 3:8.
What is the one argument that you're trying to make here as it seems like you have 5 different arguments that are tied together.
Would you like me to talk about the word "image" in John 3:8?
Where you can read the phrase, "the spirit can only be heard" in John 3:8?
Where it says that the nature of spirit cannot be contained in John 3:8
The usage of God is the word (a possible mistranslation of John 1:1?)
Or God maintaining the world through his word?
Or is there one question that would be a better one?

I'd like to only answer one, though.

#2 Well, if we talk about disease as viruses, say the flu. I don't believe that the flu was around by the end of Gen 3, and I don't think that an earthquake happened at the fall in Genesis 3 (for example).

I don't know how fast to go with these things. So I'll try to answer a question you haven't asked, which is "How do you support that diseases and calamities are a result of the fall, Mr. Radvermin?"
There was no death in the Garden of Eden until sin came. This is seen in God saying, "On the day you eat of it, you shall surely die." Gen 2:17.
We see that death does come as the next chapter has Cain killing Abel in Gen 4, and then the genealogy in Gen 5 repeatedly talking about who died.
How do people die? Many ways. Abel through murder, others through old age. A variety of ways as seen in scripture and real life.
Death in Rom 5:12 is a general statement of people dying, as there is no specifics mentioned. "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned--"
So, no, in Genesis 3 you don't read about people dying, it's just the curses. You have to look elsewhere for that (which is what I did hint at in the way I answered your question). But because death exists, mutated cells that kill humans eventually became a thing. The world got worse, (the first calamity recorded in the Bible being the flood which was a result of humans sinning).

But I can honestly say that based solely on Genesis 3, I can't say that you'll find diseases and calamities existing or occurring at the fall.
Yes, you have to read into it based on a Scriptura Toto exercise which it seems on its surface to require you to read into those supporting scriptures as well for the backwards reference. It seems like a lot of reading into is going on here on both our accounts. I feel justified.

I can't even read into scripture where Adam and Eve were created immortal? Why the tree of life?

Yes, you have to read into it based on a Scriptura Toto exercise which it seems on its surface to require you to read into those supporting scriptures as well for the backwards reference. It seems like a lot of reading into is going on here on both our accounts. I feel justified.

I can't even read into scripture where Adam and Eve were created immortal? Why the tree of life?
I recognize that this is coming late, but I was disappointed in the last reply you gave, and I sensed that you claimed "victory" (in a sense).
But it's been nagging at me ever since you read it so I need to get this off my chest.

If you feel justified, please understand that I don't think you can tell the difference between what you were doing and what sola scriptura is, or the difference between what you were doing and what I was doing.
If you can, then I'm wrong and you have every right to feel justified. If not, beware of seeking being justified over understanding. I say this because if you get into a discussion over sola scriptura with someone else, a misunderstanding is going to hinder the conversation.

I do believe that you're on to other adventures, so ... blessings to you.

I recognize that this is coming late, but I was disappointed in the last reply you gave, and I sensed that you claimed "victory" (in a sense).
But it's been nagging at me ever since you read it so I need to get this off my chest.

If you feel justified, please understand that I don't think you can tell the difference between what you were doing and what sola scriptura is, or the difference between what you were doing and what I was doing.
If you can, then I'm wrong and you have every right to feel justified. If not, beware of seeking being justified over understanding. I say this because if you get into a discussion over sola scriptura with someone else, a misunderstanding is going to hinder the conversation.

I do believe that you're on to other adventures, so ... blessings to you.
I think I understand. Sola scriptura means only what's in scripture and tota scriptura means you can read into individual scriptures what isn't specifically in them by referring to related scriptures to complete a context even if that context requires the understanding of the entire scripture, OT and NT.

I however brought in an external historical perspective that takes into account how supernatural narratives occur in societies and cultures in order to respond to contemporary social/political realities and how myth, metaphor, and analogy were necessary to maintain an oral tradition. I understand that is a violation of Christian sola/tota scriptura on my part, but I believe the absence of such a growing landscape of historical and cultural data creates what you accuse me of in the negative in that I support a world-view by including data and you support a world-view though the exclusion of it.

Back